Press conference regarding previously undisclosed evidence scheduled for a January 16th at 1 p.m.

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So, there’s 4 unidentified victims (if my research was correct). Time to be searching all the missing persons databases for names that match the initials.

To me it looks more like HM.

I think the belt belonged to the victim because if it belonged to the killer there would probably be a lot of DNA on it vs only a small amount if it was used to strangle the person to whom it belonged.

What makes me wonder is why that piece was left. This killer is pretty smart and has done an excellent job of not leaving evidence. So how did he screw up and leave this behind? To me it seems as though he was interrupted.

Which victim was found with the item on their neck? And where were they found?

From Police in Long Island serial killer case reveal new evidence - amNewYork article:

Investigators stymied by a nine-year mystery following the discovery of 11 sets of human remains strewn along a suburban New York beach highway revealed a previously unreleased photograph Thursday of evidence found at one of the crime scenes that they say was handled by an unknown suspect.

This says to me that they DO have DNA from the belt; otherwise they wouldn't know it was handled.

From Police in Long Island serial killer case reveal new evidence - amNewYork article:

Investigators stymied by a nine-year mystery following the discovery of 11 sets of human remains strewn along a suburban New York beach highway revealed a previously unreleased photograph Thursday of evidence found at one of the crime scenes that they say was handled by an unknown suspect.

This says to me that they DO have DNA from the belt; otherwise they wouldn't know it was handled.

Yes, agreed...I got the impression there was only a small amount of DNA for some reason. At this moment I can’t recall what gave me that idea lol!! So I was thinking that if the belt was owned/worn by the perpetrator, there would be substantially more of their DNA on the belt.

I guess my line of thinking is that maybe the police are thinking this could provide leads either way - directly to the killer, or indirectly by possibly identifying one of the unidentified victims and perhaps that victim could lead to the perpetrator. (Sorry, that sentence seems awkward but hopefully it makes sense.)

The podcast Unresolved has done some episodes about this case and did a good job summarizing the info. He released an update episode after this PC and did another summary and then included the PC in its entirety.

Yes, agreed...I got the impression there was only a small amount of DNA for some reason. At this moment I can’t recall what gave me that idea lol!! So I was thinking that if the belt was owned/worn by the perpetrator, there would be substantially more of their DNA on the belt.

I guess my line of thinking is that maybe the police are thinking this could provide leads either way - directly to the killer, or indirectly by possibly identifying one of the unidentified victims and perhaps that victim could lead to the perpetrator. (Sorry, that sentence seems awkward but hopefully it makes sense.)

The podcast Unresolved has done some episodes about this case and did a good job summarizing the info. He released an update episode after this PC and did another summary and then included the PC in its entirety.

Thanks, I'll check that out.

I don't think the amount really matters, does it? If there's enough to replicate, they can generate a profile and tell it doesn't match the victim, or compare it to a suspect. It might be easier to get the profile if there's more DNA present, but once they've got it, they're set.

Thanks, I'll check that out.

I don't think the amount really matters, does it? If there's enough to replicate, they can generate a profile and tell it doesn't match the victim, or compare it to a suspect. It might be easier to get the profile if there's more DNA present, but once they've got it, they're set.

This item has been in LE's hands since the 4 gilgo victims were discovered. If they were able to obtain DNA from it, they would have had a profile for a very long time now. Some of you may recall a news article early on that made mention of a ligature found on one of the victims. That info was quickly retracted (I assume by request of LE ). Assuming that this belt is that ligature, any DNA obtained from it couldn't have been more than a few years old . But having said that, just because there can be DNA on something doesn't mean there IS DNA on something. In this case, the 1-3 years of exposure to wind, rain, snow, cold, and heat could have wrecked havoc on DNA, especially if it's touch DNA.

My guess is that if LE had a viable source of DNA from this belt, they wouldn't feel the need to publicly post pictures of the belt in hopes that someone might be able to identify it.

