GUILTY (PLED) CT - Jeffrey, 56, & Jeanette Navin, 55, Easton, 4 Aug 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
IIRC, the mom had mentioned to friends they were going to cut KN out of their wills. I wonder if that was purely a "you're disowned" action or based on earlier threats K made. If there was a history of death threats, it would explain why the dad assumed K did something when he couldn't reach Jeanette... IMHO, etc.

They were not elderly people, it seems very odd to me they would be thinking about removing their troubled twenty-something from their wills. Especially when they had an ongoing relationship with him, it's not like they had disowned him in other respects.

They were not elderly people, it seems very odd to me they would be thinking about removing their troubled twenty-something from their wills. Especially when they had an ongoing relationship with him, it's not like they had disowned him in other respects.

I think that the discussion was broader than that -- they were going to sell the business that employed KN and seemed to be trying to get themselves unentangled from him by forcing a sale of the house that he was living in (at least that's what it sounded like to me, given that the house was listed for a while in April and in May KN was texting that he'd found a solution that would allow him to stay in the house.) Perhaps they had to alter the will anyway because they had previously been planning to will him part of the business, which they knew they would not own for much longer. It sounds like they were just totally at the end of their rope with him.

No job, no house, and he was an addict. It seems like he was desperate and felt like this was the solution.

Probably his house.
I don't think he can get a fair trial actually. I bet a lot of people in the jury pool in the county know them in some way or another or heard of the case. They were missing for three months. It was all of the newspapers and TV.

I've wondered why he doesn't enter a plea.
Weird that capital punishment was banned in ct in August. (?Just after they went missing)
I doubt he can plead not guilty.
I guess KN will be fighting for a chance at parole. As opposed to life without.

I wonder what will happen.
Sad for the family

The defense atty is certainly going to ask for a change of venue, or to select a jury from a different county to be brought in for the trial, IMO. I agree that prolly everybody knows everybody, STS, in the area. To not ask the judge for that could be a point of appeal later, perhaps.

As for plea -- KN has no choice but to plead not guilty -- the only alternative is to plead guilty -- therefore no trial -- get sentenced by the judge -- and go directly to jail. I hope he's listening to his attorney.

He certainly ought to try to plead down, but IMO, there's no way the prosecutor's office would even consider it. I'm thinking son Kyle is is not the brightest bulb that's ever been. I would really like to know how KN and his atty discuss this biznezz.

I will say that I cannot imagine the prosecutor even thinking one minute about a sentence that offers parole -- no way, no how. No. Not after what that ungrateful son did to his parents. No.

I wonder what will happen, as well. And it is a sad, sad thing for their family and all of their friends. The Navins have apparently been in that general area for quite a while. What a shock.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by anonymess

IIRC, the mom had mentioned to friends they were going to cut KN out of their wills. I wonder if that was purely a "you're disowned" action or based on earlier threats K made. If there was a history of death threats, it would explain why the dad assumed K did something when he couldn't reach Jeanette... IMHO, etc.

Yep-there had to be a reason for Jeffrey Navin to have texted that. I think it's because of some prior action or words from KN in that vein. Otherwise, who would think of it?

Hmmm... Hadn't thought of that -- makes a lot of sense. Surely does. Creepy.

I wonder if the parents knew about KN's heroin use. If they offered him to go into treatment and he lashed out. That could have been the breaking point.

JV instigating did not help matters at all. S$!t stirrer.

I wonder if the parents knew about KN's heroin use. If they offered him to go into treatment and he lashed out. That could have been the breaking point.

JV instigating did not help matters at all. S$!t stirrer.

I think they probably did. He was being seen at a spine/pain clinic in Trumbull after his most recent work-related injury. I would imagine that his parents had a hand in getting him referred there and that J&J had a hand in paying the claims. The warrant revealed that an anonymous tipster said that he was kicked out of the program for testing positive for heroin in a routine screen, and it's hard for me to believe that they wouldn't have found that out, even if it was technically PHI, since they were footing the bill, in all likelihood.

This no doubt will be very unpopular.

I agree. I've been thinking about that a lot.
Why? j and J were young. Was it an on going
Threat and or conversation? Did they always say if you don't do this or that we will write you off and out of our will.? Bizzaar - sorry.

