Rape allegations mount against Bill Cosby #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking the same as you: it strikes us as very odd today that someone would "take a pill" (or two or three) just because Bill Cosby handed them to her, but the 1970s were a very different time: "Turn on, drop out" and all that jazz. Add the reverence we feel towards celebrities in our culture and I have no trouble believing naive young women took a pill or several pills just because Cosby told them they needed an "herbal" remedy.
So no personal responsibility necessary.

Re: bandwagon I'm a more modern person than 1855, origin of jumping on the bandwagon.

Well, modern bands are much smaller and joining one implies a level of commitment far greater than merely agreeing with a common opinion.

But I thought I was just adding a minor clarification. If I seemed to be picking at your post or your use of the language, I apologize.

And we see it again just now - all the pearl clutching over a 15 year old at the playboy mansion. The unsaid implication being that if she was there, it was her or her parents' fault - not that it was the fault of the adults at this mansion who allegedly invited her, allowed her to stay, and attacked her.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbm: That's the bottom line. Ultimately the denizens of the mansion should have sent the 15 yr old home before anything happened. JMHO

I said no such thing--though "personal responsibility" gets ambiguous when we are talking young people and the elders they are told to respect.

I merely said the cultural context was different and what strikes us as bizarre--perhaps even unbelievable--today may have seemed normal according to the thinking of an earlier time. My point was the credibility of the claims.

For the sake of argument, let's say that these women should have been more aware of the potential of being 'roofied'. I certainly wasn't when I was a young woman out and about in the 70's. Does the fact that they were careless, foolish, or naïve mean that they deserved to be raped and brutalized?

This is getting perilously close to 'she was asking for it' territory.

Here's an example: I get blind drunk (never!!) and fall down the stairs and fracture my skull. That's personal responsibility- or lack thereof.
Second example: I get blind drunk, and my husband pitches me down the stairs and my skull is fractured. That's a crime, regardless of my drinking.

For the sake of argument, let's say that these women should have been more aware of the potential of being 'roofied'. I certainly wasn't when I was a young woman out and about in the 70's. Does the fact that they were careless, foolish, or naïve mean that they deserved to be raped and brutalized?

This is getting perilously close to 'she was asking for it' territory.

Here's an example: I get blind drunk (never!!) and fall down the stairs and fracture my skull. That's personal responsibility- or lack thereof.
Second example: I get blind drunk, and my husband pitches me down the stairs and my skull is fractured. That's a crime, regardless of my drinking.

I came of age in the 1970s and I never heard of "roofies" or GHB until the 1990s.

But in 1974 I did take a couple of puffs off a joint that was passed at a party--and woke up 18 hours later on the floor. (It turned out the joint was hashish, not regular grass.) Nothing bad happened to me (I was at a friend's house), but nor did I even think to ask "what's in this?" before I smoked.

(And, yes, Charlie, I share responsibility for not asking. But lucky for me, no harm, no foul.)

As for your more important point, Moraq: no, of course not. Trusting "Dr. Huxtable" when he says you need medicine may be foolish, but it's also human and doesn't mean you are fair game for a rapist.

The implication that Cosby's victims bear some "personal responsibility" for what happened because they took the pills he gave them is the height of absurdity.

First, in cases where he "identified" what the pills were, he claimed they were an herbal remedy or cold medicine or some other innocuous substance. What, were the victims expected to carry around a mini chemistry set so they could test whether what he said was true or not?

Second, in cases where the victim unquestioningly took the pills, what would have happened had she asked Cosby what the pills were? I doubt he would have said, "They're potent pharmaceuticals that are going to knock you out so I can rape you."

Actor/Comedian Patton Oswalt On Bill Cosby: ‘Comedians Have Known For Long ******ing Time’
http://www./1657701/actorcomedian-p...sby-comedians-have-known-for-long-fking-time/

"The Bill Cosby thing is so ******ing awful, and what’s worse for comedians is a lot of us have known for a long ******ing time. It was a very badly kept secret in the comedian world, and a lot of us would talk about it...Some guy takes that away from them, he doesn’t lose a second of sleep over it…and by the way, how many women have come forward at this point, like thirteen? That means that there’s hundreds. That means that there’s ******ing hundreds."

It's sad to know this was "a badly kept secret in the comedian world". I wonder how many men knew about BC's proclivities yet were too afraid of the influential comedian to speak out about it. Sound familiar?

But I'm glad for men like Buress and now Oswalt, ready to comment about it, finally.

From some of the victims' reported experiences, it's clear BC often had male friends around who may have known or suspected BC's methods of drugging and incapacitating these women. Wouldn't it be brave of them to come forward now and offer some backup to the victims? I'm not holding my breath. But turning the tide on attitudes about rape is going to require courage and honesty and changed attitudes of both men and women.

IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's sad to know this was "a badly kept secret in the comedian world". I wonder how many men knew about BC's proclivities yet were too afraid of the influential comedian to speak out about it. Sound familiar?

But I'm glad for men like Buress and now Oswalt, ready to comment about it, finally.

From some of the victims' reported experiences, it's clear BC often had male friends around who may have known or suspected BC's methods of drugging and incapacitating these women. Wouldn't it be brave of them to come forward now and offer some backup to the victims? I'm not holding my breath. But turning the tide on attitudes about rape is going to require courage and honesty and changed attitudes of both men and women.

IMHO Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If all this is true, are we to believe his wife had no idea?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Cosby-Saturday-Night-Live-NINE-YEARS-ago.html
How Tina Fey first took on Bill Cosby on Saturday Night Live NINE YEARS ago

I like Tina Fey. I like her humor.
Whatever fence you ride on here...the SNL segment doesn't ring so funny today.
IMO...Fey was letting the 'cat out the bag' in a public fashion. The 'talk' was there...and lots of insiders psst-psst'ed about it.

I must admire at least Tina Fey's admonition.

Cosby accuser also testified against Marv Albert

Associated Press by JOSH CORNFIELD 39 minutes ago

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) — A woman who said Friday that Bill Cosby had drugged her and sexually assaulted her in 1979 also accused another famous man of attempted sexual assault: sportscaster Marv Albert, who pleaded guilty to assault and battery the day after her surprise testimony against him.

(Regarding Cosby): "I just want him exposed for the serial druggie rapist that he is. He's got to be stopped," Masten said. "I don't care if he's 77 years old. He's got to be stopped."

Read more: http://news.yahoo.com/cosby-accuser-testified-against-marv-albert-010448405.html

If all this is true, are we to believe his wife had no idea?

I'm really trying to decide what to make of the wife. I don't think she was completely in the dark. But as I said in an earlier comment, I think she saw it as "infidelity", not "criminal rape".

Whatever she believed in the past, she is not a stupid woman and she can't pretend to be that now. I am very interested to see what she will do going forward. What will be the "last straw" for her? A 15 year old victim? Is she even following the press reports? What about their daughters? What must it be like for them? Do they believe their father or the victims?

About 20 years ago, there was a scandal in my home town. Some revelations in a court case revealed a prominent businessman and family man has carried on a lurid affair with a notoriously sexy Madame. It stunned the community, and as the scandal unfolded, his wife of 35 years stood by him. Folks wondered, how could she? It took a couple years for her to decide to end the marriage. I think it was just hard for her to decide what to do while under the constant scrutiny of media attention. It was after it all died down and the pressure was off that she was able to objectively assess her feelings, and when she did, she divorced him.

I hope it will be like this for CC. I embrace the whole "for better, for worse" aspect of marriage, but there are valid reasons to end a marriage, and when your husband has been a serial philanderer and a serial rapist, there is no getting past that.

IMHO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Been watching the news to see anything about Gloria Allred's promised statement for tonight according to the link I posted upthread.

Nothing. Goodnight, all.

Los Angeles police investigating Bill Cosby abuse claim

Published: 05 December 2014 09:16 PM Updated: 05 December 2014 09:16 PM

LOS ANGELES — Los Angeles police opened an investigation on Friday into a woman's claims that Bill Cosby molested her when she was 15 years old, a department spokeswoman said.

The investigation was opened after Judy Huth, who is suing Cosby for sexual battery, met with Los Angeles police detectives for 90 minutes.

Los Angeles Police Officer Jane Kim said the department opened its investigation after the meeting.

(BBM)

Read more: http://www.dallasnews.com/entertainment/celebrity-news/headlines/20141205-los-angeles-police-investigating-bill-cosby-abuse-claim.ece

Been watching the news to see anything about Gloria Allred's promised statement for tonight according to the link I posted upthread.

Nothing. Goodnight, all.

I found a reference to her statement in this article:

Cops investigate Bill Cosby

Published: 19:45 EST, 5 December 2014 | Updated: 23:55 EST, 5 December 2014

Gloria Allred addressed reporters outside LAPD's West Bureau on Friday night with alleged victim Judith Huth to confirm that they had met with two detectives.

She urged other people who believe they were victims of sexual abuse to speak out regardless of when it happened and what evidence they have.

Allred added: 'I am honored to represent [Huth] and I am inspired by her courage.'

She refused to acknowledge Huth's separate civil case against Cosby, which was filed by a different lawyer.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2863072/Bill-Cosby-face-scale-LAPD-investigation-alleged-rape-victim-files-police-report.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth