Prosecutor Juan Martinez releases new book, February 2016 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I found the spreecast very interesting. My biggest take-away was how cerebral JM is. I mean, NO NOTES whatsoever??!! And no computer? Yet, to this day, he has almost perfect recall of things that happened several years ago!!

That just blows my mind. Even with the help of notes and a computer, my memory is less than reliable. :/

I also found it charming how quiet and humble he is. Getting a taste of his gentle sense of humor was also quite refreshing...
Charmingly sarcastic and gently humorous, yes he is. Instead of saying JA's tears were fake, he said she was not consistent with her use of tears. LOL.

Trial Diary Jen asked JM if he could speak to Travis, what would he say ...He replied I want him to know I did my best.
These simple words touched my heart. What a delightful and an honorable man Juan Martinez is.

Charmingly sarcastic and gently humorous, yes he is. Instead of saying JA's tears were fake, he said she was not consistent with her use of tears. LOL.

Trial Diary Jen asked JM if he could speak to Travis, what would he say ...He replied I want him to know I did my best.
These simple words touched my heart. What a delightful and an honorable man Juan Martinez is.

* One thing I noticed about #28whatever's fake waterworks factory charade is there were many times where she would brush the back of her hand across the under side of her chin as if to catch all these tears that were streaming down her face -- all for the benefit of the jury across the room -- in an attempt to demonstrate for them that she was actually capable of having genuine emotions. But don't dab any tears that may be welling-up in the corner of your eye or even on your cheek. Put on a real show for the jury and let them think the tears are making their way all the way down your face, uncontrollably, before you're able to stop them with the back of your hand. I'm surprised Maria wasn't right beside her at the defense table acting like a "corner man" with a towel and a bucket in between rounds. And maybe also to rub Jodi's shoulders to loosen her up when things got too tough for her.

I think having your cell searched without warning is not considered a punishment. It's the prisons right to do so at anytime. So a cell search is an occupational hazard when Jodi became a professional inmate for life

I have no doubt they do this from time to time, as they should. However, SF made it sound as if it was occurring all the time since the infraction we all heard about.

Loss of contact visits isn't much, IMO. I mean, she didn't lose visits altogether and maybe for her it was a small price to pay for the publicity/getting her word out. I think we could see more of the killer's carp if the penalty is such a small slap on the wrist.

I don't believe that Arias cared for her reputation. She pretended to as it was part of her play Mormon act. What Arias cared about was getting what she wanted - Travis. Psychopaths are goal orientated and you hear her describing goals in court and interviews.

The evidence that she didn't care about what others thought of her relentless pursuit of Travis is plentiful. She slept under his Christmas tree when not wanted. She crept in through his doggy door. She endured the showdown with the Hughes' and rejection. She spied on him and he and others knew it. Brazenly, she powered through where normal women would be embarrassed and retreat. His friends knew that he didn't seriously want her from very early on. That's why she tried to manipulate the Hughes and succeeded, for a very short time.

Arias read his journals, knew she was mocked by his friends from quite early on but none of that mattered. Her eyes remained on the prize. When she lost that - she lost it and wanted Travis to pay. Any allusion to her reputation was merely to cover for her actions or create a Mormon smokescreen. I doubt she had any interest in Ryan Burns beyond an alibi. Offering Travis a last, apologetic, no strings sex session sounds exactly what she would do. With the bonus that Travis got an insurance policy of naked pictures of her should she try to blackmail him.

You only have to watch her in court to see how little she cares about how people perceive her. Despite tutoring form Nurmi, she couldn't play the victim with a reputation to maintain. What the lying psychopath cares about is winning, at all costs. Thanks to Juan Martinez and Detective Flores, she lost.
I would agree with most of that except for a few exceptions - as always, JMO

She certainly seemed concerned that people knew she was arrested, including Travis' family.

She was concerned enough to send an 18 page letter to his grandmother and sent flowers.

She tried (and eventually failed) to have her testimony omitted from public scrutiny.

She had people tweeting for her during trial.

