Random things about this case...

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I assume that "deep evidence" means things like DNA matches that are harder to dispute, than circumstantial evidence (for example).

Actually, all DNA matches ARE circumstantial evidence. Anything that requires inference is circumstantial. (E.g., one must infer that since said specimen of DNA matches a sample taken from the suspect, that suspect left the matching specimen.)

Direct testimony is mostly eyewitness testimony, including confessions.

Circumstantial evidence isn't lesser (or less "deep") than direct evidence. In fact, given the problems with coerced confessions and mistaken eyewitnesses, circumstantial evidence is often better.

That's explained on the Jessie Misskelley’s confession – June 3, 1993 page, in the section I'll reproduce below, with the links to the original documents and audio recordings at the Callahan archives:

So, yeah, the fact that Misskelley confessed less than five hours after he was brought in for questioning, which started with him not even being considered a suspect no less, is well documented. As for the claim that Misskelley only confessed after 12 hours of interrogation, that was apparently woven from whole cloth.

As for the TruTV articles you linked, I'd come across them before, but only now taken the time to read them in their entirety since you linked them. Having done so, I have to say that they make for textbook examples of how how poor our mainstream media's coverage of this matter is. I highly recommend reading WM3 Truth's "The Case Against the WM3" section in its entirety, from top to bottom, checking the cited sources as needed; then go back and reread the true TruTV articles you linked for comparison sake. Having recently done as much myself, I assure you that it's quite an eye-opening experience.

Whether it's five hours or twelve isn't the primary point. The primary point is that Misskelley never did get his story right. He couldn't. He wasn't there.

But he had an IQ of 6...how could he possibly get all the details correct?

:waitasec:

hello, I've been reading and posting here for nearly 15 years and I've never heard the term "deep evidence".

That doesn't mean it isn't a valid and useful phrase, even if you invented it yourself. I just wanted to know what you meant by it. No condescension was involved and I'm sorry if it seemed it was.

That's ok...I don't really take offense and yeah 'deep evidence' seems somewhat souped up or loaded.

Let's just say...the evidence

Actually, all DNA matches ARE circumstantial evidence. Anything that requires inference is circumstantial. (E.g., one must infer that since said specimen of DNA matches a sample taken from the suspect, that suspect left the matching specimen.)

Direct testimony is mostly eyewitness testimony, including confessions.

Circumstantial evidence isn't lesser (or less "deep") than direct evidence. In fact, given the problems with coerced confessions and mistaken eyewitnesses, circumstantial evidence is often better.

I was trying to figure out what the other poster meant - that's all. I think that "deep evidence" are things that are harder to refute about culprits being at the scene of the crime or linked to it somehow. The DNA thing was a general example, obviously, even though the testing itself is more reliable than an eyewitness, the way the DNA got on the victims or the scene can be very clear (e.g. blood or semen that could not have gotten there in any other way) or require more piecing together of possible scenarios.

Whether it's five hours or twelve isn't the primary point. The primary point is that Misskelley never did get his story right. He couldn't. He wasn't there.

What makes you say so? I'm seriously wondering - as I've said before in this thread, I don't really have an opinion. I think the five vs. twelve hours was brought up because I used it as an example of something I read in that site I was linked to, nothing more.

I don't think I'll be visiting this thread (or this subforum) anytime soon. I feel like people here are more preoccupied with taking sides and parroting information* than analysing things and trying to find out who killed those boys. The case is about them. The case is not about Echols, Baldwin, and Misskelley. If they were falsely convicted then that's horrible and really unprofessional, obviously, and I feel sorry for them. However, for the sake of the victims, they families, and the three if they are innocent - I do think that there should be more focus on truly trying to find out the perpetrators. It's impossible to do it as long as people keep trying to make this a matter of taking sides. We're not in the playground. This isn't about whether YOU (general you, at most people here) are right or wrong and satisfying your ego. I'm actually surprised because this is one of the cases where widespread attention seems to have turned into more of a debate matter than a collective effort to analyse what happened. I'm even more surprised because in my relatively short time at WS I've posted in several threads and read many more, and I've never encountered this kind of attitude, even when people had different opinions about what happened.

