Related Issues and Food for Thought

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I managed to find a couple that were under 14, but neither were solo flights.

It's apparent that he continued to fly helicopters, which was more his interest anyway.

JMO

I've seen nothing to indicate that DM continued his flying past the age of 14 to go on to get a pilots license at or after age 17, which is the minimum required age in Canada. The fact that he took some friends up for a joy ride in his father's helicopter a couple of times in his 20's does not mean that he had a license to do so. Does anyone know if he had one?

TIA

He planned to turn the company’s new hangar into a “fixed base of operations” — a kind of hotel for airplanes offering parking space, fuel services and car rentals.

??? - The new owner/tenant of the hangar will do especially that:

Now the hangar will become the newest location for Toronto-based Chartright, which operates six locations across the country, including Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Regina and Timmins.

The building once owned by Millard Air is the largest hangar at the Waterloo Region International Airport and will now house what's referred to in the aviation industry as a fixed based operation, or FBO.

"For a lack of a better term it's a hotel for airplanes," airport general manager Chris Wood said Thursday. "So when the businessman or businesswoman flies in for the day, the FBO offers services like fuel, hangarage, maintenance, pilot facilities, weather briefings, parking spaces, things like that."

Chartright plans to move its helicopter maintenance repair operations from Toronto into the facility, where the company has outgrown its hangar capacity.

The sale of the lease of the former Millard Air hangar to Chartright brings to an end a nearly two-year search for a new tenant for the building.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitch...akes-over-former-millard-air-hangar-1.3019314

http://www.gifted.uconn.edu/siegle/tag/Digests/e477.html

If your nine-month-old begins speaking in full sentences, you probably will not tell the child to stop and wait till other nine-month-olds catch up. You would not limit such a child to using nouns because that is as much speech as most nine-month-olds can handle. However, in public or private school that may be the approach some educators use.

It is important to realize that they are not purposely setting out to keep your child from learning, although that might be the effect. Many educators have never knowingly dealt with a highly gifted child. They do not recognize them, and they do not know how to handle them. Some educators base teaching methods an developmental norms that are inappropriate for highly gifted children. Although they may be willing to make an effort to accommodate these youngsters, they may lack sufficient information or experience and not know what type of effort to make.

When a child enters school already able to do what the teacher intends to teach, there is seldom a variety of mechanisms for teaching that child something else. Even if there were a way to provide time, attention, and an appropriate curriculum, it would be necessary for the teacher to use different teaching methods. Highly gifted children learn not only faster than others, but also differently. Standard teaching methods take complex subjects and break them into small, simple bits presented one at a time. Highly gifted minds can consume large amounts of information in a single gulp, and they thrive on complexity. Giving these children simple bits of information is like feeding an elephant one blade of grass at a time - he will starve before he even realizes that anyone is trying to feed him.

When forced to work with the methods and pace of a typical school, highly gifted children may look not more capable than their peers, but less capable. Many of their normal characteristics add to this problem. Their handwriting might be very messy because their hands do not keep pace with their quick minds. Many spell poorly because they read for comprehension and do not see the words as collections of separate letters. When they try to "sound out" a word, their logical spelling of an illogical language results in errors. Most have difficulty with rote memorization, a standard learning method in the early grades.

Lack of Fit

The difficulty with highly gifted children in school may be summarized in three words: they don't fit. Almost all American schools organize groups of children by age. As we have seen, the highly gifted child is many ages. The child's intellectual needs might be years ahead of same-age peers, although the gulf may be larger in some subject areas than in others.

Conclusion

Raising a highly gifted child may be ecstasy, agony and everything between. Adults must perform almost impossible feats of balance - supporting a child's gifts without pushing, valuing without overinvesting, championing without taking over. It is costly, physically and emotionally draining, and intellectually demanding. In the first flush of pride, few parents realize that their task is in many ways similar to the task faced by parents of a child with severe handicaps. Our world does not accommodate differences easily, and it matters little whether the difference is perceived to be a deficit or an overabundance.

We have covered only a few issues in this space, but the most important help you can give your highly gifted child or children can be expressed in a single sentence: Give them a safe home, a refuge where they feel love and genuine acceptance, even of their differences. As adults with a safe home in their background, they can put together lives of productivity and fulfillment.

One question canceled. :)

Next question: Why couldn't it be framing to have DM entangled in a spectacular murder case (or even 2 more cases) with the evidence 100% clear: HIS tattoo, HIS Yukon, HIS phone, HIS hangar, HIS dream house land, HIS mother's driveway, HIS trailer, HIS incinerator, HIS barn, HIS friend MS, HIS ex-girlfriend LB, HIS father, ... and so on.
Did "they" perhaps already want Wayne out including his heir and son?

re: bold

That thought has entered my mind a time or two.

JMO

Those who change schools to move into a more advanced programs to prevent boredom usually move TO private schools, not drop out of them just as the final grades start getting more difficult.

He was relegated to getting a high school diploma, at his parents insistence, from an "alternative" high school.

