Quarantine Vegetable Gardens

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
*waves* hi @dixiegirl1035
The first of this year’s tomatoes and my first ever homegrown beans. It’s a rubbish photo, but I am happy anyway :D
View attachment 260252

When I had green beans years ago, the first harvest of beans I would put in a skillet with italian dressing and do a quick stir fry (not the right word, it escapes me... what do you call wok like cooking) on perhaps just 4-5 beans from the harvest as a side dish. Your photo reminds me of such times from yonder years. So what did you do with your first beans?

When I had green beans years ago, the first harvest of beans I would put in a skillet with italian dressing and do a quick stir fry (not the right word, it escapes me... what do you call wok like cooking) on perhaps just 4-5 beans from the harvest as a side dish. Your photo reminds me of such times from yonder years. So what did you do with your first beans?
Oh what a great idea!
My first beans harvest, they were steamed alongside some broccoli and served with marinated tofu. NOM!

I am constantly amazed at how veggies can seemingly pop up overnight. Today, for example, I ‘found’ a full grown courgette that I’m pretty sure wasn’t there yesterday, and also discovered a huuuuge cucumber tucked away behind the main plant.
On another note, it’s raining. And raining. And raining. You get the idea :D After the heat and unbearable humidity of last week, it’s bliss. I sat out in the garden at lunchtime, with a coffee and a homemade cookie, listening to the rain beating down on the parasol - and keeping a watchful eye on the cats, who were hopefully truffling around looking for frogs.

For anyone interested I made my zucchini sauce today. It came out great and hubby loves it. I peeled a large zucchini and removed the seeds. Then I cut it in half inch slices, added them to 1/4 cup water in saucepan and simmered on lowest temp for 15 minutes. After that I drained them and returned to the pan. Sprinkled with cinnamon and splenda, then mashed with potato masher. It made 2 - 1 cup servings. I'm chilling them in the fridge in individual containers.

When I made applesauce from our orchard I used these one cup containers with lids and froze them to use throughout the year. I'm planning to do the same with the rest of our zucchini. It doesn't taste quite as good as applesauce but it's close and practically free!

For anyone interested I made my zucchini sauce today. It came out great and hubby loves it. I peeled a large zucchini and removed the seeds. Then I cut it in half inch slices, added them to 1/4 cup water in saucepan and simmered on lowest temp for 15 minutes. After that I drained them and returned to the pan. Sprinkled with cinnamon and splenda, then mashed with potato masher. It made 2 - 1 cup servings. I'm chilling them in the fridge in individual containers.

When I made applesauce from our orchard I used these one cup containers with lids and froze them to use throughout the year. I'm planning to do the same with the rest of our zucchini. It doesn't taste quite as good as applesauce but it's close and practically free!

Thank you, Tillicum - I’ll be trying this out at the weekend.

This sounds really good!

Today I picked about a gallon of green beans and my first full sized green bell pepper. I'm busy waterbath canning a lot of my garden produce these days. So far I've made dill pickles, dill pickle relish, salsa, and pickled jalapenos. Next I'm going to make some blueberry syrup with blueberries I put in the freezer earlier this year. Eventually I will have to do something with the tomatoes filling up my freezer... but the tomatoes are still rolling in from the garden and I want to do a big batch of sauce all at once. I also can't decide which tomato products to make first. I want to do a batch of spaghetti sauce, some pizza sauce, and maybe ketchup, if I have enough tomatoes. I might have to make more salsa too, since my jalapeno plants are still producing. We can never have too much salsa around here. :D

Today I picked about a gallon of green beans and my first full sized green bell pepper. I'm busy waterbath canning a lot of my garden produce these days. So far I've made dill pickles, dill pickle relish, salsa, and pickled jalapenos. Next I'm going to make some blueberry syrup with blueberries I put in the freezer earlier this year. Eventually I will have to do something with the tomatoes filling up my freezer... but the tomatoes are still rolling in from the garden and I want to do a big batch of sauce all at once. I also can't decide which tomato products to make first. I want to do a batch of spaghetti sauce, some pizza sauce, and maybe ketchup, if I have enough tomatoes. I might have to make more salsa too, since my jalapeno plants are still producing. We can never have too much salsa around here. :D
You are extremely ambitious. Giant kudos to you. My garden has been producing tomatoes and peppers, which I pretty much use up as I pick them. Ironically, pumpkin plants are sprouting all over the yard due to seeds from last fall's decorations. And DH threw out some potatoes a few months ago and they are sprouting above ground plants as well.

We are lucky enough to live near several road stands and also to live in the garden part of the Garden State (NJ), so there are plentiful fruits and veggies for us to buy, eat and freeze.

A large tree in our yard fell 2 weeks ago during the tropical storm that passed and just missed hitting my chicken coup full of tomato plants. :)
It did take out a back building though. :(

Is anyone making gazpacho?
I wish my garden were plentiful...that's what I would try making.
The secret ingredient to a really good gazpacho is to throw in a hard boiled egg when mixing all the ingredients. A good friend in Spain taught me that. Much better than adding day old bread which some recipes call for. I usually use 4 parts tomatoes to 1 part cucumber and green pepper each. Then I add garlic, extra virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar plus salt to taste. Simple but oh so good :)

I used to make Gazpacho quite a bit when I lived in Las Vegas. Nothing like ice cold soup on a hot day. Excellent with a splash of aged, cooked down, balsamic vinegar.

I had my first "Early Girl" tomato from my garden. It was not anything like the flavor of the Beefsteak tomatoes I grew in Salt Lake. The growing season just isn't long enough here. We have frost in early June. I don't know, maybe next year I will do my own starts in the house.

Months ago, I planted out potatoes in three pots. They grew, then flowered, and I thought yesterday how I really must harvest them soon. So today, I did just that. Care to guess how many potatoes grew? Zero. Zip. Zilch. De nada. A big, fat diddly-squat. I was so disappointed. Talking to my Dad this afternoon, he said sometimes that can happen with the supermarket ‘taters I had planted. He suggested I try with seed potatoes. I am tempted to just throw in the towel, and instead focus on the things I am good at, like tomatoes. Grr. :mad:

Months ago, I planted out potatoes in three pots. They grew, then flowered, and I thought yesterday how I really must harvest them soon. So today, I did just that. Care to guess how many potatoes grew? Zero. Zip. Zilch. De nada. A big, fat diddly-squat. I was so disappointed. Talking to my Dad this afternoon, he said sometimes that can happen with the supermarket ‘taters I had planted. He suggested I try with seed potatoes. I am tempted to just throw in the towel, and instead focus on the things I am good at, like tomatoes. Grr. :mad:
It is my understanding that non-organic grocery store potatoes are treated with something that makes them less likely to sprout.

Not always, as I've had store spuds sprout, but maybe some suppliers do this.

Buying seed potatoes should avoid this, as should buying organic potatoes. Again IMO

The best potato we ever planted is Red La Soda. After the first time planting them we never planted any other kind. Large producers and excellent flavor and texture.

That's more than likely what I'll find if I go searching for a potato among the green leaves. Not really sure I want to eat whatever is growing there anyway. The squirrels frequent this part of the yard just below a fence and lord knows what they leave behind.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow
Back