Pit Bull and Other Dog Attacks.

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to be a fan of the Dog Whisperer until I saw a show where he hit a dog. I was so angry, and I haven't watched it since.

REALLY? Wow! I've never seen him hit! I've seen him tap to get their attention, only the tap with the 'psssst' or 'hey' sound is what I've seen. He actually hit?

I am scared of Pitt's but I think they're beautiful and I do believe many are just fine. But which are fine and which aren't? As many have suggested, they seem to attack unprovoked... but so do other breeds. I had a doberman when I was in high school. The sweetest baby you have ever met. One day my niece was over and riding a tricycle and my doberman attacked her. My uncle is a vet and he said something about doberman's being overly inbred and they have smaller brains and the squeeking of the tricycle might have triggered the attack. (I'm not sure if I remember this correctly so don't hold this as the absolute truth of what my uncle said) When I was 12 I was attacked by a german shephard. However, we had german shephards when I was young and they were awesome dogs. I still have scars on my face from this attack.

I do believe any dog can attack but I also believe that there are certain breeds that do more damage. Dogs who have the locking jaw seem to do a lot more damage. My last dog was a lab/springer spaniel. I have a daycare and the kids could do anything to that dog and she wouldn't touch them. In fact she and I played fight and she wouldn't even bring her mouth down on me... she had what they call a soft mouth... which is known for bird dogs. Even though I didn't train this dog to have that soft mouth or to retrieve her tennis ball it was there from the moment we brought her home at 6 weeks. So it was inbred in her to know to retrieve and to have the soft mouth. This dog always had a ball in her mouth and if she couldn't find a ball then a rock. She would play catch until she was foaming.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't blame the dog, it's what was inbred in them. They were trained to fight and it's in their genes. I'm not sure how these traits are passed down through the genes when a puppy is never taught these actions but like my lab/springer.... she knew she was to bring a ball back from the time she was big enough to put a tennis ball in her mouth... no training required.

Pits do not have a locking jaw. This is a myth that has been around forever.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_Bull
The few studies which have been conducted of the structure of the skulls, mandibles and teeth of pit bulls show that, in proportion to their size, their jaw structure and thus its inferred functional morphology, is no different from that of any breed of dog.

There is absolutely no evidence for the existence of any kind of 'locking mechanism' unique to the structure of the jaw and/or teeth of the American Pit Bull Terrier.

http://www.happypitbull.com/myths.htm#1
Pit bulls do NOT have locking jaws. No dog of any breed has ever been found to possess a mechanism in their jaw which would allow them to "lock" their top and bottom jaw together. There is no such thing as a locking jaw.

http://www.pbrc.net/mediacenter/mediaqa.html#LockJaws
Question: Do Pit Bulls have locking jaws?
Answer: Prepared by:
Al W. Stinson, D.V.M.
Director of Legislative Affairs, Michigan Association for Pure Bred Dogs, and the Michigan Hunting Dog Federation, and a Member of the Board of Directors of the American Dog Owners Association

The following quote was sent to me from Dr. Howard Evans, Professor Emeritus, College of Veterinary Medicine at Cornell University, Ithaca New York. We were colleagues in the veterinary college for four years. He is the author of the textbook, ANATOMY OF THE DOG, (the world's definitive work on the anatomy of the dog). His statement was in a letter addressed to me on March 26. 2002. His quote was: "I have spoken with [Dr.] Sandy deLahunta (the foremost dog neurologist in the country) and [DR.] Katherine Houpt (a leading dog behaviorist) about a jaw locking mechanism in pit bulls or any other dog and they both say, as do I, that there is NO SUCH THING AS "JAW LOCKING" IN ANY BREED.

We all agree that the power of the bite is proportional to the size of the jaws and the jaw muscles. There is no anatomical structure that could be a locking mechanism in any dog." As a Professor Emeritus from the College of Veterinary Medicine at Michigan State University, I agree completely with their conclusion.

Pits do not have a locking jaw. This is a myth that has been around forever.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_Bull
The few studies which have been conducted of the structure of the skulls, mandibles and teeth of pit bulls show that, in proportion to their size, their jaw structure and thus its inferred functional morphology, is no different from that of any breed of dog.

