Poll - If you were on the Jury today

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

If you were on the jury today, how would you vote?

• Guilty of 1st Degree Murder - Death Penalty

Votes: 200 51.0%
  • Guilty of 1st Degree Murder - LWP

Votes: 165 42.1%
  • Guilty of a lesser charge - 10-25 years

Votes: 11 2.8%
  • Guilty of a lesser charge - Off with time served

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Not Guilty

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 10 2.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I voted LWOP, and I think that is what she will end up getting.

The reason I voted for that is because I think if she had been brought up differently, she would not have done this. I realize that may not sit well with some posters, if not most of them, but...(I also believe that she is capable of killing again).

I think her sociopathic personality festered over time and when she killed Caylee she actually hated her and Cindy.

I don't know if she could have been helped with this disorder, but certainly no one tried, so I would go for LWOP.

I voted DP - Lw/oP is also a good option but I don't want ICA socializing with her new friends. I don't want her to make a life for herself behind bars (and I think she will, if allowed to). I want her to know that HER FORMER PEERS find her to be reprehensible - I want her to feel the same terror that sweet little Caylee felt.

ICA has not shown one iota of remorse or loss over Caylee's death so I don't think a lifetime behind bars will make a dent in her conscious.

I wish DP convicts were handed a date of death, in court with sentencing - so they would know from that minute forward their days are numbered, their appeals should not go on, and on, and on - for years. Get it before the Court of Appeals and if denied TIMES UP! Just like their victims.

Until recently I was against the DP - but with the heinous crimes being committed today against the most defenseless among us, I have changed my way of thinking. Take a life, pay with your life. ICA does not deserve to spend the next 60+ years sponging of the citizens of the state of FL - the only worthwhile thing she ever did in her life (that I have seen) was giving life to Caylee then she cruelly and with forethought took that life away. (What's given can be taken away...)

Throw her in a solitary cell, pretend she's dead until her appeal is up, then make her so and forget about her. Let her go to eternity knowing she is not special, she is despicable.

I would just like to mention how much I luv WS and enjoy reading everyone's opinions. This site is the best!
LCoastMom (I'm also a LCoastmom!), I also used to feel the same way. I used to believe that I couldn't take another's life and that two wrongs don't make a right, but I too changed my way of thinking after more and more of these depraved murders for no good reason!!! For example: the founder of the Crips gang- there is no rehabilitating someone like that! They are just a waste of space and air and the cost of feeding and housing them. Calif. has gotten rid of some of them- Manson is Not the rule here, we have changed!!!
Ironic that Casey posted the anti-DP cartoon on her myspace page, she didn't do it as a political statement, she was against it because she knew she'd be facing it!!!:eek::eek::eek:

LCoastMom (I'm also a LCoastmom!), I also used to feel the same way. I used to believe that I couldn't take another's life and that two wrongs don't make a right, but I too changed my way of thinking after more and more of these depraved murders for no good reason!!! For example: the founder of the Crips gang- there is no rehabilitating someone like that! They are just a waste of space and air and the cost of feeding and housing them. Calif. has gotten rid of some of them- Manson is Not the rule here, we have changed!!!
Ironic that Casey posted the anti-DP cartoon on her myspace page, she didn't do it as a political statement, she was against it because she knew she'd be facing it!!!:eek::eek::eek:

The details on her post against the dp? Please and thanks.

I said life without parole, because it will be just that. When I think of the death penalty, I think of Charles Manson and California overturning the DP, giving Manson the opportunity to come up for parole time and again. So give her LWOP from the get-go, and she's not going anywhere.

Yeah, but I would rather have Manson babysit my kid than ICA.

The details on her post against the dp? Please and thanks.
This is the thread: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104419"]Glimpses into Casey's Frame of Mind During Solitude *REVISITED* - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

I do understand what you are saying... and the defense certainly will be showing plenty of pictures and video of ICA and Caylee together trying to give the impression she is a loving mother., I'll be sick when I have to see those pictures.

