Rebecca Zahau Wrongful Death/ADAM SHACKNAI FOUND RESPONSIBLE #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very true. And let's face it, he's a weirdo. Unless his big bro is for some reason willing to continue to pay the freight, this is going nowhere, imo. My guess is Jonah lit up Webb last night for losing the case and costing him a fortune, thus all Webb's blustering at today's presser. I'm thinking JS would also like to/already has lit up Adam as well for creating this "mess" in his otherwise perfectly botoxed world.

BBM. Thank you for this! I thought the same thing! From what I have read the Defense Legal Team is a Dream Team. JS did NOT expect them to lose!

IANAL but I don't think the defense can just go on a fishing expedition like that.

Maybe a real lawyer can weigh in.

Post trial interviews with jurors are allowed and very often happen. There are ethical limitations that can get a lawyer sanctioned, but questioning jurors is very common and likely in this case IMO.

Voting that AS should pay damages for a death they voted he didn't cause.

I think they were just asked what the damages were, rather than asked what damages AS caused or what AS should pay.

It would be nice if that happens, but Greer said he assumed all along they would appeal if the jury found in favor of the Zahau family. Jonah has money to burn and JMO, his ego will not allow him to accept defeat. He's a narcissist and doesn't like losing. Even though it's his brother's trial, JS has been running the show from the start. From the first hours after RZ's death, he built and sold the case for suicide and he's not about to let anyone change that ruling. He "owns" that suicide ruling and he's not going to part with it easily. It's a matter of personal and family pride to him. It's what his brother, kids, ex-wife, etc all want - to vilify and demean Rebecca in death. It makes them all feel they're atoning Max's death; I think they all blame RZ, though she had nothing to do with it. You could magically produce a video of Max's accidental death and they would all still blame RZ. Take away the "suicide" ruling and they feel it's an injury to Max's memory.

I have a difficult time trying to fathom how they think. They're a very dysfunctional family that insists on blaming and punishing others when anything goes wrong in their lives.

All JMO

You may be right, Betty. Time will tell. I actually think JS has probably been a teeny bit humbled by this experience. He made sure of the suicide ruling, and never in a million years did he think the Zahaus would push forward or that an attorney would take their case or a judge would hear it. Once he adjusted to that reality, he focused on providing his brother (or more accurately, his own reputation) with the best team of attorneys money could buy (money badly spent, as we all now know, including him). And wonder of wonders, he lost again.

Now, if this was a judgment against him, personally, I'd agree with you. But I have a hard time imagining he'll step up again for Adam.

We shall see which way this goes. (I do hope I'm right, because the Zahaus have been through enough with that family.)

Post trial interviews with jurors are allowed and very often happen. There are ethical limitations that can get a lawyer sanctioned, but questioning jurors is very common and likely in this case IMO.

Thanks SB. So would they attempt to find out if there was juror misconduct, as was implied earlier on this thread? Shouldn’t any juror observing misconduct have reported it immediately, rather than waiting for a verdict and questions from the defense attorney? They were told repeatedly what not to do during their breaks, etc., so they knew what misconduct was. It would seem to me that waiting until after the verdict to report misconduct is a deliberate attempt by a juror to get a mistrial.

Missed the recent episode of defense reality show this morning.
Does anyone have a link?
TIA

Thanks SB. So would they attempt to find out if there was juror misconduct, as was implied earlier on this thread? Shouldn’t any juror observing misconduct have reported it immediately, rather than waiting for a verdict and questions from the defense attorney? They were told repeatedly what not to do during their breaks, etc., so they knew what misconduct was. It would seem to me that waiting until after the verdict to report misconduct is a deliberate attempt by a juror to get a mistrial.

It will partially be to check for juror misconduct, whether deliberate or a misunderstanding, for example if someone tells one of the attorneys that he or she remembered something from an article in 2011 and it swayed their decision in any way. But really most of the time post-trial interviews are about learning juror motivation for future knowledge in other cases and, more importantly here, the appeals process.

ETA: Yes if any juror witnessed any misconduct they should have reported it, but it still happens and sometimes it's within one juror's mind that it occurs and they don't even realize it but an attorney can pull it out by questioning them about their reasoning.

Wow. Can't believe Sheriff Gore stands by the flawed suicide ruling despite the WDS and the public sentiment that Rebecca did NOT suicide. His irrational stubbornness defies logic.

What's his skin in this case?

To AZlawyer and other lawyers on WS, is there any way to get LE to reopen the criminal investigation?

What do we need to do?

Public and political pressure are the only things that might work. They are under no obligation to reconsider.