There is absolutely no evidence for the existence of any kind of 'locking mechanism' unique to the structure of the jaw and/or teeth of the American Pit Bull Terrier.

http://www.happypitbull.com/myths.htm#1
Pit bulls do NOT have locking jaws. No dog of any breed has ever been found to possess a mechanism in their jaw which would allow them to "lock" their top and bottom jaw together. There is no such thing as a locking jaw.

http://www.pbrc.net/mediacenter/mediaqa.html#LockJaws
Question: Do Pit Bulls have locking jaws?
Answer: Prepared by:
Al W. Stinson, D.V.M.
Director of Legislative Affairs, Michigan Association for Pure Bred Dogs, and the Michigan Hunting Dog Federation, and a Member of the Board of Directors of the American Dog Owners Association

The following quote was sent to me from Dr. Howard Evans, Professor Emeritus, College of Veterinary Medicine at Cornell University, Ithaca New York. We were colleagues in the veterinary college for four years. He is the author of the textbook, ANATOMY OF THE DOG, (the world's definitive work on the anatomy of the dog). His statement was in a letter addressed to me on March 26. 2002. His quote was: "I have spoken with [Dr.] Sandy deLahunta (the foremost dog neurologist in the country) and [DR.] Katherine Houpt (a leading dog behaviorist) about a jaw locking mechanism in pit bulls or any other dog and they both say, as do I, that there is NO SUCH THING AS "JAW LOCKING" IN ANY BREED.

We all agree that the power of the bite is proportional to the size of the jaws and the jaw muscles. There is no anatomical structure that could be a locking mechanism in any dog." As a Professor Emeritus from the College of Veterinary Medicine at Michigan State University, I agree completely with their conclusion.
Hmmm, I was giving them that benefit of having that anatomical structure because many pit bulls won't let go once they've bitten.... where as most dogs will. Pits are known to just hang on even when they're being beaten off the victim. Sorry, I truly thought this was one of their attributes. Thanks for clearing that up.

Do American Pit Bull Terriers have incredible bite pressure, greater than any other breed of dog?

No! No! No! There is no accurate test to measure the PSI (pressure per square inch) of a Pit Bull or any other breed of dog. It has been shown that other breeds of dogs actually may (as there still is no conclusive test) have a harder bite. So, then why is it sometimes difficult to get a Pit Bull off of another creature? Well, the short answer - that is what they were bred for.

The breed was bred to hold on, at all costs.
Imagine if a bull-baiting dog suddenly let go of the bull’s nose (which immobilizes the bull) that would leave the bull free to kill the dog and kill the dog the bull would.

http://dogs.about.com/od/dogbreeds/a/pit_bull_faq.htm

I think these types of attacks occur with these types of dogs because the dogs are not trained or cared for properly.

I also believe that certain types of dogs match up with certain types of humans. Obviously I would never have a dog with an aggressive temperment around my child, or any child for that matter.

I think it's a matter of circumstance and training. So I blame humans.

Exactly. :clap:

My vote is to outlaw pitbull dogs. I have heard a few of the television judges (Judge Judy and Judge Marilyn ?? on People's Court) say that almost all of their dog cases involves pitbulls.

From various articles that I have read, they seem to be unpredictable at best. What is the point of owning a pitbull when there are so many other breeds of dogs?

Thank you Ntegrity. This is a very thoughtful post. Gives me pause.

So you are saying it's the poor breeding of the dogs now that are causing the seemingly increase in agressive behavior.

How does a person, who has a family, maybe even a small child, know for sure they are not getting a Pitbull that is poorly bred?

I would not get one if I had a small child. However, that's far from banning a breed.

poco,
I bought a sweet darling baby monkey several yrs ago. He was only 11 days old. He was dearly loved by all of us. He had his own room, TV, plenty of room to run around out doors. Could ramble in the trees etc etc.This little fella was loved, cherished & apart of our family.

That said, at the drop of a hat his mood changed. He could & would turn on anyone. I was his first victim, he decided one day he wasn't going to go into his cage & I for sure wasn't going to make him. He bit me / scratched me & I won the battle. But alas he never forgot.....it steadily got worse. We knew we were headed for trouble. I have alot of Grandkids & feared he'd bite or hurt one of them.

2 yrs ago we made the decision to put him into a sanctuary.....no place would take a spoiled monkey. He had to have a dilly bar every night & would cry til he got it. Trust me when I say we TRIED everything to find him a 'good' home, to no avail.

We had him put to sleep 2 yrs ago, the hardest thing we have ever done. We cried like babies for wks. Not a day goes by that I don't think of my Cheko. But it was for the best & everyone is safe & sound. It was the best decision we ever made!

The best decision was to never have had a monkey as a pet and to do some research before you bought one.

