Rescue at sea for sick baby

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Originally Posted by Linda7NJ View Post
I can.
I'm not known for my restraint

from MeanMaryJean

Thinking of having this tattoo'd on me somewhere.....

Being a sissy I would opt for a temporary ink with that on the forehead....just to test reactions for a week or so

Actually, I spotted two of her brothers commenting by the time I looked at it. Interesting. Even if I were to disagree with a family member's decision that turned disastrous, I can't imagine commenting publicly about it. That's just me, I guess.

You should have seen the look on my nieces face when she and her fiancée at the moment, were talking about the bike ride they took and she couldn't understand why she could not beat him to the top of the hill. As she sat there weighting about 160 lbs at 5'3" and her fiancée weighted about 145, I looked at her and said, "maybe if you dropped about 30 lbs you could beat him to the top." This was over 25 years ago, she is running marathons today.

If she was my sister I would have voiced my opinion about this crazy adventure with helpless children involved. jmo idk

You should have seen the look on my nieces face when she and her fiancée at the moment, were talking about the bike ride they took and she couldn't understand why she could not beat him to the top of the hill. As she sat there weighting about 160 lbs at 5'3" and her fiancée weighted about 145, I looked at her and said, "maybe if you dropped about 30 lbs you could beat him to the top." This was over 25 years ago, she is running marathons today.

If she was my sister I would have voiced my opinion about this crazy adventure with helpless children involved. jmo idk

I would too...ahead of time, privately. I just meant that I wouldn't comment publicly after the disaster, except to say that I'm glad they are safe. What's the point?

Of course, in this case, the family is very divided over Charlotte and her sister publicly accusing their father of sexual abuse recently. With that in mind, their public comments are understandable, but I still question their wisdom. Charlotte and Eric have already gotten defensive, so family piling on publicly doesn't seem to me very helpful in getting them to make changes. JMO

On their FB page they are posting articles supporting their point of view. It doesn't look like they are open to other points of view at this time.

https://www.facebook.com/svrebelheart

Personally, I think cruising with kids is fine, when they are old enough to handle themselves and not have fragile immune systems. What people are upset about is that Charlotte wasn't a competent sailor, and they didn't put in plenty of time sailing closer to shore before embarking on this voyage. Even sensible people in the cruising community are saying that. But I don't think the Kaufman's are listening to anyone but the extremists who are spinning reasonable concerns as an attack on a "lifestyle" rather than a safety issue. It's too bad they can't find a middle ground.

Lilibet, anyone see where the doctor cleared the children/family for travel? I only see where they were treated and given prescriptions, never a follow up visit.

It is very curious to me that the person creating the online fundraiser left it open after posting the family's wishes not to receive donations, and people are still donating!

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

Lilibet, anyone see where the doctor cleared the children/family for travel? I only see where they were treated and given prescriptions, never a follow up visit.

I don't recall where I read that. If it wasn't in her blog, it might have been in a MSM report or even a comment by a friend. I will look.

ETA: Here is her blog post on March 11, showing prescriptions on March 9 for meds. They left March 20. That's not long to recover from a long-term infection. I haven't found yet where they were cleared for travel.

http://rebelheart.squarespace.com/charlottes-blog/2014/3/11/not-gone-yet-almost.html

I don't recall where I read that. If it wasn't in her blog, it might have been in a MSM report or even a comment by a friend. I will look.

I have seen it said by sister, and in MSM as an assumption-but have not seen it in their blog, or directly quoted, ykwim?

Authorities have declined to identify the girl's illness, citing privacy laws. Before the family left for the trip, Lyra had salmonella poisoning, but doctors cleared her to travel after she was healthy again, Charlotte Kaufman's sister, Sariah Kay English, said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/1-year-old-rescued-at-sea-recovering-well-aunt-says/

Before the family left for the trip, Lyra had salmonella poisoning, but doctors cleared her to travel after she was healthy again, said Charlotte Kaufman's sister, Sariah Kay English.

When her sister first mentioned plans to sail with two young children, English recalled, "I thought it was nuts."

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Family-rescued-by-Bay-Area-team-safely-aboard-5380808.php

Authorities have declined to identify the girl's illness, citing privacy laws. Before the family left for the trip, Lyra had salmonella poisoning, but doctors cleared her to travel after she was healthy again, Charlotte Kaufman's sister, Sariah Kay English, said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/1-year-old-rescued-at-sea-recovering-well-aunt-says/

Before the family left for the trip, Lyra had salmonella poisoning, but doctors cleared her to travel after she was healthy again, said Charlotte Kaufman's sister, Sariah Kay English.

When her sister first mentioned plans to sail with two young children, English recalled, "I thought it was nuts."

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Family-rescued-by-Bay-Area-team-safely-aboard-5380808.php

Thank you- nothing on the blog....just what she said in interviews

I would too...ahead of time, privately. I just meant that I wouldn't comment publicly after the disaster, except to say that I'm glad they are safe. What's the point?

Of course, in this case, the family is very divided over Charlotte and her sister publicly accusing their father of sexual abuse recently. With that in mind, their public comments are understandable, but I still question their wisdom. Charlotte and Eric have already gotten defensive, so family piling on publicly doesn't seem to me very helpful in getting them to make changes. JMO

I wouldn't either. But the brother was publicly attacked as "unsupportive" and confrontational, in the article to which he commented.

A newspaper reported that Charlotte's sister reported that Charlotte said that the doctor said that the little one was cleared for travel. How's that for proof!!

Well maybe CPS will be very helpful in getting them to make changes. One can hope.

I so want to know what the the little ones illness is, I am thinking on the line of not so clean conditions for starters.

Wow, interesting given how this trip turned out for him.

I can understand how some people are sticking up for sailing with families and pointing out the courage to set out on this adventure but never having done it before maybe Erik should have tried it out himself first. There had to be another person who was experienced and knowledgeable themselves in all that is required to sail across the Pacific in all types of weather that would have made the trip with him. Right now there is a cyclone in Australia. Was he trained to deal with that? Was he prepared to deal with the stress of trying to watch two small children while one adult slept? There is always that fear in a home that a child will get up before you and get hurt on something you did not anticipate. Imagine that fear magnified while you are surrounded with water and high swells.

No young child should be any more than a day away from emergency medical care. Even a day's wait is sometimes too long. jmo

I so want to know what the the little ones illness is, I am thinking on the line of not so clean conditions for starters.

I agree, although this could also happen on land. According to her doctor visit post, Charlotte was anemic and had a chronic kind of salmonella, Cora had something called Proteus (which is a bacteria that seems to cause urinary tract infections) and an upper respiratory infection (she was also tested for Dengue (which is quite serious) due to her symptoms and results were never mentioned. Charlotte was on an antibiotic for salmonella. Lyra had bronchitis and an upper respiratory infection and was on three kinds of antibiotics and steroids! Cora was also on three antibiotics. These kids really didn't have enough time to recover fully before going on on the ocean.

http://rebelheart.squarespace.com/charlottes-blog/2014/3/11/not-gone-yet-almost.html

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/226434-overview

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/dengue-fever-reference

You know, I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, but they are really rubbing me the wrong way with these passive aggressive posts to fb and other social media ... while saying it's too complicated to explain fully right now whilst enduring their "15 minutes". Hope they get a better PR advisor who gets them to cut the douchebag factor!

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chernobyl_Werewolf
Back