Possible IT, Computer & Tech. Connection to the Long Island Case, Perp & Victims

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
PM
Pursuit MAGAZINE
Locating Mobile Phones through Pinging and
Triangulation
Jul 1, 2008
http://pursuitmag.com/locating-mobile-phones-through-pinging-and-triangulation/

“There are two ways a cellular network provider can locate a phone connected to their network, either through pinging or triangulation. Pinging is a digital process and triangulation is an analog process.”

“A cell phone “ping” is quite simply the process of determining the location, with reasonable accuracy, of a cell phone at any given point in time by utilizing the phone GPS location aware capabilities, it is very similar to GPS vehicle tracking systems. To “ping” in this context means to send a signal to a particular cell phone and have it respond with the requested data."
...... RSBM......
"When a new digital cell phone is pinged, it determines its latitude and longitude via GPS and sends these coordinates back via the SMS system (the same system used to send text messages).”

“With the older style analog cellular phones and digital mobile phones that are not GPS capable the cellular network provider can determine where the phone is to within a hundred feet or so using “triangulation” because at any one time, the phone is usually able to communicate with more than one of the aerial arrays provided by the phone network. The cell towers are typically 6 to 12 miles apart (less in cities) and a phone is usually within range of at least three of them. By comparing the signal strength and time lag for the phone’s carrier signal to reach at each tower, the network provider can triangulate the phone’s approximate position.”

The “Sybil Attack” can be employed on *Any* type of online forum. This technique utlizes “Sockpuppets” and sometimes, “persona generating software”.

The “Sybil Attack” is named after the book “Sybil” by Flora Rheta Schreiber about the treatment of Sybil Dorsett for Dissociative Identity Disorder.

Here are some definitions of “The Sybil Attack”:

Wikipedia
Sockpuppet (Internet)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sockpuppet_(Internet)

“Sockpuppets may be created during an online poll to submit multiple votes in favor of the puppeteer. A related usage is creating multiple identities, each supporting the puppeteer's views in an argument, attempting to position the puppeteer as representing majority opinion and sideline opposition voices. In the abstract theory of social networks and reputation systems, this is known as a sybil attack.”

Wikipedia
Sybil attack
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sybil_attack

“A Sybil attack is one in which an attacker subverts the reputation system of a peer-to-peer network by creating a large number of pseudonymous entities, using them to gain a disproportionately large influence.”

Social Media Darwinism
by Paul Dunay
Reputation Gaming with the Sybil Attack
http://pauldunay.com/reputation-gaming-with-sybil-attack/

“Here is an example of such activity”:

“Digg is a site where its members can submit articles, along with a short description and a link, in the Digg system. Other members look through these articles and choose either to “digg” or “bury” stories. Articles with the most “diggs” make it onto the site’s widely read front page.”

“One reputation gamer’s method of choice was the so-called Sybil attack. Named after the famous case of a woman with 16 personalities, a Sybil attack occurs when an individual opens multiple accounts and has them all recommend the same article. If it gets enough votes, the story could make it to the front page of Digg, with a huge payoff.”

Here is an example of what “persona generating software” is and what it can do. Although the following link talks about a governemnt example, similar software has been used by online gamers and astroturfers (online marketing shills) for years.

This type of software basically creates a sockpuppet army.

DAILY KOS
WED FEB 16, 2011 AT 07:56 PM PST
UPDATED: The HB Gary Email That
Should Concern Us All
by Happy Rockefeller
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/...-The-HB-Gary-Email-That-Should-Concern-Us-All

“Persona management entails not just the deconfliction of persona artifacts such as names, email addresses, landing pages, and associated content. It also requires providing the human actors technology that takes the decision process out of the loop when using a specific persona. For this purpose we custom developed either virtual machines or thumb drives for each persona. This allowed the human actor to open a virtual machine or thumb drive with an associated persona and have all the appropriate email accounts, associations, web pages, social media accounts, etc. pre-established and configured with visual cues to remind the actor which persona he/she is using so as not to accidentally cross-contaminate personas during use.”

“To build this capability we will create a set of personas on twitter,* ‬blogs,* ‬forums,* ‬buzz,* ‬and myspace under created names that fit the profile* (‬satellitejockey,* ‬hack3rman,* ‬etc*)‬.* These accounts are maintained and updated automatically through RSS feeds,* ‬retweets,* ‬and linking together social media commenting between platforms.* ‬With a pool of these accounts to choose from,* ‬once you have a real name persona you create a Facebook and LinkedIn account using the given name,* ‬lock those accounts down and link these accounts to a selected* ‬of previously created social media accounts,* ‬automatically pre-aging the real accounts.”

“To build this capability we will create a set of personas on twitter,* ‬blogs,* ‬forums,* ‬buzz,* ‬and myspace under created names that fit the profile* (‬satellitejockey,* ‬hack3rman,* ‬etc*)‬.* These accounts are maintained and updated automatically through RSS feeds,* ‬retweets,* ‬and linking together social media commenting between platforms.* ‬With a pool of these accounts to choose from,* ‬once you have a real name persona you create a Facebook and LinkedIn account using the given name,* ‬lock those accounts down and link these accounts to a selected* ‬of previously created social media accounts,* ‬automatically pre-aging the real accounts.”