New here and i am not sure how to post links yet :blushing: But just this morning checking the local news website a woman was walking her dog, and 4 pits went through a fence and attacked her dog..amazingly her dog will be ok and she didnt get attacked. Now if i can only figure out how to post links..lol

Here's a great article:
CLICK FOR PICTURES
http://www.pitbullpress.com/ARTICLES/CASTRO.html

[FONT=Verdana, Georgia, Times New Roman]CASTRO VALLEY WOMAN DEFENDS DOGS[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Georgia, Times New Roman]author: Wendy Phillips[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Georgia, Times New Roman]source: The Daily Review[/FONT]

For Kris Crawford, it's not always easy being a dog owner. When the Castro Valley resident takes her dogs for a walk, people cross the street to avoid them. On Thursday, a woman slowed her car, rolled down her window and screamed: "Shame on you for owning those dogs!" Crawford has three pit bulls, the same breed that recently mauled a 10-year-old boy in Richmond. That incident is only the latest in a long series of public relations nightmares for pit bulls, and Crawford is tired of it.
[FONT=Verdana, Georgia, Times New Roman]Her dogs aren't killers. In fact, they save lives as part of the Alameda County Canine Search and Rescue Unit. They travel throughout Northern California, looking for missing people. Crawford says they seem to love their job. "Dakota will search until she drops. She wants to find people because she adores them." Crawford said of her star rescue dog, "I wouldn't use any other breed." [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Georgia, Times New Roman]With large heads, squat, muscular bodies and jaws that take hold and won't let go, pit bulls can look pretty scary. With their reputation as vicious fighting dogs, the breed can seem like real-life hounds of hell. Crawford said, however, there is nothing innately savage about pit bulls. It is the owners, not the dogs, who are to blame for incidents like the one in Richmond.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Georgia, Times New Roman]Pit bulls are highly intelligent and highly trainable. They have a huge desire to please their masters, and that can easily be directed in the wrong way," Crawford said. The stubborn nature that earns pits the reputation of vicious fighting dogs makes them ideal for search and rescue, Crawford said. And it is also why their jaws can hang on for so long. There is no special "locking mandible" as some newspaper articles have suggested. Dr. I. Lehr Brisbin, a University of Georgia veterinarian who has been an advocate for the pit bull, agrees. "There is absolutely no evidence for the existence of any kind of 'locking mechanism' unique to the jaw or teeth of the American Pit Bull Terrier," he said. Dr. Brisbin also said that the breed's refusal to let go comes from their bulldog ancestry and historic use as a hunting dog. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Georgia, Times New Roman]Crawford adopted her dogs off the streets as puppies, and only after doing extensive research into what makes the breed tick. Then she trained them hard, using only positive reinforcement methods. The result: dogs who would never attack but who might slobber victims to death. "The other search and rescue handlers have a joke that you haven't been properly rescued until you've been French-kissed by my dogs," Crawford said. Dakota, Cheyenne and Tahoe spread their message of safety and tail-wagging through a variety of other programs, as well. They participate in a youth outreach program called Hug-a-Tree, which teaches kids what to do if they are lost in the wilderness. In animal-assisted therapy, Crawford and her dogs go into hospitals and family shelters. "The visits achieve lower heart rates, (they) calm disturbed children (and) get uncommunicative people to talk," Crawford said.[/FONT]​

It is just not purely about the breed.​

Are there things that are just naturally inherent in certain races? Are they and could they be considered bad and used in a bad way? If so, should we stay away and keep those races out of our country/states/towns as well and or dictate that families should not associate with them?​

The same thing was happening not so long ago with German Shepherds and Rotties in another country, they were banning them. So we ban Pits, then they will start fighting and inbreeding GSD's, Rotties and Dobbie's and we'll be onto banning those breeds next.​

Here's a great article:
CLICK FOR PICTURES

Great article and information. I have had one pit for a short time and she was an angel. Smart as can be and loyal.
I have posted before that when I was growing up it was Doberman Pinchers that were the attacking breed du jour, oh and Rotts.
My dad sewed up many a victim of dobie and rott attacks.

New here and i am not sure how to post links yet :blushing: But just this morning checking the local news website a woman was walking her dog, and 4 pits went through a fence and attacked her dog..amazingly her dog will be ok and she didnt get attacked. Now if i can only figure out how to post links..lol

Welcome to Websleuths. You'll love it here. If not you get your money back, guaranteed
:dance:
Try going to our wonderful "Forum Finesse." I am sure one of our many WS'ers can explain easily to you about cutting and pasting links.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=53

Tricia

It's the inbreeding, if you're going to be a Bully owner you need to be a responsible Bully owner. Socialization at a young age is KEY!

I'd pretty much guarantee that the dogs that have attacked were both results of bad breeding and never socialized. How many were chained in their yards? How many were never played with as puppies and introduced to different scenarios?

Socialization is KEY to any dog being a good dog but it is an extremely important step in the upbringing of an aggressive type dog. Bullies, Rotties, Shepherds, Dobbies, Mastiffs, Akita's etc.

As a lot of you know, I have a male Bully and a male Rottie. They are the best of friends. I also have a 4 year old boy. Either of those dogs would willingly lay their life on the line if my son was in danger, no doubt.

I'm also no stupid enough to leave him alone in a room with them or ANY dog. Basically a dog is an animal, no matter how much you coddle them and treat them like a person, they are an animal and should be treated as such.

I love my dogs like kids and they probably eat and sleep better than most humans but the bottom line is, I will never underestimate them, EVER.

I don't care if they were a male poodle and a male dachsund, I wouldn't underestimate them or trust them completely.

Here's a great article:
CLICK FOR PICTURES

For Kris Crawford, it's not always easy being a dog owner. When the Castro Valley resident takes her dogs for a walk, people cross the street to avoid them. On Thursday, a woman slowed her car, rolled down her window and screamed: "Shame on you for owning those dogs!" Crawford has three pit bulls, the same breed that recently mauled a 10-year-old boy in Richmond. That incident is only the latest in a long series of public relations nightmares for pit bulls, and Crawford is tired of it.
[FONT=Verdana, Georgia, Times New Roman]Her dogs aren't killers. In fact, they save lives as part of the Alameda County Canine Search and Rescue Unit. They travel throughout Northern California, looking for missing people. Crawford says they seem to love their job. "Dakota will search until she drops. She wants to find people because she adores them." Crawford said of her star rescue dog, "I wouldn't use any other breed." [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Georgia, Times New Roman]With large heads, squat, muscular bodies and jaws that take hold and won't let go, pit bulls can look pretty scary. With their reputation as vicious fighting dogs, the breed can seem like real-life hounds of hell. Crawford said, however, there is nothing innately savage about pit bulls. It is the owners, not the dogs, who are to blame for incidents like the one in Richmond.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Georgia, Times New Roman]Pit bulls are highly intelligent and highly trainable. They have a huge desire to please their masters, and that can easily be directed in the wrong way," Crawford said. The stubborn nature that earns pits the reputation of vicious fighting dogs makes them ideal for search and rescue, Crawford said. And it is also why their jaws can hang on for so long. There is no special "locking mandible" as some newspaper articles have suggested. Dr. I. Lehr Brisbin, a University of Georgia veterinarian who has been an advocate for the pit bull, agrees. "There is absolutely no evidence for the existence of any kind of 'locking mechanism' unique to the jaw or teeth of the American Pit Bull Terrier," he said. Dr. Brisbin also said that the breed's refusal to let go comes from their bulldog ancestry and historic use as a hunting dog. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Georgia, Times New Roman]Crawford adopted her dogs off the streets as puppies, and only after doing extensive research into what makes the breed tick. Then she trained them hard, using only positive reinforcement methods. The result: dogs who would never attack but who might slobber victims to death. "The other search and rescue handlers have a joke that you haven't been properly rescued until you've been French-kissed by my dogs," Crawford said. Dakota, Cheyenne and Tahoe spread their message of safety and tail-wagging through a variety of other programs, as well. They participate in a youth outreach program called Hug-a-Tree, which teaches kids what to do if they are lost in the wilderness. In animal-assisted therapy, Crawford and her dogs go into hospitals and family shelters. "The visits achieve lower heart rates, (they) calm disturbed children (and) get uncommunicative people to talk," Crawford said.[/FONT]​

It is just not purely about the breed.​

Are there things that are just naturally inherent in certain races? Are they and could they be considered bad and used in a bad way? If so, should we stay away and keep those races out of our country/states/towns as well and or dictate that families should not associate with them?​

The same thing was happening not so long ago with German Shepherds and Rotties in another country, they were banning them. So we ban Pits, then they will start fighting and inbreeding GSD's, Rotties and Dobbie's and we'll be onto banning those breeds next.​
OT.......Frank is absoutley beautiful.

I agree. Most of the problem comes with people that know how this breed is 'popular' and the backyard breeding took off, BIG TIME! Unfortunately, with this came inbreeding. When considering a Pit, you HAVE to consider a good reputable breeder. Does this mean that you can't rescue a Pit from a Pit bull rescue, no. Much of it has to do with how the dog is raised too. I used to babysit a friends Pit when they'd go on vaca, and they always went all over the place. I already had two dogs at the time and two cats. His name was Bugsy. Bugsy, as a puppy was curious of his grandparents (his owners parents) cats and walked up to them when visiting them. He got his nose scratched up. Bugsy was put in his place and was terrified of cats! Even at 8 years old staying with me, Bugsy would walk backwards when he saw the cats. He was terrified!!! He farted up a storm, never growled and waited his turn to eat. He was the laziest thing ever. He passed away last year.