They set it up so that they gave him but also controlled everything. ( good $ after bad?)Then leveraged that over him while he was spiraling downward. they told and complained about him and brought that up to everyone too. Gross.
Writing him off and out of the will.
Was that the only tool they had? Their personal finances weren't all that great. Come on reread the first posts in this thread. Not around here. Massive wealth - massive family estates.
Why were they particularly obsessed with that as the final option last resort?

I would like to know A Lot.
What happened in that dcf report? He was already almost too old by then for the dcf system by 2oo6 imo. Did kn have a mental health diagnosis in k-12 ? Did they ever go to family counseling? Did KN ever go to rehab?

The spine center in Trumbull is not rehab. That is a real spine center ( therapy and laser spine surgery) great dr.

If kn ever threatened to kill them or anyone ever...showed signs of emotional problems - Was obsessed with guns ...Why didn't they drive him to a hospital. Call the PD?
Ummmm ( report him for the offense they arrested him for /having guns and addiction to controlled or illegal drugs ) People have to stop sticking their heads in the sand. And denying their problems . And drive their children and grown adult children too - to the hospital to a mental health professional.

Very upsetting.
I mean even the police department in Weston washed their hands of the family and the case. 500 feet from the police department and where jn worked. Gmab

Sorry I'm super Bummed. Disgusted. Traumatized.

I'm sure no one will agree with me but,( KN and TN were in my home and My kids were also in theirs) Being that KN may not be a threat to anyone else other than Jand j - I do think he should be eligible for parole in 25 years.
My opinion only. Don't shoot me.

They should have gotten this under control a long time ago.
They just sold their house, they could have provided him with high quality rehab.

Our families - our kids friends families - if we see something say something.

Forgive my rant.
Ty

Mork,

I really appreciate your perspective and of course you knew them and saw the relationship first hand, so I don't at all doubt your observations. I just can't really agree -- from what we do know -- that his parents didn't do enough for him.

I grew up in a community in Northern Westchester that was very similar to Westport and surrounding communities, so I think I understand the area and culture pretty well. I know some parents do a lot for their kids -- and support them well into adulthood. I guess I'm old school, but I think that 27 years old is old enough for an adult to stand on his own two feet.

He, like most people in Fairfield county, grew up with advantages that at least 70%, if not 90% of the country could only dream of. He was given a good education and lived in a pretty and safe environment. I don't know if the Navins were ideal parents, but I am sure that there are worse and that they did their best. They provided him with a good elementary and secondary education, roof over his head and an income, and as far as I can tell from the texts, their generosity was met with the basest in gratitude.

He and his girlfriend texted with indignation about how his father was 'all over him' when he didn't go to work -- well, in the world most of us live in, we wouldn't even have jobs if we made absenteeism a habit. KN felt entitled to his job, to the house they purchased for him, he was irresponsible (e.g., didn't pay the taxes) and greedy. His qualifications left him with fairly limited job prospects in today's economy, which his parents helped him with by giving him a job and the title General Manager -- which is a great job to have on a resume and use as a springboard to other things -- an opportunity squandered. I cannot even fathom that level of dependence on my parents at his age, especially since he had the 3 extra years that he didn't spend in school to build his independence. He had nine post-high school years to get it together.

Did he have a sports injury? Yes, it sounds like he did. But thousands of people, my husband -- a former college football player -- included, have very serious and painful injuries without becoming addicted to heroin. I really just can't blame J&J who for all we know were struggling with trying to nudge him out of the nest for the last 8-9 years.

It also doesn't sound like Jeanette was blabbing to anyone who would listen about her son's drug problems. As far as I know, she told a close friend, and the close friend told people only after she showed up missing.

I don't mean to be argumentative or offensive, but I really do think it's bizarre and unusual and very bad to kill ones' parents, even if they were hard on him emotionally or verbally. He always had the option to become more independent. He didn't, and I don't think that's their fault.

Do we know that they never tried to get KN help? Or that they took him for therapy? Or if he was ever admitted to a mental health facility?

I don't know.
So, I maintain my opinion.
KN murdered his parents. In cold blood. Dumped their bodies.
Many people grow up with crappy and abusive parents. That is no excuse, IMO.

Neither is drug addiction. Just my two cents.

Mork,

I really appreciate your perspective and of course you knew them and saw the relationship first hand, so I don't at all doubt your observations. I just can't really agree -- from what we do know -- that his parents didn't do enough for him.

I grew up in a community in Northern Westchester that was very similar to Westport and surrounding communities, so I think I understand the area and culture pretty well. I know some parents do a lot for their kids -- and support them well into adulthood. I guess I'm old school, but I think that 27 years old is old enough for an adult to stand on his own two feet.