It will partially be to check for juror misconduct, whether deliberate or a misunderstanding, for example if someone tells one of the attorneys that he or she remembered something from an article in 2011 and it swayed their decision in any way. But really most of the time post-trial interviews are about learning juror motivation for future knowledge in other cases and, more importantly here, the appeals process.

ETA: Yes if any juror witnessed any misconduct they should have reported it, but it still happens and sometimes it's within one juror's mind that it occurs and they don't even realize it but an attorney can pull it out by questioning them about their reasoning.

Thanks again SB. That info helps. Here’s hoping it doesn’t happen.

I hope the baby countdown to May 7 is going well. All the best to you. :baby:

It would be nice if that happens, but Greer said he assumed all along they would appeal if the jury found in favor of the Zahau family. Jonah has money to burn and JMO, his ego will not allow him to accept defeat. He's a narcissist and doesn't like losing. Even though it's his brother's trial, JS has been running the show from the start. From the first hours after RZ's death, he built and sold the case for suicide and he's not about to let anyone change that ruling. He "owns" that suicide ruling and he's not going to part with it easily. It's a matter of personal and family pride to him. It's what his brother, kids, ex-wife, etc all want - to vilify and demean Rebecca in death. It makes them all feel they're atoning Max's death; I think they all blame RZ, though she had nothing to do with it. You could magically produce a video of Max's accidental death and they would all still blame RZ. Take away the "suicide" ruling and they feel it's an injury to Max's memory.

I have a difficult time trying to fathom how they think. They're a very dysfunctional family that insists on blaming and punishing others when anything goes wrong in their lives.

All JMO

Now that the infamous sale went through, is JS "working"? He doesn't appear to be the go golfing, take my new child to SeaWorld, hobby guy. IMO, if he is not spending egocentric energy in the business world, he might want to go round 2 with this.

I'm in the minority on this one, but I really think the defense was talking tough today about an appeal, and we shall see if it ever comes to fruition. Who's going to pay that cadre of attorneys, starting with Mr. $1,335 Per Hour? No way is Jonah going to. Very doubtful AS will convince someone to work with him pro bono, so he'll have to keep working to pay the piper, which means he'll have to pay the Zahaus at least something. Imo, Jonah will wave buh-bye to Adam, cut his losses on this case, get on with his life, and do whatever he can (which really shouldn't be much at this point) to discourage re-opening the case in the future.

I actually agree with you. I also think JS will want the furor to die down quickly. All the public outcry about reopening the case, imo, scares the crap out of him. I suspect he will try to settle. Since this isn't about the money, I don't think the Sheriff's office will be let off the hook that easily.

Yes the defense is posturing the usual arrogance that has been the case since the Zahaus began voicing their murder beliefs to SDSO. Pure arrogance IMO on their part continues on. I would like to think that not all of these professionals working for the defense agree with that type of negative voicing against the jurors and the family. I know I wouldn't be proud to be associated with them if I were in the same firm.

Webb had plenty of bad things to say about everyone himself, but when Adam got up there and said he was standing tall and these "posers" weren't going to win again -- Dan Webb's head shot up. He looked to me like he was thinking Adam might go completely roque. Obviously, an ugly look by that side, especially stark in comparison to the grace shown by all on the other side.

Thank you! So they are willing to meet with the Zahau family to discuss evidence that came out in the civil trial, that is excellent news! For one thing top notch to the point of being famous pathologist Cyril Wecht found this to be a homicide for starters!

Hopefully they will re-open the case! That is the ultimate goal!
The case won't be reopened on Gore's watch. There is a primary election coming up in California on June 5, 2018. In San Diego County, Gore is seeking reelection against Dave Myers for Sheriff. If Gore is reelected, don't count on any real reopening of a criminal investigation to be done. Dave Myers has stated on record that he will reopen the investigation.

IMHO the reinvestigation needs to be given to a different, unbiased agency.

OMG Tortoise. Thank you!

Random (and mostly shallow) thoughts:

When people show you who they are, believe them. Keep on talking boys.

Thought I was watching a South Park episode.

Mary looks better than her boytoy.

Quite a contrast in brothers.

Sore Losers, too much testosterone and diet pepsi, or both.

Webb’s a high priced guy-what am I missing?

“I wanted to put Mary on the stand if I could think of something for her to testify about”

The shout out to Mary at the end is amazing-thought I was at the Golden Globes.

30 years working the same job in the same place.

Must See TV

Not feeling this is going away.

Now that the infamous sale went through, is JS "working"? He doesn't appear to be the go golfing, take my new child to SeaWorld, hobby guy. IMO, if he is not spending egocentric energy in the business world, he might want to go round 2 with this.

I don't think Adam and Webb would be publicly stating they will appeal if JS hadn't already agreed to it. If it's all bluster, what's the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frankiterranova