Recent Developments

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe it is also here??

http://wm3org.typepad.com/blog/2011/06/arkansas-crime-lab-under-a-microscope-wm3.html

It’s safe to say that the work of Arkansas’s crime lab, and especially that of Dr. Frank Peretti, one of its medical examiners, will be scrutinized at December’s evidentiary hearing for the West Memphis Three. Defense attorneys have already challenged the scientific accuracy of Peretti’s conclusion that a knife caused the injuries to two of the three victims. Prosecutors used Peretti’s testimony to support their contention that the children were murdered as part of a satanic ritual. However, in October 2007, seven forensic pathologists testified that the injuries Peretti attributed to a knife were more likely inflicted by animals—possibly dogs, raccoons or turtles—after the boys were killed and their bodies submerged in a water-filled ditch.

the shoe strings that tied the victims had several knots in them that were tied by the perpetrator - we are now allowed to have those knots untied to test for DNA.

Oh, I didn't see that before. Thanks to CR for posting it, if they find DNA there that will be as close as we can get to a smoking gun in this case, because those knots must have been tied by the murderer or an accomplice. And if they find one person's DNA on all three sets of knots, that WILL be a smoking gun, there is no way to explain one person's DNA on all three sets of shoelaces by innocent transfer.

Oh, I didn't see that before. Thanks to CR for posting it, if they find DNA there that will be as close as we can get to a smoking gun in this case, because those knots must have been tied by the murderer or an accomplice.

Except for an employee of the shoestring-making company (which could be in China, for all I know), who touched the strings during their manufacture, packaging, or the quality-control dance.

Or the Kohl's clerk who grabbed those sneakers out of the box, in order to place them on display, therby leaving her own DNA.

Why on earth would you stop with Terry Hobbs's DNA, when it's virtually EVERYWHERE?

However, if TH's DNA is there, he isn't a shoestring employee or a Kohl's clerk, etc. He was a step father of one of the victims. If unidentified DNA is found, it could be from the people you named. However, the DNA of TH is an entirely different situation. Since he was a step father, it is just another of many bricks in the case against him. By itself it might not convict, but, just like they did with the WM3, a very strong (much stronger than with the WM3) circumstantial case can be built against him with all the "bricks" that might pile up in December. Also, there is a rumor (based on something Damien said to a friend during a visit shortly after the 48 Hours episode aired) that there was a fiber in the pen knife said to belong to SB that was found in TH's drawer. Now, if that fiber is tested and can be matched to the shoestring used to bind MM, I think we have our man.

Except for an employee of the shoestring-making company (which could be in China, for all I know), who touched the strings during their manufacture, packaging, or the quality-control dance.

Or the Kohl's clerk who grabbed those sneakers out of the box, in order to place them on display, therby leaving her own DNA.

Why on earth would you stop with Terry Hobbs's DNA, when it's virtually EVERYWHERE?

That would only apply if it was unidentified DNA. If you find the DNA of a specific individual, and said individual is not a shoe string factory worker, store clerk, etc, then you've found the killer.

Btw, I never mentioned Terry Hobbs in my post.

Here is an article discussing the DNA testing that is now underway:

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/308575

I have also read that the knot in MM's ligature is being untied and the rope beneath is being tested for DNA, as I previously stated. This article is new, but the testing has been underway for some time now. Unfortunately, because of Judge Laser's gag order, I don't believe we will know any results until the December hearing.

(If you follow the evidentiary hearing link in the article, there is an interview with Damien Echols where he alludes to the existence of more evidence than has yet been revealed to the public.)

I just read an interesting bit of information. It's in two parts:

1) The Eikelenblooms (sp.), the the Dutch couple who have pioneered "touch" DNA testing, have set up a lab in Colorado.

2) They are using "touch" DNA testing on material from the WM3 case. I believe it is being done at Bode, but it may be at the Eikelenblooms' lab in CO. I can't seem to find information either way, except rumors.

This could yield very interesting information.

Here's information on "touch" DNA testing in case you are unfamiliar with this very cutting-edge technology:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=experts-touch-dna-jonbenet-ramsey

This type of testing cleared Jon Benet's parents and Timothy Masters.

Because of Judge Laser's gag order, nothing can be revealed about the results of this testing in the WM3 case. We'll just have to wait until December to find out what the testing revealed.

Bode's testing has resulted in yet another report that the DNA (this was from Chris' shoes) conclusively excludes the WM3. The DNA is from two unknown males. My guess is that it's something Chris picked up at school on 5/5/93. I know that lack of DNA doesn't prove innocence, but, if continued testing fails to yield anything with DNA from the WM3, it should at least provide reasonable doubt as to their guilt.

http://wm3org.typepad.com/blog/2011...-case-excludes-echols-baldwin-misskelley.html

I'm glad they are keeping us informed as they go along, I didn't think we would hear any results until December. So still nothing to connect the wm3 to the crime, what a surprise, lol.

Does anyone know if there is a pendant necklace that is in evidence?Is this true or a rumor?

LF,

There is a pendant necklace in evidence (if the WMPD haven't lost it like they did the Bojangles evidence and the paper sheet upon which the boys' clothes were dried). The last I knew about the necklace (which is technically Damien's but Jason often wore it) the amount of blood on it was so small that further testing was impossible. The blood was the same type as Jason's and one of the victims (I forget which one). I'm not sure if testing has advanced sufficiently to further test the blood or not. I did not see the pendant mentioned in the recent testing report.

LF,

There is a pendant necklace in evidence (if the WMPD haven't lost it like they did the Bojangles evidence and the paper sheet upon which the boys' clothes were dried). The last I knew about the necklace (which is technically Damien's but Jason often wore it) the amount of blood on it was so small that further testing was impossible. The blood was the same type as Jason's and one of the victims (I forget which one). I'm not sure if testing has advanced sufficiently to further test the blood or not. I did not see the pendant mentioned in the recent testing report.

Actually, the pendant had 2 spots of blood on it. One spot was the same blood type as Damien and the other spot was the same as Jason and victim Stevie Branch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again, nothing matching any of the WM3.

Something we've been discussing on the Blackboard is the meaning of "unidentified" DNA. It could be that, since the defense is paying for the testing, Bode was instructed to only test against the victims and the WM3. Read the wording of the reports. They say that the WM3 and the victims are excluded as the source of the questionable hairs. They don't exclude others whose DNA is on file with the WMPD. Just food for thought. December will be interesting to say the least!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14