I tend to believe that she was insane enough to be clueless about what most people thought about her, and when she directly found out it was negative, she would negate their importance (oh well, I don't care and bout those people anyway).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

She definately wanted the last word. Like with the cut on her finger. She argued for days about which finger, which hand, glass cut, metal cut, employee accident reports, cats, margarita glasses etc

She already admitted she killed him. With a knife. Why not just admit "while I was defending myself from Travis, the knife I just happened to find in the bathroom slipped in my hand and I was injured!" ? Or "I was defending myself! Travis tried to get the knife I luckily found in the bathroom and it cut me".
If I remember correctly, she kept with the "it's not from the knife" finger lie because she already testified that her finger was all dorked up from Travis kicking it (trying to prove DV).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Hello everyone!!! My book came a couple of days ago, which of course sent me running here to my old stomping grounds! I started it last night and I got to Chapter 13. Juan is such a good story teller. Huge difference between him and a certain Defense Attorney. Just wondering....how can a defense attorney have gone through years of college and have ninth grade grammar?

Good to be back and see all the old faces....

Something that made me giggle: page 180, Juan says that even though JA brags about being ambidextrous, he had come to understand she could only give left-handed compliments, such as her pointing out that although McCartney could sing, it was her performance that carried the day.

Something that made me giggle: page 180, Juan says that even though JA brags about being ambidextrous, he had come to understand she could only give left-handed compliments, such as her pointing out that although McCartney could sing, it was her performance that carried the day.

I LOL'd at that too, while reading it in bed.....Woke my husband up-oops!

Sent from my fingertips using what remains of my brain.

Oh, I loved that statement from Juan as well. Made me giggle too!!! :laughing:

I have no doubt they do this from time to time, as they should. However, SF made it sound as if it was occurring all the time since the infraction we all heard about.

Loss of contact visits isn't much, IMO. I mean, she didn't lose visits altogether and maybe for her it was a small price to pay for the publicity/getting her word out. I think we could see more of the killer's carp if the penalty is such a small slap on the wrist.

The visits meant a lot to her, which is why IMO her keepers chose to take them away. Targeted selective punishment.

Nothing is ever going to make her stop trying to find an outside audience, I imagine. The good news is the only folks willing to help her do that are the very people who consistently go about it in ways that land her in more trouble with her keepers..

Has anyone else thought about what JM said in a recent interview, that he agreed she made the sex tape to blackmail Travis, but more specifically, " to make him do something."

Do what?

PS. about the photos taken on June 4th thing, had to be that day because she was always blonde in Mesa.

Nope. She dyed her hair on March 20. In her text to Travis telling him she'd already dyed it, she describes the color as "brunette."

He wanted to see it, she went over to his house early in the evening and there were no more outgoing texts by him that night. Hmm.

PS. about the photos taken on June 4th thing, had to be that day because she was always blonde in Mesa.

Nope. She dyed her hair on March 20. In her text to Travis telling him she'd already dyed it, she describes the color as "brunette."

He wanted to see it, she went over to his house early in the evening and there were no more outgoing texts by him that night. Hmm.

Yep, he asked her when he could see it, and she replied 15 minutes. I remember you posting that text.

In the offending tape, she bragged about how she was going to get contact visits. Makes total sense that they'd choose not to let that happen in Feb as planned. It also means they'll be able to monitor her interactions more closely, since everything can be taped.

Yep, he asked her when he could see it, and she replied 15 minutes. I remember you posting that text.

LOL...That makes one of us. I didn't remember reading it before, much less posting about it.

Anyway......JM's book is the NYTimes best seller list! 8th for hardback nonfiction, 4th for hardback & esales nonfiction.

Way to go JM!

(Last I looked Nurmi's ranked 11,000 or so on Amazon).

Hoping they have JM's book at my Costco! I've been ravenously consuming all the posts here with quotes and excerpts.

IMO Juan Martinez gives the legal profession a good name. Nurms and Wilmer, not so much.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimmyann4141
Back