I stand by my original opinion that nothing I've seen so far on this forum indicates that Dellen Millard was a "gifted" individual.

MOO

I usually find that people who can afford it often choose private schools for various reasons - smaller classroom sizes, less restricted curricula, a desire to give their child a specific peer group - not generally to move into more advanced programs. However, the alternative school that DM attended does offer more academic level courses than they do applied level ones.

http://schoolweb.tdsb.on.ca/subwayacademy1/Home.aspx

JMO

I've seen nothing to indicate that DM continued his flying past the age of 14 to go on to get a pilots license at or after age 17, which is the minimum required age in Canada. The fact that he took some friends up for a joy ride in his father's helicopter a couple of times in his 20's does not mean that he had a license to do so. Does anyone know if he had one?

TIA

Regardless of whether he flew with or without a licence, he apparently continued to fly. It wasn't "something that he appeared to stop doing as soon as he set that record", which is what I was responding to in your original post.

A couple years ago, #Millard flew now #missing Laura Babcock from #London to #Toronto to see her boyfriend, bf says.

https://twitter.com/tamaracherry/status/335529073038213121

JMO

??? - The new owner/tenant of the hangar will do especially that:

Now the hangar will become the newest location for Toronto-based Chartright, which operates six locations across the country, including Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Regina and Timmins.

The building once owned by Millard Air is the largest hangar at the Waterloo Region International Airport and will now house what's referred to in the aviation industry as a fixed based operation, or FBO.

"For a lack of a better term it's a hotel for airplanes," airport general manager Chris Wood said Thursday. "So when the businessman or businesswoman flies in for the day, the FBO offers services like fuel, hangarage, maintenance, pilot facilities, weather briefings, parking spaces, things like that."

Chartright plans to move its helicopter maintenance repair operations from Toronto into the facility, where the company has outgrown its hangar capacity.

The sale of the lease of the former Millard Air hangar to Chartright brings to an end a nearly two-year search for a new tenant for the building.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitch...akes-over-former-millard-air-hangar-1.3019314

Exactly.

Those who change schools to move into a more advanced programs to prevent boredom usually move TO private schools, not drop out of them just as the final grades start getting more difficult.

He was relegated to getting a high school diploma, at his parents insistence, from an "alternative" high school.

I stand by my original opinion that nothing I've seen so far on this forum indicates that Dellen Millard was a "gifted" individual.

MOO

Yes, the public school "gifted" program just means more work. Kids finish the regular curriculum in 1/2 or 2/3 of the time their peers do, and then continue to explore topics in more depth (and complete more assignments than their peers) through the remainder of the school year. Send your kids to private school and they'll get an experience akin to a public school gifted program.

Send your kid to correspondence school, and they will complete the bare minimum in terms of depth of learning, classroom interaction and assignments.

http://www.gifted.uconn.edu/siegle/tag/Digests/e477.html

If your nine-month-old begins speaking in full sentences, you probably will not tell the child to stop and wait till other nine-month-olds catch up. You would not limit such a child to using nouns because that is as much speech as most nine-month-olds can handle. However, in public or private school that may be the approach some educators use.

It is important to realize that they are not purposely setting out to keep your child from learning, although that might be the effect. Many educators have never knowingly dealt with a highly gifted child. They do not recognize them, and they do not know how to handle them. Some educators base teaching methods an developmental norms that are inappropriate for highly gifted children. Although they may be willing to make an effort to accommodate these youngsters, they may lack sufficient information or experience and not know what type of effort to make.

When a child enters school already able to do what the teacher intends to teach, there is seldom a variety of mechanisms for teaching that child something else. Even if there were a way to provide time, attention, and an appropriate curriculum, it would be necessary for the teacher to use different teaching methods. Highly gifted children learn not only faster than others, but also differently. Standard teaching methods take complex subjects and break them into small, simple bits presented one at a time. Highly gifted minds can consume large amounts of information in a single gulp, and they thrive on complexity. Giving these children simple bits of information is like feeding an elephant one blade of grass at a time - he will starve before he even realizes that anyone is trying to feed him.

When forced to work with the methods and pace of a typical school, highly gifted children may look not more capable than their peers, but less capable. Many of their normal characteristics add to this problem. Their handwriting might be very messy because their hands do not keep pace with their quick minds. Many spell poorly because they read for comprehension and do not see the words as collections of separate letters. When they try to "sound out" a word, their logical spelling of an illogical language results in errors. Most have difficulty with rote memorization, a standard learning method in the early grades.

Lack of Fit

The difficulty with highly gifted children in school may be summarized in three words: they don't fit. Almost all American schools organize groups of children by age. As we have seen, the highly gifted child is many ages. The child's intellectual needs might be years ahead of same-age peers, although the gulf may be larger in some subject areas than in others.