* My example about the number of hours that Misskelley was questioned for is an example, one side will forever parrot police documents and the other side will forever argue that the police is covering up the truth or something.

Veidt, the argument Nova is parroting is explained in further detail and refuted here. As for your insinuation that I will "forever parrot police documents", I'd be happy to prove you wrong if you can provide a compelling reason to doubt the documents in question.

Regardless, it would be a shame to see you leave this subforum so soon after you asked me not to let the environment here put me off. I say that particularly because it seems this discussions need more people who comprehend the fact that this case is most importantly about Stevie Branch, Christopher Byers, Michael Moore: they are the true West Memphis Three. I'm disheartened by how causally you apply the presumption of innocence to the men who were convicted of, and who eventually plead guilty to, murdering those three children. However, I've no doubt that you're capable of familiarizing yourself with body of evidence surrounding this case, and I suspect that you'd make a valuable contributor to this subforum if only you would take the time to do so.

That's ok...I don't really take offense and yeah 'deep evidence' seems somewhat souped up or loaded.

Let's just say...the evidence

So you delved more "deeply" into the case than you had before.

That makes perfect sense, even though I draw a different conclusion.

Sorry again if I seemed to condescend.

I was trying to figure out what the other poster meant - that's all. I think that "deep evidence" are things that are harder to refute about culprits being at the scene of the crime or linked to it somehow. The DNA thing was a general example, obviously, even though the testing itself is more reliable than an eyewitness, the way the DNA got on the victims or the scene can be very clear (e.g. blood or semen that could not have gotten there in any other way) or require more piecing together of possible scenarios.

Sorry I corrected you. I did know what you meant, but I worry that thanks to the misuse of "circumstantial" by TV talking heads (and even some defense attorneys!), we risk confusing future juries.

Because there are special instructions concerning circumstantial evidence and each juror needs to know where those instructions apply.

What makes you say so? I'm seriously wondering - as I've said before in this thread, I don't really have an opinion. I think the five vs. twelve hours was brought up because I used it as an example of something I read in that site I was linked to, nothing more.

I don't think I'll be visiting this thread (or this subforum) anytime soon. I feel like people here are more preoccupied with taking sides and parroting information* than analysing things and trying to find out who killed those boys. The case is about them. The case is not about Echols, Baldwin, and Misskelley. If they were falsely convicted then that's horrible and really unprofessional, obviously, and I feel sorry for them. However, for the sake of the victims, they families, and the three if they are innocent - I do think that there should be more focus on truly trying to find out the perpetrators. It's impossible to do it as long as people keep trying to make this a matter of taking sides. We're not in the playground. This isn't about whether YOU (general you, at most people here) are right or wrong and satisfying your ego. I'm actually surprised because this is one of the cases where widespread attention seems to have turned into more of a debate matter than a collective effort to analyse what happened. I'm even more surprised because in my relatively short time at WS I've posted in several threads and read many more, and I've never encountered this kind of attitude, even when people had different opinions about what happened.

* My example about the number of hours that Misskelley was questioned for is an example, one side will forever parrot police documents and the other side will forever argue that the police is covering up the truth or something.

Sorry again. The length of the interrogation DOES matter in that coerced confessions become more likely the longer the suspect is under interrogation.

But to me, Misskelley's intelligence (or lack thereof) makes the interrogation time less of a factor than it would be were you or I on the "hot seat".

And if the subject can't get the facts of the crime straight and instead parrots what the police believe at the time, the odds are very good that the subject's answers are merely the result of coaching.

For example, the police believed that the condition of the victim's rectums showed they had been sodomized. So that's a major part of JM's testimony even though later experts proved the sodomy never happened.

Misskelley also got the time of day wrong and greatly exaggerated his friendship with his fellow defendants. I don't think there's any way Echols and Baldwin trusted Jessie enough to commit mass murder with him. They barely knew him.