JMO

rbbm
https://www.researchgate.net/public...urvival_of_PCR-amplifiable_DNA_in_cow_leather
''We have investigated the survival of PCR-amplifiable mitochondrial and nuclear DNA in a small number of modern and medieval bovine leather samples. The results of this preliminary investigation demonstrate that, while no nuclear DNA can be PCR-amplified from any of the specimens, mitochondrial DNA can be amplified from all samples. To investigate this contrasting pattern of DNA survival further, we have vegetable-tanned cow skin in our own laboratory, and directly assayed the survival of PCR-amplifiable mitochondrial and nuclear DNA at each step of the process. The results indicate that nuclear DNA is reduced to sub-amplifiable levels as a result of the tanning baths, whereas amplifiable mitochondrial DNA survives the complete process. Our results suggest that old and archaeological bovine leather may represent a useful source of genetic information, although this information will most likely be limited to that which can be gained from mitochondrial DNA.''

This item has been in LE's hands since the 4 gilgo victims were discovered. If they were able to obtain DNA from it, they would have had a profile for a very long time now. Some of you may recall a news article early on that made mention of a ligature found on one of the victims. That info was quickly retracted (I assume by request of LE ). Assuming that this belt is that ligature, any DNA obtained from it couldn't have been more than a few years old . But having said that, just because there can be DNA on something doesn't mean there IS DNA on something. In this case, the 1-3 years of exposure to wind, rain, snow, cold, and heat could have wrecked havoc on DNA, especially if it's touch DNA.

My guess is that if LE had a viable source of DNA from this belt, they wouldn't feel the need to publicly post pictures of the belt in hopes that someone might be able to identify it.

JMO

Well, yeah, but DNA alone doesn't tell you anything. You have to have something to compare it to. If they think the belt was handled by the killer, but they didn't get a match, then the logical conclusion is that the killer of this particular woman is somebody not in any of the LE databases and not on their radar.

Which probably doesn't say anything about the other cases. They've said they don't think all these bodies were victims of the same person, and that seems to fit the information that's been released.

Also, we could be wrong about the ligature. The information might have been removed because it was mistaken. I don't think that was the case, but it's worth keeping the possibility in mind. If it's not, this belt could be something else entirely.

So why are we seeing browny-red colour of belt when it is clearly described by police as black? Deteriation over the years due to elements or something else?
Is it possible that the letters are on the rough red-brown leather on the inside of the belt, and the outside visible part of the belt is black?

I'd also like to know if it looks hand-tooled or embossed by a machine. If machine-embossed, I picture that for most belts, since most people are right-handed, the lettering would probably fit a company standard: buckle on the wearer's left, tapered hole side on the right. That would tell you whether the letters were meant to read MH or HM. If it's hand-tooled, it's not as clear--the person putting the letters on could just have put them on either way ("Oops, too late--this is upside-down.")

Wish we knew whether the quality of the letters indicates personalization of initials or company logo.

Last edited:
Hopefully they have DNA from that belt and already did this new testing. It would also be nice to know if those letters were upside down or rightside up on the belt. HM/WH

HM could be Halsey Manor, which is where jessicas torso was located in manorville. I think bittrolf also lived off

Any ideas if there is any meaning behind the font of the letters?

To my eye it looks like an amateurish attempt to mimic the New York Yankees' font: Logos and uniforms of the New York Yankees - Wikipedia

The case is scheduled to be heard before the 2nd Department of the Appellate Division here in NY on 1/20/2020. It is #15 on the court's calendar.

ETA link to calendar to be heard that day:
https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/se...er-pnlResultContainer-pnlResult-1-lnkDocument

We won't know until that day whether actual oral arguments will be taking place before the Court or whether the appeal will be heard on submission of the papers only. Either way, anyone can watch that morning on the website:

Appellate Division - Second Judicial Department

Scroll down - on the left you'll see "Oral Argument Live" - and can click to open.