Some are hard headed to train and you have to stay on them. A friends pup was staying with me and at three months, she'd have a bit of an attitude with my 85 lb Ridgeback mix, I corrected her, over and over and told my friend that she had to continue to socialize her as much as possible, she is a very socialized dog now.

I will also say that another thing that I think is important is that, SOCIALIZING!!! This is sooooo important. This is why a dog on a chain is not good. Any thing that comes up to it, is a perceived threat. The more socialized your dog is, the better, with humans, adults, children and other dogs (small and big)

Banning a breed is a bad idea IMO. As the poster above stated, she has Huskies. Huskies are supposed to see cats as prey. Well, I have a big ol' Malamute. Malamutes look a lot like a Husky, just bigger and are also supposed to see cats as prey and they tell you that it is a powerful dog and that it is a dominant, stubborn dog. Well, he is stubborn. But my dog, for whatever reason, loves cats. He doesn't chase them, when I give them their treats right in front of him, he doesn't even make a MOVE to try to take them from them. I have a cat that is missing her tail and she is fascinated by Frank's tail...and tries to steal it...by attacking it when he wags it...Frank does nothing....Should he be banned cause he is SUPPOSED to hate cats? Frank was a rescue, btw.

Ok, I've gone on long enough! LOL!
My huskies are scared to death of my cat!! Of course she is part maine coon and huge, but SHE runs this house.

Okay guys story time. My BF was coming home after a night of drinking with HS buddies and was attacked by a pit. My Sataroo and Okie(old husky) heard this, broke through my window to get to him. Sad but that dog killed my okie. While Okie was still in the pits mouth my Sataroo killed that dog in 2 seconds flat..NO LIE!! Now one would think with me seeing this I would hate these dogs as my BF does. But I dont. That dog that killed my baby was a dog that had broke free from its chain and was scared to death. The point to my story is just because you dont think they are provoked, doesnt mean that something you are not seeing made them be that way. This dog was a crack dealers dog and it was on a 2 foot chain. Of course when it broke free it had no interaction with humans and really no life. Do I blame that dog for my Okies death...NO I blame the crack dealer that had him chained up.

My vote is to outlaw pitbull dogs. I have heard a few of the television judges (Judge Judy and Judge Marilyn ?? on People's Court) say that almost all of their dog cases involves pitbulls.

From various articles that I have read, they seem to be unpredictable at best. What is the point of owning a pitbull when there are so many other breeds of dogs?
Hey Nan, here in Indy if they dont know what kind of dog it is they call it a pit. I know this firsthand. I have seen a boxer been named a pit. I have seen a beagle mix called a pit as well!

It's the inbreeding, if you're going to be a Bully owner you need to be a responsible Bully owner. Socialization at a young age is KEY!

I'd pretty much guarantee that the dogs that have attacked were both results of bad breeding and never socialized. How many were chained in their yards? How many were never played with as puppies and introduced to different scenarios?

Socialization is KEY to any dog being a good dog but it is an extremely important step in the upbringing of an aggressive type dog. Bullies, Rotties, Shepherds, Dobbies, Mastiffs, Akita's etc.

As a lot of you know, I have a male Bully and a male Rottie. They are the best of friends. I also have a 4 year old boy. Either of those dogs would willingly lay their life on the line if my son was in danger, no doubt.

I'm also no stupid enough to leave him alone in a room with them or ANY dog. Basically a dog is an animal, no matter how much you coddle them and treat them like a person, they are an animal and should be treated as such.

I love my dogs like kids and they probably eat and sleep better than most humans but the bottom line is, I will never underestimate them, EVER.

I don't care if they were a male poodle and a male dachsund, I wouldn't underestimate them or trust them completely.
I was wondering when you were going to get here...LOL

I totally agree, I was just throwing it out there. My German Shorthaired Pointer didn't even reach "average." I agree, a control group would be ideal, and every dogs temperment cannot be lumped in with other dogs. Just like no two people are alike, neither are any two dogs.
Every breed of dog has characteristics that define the breed. These are positive and negative traits (physical & temperament). The traits that describe the "perfect" specimen of the breed is a result of a long line of selective breeding. Breeding the best to the best...not only to keep those traits, but to improve on them. The pits we read about attacking are very far from the breed standards or mixes. Those are the ones getting media attention...I've never heard of a show quality pit attacking anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fiend_nyx