Whether it's the WM3, Amanda Knox or Jody Arias, NO CONFESSION is reliable unless it is well supported by forensic or other direct evidence. We should all know that by now.

Veidt, the argument Nova is parroting is explained in further detail and refuted here. As for your insinuation that I will "forever parrot police documents", I'd be happy to prove you wrong if you can provide a compelling reason to doubt the documents in question.

Regardless, it would be a shame to see you leave this subforum so soon after you asked me not to let the environment here put me off. I say that particularly because it seems this discussions need more people who comprehend the fact that this case is most importantly about Stevie Branch, Christopher Byers, Michael Moore: they are the true West Memphis Three. I'm disheartened by how causally you apply the presumption of innocence to the men who were convicted of, and who eventually plead guilty to, murdering those three children. However, I've no doubt that you're capable of familiarizing yourself with body of evidence surrounding this case, and I suspect that you'd make a valuable contributor to this subforum if only you would take the time to do so.

You do realize that some of us have been discussing this case here and elsewhere for almost 20 years, yes? Compassionate Person is the real expert, but I've had plenty of time to form my own conclusions without "parroting" anybody.

And continually demanding that we read and refute some blogger with no more access to case info than we have is not likely to bear fruit.

If you find actual evidence that implicates the WM3 in the murders of which they were convicted, by all means share it. As I said, I've been waiting for almost two decades!

You do realize that some of us have been discussing this case here and elsewhere for almost 20 years, yes? Compassionate Person is the real expert, but I've had plenty of time to form my own conclusions without "parroting" anybody.

And continually demanding that we read and refute some blogger with no more access to case info than we have is not likely to bear fruit.

If you find actual evidence that implicates the WM3 in the murders of which they were convicted, by all means share it. As I said, I've been waiting for almost two decades!

Hiya Nova,

I have posted the link to Callahans a couple of times on different threads, some clearly don't want to read actual testimony and court docs. IMO it would be hard to make an informed decision reading blogs and watching the movies.

I was saying that both sides parrot and preach, because it's true. The Misskelley confession was an example - people who support him are obviously going to say that the police is trying to cover up in their records, people who don't will say that the records are correct. This is true of many facts about this case. One side will interpret it one way and others will interpret it another way. That's not what upsets me because different points of view can be constructive, but what does annoy me is that people are more concerned about debating about what they believe in rather than constructively examining the evidence.

I told you not to be discouraged when reading it for information. In that sense it is true, and I will still read it for new links and updates because there are people here who keep up with the case more regularly than I do and can find more information than a person alone who would otherwise google it once every few years. However, where discussion is concerned, I do feel discouraged from reading people's opinions here and from participating.

I'm not casually applying the presumption of innocence to anyone because as I have said before, I don't really know who did it. If you could tell me where I said that they were innocent, I'd be interested in knowing. Everything I have said, from that perspective, could be easily construed as presuming that other suspects were innocent. That would be inaccurate as well. I'm not taking sides or claiming that anyone is innocent.

Thank you for believing that I would be a valuable contributor. It's a bit presumptuous to assume that I have barely heard about the case, too. Nowadays I have no opinion because I unfortunately do not have the time and energy to keep up with new developments and because I can't remember certain details and as you can see from one of my last posts I cannot even quite remember which books and sites are which. However at one point of my life I read a lot about it and even then I did not have a final opinion.

My post was not a direct attack towards anyone. My post was simply being disheartened that people here are so dogmatic and treat the case as a debate. This is very different from most threads on WS where people with different theories can still remember that they're not doing this to prove they're right but to help bring justice to the victims and closure to their families. That's why I joined WS - people here are more focused on helping the victims than obsessed with the criminals. Call it what you will but when I read posts here, I get the feeling that most people care more about defending their position and talking down to people who think differently. Again, I don't like the mindset where people are doing this to prove whether they or suspects are right.