Typically, a decision comes down anywhere from months to a year after the motion is submitted, depending on the complexity of the case.

Is this actually scheduled for tomorrow 1/21/19 @ 11a??

1/21/2020, but it seems so--first link is dead, but I see it on the court calendar as case #15:
15. COURT: Supreme COUNTY: Suffolk J/O: Order DATED: 10/29/2018 2018-14452 Estate of Gilbert v Hacket

Im still trying to find the exact date and time. The original post had it scheduled for 1/20/20.

Im still trying to find the exact date and time. The original post had it scheduled for 1/20/20.

Replying to myself lol

I haven't been able to watch oral argument "live" no matter how many times I keep clicking... Grrr. I don't know if my connection is faulty or ??
But, maybe it will be available via archive??

sorry for the mixup... yes, court's were closed yesterday - it's scheduled for today. The link isn't working though.. i've tried several browsers and not having any luck.

Thank you! We were posting at same time... Lol. At least we know the problem with viewing isn't on our end!

It's today... but for some reason the link isn't accessible today (?!?!?!). I watch the arguments every single day and have never had this happen before :-(

Mighty strange today the live doesn't work! Well... In a way this doesn't surprise me... Just additional frustration.

Suffolk County Police press conference 01/16/2020 regarding new evidence believed to be tied to the Long Island Serial Killer (LISK)/ Gilgo Beach Murders.
Part 1
Part 2

Wait! I just got it to work. Hmmmm

I'm seeing people vs S Verneus.

Did we miss Gilbert Estate live or is it upcoming and if so... What time??

Last edited:
I emailed the email address, and the person said that the feed is not working today.

someone named
Aprilanne Agostino
Clerk of the Court

told me that "there should be a video/audio recording
which should be available at some point
in the future"

She told me that the link "is not working today."

Let me tell you folks,

for the record, John Ray is in Spota's pocket.
If you had gone to the Spota trial, you would have understood that

when Burke noticed his party bag missing in his SUV
his FIRST call was to McPartland
his SECOND call was to Hickey

if you went to the Spota trial you would have understood that:

1)Spota had McPartland (anti corruption chief) handle the Burke beat down case;

2) Spota allegedly told Emily Constant to send the case to Major Crimes (as Loeb stole and that is larceny NOT anti corruption);

3) that Burke took Hickey OUT of the police schedule and told Hickety that HIS JOB was to make sure NONE of the 22 cops that knew the truth behind the case "left the reservation";

4) that Spota put Peter Cruscoe in the case as Special Prosecutor - but that was only pretend - the REAL reason Cruscoe was on the case was to spy on the cops and tell Burke or Spota if any of the cops tipped and told the truth;

5) that Taryn Merkyl (AUSA) gave the 302's (investigative reports on Burke beat down of Chris) to Russ McCormack (police union official)

6) that McCormack GAVE the UNREDACTED 302's to Burke - UNREDATED I say;

that means that each NAME of each COP was in the report - for all to see

7) and that Burke Xeroxed the 302's and distributed to EVERY POLICE precinct for EVERY SCPD cop to read and KNOW that if you TIP on Burke -

that BURKE SPOTA and McPartland will know.

Do you REALLY think that today's hearing is legit?

Spota had lawyers, prosecutors and cops
planted to do everything to protect Burke
and pretend to the public that the law was
being upheld.

The beat down was because Loeb watched the
DVD's and saw the horrible content of the
DVD's

Burke is not fit to be in society based on the
content of those DVD's. He's a deplorable
sick sadomasochist. As is his sugar daddy Spota.

John Ray is in Spota's pocket. GET THAT THRU YOUR HEADS, please.

Yes! Me too..

Since we missed the beginning, we won't know until they get up to #15 if they are actually arguing or if its being "submitted on the papers" which means that the Judges will issue a ruling without argument. Eagerly awaiting!

ETA: again, the decision won't be issued either way until months from now...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CatD
Back