Votes: 7 8.4%
  • Yes - someone will have a moment of conscience and confess all they know

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • No - 'the rice is cooked' and our grandchildren will be discussing the case

Votes: 47 56.6%
  • No because it's hard formally to pin a crime on a dead person

Votes: 20 24.1%

• Total voters
Just a little tidbit of info, Boulder County has one of the best cold case squads in Colorado now. Boulder County now has a DA who is not afraid of filing charges against people. The Susannah Chase case was solved by the Boulder County Cold Case Squad. Three other cases have been solved or trials are pending for murderers in Boulder County. Cases Lacy and Hunter did NOT bring charges on when there was evidence (The exception was the Chase murder).

I can pretty much guarantee you if Garnett would have been the DA in Boulder County in 1996, this mess would have been over. John and Patsy wouldn't have been able to lie and throw everyone and their goldfish under the bus, because they would have been sitting in jail. Sitting in jail, facing at the very least child abuse resulting in murder charges.

JMO, as a former member of Boulder County, Colorado.

Sometimes the best cold case squads come from other places.

IF there is so much evidence then there should be no reason to not pull another GJ together and see if they can bring new charges.

I don't think it works that way, but if someone knows more about it, I'm open to learning the process.

Doesn't jurisdiction dictate who investigates a case?

I don't think it works that way, but if someone knows more about it, I'm open to learning the process.

I think so, it is Boulder County's case. And Jack, that be a fact!

JMO

Since the DNA does not point to any of the R's. I doubt they would ever get an indictment.
And you bring up a good point. If the case is so good and sure against the R's and the New DA has more info why not bring a grand jury now? I think it is because he knows it is over. That DNA shows someone else was there, or at the very least casts doubt that it was a R involved.

You have to wonder if there is such a clear case, why hasn't the new DA brought charges??

BBM- Statue of limitations? All the defense would have to do is bring up all the evidence against PR to show reasonable doubt.

I hadn't even considered statute of limitations. Does anyone know what it is in a case like this? With the indictment charges we know about?

BBM- Statue of limitations? All the defense would have to do is bring up all the evidence against PR to show reasonable doubt.

There is no statute of limitations on murder. None. They could bring charges at any time.

I hadn't even considered statute of limitations. Does anyone know what it is in a case like this? With the indictment charges we know about?

There is a statute of limitations on the old indictment. That can not be used but they can bring new charges to a grand jury at any time seeking a new indictment.

Sure there is Any district can ask for help from another..

Just like that Cold Justice show. If I remember correctly Kelly Sigler is from Texas? yet she travels all over with Yolanda and helps police work cold cases from other states. At the LE request.

Three years on the charges in the indictment Tawny.

A undisputed fact.

I thought statute of limitations pertained to the date of the crime, not the date of indictments or whatever.

Three years on the charges in the indictment Tawny.

A undisputed fact.

Yep. But they can get a new indictment. At any time. He could convene a Grand jury with all this evidence that some seem to think is so damning and get new charges.

I thought statute of limitations pertained to the date of the crime, not the date of indictments or whatever.

Not for murder. There is no statute on murder. They can prosecute it 30 years from now.

There is no statute of limitations on murder. None. They could bring charges at any time.

I know that. I meant about the child abuse and other like charges. And the defense of a murder charge would be all the evidence against PR, hoping to raise reasonable doubt.

I know that. I meant about the child abuse and other like charges. And the defense of a murder charge would be all the evidence against PR, hoping to raise reasonable doubt.

But if the case is so strong that would not be a problem. I think that the DA has realized there is no evidence that would truly convict either one of them. DNA That matches someone else, And evidence that is missing, The rest of the tape and such that show it was someone other than the R's. Or the possibility at least of that.

It's not necessarily MURDER. You know that as well as anyone.

There ARE limitations for things like child abuse resulting in death and assisting in covering up a crime resulting in death.

It's not necessarily MURDER. You know that as well as anyone.

There ARE limitations for things like child abuse resulting in death and assisting in covering up a crime resulting in death.

What did the DA ask for the first time? 1st degree murder? The DA can ask again for the same thing. If the GJ finds different than that, then he would have to address the SOL on it. But at this point he is not doing anything.

Some cold cases are not solved for 20, 30, 50 years after the fact. Now that we have new DNA all the time anything can happen.
She was murdered. There is no 2 ways about it. Some one bashed her head in and that was no accidental strangling.

Yep. But they can get a new indictment. At any time. He could convene a Grand jury with all this evidence that some seem to think is so damning and get new charges.

No he can't. The statute of limitations on the charges is three years from the date they occurred.

Child abuse resulting in murder: Happened on or about 12/26/96, therefore they expired on 12/26/99.

The same applies to the second charge in the indictment.

JMO

What did the DA ask for the first time? 1st degree murder? The DA can ask again for the same thing. If the GJ finds different than that, then he would have to address the SOL on it. But at this point he is not doing anything.

Some cold cases are not solved for 20, 30, 50 years after the fact. Now that we have new DNA all the time anything can happen.
She was murdered. There is no 2 ways about it. Some one bashed her head in and that was no accidental strangling.

The GJ was supposed to be an investigative body, however indictments were issued. No one knows what AH was thinking. Well, he was thinking of covering his sorry behind, but I digress.

JMO

No he can't. The statute of limitations on the charges is three years from the date they occurred.

Child abuse resulting in murder: Happened on or about 12/26/96, therefore they expired on 12/26/99.

The same applies to the second charge in the indictment.

JMO

That has nothing to do with going to a grand jury for the murder of Jonebenet. HE can in fact do that at any time. Just because the GJ decided that the first time does not mean that is what the current GJ would find. That old indictment has no merit nothing to do with new charges.

"Garnett wrote that he had his staff look at the case after he took office four years ago. His appellate department told him the statute of limitations had run out on the charges in the indictment. As for any other charge, the DA's staff found nothing to pursue, he said.
Garnett wrote he will not comment on the case -- at this time.

"My, or my staff's view of what the evidence in the Ramsey case proves will only be stated in open court if a case is ever filed," he wrote, adding the Ramseys are entitled to the "full presumption of innocence.""

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/27/us/jonbenet-ramsey-district-attorney/

As You can see he still and will always have the option of filing charges of murder or bring forth another Grand Jury to investigate all the evidence from 1996 to now and indict if they see fit.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow
Back