O/T: My daughter's name is actually Catherine, but nicknamed Katie.... so we started calling her Katydid when she was just a baby. I assume you know a katydid is a grasshopper?
grasshopper.gif

Funny and certainly OT, but I know a little girl named Katherine who is called "Kaylie," and another little girl named Kalthleen who is also "Kaylie."

i voted "other" because i'm not sure...
i know a lot about this case from following it from the beginning, have read thru every document release, listened to interviews, depositions, read the letters to robyn and all that.. and it's easy to sit here and say that i'd want the death penalty..
if it came down to sitting on the actual jury, i would want to hear what the prosecutors are presenting first.. that way it can refresh my memory and i would get to hear and see things that the public didn't get to see yet.

that being said.. i do believe casey and casey alone is responsible for her daughter's demise. whether it was an accident that "snow balled" or if it was premeditated.... i don't think we'll ever know or learn the truth.
even if it WAS an accident and she panicked or whatever,she should still get LWOP at the very least. she COULD have called 911 and maybe either saved caylee or at least reported it and given the child a proper burial... but no, she made up a ridiculous story and lied.. kept lying... and shows absolutely NO remorse. she's not sorry about what happened to caylee.. she's only sorry that she got caught. she needs to spend the rest of her life in prison.

if a jury convicts on a lesser charge or acquits, they are sending a message that it's ok to let harm come to your child, then lie about it, throw her in a swamp, cover up the truth..
i'm just torn between an accident w/ staging & cover up and premeditation. the computer searches show that she wanted to learn how to break necks, make chloroform and do something with shovels.. but it doesn't exactly prove that she did anything to caylee...
maybe if i heard JA and LDB i would vote for death.. so right now i'm between death and LWOP - can't decide. i would also want to know what my fellow jurors thought as well.

Based on the results so far, it looks like the Defense team is going to have to go through 238 people in order to find 1 that will vote "not guilty" and 1 that will let her out with time served. I like those odds so far.

I'm not a proponent of the death penalty except in the most rare of cases. Serial killers, terrorists and people who are a proven threat to society were anybody stupid enough to release them, included in this would be child rapists and the like.

I think she should be locked away for life or at least the rest of her child bearing years as she doesn't deserve to ever bear another child.
I have no doubt that Casey Anthony killed Caylee I don't believe it was an accident, she put her in harms way hoping she would die and free her from constraint.

Ditto.

I voted LWP, not that ICA does not deserve the DP but she will spend the next 15-20 years on Death Row anyway but will get all of the appeals and attempts to commute the sentence, etc. She will feel 'special' in her notoriety. She is not. ICA is just another child killer. There are too many of those so why give her added grounds for appeal?

I don't want the tax payer cost or risk. LWP is a done deal, a closed book. ICA can be forever forgotten, throw away the key with no reminders and ... Caylee can be forever remembered.

Ditto.

Also just wanted to add that chlorform is a sedative. It is not something that people die from typically. So in KC's eyes...she may have been trying to "knock her out" and not kill her. I was more concerned with the searches for missing kids and neck breaking.

To me it's clear (without hearing the defense arguments but I don't care cause' its a Sunshine Law state, so we know all the evidence against her and if the defense had anything to exonerate, they'd have been screaming it from the rooftops by now or trying to get a plea deal if it showed proof of a lesser crime. She is facing death, ya' know), that casey used chloroform not to kill Caylee, but to knock her out so casey would have to see those pleading, innocent eyes looking up at her as casey suffocated or strangled her or whatever. The evidence I have seen shows this was definitely premeditated, I believe months and months in advance.