Hiya Nova,

I have posted the link to Callahans a couple of times on different threads, some clearly don't want to read actual testimony and court docs. IMO it would be hard to make an informed decision reading blogs and watching the movies.

And some of us have read it more than once and long ago. I don't feel compelled to reread all the case evidence every time a new person comes along to insist the WM3 are guilty. Burden of proof falls to the affirmative and all that.

Anyway, Compassionate Person has Callahans memorized. It's easier to ask her.

And if the subject can't get the facts of the crime straight and instead parrots what the police believe at the time, the odds are very good that the subject's answers are merely the result of coaching.
How exactly have you calculated these odds against other conceivable explanations, such as Misskelley's recollection being distorted by the drinking whiskey and smoking pot he mentioned in is confession, and also his reported habit of huffing gasoline?

Also, I'm aware of the fact that no conclusive evidence of sodomy was found, but am at a loss as to how anyone could actually prove the sodomy Misskelley described never actually happened, let alone by whom and how you're suggesting this has been proven. If I've overlooked something in this regard, please elaborate.

And finally, the notion that Echols and Baldwin barely knew Misskelley is thoroughly refuted by the evidence presented here, including an incident where where Misskelley put a knife to John Perschke's throat and threatened his life while hanging out with both Echols and Baldwin, as recounted by both Perschke and Renee Flesher.

I was saying that both sides parrot and preach, because it's true.
Of course that's true of any argument with enough people involved. However, you more specifically also insinuated that I "will forever parrot police documents", seeing as how I was the one who just provided you the police documents to appease your curiosity regarding the timeline of Misskelley's confession. So again, I'd be happy to prove you wrong if you can provide a compelling reason to doubt the documents in question. Absent that, I'd appreciate it if you could bring yourself to retract your disparaging insinuation against me.

As for your causal presumption of innocence toward the convicted, I was referring to your previous comments, most notably "The case is not about Echols, Baldwin, and Misskelley" which you followed up shortly after with "there should be more focus on truly trying to find out the perpetrators." Furthermore, I wasn't presuming to know how how much you've heard about this case, but rather referencing the fact that you weren't even aware that the timeline of Misskelley's initial confession is laid out in official documents, and taking you at your word that when you said "most of what I know about this case are the more mainstream details."

As for your complaint that the debate over this case is so different from most discussions on this forum, I've no doubt it is. How many other here are cases you come across here in which a multimillion-dollar celebrity-backed campaign has been focused on attempting to exonerate individuals who were both convicted of and plead guilty to the crimes they were accused of? I'd be shocked if you could provide even a single remotely comparable example.

Of course that's true of any argument with enough people involved. However, you more specifically also insinuated that I "will forever parrot police documents", seeing as how I was the one who just provided you the police documents to appease your curiosity regarding the timeline of Misskelley's confession. So again, I'd be happy to prove you wrong if you can provide a compelling reason to doubt the documents in question. Absent that, I'd appreciate it if you could bring yourself to retract your disparaging insinuation against me.

As for your causal presumption of innocence toward the convicted, I was referring to your previous comments, most notably "The case is not about Echols, Baldwin, and Misskelley" which you followed up shortly after with "there should be more focus on truly trying to find out the perpetrators." Furthermore, I wasn't presuming to know how how much you've heard about this case, but rather referencing the fact that you weren't even aware that the timeline of Misskelley's initial confession is laid out in official documents, and taking you at your word that when you said "most of what I know about this case are the more mainstream details."

As for your complaint that the debate over this case is so different from most discussions on this forum, I've no doubt it is. How many other here are cases you come across here in which a multimillion-dollar celebrity-backed campaign has been focused on attempting to exonerate individuals who were both convicted of and plead guilty to the crimes they were accused of? I'd be shocked if you could provide even a single remotely comparable example.