I wonder if the Long Island killer has used or is using the The Sybil Attack with persona generating software to misdirect the LE investigation, websites, forum discussions etc.?

Could the killer also being using the Sybil Attack and persona generating software as a preemptive defense tactic in anticipation of his inevitable arrest and trial?

I wonder if the Long Island killer has used or is using the The Sybil Attack with persona generating software to misdirect the LE investigation, websites, forum discussions etc.?

Could the killer also being using the Sybil Attack and persona generating software as a preemptive defense tactic in anticipation of his inevitable arrest and trial?
IMHO I don't think our SK is smart enough to pull that off. I think he's surfing the internet and even participating in forums and he might be a little tech savvy with his phone and computer, but otherwise, that's about as much as his little pea brain can handle.

IMHO I don't think our SK is smart enough to pull that off. I think he's surfing the internet and even participating in forums and he might be a little tech savvy with his phone and computer, but otherwise, that's about as much as his little pea brain can handle.

You don't have to be smart to know about the technique and attempt it. If the killer has the persona generating software, that makes things even easier.

I never said the killer could "pulled off" (as in "get away with") such an attack either. I do think it's possible he has tried or is trying that type of attack.

I wouldn't be surprised if LE is very aware of the killer's possible internet activities.

You don't have to be smart to know about the technique and attempt it. If the killer has the persona generating software, that makes things even easier.

I never said the killer could "pulled off" (as in "get away with") such an attack either. I do think it's possible he has tried or is trying that type of attack.

I wouldn't be surprised if LE is very aware of the killer's possible internet activities.
Very true and it will probably be what does him.

the plump pink perp fled oak beach shortly after SG was found and is currently self medicating on Sanibel Island, Florida.

the plump pink perp fled oak beach shortly after SG was found and is currently self medicating on Sanibel Island, Florida.

If the doc "fled", then LE sure isn't interested in going to get him.

What are LE chasing him on? Big Wheels?

Btw, is that new avatar supposed to be you without SPF?

I see a response but it's blocked and I can't read it, I guess it will fall on def ears like hackett's funeral sermon.

Wait, let me tap into my telepathetic abilities to determine what it's saying.
....my aviators....no no... my atv..nooo...my AVATAR! got it.

My avatar is new today, I just made it by uploading a picture of that weeble wobble cph and a pic of Gollum, then clicking on merge. Don't try this at home I am a hacker and a professional.

Attachments

• weeble wobble.jpg
    weeble wobble.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 8
I was just thinking: *If* the killer did become a member here (or some other forum similar to WS w/ similar TOS) and was/is posting, we couldn't sleuth him because it's against the WS Terms of Service.

I wouldn't put it past the killer to exploit that type of system to his benefit.

MOO.

I have a question:

If somone had, or used, a specific IP address back in, say, 2006, is it , in any way, possible that a new, totaly unrelated/different person, are using that EXACT same IP in 2011 /2012?

Meaning; if a person, at some point, stop using his/her IP address, is it possible that somone else, are given/ can "take over" that IP address?
OR is an IP address, for ever connected to the one person who got the IP address in the first place?

I really hope someone can help me out here, it is VERY important!

I have a question:

If somone had, or used, a specific IP address back in, say, 2006, is it , in any way, possible that a new, totaly unrelated/different person, are using that EXACT same IP in 2011 /2012?

Meaning; if a person, at some point, stop using his/her IP address, is it possible that somone else, are given/ can "take over" that IP address?
OR is an IP address, for ever connected to the one person who got the IP address in the first place?

It depends on where you got the IP address, i.e. what type of application, server, email, etc. Generally speaking, it is most likely an IP address used in 2006 would be assigned to a different person today. However, it could be a static IP, meaning a non-changing IP, just depends. Would need more info to say.

When did your POI head to Florid?that does make himm look guilty.

I have a question:

Most people don't even have all the time the same IP address. You log on at your provider and get a temporary IP address, called a lease, from a server. Next time you get online, you have maybe another address while someone on the other end of the city has the one you used yesterday.

Peter

When did your POI head to Florid?that does make himm look guilty.

Shortly after SG was found.

The 6 month "vacation" is now over, Chucky is back, but for how long?

It's smelling like a dead romance, time to pack the memorabilia into boxes and move on, police radio, women's shoes, newspaper clippings... meanwhile she's playing her old Air Supply cassettes again "I'm All Out of Love...Thinking of you till it hurts, I know you hurt too but what else can we do, Tormented and torn apart, I wish I could carry your smile and my heart, For times when my life feels so low. It would make me believe what tomorrow could bring. When today doesn't really know, doesn't really know..I'm all out of love, I'm so lost without you..." :floorlaugh:

Summer school is now in session lady, fill out the form and hand the assignment in promptly, it's time to legally separate yourself from all of that liability...

Attachments

• summer of love.jpg
    summer of love.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 26
  • jerk.jpg
    jerk.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 25
  • adidja palmer tattoo.jpg
    adidja palmer tattoo.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 29

Members online

Online statistics