Questions Welcome Here!

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I know this is the wrong place to ask, but I'm going away for a short time and need to deregister so that my inbox isn't flooded....could you tell me how to do this please
If you are on a smart phone, find your name at top right. Click. On the menu choose alert preferences and get rid of email alerts there.

I understand that we cannot start a new thread if one on the topic has been permanently closed.
But what if it seems it was closed due to inactivity?
I searched to see if there was a thread here about a child who went missing years ago, and there was one, but it had only one post in 2008 and then was closed.
How do I find out if I can start a new thread for this child? I don't know if I'm allowed to link the closed thread....

Depends on the reason for the thread closure.

We need to know the name of the missing child so we can locate the thread and review the specific reasons for closure.

Tanisha's profile is in the forum "Missing Children in America - A Profile." It is a locked *NO DISCUSSION* thread where only a case profile is posted and no discussion is allowed.

Sadly it appears no dedicated discussion thread was ever opened for Tanisha's case. You are more than welcome to start one.

ETA: Remember that you need MSM or an LE report to start a thread.

I am writing an article about clusters of missing and murdered sex workers in the United States. So far my research pulled up New York, Ohio, Kentucky, Louisiana. However, I thought it might help me pinpoint more areas if I asked my fellow Websleuthers for some help. If you know of any unsolved crimes against sex workers, please let me know. My inbox is open to anyone who has information to share. All sources will be cited in any work I publish for as many pieces I write.

Check the Highway of Tears, some of those poor ladies were said to have been sex workers. You could also check out Project Cold Case and have a look through some of the unsolved cold cases on there.

Have a question about a case or loved one you have missing? Leave your questions here!
I just learned about a relative who was murdered in 1978. From my initial web search it is listed as a cold case with very minimal information and have not seen mention on the forums with the exception of an anecdotal mention . I’d love to look more into this and see if there’s anything I can do to move this investigation along but I’m very new to sleuthing. Any tips on where to start? William J. Leone, murdered 10/31/1978 in Reno, NV.
Photo of William Leone contributed by Kayleigh Smith

Hello, all. I’m new here and not sure if this is the appropriate place to post, but I’m curious if there is a thread or section for identifying cases when you can’t remember the names or locations -only some general details of the crime? I’m trying to find any updates to a case I saw probably a decade ago on Dateline Mystery. The details I recall: the story was set in a small town in (I think) the Midwest. A father took his adolescent son to a birthday party. His wife was supposed to join them later at the party, but she was murdered in their home. The husband was later arrested for the crime but claimed innocence. Witnesses testified to seeing a strange car speeding away from the house at the time of the murder, and the husband was acquitted. After the murder the husband quickly remarried. His son began to doubt his father’s innocence. There was also something to do with the husband having an injury to his hand that he claimed was the result of repairing a broken window days earlier, but the son and friend remembering hearing glass shattering shortly before the murder. Can anyone please tell me the names of the murder victim and her husband?

Yes, @Oddbins , there is such a thread -- now for someone to remember the title and link it....

Hello everyone, I’m hoping this is the right place to ask this. I’ve looked all over the site for this type of info and can’t seem to find what I need. I’m looking for help in how to research old businesses. To be more specific I’m looking to find more specific information on a restaurant/bar that was open in FL in the mid 80s. I’m trying to find what the address was, if it changed names, etc.
TIA

Hello everyone, I’m hoping this is the right place to ask this. I’ve looked all over the site for this type of info and can’t seem to find what I need. I’m looking for help in how to research old businesses. To be more specific I’m looking to find more specific information on a restaurant/bar that was open in FL in the mid 80s. I’m trying to find what the address was, if it changed names, etc.
TIA
I don't know for sure, but you might want to check the secretary of state website for articles of incorporation and see if they still list old, defunct businesses.

If you know the town in FL where this business was located, then I would head to Facebook. Most areas have a group open to the public where they discuss new goings on in town. Some old time locals will probably have that information and more.
Also, you can use this website, but I don't know if you will be able to find 1980's business. If you have an owner's name, that may help.
Search Records - Division of Corporations - Florida Department of State

Thank you Flicka1 & coffeeandacig, I went back over the case files again and think I located the address I needed. But I think that it would be helpful to see who could speak to it from that time! I wish all these databases existed to help us be more helpful! ;)

TIA

Good suggestions already!

Late to the party, if you can find the City Directory for the town, you're likely to find what you need.

Chamber of Commerce might be willing to tell you.

Locate the newspaper archive for the state, read local papers until you find the name & address in an advertisement or article:

Florida Newspapers Online - Division of Library and Information Services - Florida Department of State

UFDC Home - Florida Digital Newspaper Library

UCF Research Guides: Florida News: Online 1821-2004

Local Historical Society or Genealogical Society.

Keep us posted, please!

Thank you Laughing, these are great links! I was able to find the link that I had a feeling was there. I have sent it over to LE for further investigation. But I think there is more follow up on other things I can do with all of this!

Hi,

I am really hoping someone can help me get more information. I am covering the Atlanta Child Murders on my site, and for the life of me, I cannot find anything to do with the boys' autopsies. Specifically, I am looking into the link to Timmy Hill, witnesses claim he was abused by two known paedophiles before he disappeared and abused again the day of his disappearance. However, nowhere can I find if this claim was substantiated in his autopsy report, or anywhere, but with my luck, I am looking in the wrong places.

The majority of the boys were found with just underwear on, but again it's not known if they were abused before death, but there is a strong suggestion this is the case.

I just want to be as factual as possible and it's one of the many questions I have on the case.

There's also the fingerprints that were found on one body, unknown pubic hairs, dog hairs on the others and whilst the dog hairs are said to be linked to Wayne Williams, it's not been confirmed.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

I won't lie, I am so frustrated by this case, I have so many questions and no idea where to find answers, I did include this on Wayne Williams section of the forum, but hoping someone here can help, too.

I'm including more questions (and statements that have thrown me) below. I have taken out the names of the known paedophile's as I'm not sure if they were convicted and don't want to get myself in trouble on the forum:

1. Were the fingerprints found on Curtis' body ever reexamined? If not, why? Is this because the authorities are so convinced it was Wayne Williams?
  2. What did Timmy Hill say to his teacher during those two phone calls, if he didn't say anything how did she know it was him?
  3. If Timmy was raped in the Salvation Army, how could he then go wash a dog straight after? Did anyone clean him up? Take him for medical attention given the state he was reported to have been in?
  4. Were XX and XX ever arrested for sexual abuse and rape of minors? Was XX ever arrested for his involvement?
  5. Why was it not confirmed whether or not any of the boys were sexually abused?
  6. There were pubic hairs found on one of the other victims, were these ever re-examined?
  7. A lot of the eye witness accounts seem to be all over the place, and without knowing the state of decomposition of the bodies of the boys' it's not known if these accounts match the timeline of events.
  8. Was there a composite sketch of the man Margaret Jackson seen on the day Patrick's body was found?
  9. Was the note to XX from the Reverend ever substantiated as a legitimate note? Or was XX stating this to get time shaved off?
  10. A few articles say it was Patrick's mother that received the call from the woman stating she had him, but Joseph's mother was in jail.
  11. Was the link to the gay entertainer's executions ever linked to the murders of these young boys?
  12. Can anyone link me to those murders as I'd like to find out if anyone was arrested? I saw someone was arrested in the 1990s but the way the article is written it's about murders that took place in the 90s' so it doesn't look as though it's the same thing.

I just learned about a relative who was murdered in 1978. From my initial web search it is listed as a cold case with very minimal information and have not seen mention on the forums with the exception of an anecdotal mention . I’d love to look more into this and see if there’s anything I can do to move this investigation along but I’m very new to sleuthing. Any tips on where to start? William J. Leone, murdered 10/31/1978 in Reno, NV.
Photo of William Leone contributed by Kayleigh Smith

@KaySmith92, started a thread for Mr Leone:

October 31, 1978 Reno, NV; William J. Leone

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member