Don't you think you're reading a bit too much into what I said? I wasn't targeting you specifically when I said that about parroting. I said that both sides do it. You even quoted that part. I'm at a loss to understand how you think I was accusing you exclusively. I made no "disparaging insinuation" against you. There was no insinuation because what I had to say I said it upfront. It was not against you because I have better things to do than to single out forum members - if anything it was meant towards you and many other people as well. Additionally, it was not disparaging because it was a criticism, and a constructive one at that about why I'm frustrated with discussions about this case. Thanks to adding to that and proving my point that people make this about them.

Ok, first of - I said that the case is not about these guys because it isn't, or at least shouldn't be. I think you may not have read the entirety of my past comments or very conveniently chose to exclude significant chunks of it. I'm sorry if it was not clear from the start (though I think I made it plain) that I am not assuming anyone's innocence. That paragraph, if you go back and re-read, was about my frustration over the fact that people are more focused on the WM3 that on the victims. When I talked about finding the perpetrators, I was talking about whoever the true perpetrators may be - the WM3, the stepfather, someone else entirely. I was not singling out any suspects by that statement.

I said that the other website should back up its sources because it's true. Coming from an academic setting, I know the importance of explaining where you are getting your statements from. I was curious to know if there was any evidence beyond police records because as I said when I used the records as an example, people who don't believe them will find a way to refute it.

Perhaps the fact that this case has so much press and publicity is the main part of the problem. I think it's great to get the word out on cases, but clearly, in this case it's doing much harm as well. I think that IF the WM3 are innocent then it's great for them that they will get a re-trial. But in either case, my complaint was not about how people feel over their release because I'm sure that people's feelings are valid because of their different points of view. My complaint is that people make this a personal case where they want to prove that they're right at all costs. It's almost as if they're the ones in front of a judge. This is not the case. I wonder if the WM3 were found guilty again, or if they were found innocent, without any doubt that no mistakes were made in the investigation this time, if the side who turned out to be wrong would accept this easily. In most other cases I'm sure that people would go, "well, my theory was wrong, but I'm glad that they found the perp and brought some justice and closure to everyone affected by this crime". In this case, people think this is somehow about proving that their theory is the right one. As I said previously, different points of view are helpful. However it's a problem when people don't treat different perspectives as useful things to get to the bottom of the case but as dogmas that have to be defended at all costs.

How exactly have you calculated these odds against other conceivable explanations, such as Misskelley's recollection being distorted by thau drinking whiskey and smoking pot he mentioned in is confession, and also his reported habit of huffing gasoline?"

It is abundantly obvious that you are even newer, far newer, to the case than I am - or else that you have not bothered to look at the evidence as well as its interpretations on the pro and con sites.

The problem is NOT, I repeat NOT Jessie's "wrong recollections". The problem is suggestibility and, more importantly, how much information was actually supplied by Miskelley as opposed to the police (where his answer was simply "yes" to anything those authority figures supplied him. You may not believe "The Devil's Knot" - though the author proceeded from the assumption that the police might have real evidence against WM3 and through her investigations found out there was none. In the "Devil's Knot" Jessie describes his experience, inter alia his belief that the whole interrogation was a game where the interrogators knew they were lying and they also knew he was lying - and at the end of the game he would get home).

But if you do not believe this, is it TOO MUCH to ask you to look at a scientific analysis of the interrogation, based on what information Jessie gave himself and how much was supplied by the police (where he just agreed, since he considered this as part of the game where his role was to agree). The site is http://www.jivepuppi.com/jivepuppi_slide_presentation_23.html, but the presentation is based on Dr Roger Shuy's article in the respected journal "Forensic Linguistics" - see the last slide. You will see that Jessie was supplied virtually ALL of the details by the interrogators and just agreed to them. The moment he volunteered anything on his own, he got things badly wrong. (I'll try to post the original article here, but I am afraid it is protected by copyright - the presentation, however, is sufficiently detailed).
False confessions are usually identified by the proportion of corroborated evidence the confessor supplies himself (or, as in this case, does not supply himself). (The same is true of, say, jailhouse snitches: if they really lead to a knife that nobody knows the whereabouts of, this would be corroborated testimony, if they just say what the prosecution has said all along, this is uncorroborated testimony - as in the case of Carson).
So in the case of Jessie, the absolute majority of details, and indeed any details of any significance, were supplied by the police. If you refuse to read the presentation, I'll supply the pertinent details in the next post. (I am also thoroughly prepared to discuss the other "confessions" of Miskelley. At the moment I can only say that I feel blessed that I have no acquaintances with the IQ of 70 - I have never committed any crime nor feel like committing one, and I am also, as a result of some research, determined to NEVER speak to the police without an attorney who really has my interests at heart present - but with this kind of acquaintance one is really helpless, particularly if the biased judge rules that their "confession" is totally admissible).

The analysis presented at the address I have supplied also speaks to a far larger point in such matters. Many people on both sides say they have read all the documents on, say, callahan. One cannot check this, of course, but if one wonders how people have read ALL of these (let us believe them) and come to radically different conclusions, there is actually an innocent explanation that does not imply that some people are lying. One can, indeed, actually read all the documents, but there is also the factor of CRITICAL READING that impacts the resulting conclusions. Jessie's "confession" is a perfect case in point. One can read it and register how many details Jessie "provides", without actually noticing that most of the details are provided by the police. This is not a condemnation of anybody - we are all prone to just registering the information without noticing who the actual source is. The same applies to the notorious Exhibit 500. There is an excellent analysis of this (by no means totally favorable to Echols, see http://www.refugeesunleashed.net/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=14786&start=25 ). When one reads the analysis, one notices for the first time - at least this is true of me - not just the information but who the SOURCE of the information is. In the case of Exhibit 500 it is amazing what a huge proportion of the evidence can be just sourced to Jerry Driver and him alone. We get a so-called "statement" of Echols and do not notice that the actual and only source corroborating the statement is Jerry Drivers (and this goes on from statement to statement, just look at http://www.refugeesunleashed.net/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=14786&start=25). So yes, we can read a document and draw different conclusions from it if we do not actually analyse and deconstruct the document.

I would actually like to end here. The rest is typical kyleb: he or she puts the onus of proving things on everybody else but himself, which is wholly unjustified (I am refraining from more forceful, and more adequate, adjectives here). I have already had one encounter with him/her and the utter uselessness of debating with a person who takes perjured testimony or testimony by pseudo-experts as gospel truth while demanding that everybody else provide detailed proof (affidavits - which are not actually legal proof - etc) beggars belief. So one has the following:

"I'm aware of the fact that no conclusive evidence of sodomy was found, but am at a loss as to how anyone could actually prove the sodomy Misskelley described never actually happened, let alone by whom and how you're suggesting this has been proven. If I've overlooked something in this regard, please elaborate".

So it is demanded that "we" "elaborate" on something "he/she" has overlooked. First off, he or she should find the things they have "overlooked" - the sources are plenty! In the particular case, the prosecutor's own forensic specialist - the one who was never accredited since he failed the requisite exams twice and then refused to take them any more - says that NO sodomy happened, of any kind, including the "kind" "described" by Miscelley, whatever that means - Jessie did not know what "groin" means and had to be asked if he knew what "penis" means (the only time when even the interrogators had to tacitly acknowledge that his IQ was not quite normal). Jessie Miskelley did not know who "Satin" was (he knew only the word "devil"), he did not know who Bill Clinton was (just elected President, from Arkansas), he did not understand that a "defense attorney" is not part of the police but is actually on his side, he did not understand what "groin" means - and I am not sure he actually understood what "penis" means, whatever he said to placate his interrogators - and the supporters are required to prove that "sodomy as described by Miskelley (sic!)" did NOT occur. The arrogance and preposterousness of that kind of demand just beggars belief! Jessie said "screw them and stuff" and the prosecutor's forensic medic said there was no screwing whatsoever, and we somehow have to prove that the screwing "as described by Jessie" did not occur. "If I have missed something, please elaborate" - yes, you have missed everything and nobody can elaborate everything! I am usually VERY cautious of using the word troll, but could anybody "prove" and "elaborate" what else we have to do with this person?

I have just run out of time and energy and indeed a sensible reason to undertake the rest of the points made by this poster. The only one I should like to address because it is not his alone - in fact it is the favorite
argument of the State (prosecution) - is the presence of funds provided by the so-called "celebrities". Now this is something that really makes my blood boil. It also indicates to me (though it does not "prove" anything and I have no affidavits to support it!) that the poster might be directly connected with the police-prosecution side of the case.
These defendants were INDIGENT for many years, before the "Paradise Lost" documentary brought attention to their case. Meaning that they had NO funds for conducting any forensic tests of their own, or hiring a detective, or hiring their own defense attorneys, or attracting any outside attention to their case. Now this kind of defendant is the dream of the prosecution - totally helpless and doomed to be forgotten. (I have NO affidavits or other proof but I would not be surprised if in many cases defendants would not be at least unconsciously selected on that criterion). They have absolutely no way of defending themselves. Their attorneys are court-appointed and often dine with the judge and the prosecutors. The attorneys' pay does not depend on how successful they are in defending the accused. In fact, it appears that the opposite is the case: Dan Sidham, who all of a sudden listened to his own conscience and the demands of decency and really understood that his client was innocent, had long delays in getting his remuneration, almost going bankrupt, and finally got 19 dollars per hour instead of 100 that was the rule. 19 dollars per hour - the wages of a cleaning woman - were decided by Judge Burnett - a horribly biased judge if there ever was one - and seen by Sidham quite justly as punishment for not towing the party line.
The only detective who worked pro bono for the case was Ron Lax, most experts turned them down (Ochse as a notable exception). These defendants were utterly expendable. So except for the "Paradise Lost" documentary, which was a total fluke and which started out with the film-makers believing they were making a film about satanic, depraved adolescents killing innocent children - a belief that the very trials belied - the defendants would have been forgotten, one of them executed - business as usual.
In other words, we have no OJ case here. We have the "usual" case (one wonders how many innocents are convicted in those "usual" cases, the Innocence Project touches only the tip of the iceberg). We have a case where the defendants were utterly helpless for quite a few years, and the State (represented both by the prosecution and the Judge, and, a peculiarity of Arkansas, also the forensic team) was fully satisfied. Innocence or guilt did not enter the picture, the important thing was to have people convicted for a crime that had sent the community into panic. It was only after the fluke of the documentary that support started to gather - do you wonder why Jason Baldwin now fights for cameras being put into every courtroom? And the end result was not "celebrities" paying for the release of WM3. The end result was simply getting the WM3 the treatment that the US, under its Constitution, owes to EVERY defendant, rich or poor. The "celebrities" did not bribe judges, they just provided money for DNA and forensic analyses that should have been the responsibility of the State to start with. Incidentally, when DNA testing started, the State promised to pay for half of it. In the end, they went back on their promise to the extent that they paid NOTHING at all - all money came from the defence. Since it went into millions, of course wealthy donors were needed. The analysis embraced a huge number of items, foreign DNA was found, DNA consistent with TH and DJ was found, but on the huge number of items no DNA of the defendants was found. While absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, in general, the absence of the DNA of ANY of the defendants on so many items where other DNA was found is very strong evidence in favor of factual innocence of the defendants.
Now all of this, or at least a great part of this, should, ideally, be available to all defendants, however indigent, and obviously to defendants with death penalty looming. In reality, it is not. Now THAT is a shame, not the fact that in this one case the tests were indeed conducted for a man on Death Row.

So excuse me but the argument that "celebrity support" got guilty men off is total BS. Actually, LACK of celebrity support gets innocent people life without parole or death penalty. That is the real shame.

And some of us have read it more than once and long ago. I don't feel compelled to reread all the case evidence every time a new person comes along to insist the WM3 are guilty. Burden of proof falls to the affirmative and all that.

Anyway, Compassionate Person has Callahans memorized. It's easier to ask her.