Conclusion

Raising a highly gifted child may be ecstasy, agony and everything between. Adults must perform almost impossible feats of balance - supporting a child's gifts without pushing, valuing without overinvesting, championing without taking over. It is costly, physically and emotionally draining, and intellectually demanding. In the first flush of pride, few parents realize that their task is in many ways similar to the task faced by parents of a child with severe handicaps. Our world does not accommodate differences easily, and it matters little whether the difference is perceived to be a deficit or an overabundance.

We have covered only a few issues in this space, but the most important help you can give your highly gifted child or children can be expressed in a single sentence: Give them a safe home, a refuge where they feel love and genuine acceptance, even of their differences. As adults with a safe home in their background, they can put together lives of productivity and fulfillment.

:tyou:

The courses offered at Subway Academy Two are: English, Mathematics, History,
Philosophy, Anthropology, Psychology and Sociology, Law, World Religions, Parenting, Food
and Nutrition, Interdisciplinary Studies: Culture Studies in the Arts, and Individuals and
Families in a Diverse Society.
Courses not available at the school may be taken through correspondence, or at night
school, summer school, or virtual school.

http://www.tdsb.on.ca/profiles/5846.pdf

Regardless of whether he flew with or without a licence, he apparently continued to fly. It wasn't "something that he appeared to stop doing as soon as he set that record", which is what I was responding to in your original post.

https://twitter.com/tamaracherry/status/335529073038213121

JMO

Well if he flew without a license, that's just another example of him believing he was above reproach with regard to illegal activity. Just like smuggling a stray dog over two borders without proper customs protocol and quarantine. Or possibly supplying drugs at his epic parties. Or allegedly purchasing a handgun. Or allegedly murdering three people.

MOO

CityNews Toronto ‏@CityNews 4 Std.Vor 4 Stunden
Canadians blessed to live in best country, says Harper in #CanadaDay message http://ow.ly/P2D73

Well if he flew without a license, that's just another example of him believing he was above reproach with regard to illegal activity. Just like smuggling a stray dog over two borders without proper customs protocol and quarantine. Or possibly supplying drugs at his epic parties. Or allegedly purchasing a handgun. Or allegedly murdering three people.

MOO

I would never just assume he did fly without a licence. Just as I don't assume he sold drugs at these "epic" parties. Importing a dog falls under the CFIA regulations, not criminal laws. Sorry, I'm just not seeing how assumptions, that may or may not be true, go towards showing someone's belief of being above reproach.

JMO

Yes, it could depend on which courses he was missing for his diploma. See post #920.

Yes, it could depend on which courses he was missing for his diploma. See post #920.

He needed prep school to go to university, he needed university to have a professional career with an outfit like Air Canada.

Despite however many years he spent at TFS, his resume would correctly say that he graduated from Subway Academy, blowing away the prestige factor of claiming TFS as alma mater.

He basically blew off his parents plans for him in a big way.

Dropping out of TFS, avoiding university, the red mohawk, the tattoos all go towards making DM very undesirable for employers. I think his parents expected that he would work. When he became repellent to every employer, they made a job for him.

I would never just assume he did fly without a licence. Just as I don't assume he sold drugs at these "epic" parties. Importing a dog falls under the CFIA regulations, not criminal laws. Sorry, I'm just not seeing how assumptions, that may or may not be true, go towards showing someone's belief of being above reproach.

JMO

Which is why we are here sleuthing.

I've seen no evidence that DM possessed a pilot's license for either helicopters or fixed wing aircraft and yet we've seen some evidence that he has flown since his recorded flights at 14.

I'm trying not to assume. I'm trying to figure out if he actually completed lessons to get a pilot's license. So far DM hasn't really completed anything from what we've sleuthed and I was wondering if this was just another wrong assumption, that he was legally flying an aircraft after age 14.

The CFIA is a federal agency and people can be criminally prosecuted for deliberately ignoring the strict border guidelines AFAIK. And he did it at two different borders for two different countries. A stray dog...from Mexico. No regard whatsoever for the reasons why we have border laws and regulations IMO.

MOO

Which is why we are here sleuthing.

I've seen no evidence that DM possessed a pilot's license for either helicopters or fixed wing aircraft and yet we've seen some evidence that he has flown since his recorded flights at 14.

I'm trying not to assume. I'm trying to figure out if he actually completed lessons to get a pilot's license. So far DM hasn't really completed anything from what we've sleuthed and I was wondering if this was just another wrong assumption, that he was legally flying an aircraft after age 14.

The CFIA is a federal agency and people can be criminally prosecuted for deliberately ignoring the strict border guidelines AFAIK. And he did it at two different borders for two different countries. A stray dog...from Mexico. No regard whatsoever for the reasons why we have border laws and regulations IMO.

MOO

AFAIK you only need a rabies certificate to get a puppy from Mexico into Canada and if you don't have one you can show it at a later date. http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals...als/pets/dogs/eng/1331876172009/1331876307796

Just noticed that they cancelled the certificate of registration for the remaining aircraft that MA held, Apr 16, June 9 & 25. http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur...n=|MILLARD|&tn=||&ln=||&fn=||&rfr2=RchHs.aspx

They really liquidated everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member