Poll for the Armchair Psychologists

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

What Psychological Disorder do you think Jodi may have?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I truly believe in listening to your instincts, go with your gut. If someone makes you uncomfortable...you get a bad feeling, TAKE HEED!

For me, I know instinctually when I see a psychopath in action. I can actually feel it and my body reacts. I've studied them for about 18 years now. The moment I saw Jodi in a tv interview... I knew exactly what she was.

IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Linda! Someone wrote a book ... it was all the rage some years back ... It was all about natural instincts and how much weight we ought to afford them in protecting ourselves. I wish I could remember what it was called. I read it at the time .... Geez... everyone says your hearing is the first to go... I'm going with memory being the first!

ETA: BAM! I remembered ... The Gift of Fear ... Gavin Becker.

Don't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday, though.

Could it be that we are drawn to this case because on some level we can identify with personalities of TA/JA. We ask ourselves who are the wolves in sheep clothing in our own social circles? How can we see the jodi's of this world? What are the red flags that identify these potential killers? How come travis let her into his home even though he knew she was unstable? Questions that we desperately ask and speculate the answers. The trial finished but all the secrets not revealed. We foolishly tell ourselves that we would
recognize the Jodi's of the world. Our heads filled with the horror of this crime and we retreat inward and trust nobody. Reaching out to my fellow man, is always with risk, but one I'm willing take. Each day we decide am I a child of light or darkness. This thread is filled with many that want to share and teach through compassion. I have not lost faith in mankind. It is still worth the risk to reach out to others.

Yes, I couldn't agree more! I've asked myself WHY am I so obsessed with this case, and along with all of the obvious answers, it's because I worry for my children and for myself. Could I get sucked in by someone like this? A neighbor? A co-worker? Someone that could hurt me or my family? I wonder if I would recognize it. Maybe NOW I would since I've learned a lot. I know what to look out for. It's so true that there's so much we don't know and never will know. She was about to kill someone else when she was arrested (she had a gun and a knife, I think), so at least that didn't happen.

I truly believe in listening to your instincts, go with your gut. If someone makes you uncomfortable...you get a bad feeling, TAKE HEED!

For me, I know instinctually when I see a psychopath in action. I can actually feel it and my body reacts. I've studied them for about 18 years now. The moment I saw Jodi in a tv interview... I knew exactly what she was.

IMO

That's fascinating, Linda. I was immediately fascinated by her when I saw the interview she did in her jail clothes a few years ago--a "press conference" they called it. Then, later, I saw the 48 hours video. I honestly don't remember if I believed her or not when I had no evidence before me. But as soon as I learned about the evidence, I knew she was guilty.

But before I knew about the evidence, I know for sure that I was struck by her use of language. I'm an English teacher and I have an MFA in Creative Writing, so I'm fascinated by language. I know that people have said things like, "She uses big words incorrectly to try to seem smart," and that may be true, but at the same time, I was struck by her precision of language. I'm 42, so I've been around a while, and I've been around my father, who is a professor, and I spent four years with fellow writers in my MFA program, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone speak so precisely. It was as if she had had time to craft each sentence perfectly with a thesaurus in hand and come up with just the right slightly formal word choices. For example, when asked, "Why did you break up?" she said, "A breach of trust." Most people wouldn't say that unless they were writing a memoir, no matter how educated. They would say, "He cheated on me" or "He had an affair." When asked about the attraction between them, she said, "It found an outlet on occasion" not "We hooked up every once in a while" or "We had chemistry."

What in the world does that say about her and how does it tie into her mental "issues" whatever they may be? It just really jumped out at me. On the stand, she was also very precise, and of course, she and JM often argued about very small word choices! The pigtails were not "sexy" she said, they were "cute." I could go on and on.

That's fascinating, Linda. I was immediately fascinated by her when I saw the interview she did in her jail clothes a few years ago--a "press conference" they called it. Then, later, I saw the 48 hours video. I honestly don't remember if I believed her or not when I had no evidence before me. But as soon as I learned about the evidence, I knew she was guilty.

But before I knew about the evidence, I know for sure that I was struck by her use of language. I'm an English teacher and I have an MFA in Creative Writing, so I'm fascinated by language. I know that people have said things like, "She uses big words incorrectly to try to seem smart," and that may be true, but at the same time, I was struck by her precision of language. I'm 42, so I've been around a while, and I've been around my father, who is a professor, and I spent four years with fellow writers in my MFA program, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone speak so precisely. It was as if she had had time to craft each sentence perfectly with a thesaurus in hand and come up with just the right slightly formal word choices. For example, when asked, "Why did you break up?" she said, "A breach of trust." Most people wouldn't say that unless they were writing a memoir, no matter how educated. They would say, "He cheated on me" or "He had an affair." When asked about the attraction between them, she said, "It found an outlet on occasion" not "We hooked up every once in a while" or "We had chemistry."

What in the world does that say about her and how does it tie into her mental "issues" whatever they may be? It just really jumped out at me. On the stand, she was also very precise, and of course, she and JM often argued about very small word choices! The pigtails were not "sexy" she said, they were "cute." I could go on and on.

I agree with you about her use of language.

What strikes me is her lack of words that depict emotion, and any attachment of emotion to the words she uses. She uses words like she's penning a script, not re telling her story of abuse, horror, fear... Remorse, regret, empathy...etc.

:wave:

Attention Please!

The Rules - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I recently removed several posts for violations of our TOS rules. Above is the link to Websleuths Rules and Regulations. If there's a question about some of these rules, please go to the above link and review the various threads displayed there.

Please take special note:

1. Attack the post, not the poster.

2. Do not discuss moderation in the open thread. If you have a question about the rules, please pm a moderator.

3. The subject of religion is against our rules. We've gone over this several times within this forum. Please abide by this.

4. If you feel a post is attacking you, please use the little red triangle at the top of each post to report the post to a moderator. Do not discuss it in the open thread because then your post will be removed also.

5. Agree to disagree and move on. Or there's also the ignore feature available to each member to use in your profile.

6. Finally, Websleuths is a victim friendly forum. Travis Alexander and his family and friends and the murderer's family, are all victims of this crime. They are not open to discussion.

If you have any questions after reviewing all of the above, please contact me or any moderator working this forum. All moderators working in the Travis Alexander forum, are noted on the lower right portion of the first page of the forum.

hth,
fran

I can't for the life of me understand why Jodi looked so smug today.

It seems as if she sets up the lie before they get to ask the question that would expose it. She always tries to have this "one step ahead" approach:

Examples of her one step ahead behavior are evident in:

*her trying to contact Travis's family members and detectives before she was even charged to try and seal her own alibi.*

*her contacting News before trial to talk about her innocence (obvious gain right ther for her), but also how she would want the death penalty if she killed him - something she could say later if convicted of first degree to try and corroborate a "faux" plea for death, inducing a sort of reverse psychology on the jury - making them give her life rather than death... What she wanted all along.

*her contacting Fox News before her Verdict was read to set up an interview in hopes of improving her own image/have a sense of control in the outcome of trial*

*her calling Travis's cell phone to leave 3 messages that she scripted to distance herself from the crime scene*

I agree that much of her language is also subject to their quick thinking, emotionless, one step ahead behavior!

She sounds scripted. She is an avid reader and has a vast lexicon of characterizations/phrases/diction to pull from. Also we know that her verbal skills on her IQ test were among her highest marks. So her manipulative strengths are probably centered more in left brain faculties like speech and writing/drawing.

She is the type of personality that will have thought out her manipulative alibi so deeply that she has taken note AHEAD of time about all of the possible inconsistencies in her own alibi/story.

She is emotionally disconnected from her words. So when she says something, there's no cognitive dissonance... Even if she lies!

So she is able to move seemlessly through memories or thoughts without the thought process being slowed down by the brain having to refer to the emotional aspects/sections of the brain. I hope this makes sense.

Additionally, her words are her tools of manipulation. So when JM called her Braids Sexy, she understood that The connotation of sexy would make her appear like a femme fetale and she preferred the connotation of "cute" - a word she intentionally used to try and back up the "innocent cute nerdy girl" mask she has put on for this trial....

She loves words. They are her key to control and manipulate.

Her car when the police picked her up and charged her Was a rental... And it was filled with boxes of books. And at the bottom... A gun (not the same one used to kill Travis) and two knives.

What symbolism... Her preferred tools of murder are guns, knives,... And books.

I'm convinced she liked to read bc she is so fragmented she has no real prime identity or personality . *

So she would get ideas for different masks to wear/characters to act like/mimic *from those books. *They were her guides to personalities as she herself doesn't have a true personality/identity.

If one truly at their core has no identity or personality, it could be said that they do not know themselves. This inability to create a prime identity to better fit into society might make one anti social.

The insecurity at the core of this lack of her prime identity would also be likely to affect her deeply. She may have became narcissistic bc it became her coping mechanism for feeling/appearing empty, emotionless, faceless.

I think this lack of awareness or flat our refusal to accept her insecurities/faults (narcissism) breeds characteristics of paranoia. She would not understand that her true enemy was her misinterperitations of her surroundings and own choices, rather than other people or situations being at fault instead. If you notice with Jodi, it's always everyone else's fault.

]

Maybe she caught it...

She is moving into her fragmented self. Emotionless and only self oriented/self nurturing. She looks like she realizes no one is buying her "poor little me" role. She starting to look rude.

She is moving into her fragmented self. Emotionless and only self oriented/self nurturing. She looks like she realizes no one is buying her "poor little me" role. She starting to look rude.

I thought she looked like a throat-slash-miming-murderess-with-a-devil-shaped-labia who NEEDS the big lethal painful needle to make the world, and all the good folks in it, whole and pure once more.

Mere rudeness would be an improvement.

How do you think she spent the rest of the day today and this evening ?

Thinking about what?

How do you think she spent the rest of the day today and this evening ?

Thinking about what?

Hmmmm idk. What are yoir thought on what she would be thinking after today?

finding the only person who will speak on her behalf in the end is herself, she speaks tomorrow. I'm sure she is in self pity " lonely" mode. Full on.

I'm assuming tonight she is trying to discover and memorize the "correct" words, literally, of what to say tomorrow in her testimony.

She is going to try to play the victim as she probably is in super self nurturing mode and "on her own". She's enough of a narcissist to still believe that she is a victim of her own self created damnation. She will probably sit up there and play off the fact that she knows she destroyed lives and is sorry and she will not speak negatively of Travis. If anything she will creepily speak highly of him which will further infuriate his family.

Essentially I see her trying to gear up for the role of her life: someone who cares and is accountable. She's training herself to get into this character as we all write about this. She will be confident and poised. She will try to seem like the martyr. But she will do something to still get one last dig in. Maybe say "when I get to heaven I'm going to tell Travis sorry like I told you sorry today"

It will be a backhanded apology, but very subliminal and not concrete enough to hold against her/judge her on later.

I thought she looked like a throat-slash-miming-murderess-with-a-devil-shaped-labia who NEEDS the big lethal painful needle to make the world, and all the good folks in it, whole and pure once more.

Mere rudeness would be an improvement.

Talking about her countenance in court today specifically. Someone said she looked smug. And I agree she looked smug or rude. Whereas other days she has tried to play this wide eyed/helpless expression she recently had when hearing the victims impact statement and in other times during the case.

Hey Linda! Someone wrote a book ... it was all the rage some years back ... It was all about natural instincts and how much weight we ought to afford them in protecting ourselves. I wish I could remember what it was called. I read it at the time .... Geez... everyone says your hearing is the first to go... I'm going with memory being the first!

ETA: BAM! I remembered ... The Gift of Fear ... Gavin Becker.

Don't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday, though.

What a coincidence, I was thinking about that book ( and some of its' pearls of wisdom) the other day but just could not remember the title,thanks for reminding me!

Notice that even when Travis's sister and brother have their impact statements, Jodi sat facing them with her head held high.

Sure, she looked shocked as she heard how her horrific actions effected Travis's family for generations. She had her mouth gaped open in disbelief.

However, again her face is out for everyone to see, particularly the jury. She is trying to show off her face to the jury, thinking that they might notice her grief above their statements. So as they talk about Travis, she is still seeking to transfer the attention to herself.

If she felt ashamed for what she did to Trabis family, she would have held her head in shame. Instead she sat with her mouth open as if to say "who me? I did that ? I can't believe it!". Bc in her mind I think she honestly denies what she did. She takes no real empathetic responsibility for her actions.

Oh and last thing...she asked to see the pictures of Travis's dead body during interrogation. When she explained why she wanted to, it was bc of a "morbid curiosity".

Wonder if she was admiring what she did (can't imagine... Wow...)

If so, that is very narcissistic/antisocial

Hmmmm idk. What are yoir thought on what she would be thinking after today?

finding the only person who will speak on her behalf in the end is herself, she speaks tomorrow. I'm sure she is in self pity " lonely" mode. Full on.

I'm assuming tonight she is trying to discover and memorize the "correct" words, literally, of what to say tomorrow in her testimony.

She is going to try to play the victim as she probably is in super self nurturing mode and "on her own". She's enough of a narcissist to still believe that she is a victim of her own self created damnation. She will probably sit up there and play off the fact that she knows she destroyed lives and is sorry and she will not speak negatively of Travis. If anything she will creepily speak highly of him which will further infuriate his family.

Essentially I see her trying to gear up for the role of her life: someone who cares and is accountable. She's training herself to get into this character as we all write about this. She will be confident and poised. She will try to seem like the martyr. But she will do something to still get one last dig in. Maybe say "when I get to heaven I'm going to tell Travis sorry like I told you sorry today"

It will be a backhanded apology, but very subliminal and not concrete enough to hold against her/judge her on later.

Honestly, I don't think she's taking the advice of her attorneys. i think she has a plan and its not about apologizing and displaying remorse.

I think she's such a narcissist she believes her "gallery opening" and sharing her art with the jury will move them. She really does fancy herself a legendary artist.
Maybe even sing something and talk of her ability to teach illiterates to read...

Oh and last thing...she asked to see the pictures of Travis's dead body during interrogation. When she explained why she wanted to, it was bc of a "morbid curiosity".

Wonder if she was admiring what she did (can't imagine... Wow...)

If so, that is very narcissistic/antisocial

I noticed she always snuck a peek when they were displayed in court too. I honestly believe she gets a thrill looking at them.

Shiver....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member