He, like most people in Fairfield county, grew up with advantages that at least 70%, if not 90% of the country could only dream of. He was given a good education and lived in a pretty and safe environment. I don't know if the Navins were ideal parents, but I am sure that there are worse and that they did their best. They provided him with a good elementary and secondary education, roof over his head and an income, and as far as I can tell from the texts, their generosity was met with the basest in gratitude.

He and his girlfriend texted with indignation about how his father was 'all over him' when he didn't go to work -- well, in the world most of us live in, we wouldn't even have jobs if we made absenteeism a habit. KN felt entitled to his job, to the house they purchased for him, he was irresponsible (e.g., didn't pay the taxes) and greedy. His qualifications left him with fairly limited job prospects in today's economy, which his parents helped him with by giving him a job and the title General Manager -- which is a great job to have on a resume and use as a springboard to other things -- an opportunity squandered. I cannot even fathom that level of dependence on my parents at his age, especially since he had the 3 extra years that he didn't spend in school to build his independence. He had nine post-high school years to get it together.

Did he have a sports injury? Yes, it sounds like he did. But thousands of people, my husband -- a former college football player -- included, have very serious and painful injuries without becoming addicted to heroin. I really just can't blame J&J who for all we know were struggling with trying to nudge him out of the nest for the last 8-9 years.

It also doesn't sound like Jeanette was blabbing to anyone who would listen about her son's drug problems. As far as I know, she told a close friend, and the close friend told people only after she showed up missing.

I don't mean to be argumentative or offensive, but I really do think it's bizarre and unusual and very bad to kill ones' parents, even if they were hard on him emotionally or verbally. He always had the option to become more independent. He didn't, and I don't think that's their fault.

I know Ski and momof4
I agree with what you both said so much too if that's possible.
Those crazy texts back and forth and the premeditation - unbelievable.
but that's just it.
No one - literally no one -that I know around here even if they're super wealthy - supports their kids in the ways that they did.
Everyone's kids that are the exact same age as KN are either barely just out of our homes or they're living in a veritable teeny postage stamp of an apartment. Let alone a 2,000 sq foot house and qualify for a mortgage. Wow They can barely even qualify for a rental ( based on new approval standards ) A lot of them have given up their cars because they live in the city or have no parking or $ for parking between student college loans. It's not easy for them in that age group.
So kn definitely had a lot. A lot to lose - every opportunity I agree. What a waste.

What do you think the best reason would be to lock him away for life? As a deterrent for others? To not kill their family or get family members help? I can see that reasoning.

I can see and agree with everyone's points of view here too.

I agree with Skigirl. I can tell you know them personally Mork and I respect your honesty too. I know your heart hurts. But there is no excuse for KN to do what he did. He could have done the hard thing and went to rehab and detached from his parents. But he declared himself judge jury and executioner. He robbed Taylor of his parents and all their relatives of J and J. It wasn't his call to take their lives. He doesn't deserve to live his life outside prison ever again. He is where he should be. Forever.

Everyone's compassion really shines through in their posts. I have to say that this case gets me very emotional. As a parent and as a child.

Mork, I know you are heartbroken over this. Having known the family and having known KN as a child. It is absolutely devastating on so many levels. The thought of KN, possibly, having been abused at the hands or mouths of his parents is horrific.

However, KN committed the ultimate and most heinous crime. There are no do-overs for him, IMO. He deserves to be punished to the full extent. And even that, will never undo the pain and agony the family will live with.

No sympathy from this Mom.

Mork - IMO you have been played by a sociopath. That is what they do - act like a victim to get sympathy. KN's texts made my skin crawl - calling his GF 'little one' - spent many years of my life dealing with a sociopath and it was all so familiar. The ingratiating manipulation in the texts. Their entire life and personality is a lie; so 'nice'... so 'charismatic'. You don't know who they really are until they turn on you. Then the mask comes off and it is very, very ugly.

Mork - IMO you have been played by a sociopath. That is what they do - act like a victim to get sympathy. KN's texts made my skin crawl - calling his GF 'little one' - spent many years of my life dealing with a sociopath and it was all so familiar. The ingratiating manipulation in the texts. Their entire life and personality is a lie; so 'nice'... so 'charismatic'. You don't know who they really are until they turn on you. Then the mask comes off and it is very, very ugly.

I know. Ugh the texts do make my skin crawl too.
Little one... And others What else efficient little lover - vomit.

Speaking of which last week not to be overly "dramatical" I did physical get ill while reading the moms report ( gun shot torso AND extremities ) I am heartbroken as someone said.
Maybe I'm being or was played by a sociopath maybe you are right an 8-12 year old sociopath? That was the last time I let my kid who was KNs friend be over there. Two occasions I still have not shared here was enough of them for me. But it was not KN. or to Kn at all it was towards me - and that is why I am sooooo totally wrecked and haunted. I wish she was here to defend herself. I really do. I would love to talk to her. I wish they were safe and sound.
After that I did see her with other kids and mine is the schools she did a great job there. She really did.
Question:
Are sociopaths born or made? I'll have to do a search, I don't know much about these things ,heroin addicts and social psychopathy.
There were lots of times though that I brought my kids to tutors, Drs, therapists and other professionals though. I said no to lots of their ideas, let them fail sometimes too. I made them apologize.
So damned scary.
Really think about it .... the sociopath killer to be - right there on your school bus , in your house on a play date, kids school band, extra curricular team.

I know I have to get a grip.
I have to move.
{{{{{{everybody}}}}}}
Thanks

I know. Ugh the texts do make my skin crawl too.
Little one... And others What else efficient little lover - vomit.

Speaking of which last week not to be overly "dramatical" I did physical get ill while reading the moms report ( gun shot torso AND extremities ) I am heartbroken as someone said.
Maybe I'm being or was played by a sociopath maybe you are right an 8-12 year old sociopath? That was the last time I let my kid who was KNs friend be over there. Two occasions I still have not shared here was enough of them for me. But it was not KN. or to Kn at all it was towards me - and that is why I am sooooo totally wrecked and haunted. I wish she was here to defend herself. I really do. I would love to talk to her. I wish they were safe and sound.
After that I did see her with other kids and mine is the schools she did a great job there. She really did.
Question:
Are sociopaths born or made? I'll have to do a search, I don't know much about these things ,heroin addicts and social psychopathy.
There were lots of times though that I brought my kids to tutors, Drs, therapists and other professionals though. I said no to lots of their ideas, let them fail sometimes too. I made them apologize.
So damned scary.
Really think about it .... the sociopath killer to be - right there on your school bus , in your house on a play date, kids school band, extra curricular team.

I know I have to get a grip.
I have to move.
{{{{{{everybody}}}}}}
Thanks

Did Kyle have behavior issues as a child?
https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001537.htm
Symptoms of Oppositional Defiant Disorder:
  • Actively does not follow adults' requests
  • Angry and resentful of others
  • Argues with adults
  • Blames others for own mistakes
  • Has few or no friends or has lost friends
  • Is in constant trouble in school
  • Loses temper
  • Is spiteful or seeks revenge
  • Is touchy or easily annoyed

Undiagnosed/untreated Oppositional Defiant Disorder can lead to 'antisocial personality disorder' (sociopathy).
https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000921.htm
A person with antisocial personality disorder may:
  • Be able to act witty and charming
  • Be good at flattery and manipulating other people's emotions
  • Break the law repeatedly
  • Disregard the safety of self and others
  • Have problems with substance abuse
  • Lie, steal, and fight often
  • Not show guilt or remorse
  • Often be angry or arrogant

it is so odd that you would have your son employed with you if you didn't get along w him at all. then you have to deal w him all day.

Ahem...

During the course of the investigation, detectives reportedly learned that Jeffrey Navin had a "history of being emotionally and verbally abusive towards his son, Kyle Navin, including an investigation by the Department of Children and Families" in 2006.

Kyle's younger brother allegedly told investigators that the relationship between his brother and parents was "not good at all."

When Kyle's brother was informed that his brother was a person of interest in the disappearance of his parents, he reportedly said, "When I heard my parents were missing I thought to myself, they either went on vacation or my brother did something to them."

http://www.thehour.com/news/weston/...cle_7e456d70-57a7-5155-947d-a61d05d083c8.html

it is so odd that you would have your son employed with you if you didn't get along w him at all. then you have to deal w him all day.

You know, I think that maybe this was an attempt by the parents to keep an eye on him and (maybe) ensure that he doesn't get in "trouble". I'm sure it wasn't easy for KN or his parents to have to deal with each other on a daily basis.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissa D.
Back