that being said.. i do believe casey and casey alone is responsible for her daughter's demise. whether it was an accident that "snow balled" or if it was premeditated.... i don't think we'll ever know or learn the truth.
even if it WAS an accident and she panicked or whatever,she should still get LWOP at the very least. she COULD have called 911 and maybe either saved caylee or at least reported it and given the child a proper burial... but no, she made up a ridiculous story and lied.. kept lying... and shows absolutely NO remorse. she's not sorry about what happened to caylee.. she's only sorry that she got caught. she needs to spend the rest of her life in prison. If it was an accident, she would have called 911, or at least wanted to talk to them when Cindy called- she felt no need to, even then...

if a jury convicts on a lesser charge or acquits, they are sending a message that it's ok to let harm come to your child, then lie about it, throw her in a swamp, cover up the truth..
i'm just torn between an accident w/ staging & cover up and premeditation. the computer searches show that she wanted to learn how to break necks, make chloroform and do something with shovels.. but it doesn't exactly prove that she did anything to caylee...
maybe if i heard JA and LDB i would vote for death.. so right now i'm between death and LWOP - can't decide. i would also want to know what my fellow jurors thought as well.
This was not an accident with staging and cover-up the way JonBenet Ramsey's death was- they actually did call LE! Casey wanted her dead, Caylee was a baby she never wanted- look how she tried to hide her pregnancy for 7 months! Look at her journal entries about her newfound freedom and happiness, and every day is a new beginning, the end justifies the means, etc... The computer searches and the duct tape absolutely prove pre-meditation! The SA does not need to prove exactly how she killed her, and without a videotape of it or Casey's confession, we'll never know. It's not necessary for a 1st degree murder conviction. We still don't know exactly how Laci Peterson died, but Scott got a 1st degree murder conviction because we know for a fact he killed her, and he's on Death Row. Obviously the last person seen with her and who had access to her and means and motive (her mother Casey Anthony) killed Caylee. Caylee didn't die by natural means or suicide and bag herself and tape herself and throw herself into the woods- common sense!!!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

I also thought I was voting life without parole.Have no problem with the DP,but to me that is the easy way out.If I were KC I would be more terrified of spending the rest of my life without another taste of freedom.She could live for a long,long time.I'm sure she would love a do-over.Revenge can't really be that sweet.

Casey needs to serve way more than 25 years for this murder, otherwise she'll be in her 50's when she gets out, and god help society because she'll kill again!:behindbar:behindbar:behindbar

I doubt that she would be having any more children at that age, although 25 years into the future, at the rate medical advances are progressing, it certainly couldn't be ruled out. I'm well over 50 and 25 years still seems like a very long time to me.

I would vote to convict her of a lesser--aggravated manslaughter, which is what I would vote for as my knowledge of the case stands today, which is what the poll is canvassing. It is very possible that evidence at the trial could convince me otherwise.

I still believe that is it is possible she applied the duct tape after Caylee's death in an effort to prevent leakage. She certainly had a problem with fluids in the trunk!

It is still possible that Caylee died as the result of an accident whether an overdose of drugs, or being left in a hot trunk.

If testimony is introduced that Cindy throttled Casey the evening of the 15th as has been represented, though, I would consider that to be the catalyst for the tipping point in Casey's behavior and would vote for 1st degree and LWOP.

Um..I thought I was voting LWOP too, I don't want her out in 15 or something ridiculous like that. I can Imagine bleeding heart parole people who know nothing of the case letting her go in 15 years, her being a model prisoner and such....pfft

Jayla,

=-) Wasn't trying, which is why it didn't happen. I could never write poetry about this case. I didn't quote you as I'm not totally sure how to do this. I'm learning sloooowly. Thank you sorta. =-)

Teresa

I voted Guilty of First Degree Murder w/Death Penalty.

I see a lot of people are having a hard time giving Casey anything more than LWOP because they are unsure if it was premeditated. Premeditation is not the only aggravating circumstances the State went with putting the Death Penalty back on the table. Some of those circumstances include the fact that Caylee was under the age of 12, and that Casey Anthony was her mother, that the crime committed was especially heinous. Even if the crime was not premeditated (which I do believe it is) the jury will be instructed to look at all the aggravating circumstances when handing down their verdict. I know there were a few more, but I can not recall them at this moment. I think there were two more aggravating circumstances.

I am a firm believer in the Death Penalty for certain cases. Especially cases that involve the most vulnerable victims. Children are one of our most vulnerable victims. Caylee was still just a baby. She was not even three years old yet. She could not protect herself against Casey. Even if Caylee fought with every inch of her soul to stay alive on June 16th, 2008... she would not have won.

The premeditation is a very sticky situation. And you have to put the searches into context to really get a grasp of what was going on.

On March 17th - St. Patricks Day - Casey made the initial searches for chloroform, alcohol, acetone, peroxcide, and shovel.

On March 19th - Casey's Birthday - Casey searched the 100th episode of the television show "One Tree Hill." The episode was about a nanny kidnapping a child (which makes me wonder if this is not when the story of Zanny the Nanny surfaced... not at the beginning of the year like the Anthony's have stated!).

On March 21st - a random day? - Casey makes her final searches on "How to make chloroform", self defense, household weapons, neck breaking, shovel, and making weapons out of household products.

The interesting thing, imo, about these searches was that they were done on Casey's favorite holiday, her birthday and then again a few days after her birthday. What was going on that week? Were the Holidays and Casey's birthday becoming more about Caylee than herself? Which is a natural progression when children become a little bit older and they understand birthdays and holidays more. They want to be involved! They want to help blow out candles and want to help open presents!

I know that my sister and my bro-in-law's birthdays are just as much about their children than it is about themselves. Instead of romantic dinners and movies (they do still do these things too... just not on birthdays and holidays) they have a big party at a park and play soccer, kickball, etc... The children sit on their laps and help them blow out their candles. The children sit on their laps and help them open presents. The children are incooperated into everything they do during birthdays and holidays. That is what happens when you have children.

Something is telling me that Casey could not handle Caylee always being there. Caylee wanting attention on her birthday and her favorite holiday and that the snot head had the nerve to even try and blow HER candles out and open HER presents! Something made Casey mad enough to start her thought process into murdering Caylee in mid-March. Maybe Casey didn't even get a birthday cake? Yet, Caylee got one on her birthday! Maybe Casey didn't get presents to open? She was stealing enough money as it is. Yet, Caylee got presents on her birthday. There is something with these searches falling on these days that took Casey to this thought.

Casey, between January 2008 and her birthday on March 19th, 2008, stole $2,186.99. Another interesting point is that Cindy shut down her BOA account on March 14th, 2008 and the reason Casey went on to steal from her grandfathers account in order to pay for her phone bill.

I believe that when you add the searches for.... chloroform, alchohol, acetone, peroxcide, shovel, neck breaking, household weapons... to the searches of that One Tree Hill episode and the missing children seaches... and add that these searches were done when Casey was supposed to be celebrating life (fav. holiday and birthday) and instead was looking at ways to end one (Caylee's) it all clearly equals... premeditation. It also doesn't hurt or help that Casey was cut off financially from Cindy's account.

MOO

OK - Who voted NG? :waitasec:

I'm curious to hear why you would choose "Not Guilty".

One not guilty - one time served, more proof that CA & GA post here!

Um..I thought I was voting LWOP too, I don't want her out in 15 or something ridiculous like that. I can Imagine bleeding heart parole people who know nothing of the case letting her go in 15 years, her being a model prisoner and such....pfft

In most states this would be an issue, but it is my understanding in Florida it is different. Life with out Parole is Life WITHOUT parole. Its not an option. Gotta love the sunshine state.

If it was NOT CA, please post your comments. Perhaps you can share information that we have not seen or heard yet. Don't feel shy to express your side of the story. I know it can feel intimadating when the rest of the forum does not agree with you, but in the end we are all here to find the truth. Whatever it may be.

That being said, if we don't hear anything, we will just assume it was CA or someone related to the family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ANicholls16