Nor I.

She has been quiet lately, hope she is doing well.

Nor I.

She has been quiet lately, hope she is doing well.

I hope so, too. We probably wore her out!

kyleb, there was no semen recovered from inside the victims and no evidence of the tearing of the rectum one would expect from a rape. The distended sphincters misinterpreted by the police are common in cases of asphyxiation.

And if Misskelley's memory was damaged by huffing or the like, that's hardly an argument that his "confessions" are MORE reliable!

You can't have it both ways. You can't cherry-pick the parts of his confession you like and dismiss the rest because of his IQ or drug use.

I'm at a loss to understand how you think I was accusing you exclusively.
I don't think that, nor did I suggest as much. For demonstration purposes I'll say: I feel like people here will either partake in thorough consideration of the body of evidence as a whole, wave their hands at it wildly to defend their positions of faith, or neglect careful consideration to sit on the fence while imagining it to be some sort of high horse. Now I haven't accused you of anything with that statement, but given the fact that you're the only fence sitter who's recently been participating in this thread, my inclusion of that third category is an obvious allusion to you, much like your claim of "one side will forever parrot police documents" was an obvious allusion to me. Granted, I would never suggest you will forever sit on the fence while imagining it to be some sort of high horse, as I'm in no place to say what your future holds, and hence can't rightly justify that disparaging insinuation.

Coming from an academic setting, I know the importance of explaining where you are getting your statements from. I was curious to know if there was any evidence beyond police records because as I said when I used the records as an example, people who don't believe them will find a way to refute it.
Your statement made it clear that you were not aware of the police records which were provided as sources (bolding mine):

I just wonder what their sources are, sometimes; for example, they state that Misskelley was not interrogated for 12 hours but I wonder what their source is - if they found official documents, consulted people who were there and remember, etc. It's not on the Callahan site either, not that I can see at least.

As I demonstrated in [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9020324&postcount=219"]my responseto your curiosity[/ame], WM3 Truth does cite their sources when they initially address the timeline of Misskelley's first confession, with links to official documents at the Callahan archives. Did your academic background not teach you that claims substantiated by sources can be repeated later without repeat citations, and hence one must read an argument from the beginning to end before assuming claims were made without proper citation?

Furthermore, your claim that people who don't believe the aforementioned documents will find a way to refute them assumes that such a means exists, or perhaps can be willed into existence. Did your academic background not enlighten you to the fact that while anything can be disputed with at least faulty arguments if not legitimate ones, some things simply can't be refuted?

It is abundantly obvious that you are even newer, far newer, to the case than I am - or else that you have not bothered to look at the evidence as well as its interpretations on the pro and con sites.
I'm nearly certain that I'm far newer to this case than you, but given your arguments I've have serious doubts that you've assessed the evidence to anywhere near the extent which I have. That said, I just put considerable time into addressing your contentions in this thread, and I hope you might might respect the fact that I'd prefer to see how you respond to that before I take the time to work my way through your arguments here.

kyleb, there was no semen recovered from inside the victims and no evidence of the tearing of the rectum one would expect from a rape.
Yet rape does not require ejaculation, internal or otherwise, and the rape described by Misskelley suggests only external ejaculation. As for tearing, while that's certainly common in cases of rape, a lack of tearing does not preclude the possibility of rape.

And if Misskelley's memory was damaged by huffing or the like, that's hardly an argument that his "confessions" are MORE reliable!
Nor have I suggested any such an argument.

You can't cherry-pick the parts of his confession you like and dismiss the rest because of his IQ or drug use.
Nor do I have any interest in doing anything of the sort, which is why for example I've acknowledged the fact that there's no conclusive evidence of sodomy in this case, any why I've never claimed any of the boys were raped. That said, what is one to make of your claim that Echols and Baldwin "barely knew" Misskelley, along with your lack of acknowledgment of the evidence to the contrary which I presented to you. Can you explain that as anything other than cherry-picking?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi8773
Back