Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 11/3/14 Hearing

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, sitting here reading, thinking, and wondering, I understand that if this trial is not finished, this is the end of the line. Their CANNOT be a retrial or be overturned by another court. I thought if a jury does not come to a decision on death, then its automatic LWOP... So all these games the DT is playing, it will be for naught, cause its suppose to one or the other. Please explain to me if this is not the case.
The jury has to reach a unanimous decision on death, yes. If they can't, the judge can sentence Jodi to either LWOP or LWP, at her discretion. IIRC, the mandatory minimum is 25 years?

Slightly O/T, there's a lot of debate over here about life imprisonment. The EU ruled an indeterminate sentence breaches human rights. Very few are sentenced to full on life and some murder convictions even result in release in less than 10 years. Child perpetrators are routinely given new identities when released as adults. It makes me yearn for the American justice system I knew for so long - for all its flaws. Jodi is one convict I believe should never, ever see the light of day. She will remain extremely dangerous to everyone around her. She murdered a healthy, relatively fit adult male - imagine her with a more vulnerable victim! The elderly, disabled, or even children. It's a terrifying thought.

When Katiecoollady returns, she will find out she hasn't missed a thing. Judge still letting Nurmi control court hours.

the jury has to reach a unanimous decision on death, yes. If they can't, the judge can sentence jodi to either lwop or lwp, at her discretion. Iirc, the mandatory minimum is 25 years?

Slightly o/t, there's a lot of debate over here about life imprisonment. The eu ruled an indeterminate sentence breaches human rights. Very few are sentenced to full on life and some murder convictions even result in release in less than 10 years. Child perpetrators are routinely given new identities when released as adults. It makes me yearn for the american justice system i knew for so long - for all its flaws. Jodi is one convict i believe should never, ever see the light of day. She will remain extremely dangerous to everyone around her. She murdered a healthy, relatively fit adult male - imagine her with a more vulnerable victim! The elderly, disabled, or even children. It's a terrifying thought.

chilling!

Is Nurmi basically forcing a mistrial? His argument about social media makes no sense. Other trials are covered by the media. Is he trying to get this over with, so he can go on with his practice,without recrimination as in he gave it all he could, but it was out of his hands? It seems to me he is throwing the trial and going for JSS to make the decision. He wants his hands clean of all of this IMO.

Am I making sense? Lol.

And if HLN left town, there's even fewer 'haters' reporting this time around. Not a good argument imo.

But we're not talking about the right to live stream. We've moved past that. The judge was not within her rights to lock out the media and the public because the witnesses black mailed her. That's another issue entirely. Even the COA did not agree with her.

Oh she can block out the public too. She just can't block out the press. That's the one thing she should have known she couldn't get away with doing.

The public does have a right to public trials unless very drastic circumstances call for it. Twitter bullies is just not a good enough reason.

As I've said, maintaining the secrecy of the witnesses is one way to continue to protect them. But there is absolutely no reason their testimony should be secret. None. This country does not hold trials in secret. There are reason for that.

Yep.

If we refuse to have "closed trials" or provide protection of witnesses who testify in public against Terrorists, I'll be damned if I will accept shutting down a trial for likes of JA.

Preposterous and insulting to even suggest she has warranted special protections of any kind; these are sacred and rare protections that historically are reserved for those involved in matters of National Security.

I bet TA would be sad about the destruction of his family. And furious as well.

Saying TA's family is choosing to be tormented is like saying cancer patients are responsible for being ill because they're not thinking positive enough thoughts.

They can't move on until this trial is over, and the years long delays are NOT their fault.

Who's saying that? Not me if you're trying to imply I am. I said I feel sad that this killer has ruined the Alexander family, caused a marriage to destruct (and almost another one too) and she shouldn't have the power to destroy an entire family. Do you disagree?

How many times has KN asked to be taken off this case? How many times has JA requested he be dismissed as her atty.? Why was this never granted? In the question of appeals, seems to me a defendant facing the DP should be able to fire an atty. they have no confidence in. For whatever nefarious reasons that JA wanted KN gone, it should have been granted.

IIRC, JA had fired one or more attorneys previously. Plus the 2 (?) times she has represented herself. I don't believe a defendant with a public defender has unlimited choices about representation. In addition, IRC, a while back she wrote to the court asking for KN not to be taken off her case when it seemed likely he would be. All this to-do from JA about representation could be seen as just one more manipulation.

The jury has to reach a unanimous decision on death, yes. If they can't, the judge can sentence Jodi to either LWOP or LWP, at her discretion. IIRC, the mandatory minimum is 25 years?

Slightly O/T, there's a lot of debate over here about life imprisonment. The EU ruled an indeterminate sentence breaches human rights. Very few are sentenced to full on life and some murder convictions even result in release in less than 10 years. Child perpetrators are routinely given new identities when released as adults. It makes me yearn for the American justice system I knew for so long - for all its flaws. Jodi is one convict I believe should never, ever see the light of day. She will remain extremely dangerous to everyone around her. She murdered a healthy, relatively fit adult male - imagine her with a more vulnerable victim! The elderly, disabled, or even children. It's a terrifying thought.

Ok, I get the unanimous decision on death, but what i am trying to understand is if there is a miss trial during the sentencing trial, will there have to be another sentencing trial, or does the judge make the call or sentence the defendant. Sorry if this has been explained already, I am trying to understand the process

All this secret stuff the defense has tried so hard to hide will come out eventually. It might not be tomorrow or this week or next week (or maybe it will). But certainly, eventually, the public will find out the details.

To me this is not one of those times you say that. Now that he can not have his super secret witness he gets time to regroup. I don't have an issue with that. Now if by monday there is still no plan and activity, then yes..

I actually think that it not being televised this time is creating more shenanigans than before.

Try Wednesday (not Monday). The judge gave the defense all the way till next Wednesday for some reason.

I think if there's another mistrial the state will just drop the DP for the good of the taxpayers and family, who really need to get on with their lives. Surely they wouldn't push for the DP and yet another trial? Regardless, I think it's up to the state, if they still want DP everyone goes again. I THINK!

When Katiecoollady returns, she will find out she hasn't missed a thing. Judge still letting Nurmi control court hours.

How true - there will have been no witnesses testify during her absence, other than a piece of a day for the person behind the curtain.

All this secret stuff the defense has tried so hard to hide will come out eventually. It might not be tomorrow or this week or next week (or maybe it will). But certainly, eventually, the public will find out the details.

Right. Which makes his damn argument so ludicrous.

Ok, I get the unanimous decision on death, but what i am trying to understand is if there is a miss trial during the sentencing trial, will there have to be another sentencing trial, or does the judge make the call or sentence the defendant. Sorry if this has been explained already, I am trying to understand the process

My understanding is if this phase gets a mistrial, then it goes to the judge to decide what type of life sentence. She cannot give her DP. But she gets the decision on which life sentence. It should not get retried.

my understanding of what I recall being said.

So Nurmi really must be short on witnesses IMO.

I don't think anyone is going to come forward for her. I don't envy him trying to find some. If he gets a little extra time to search for just one that doesn't bother me. What I don't get is why her parents won't get up for her. What kind of parents are these people?! Or maybe they are using that to get people to feel bad for her..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne