Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 12/04 In recess Computer Exp Hearing

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking this too. Maybe she is not well, but not sick enough to recuse herself. Something seems definitely off and I hope she is ok. Stress can reek havoc on the healthy mind and body. This trial has got to be over the top stressful for her. IMO

I could maybe buy that if her odd behavior had just started lately but really JSS has been like no other Judge I have ever seen....starting from day one. I wish I did have some sympathy for her but I truly blame her for a lot of the craziness and sooooo much wasted time that has gone on from the beginning.

Do they do peer reviews on Judges? If so, JSS would get a dressing down by the way she has conducted this trial throughout. Imo, she is the main reason this case has cost the taxpayers so much money and there never seems to be an end in sight.

Even talking head lawyers don't understand what she is doing..........such as the sidebars even when the jury isn't present. Always letting them approach 99% of the time. That is why when she occasionally says 'no' when asked can they approach it shocks us to the core because it is so unlike the JSS that we have seen. This case cant be normal procedures to hold much of this case in total darkness and secrecy. Even the media is dumfounded by all the secrecy that has gone on from moment one. And what other Judge that you have ever seen has this many in-chamber meetings? I cant think of one Judge who has conducted their courtroom like she has throughout.

Look how she has let BN get away with not bringing what she told him to bring. He has no respect for her or what she says and keeps stalling and she lets him. He knew what Juan wanted when he came there today and I have never seen an expert just thumb their nose at the court and has the arrogant attitude they will get around to it whenever it suits them.:mad:

How she thought it was wise to let JA testify behind closed doors shutting the taxpayers out and the media I still don't understand her logic. I seriously doubt she has ever seen one case where a Judge let a defendant do as they wish by setting up the ground rules that they would only testify if the doors were closed to everyone but the jury. If she thought that was the logical and ethical thing to do then it shows just how flawed her thought processes are. Now because she made such a ridiculous ruling she has been rebuked by the COA.

Instead of taking full control of her courtroom like other Judges she lets the DT lead her by the nose. So much so, that now she has a critical ruling against her by the COA three Judge panel. I thought after she erred greatly in that ruling she would be more assertive but nope, it still hasn't happened.

She lets the crazy defense so called experts call the state prosecutor demeaning names and saying such disrespectful things to him. When she does not come down hard on the witnesses who acts like nothing more than arrogant disrespectful bullies she is sending a subliminal message that it is ok with her if Juan is disrespected. This may make the jury think poorly of Juan who is the only one doing his job professionally trying to seek justice for the victim. The jury does pick up vibes from the Judge by her rulings and demeanor toward each side. She has not been even handed inside the courtroom and I really cant see her being fair to Juan even in a closed door meeting or sidebar.

Juan has been one lone soldier having to fight everyone in the courtroom from JA, the DT and all of their underhandedness, witnesses and JSS. That is shameful. Both sides deserve to have a fair trial but Juan has fought an uphill battle from the get go.

I saw a photo of Juan that was tweeted the last day MF testified and I have never seen Juan's jaws clenched so tight. Whatever caused it he was furious. This look was very different than I had ever seen of him. Juan himself........is about to explode from all the continuous drama and torturous mind games played by the defense in this case. I am worried about him and his health.......he looks extremely tired and stressed. He has constantly had to do battle with KN who has accused Juan of prosecutorial misconduct every time the wind blows.

It really is unbelievable that a Judge will let people get away with what has been done by the DT and their witnesses. She sets no boundaries and its a free for all knock down drag out in her courtroom. Not once has she said to the wacky DT or to the DT witnesses if they don't stop their bully rude behavior she will find them in contempt of court. While I fault Judge Perry for allowing some of the things he did to come in that other infamous trial he wouldn't have put up with this constant petty BS for a nano second and neither would 99.99% of the Judges in our nation.

She has absolutely been even worse in this second phase. I truly didn't think that would be possible. She acts more like a Den Mother for the DT and anything they do or their witnesses do... no matter how unprofessional or crude the behavior is .........she says nothing.....nada.......zip.

In my state I have seen death penalty cases, (both phases) take less than a week to put on and that is including the CIC from both sides. If it is high profile it may take three weeks like Lynn Turner's case who received the death penalty. Even the Georgia mass murderer of 8, Guy Heinz Jr's case didn't take long at trial. It may have been 2-3 weeks....if that long.

IMO, there is no other case like this in history where it takes this long to have a sentencing phase.

If they have multiple witnesses I don't think I will be able to last until the end of this case. I am so tired of feeling the evilness that has permeated every inch of that courtroom for so long now. Something is very wrong and sinister with the justice system in this particular case. Something is off and it just doesn't feel like justice. Its become like the Jerry Springer show with JSS at the helm of all the strange madness.

So while Travis did receive justice is the quilt phase he has been robbed of true justice and fairness in this sentencing retrial. Its beyond sickening, vile, and disgusting by what has been allowed to happen in that courtroom. I feel like I am keeping up with a case where the defense witnesses, defendant, and DT are working their evil all in tandem.. ganging up against one defenseless man who was silenced forever by the one that now tries to punish him and his family even more.:(

I thought the whole reason this went into second period was because JA refused the offer of LWOP?

That is my understanding as well. So, I am sure the State considered the family in their decision. I just disagree with the decision because I do not believe that the results produce the best outcome for the victims, or all of humanity for that matter. But dang if this case doesn't challenge my convictions.

ETA: I don't think Beth is doing any such thing, though. She's one if the few level headed, sound people covering this trial. She's just going on the facts and being honest. There's nothing wrong with that. We can't just write people off every time they say something we don't like.

I agree. Whenever defense witnesses are up we all get upset by the things they say but for us to have an accurate account at the end of the day the reporter has to convey their message. Until Juan brings his expert in to turn things around, that's where we are.

She was talking about the viruses though and talked as if you could only get them from *advertiser censored* (which I'm sure BN implied) so her whole thought process could change when we shift to the other side.

Nothing really relevant imo, other than she didn't kill his dad after she broke up with him.... whether he was witness to any arguments who knows, didn't the mom come and get her son moved out of there sometime during JA and DB's relationship?

DB also testified that JA was never alone with his son for longer than a few moments IIRC. She didn't take him places or act as a surrogate Mom while he was there.

I thought the whole reason this went into second period was because JA refused the offer of LWOP?

This second penalty phase occurred because the jury was hung the first time, last year.

The prosecution decided, after conferring with Travis' family to do this second penalty phase.

If the jury hangs again, it's up to the judge to sentence her to LWOP or life with the possibility of release after 25 years.

JM is being accused of prosecutorial misconduct. He's attempting to defend himself. But, oh no! He was too rough on the witness who called him a liar. He should just accept that he or his staff made a mistake and move on. Stop trying to be a voice for Travis. Let JA and her enablers say any vile lie about him they wish. Ignore the victims....Travis' family! Meekly sit back and stop making waves. Might cause an appeal to happen!! He got the murder conviction....so just stop! Reasonable? Not to me...

I agree. Whenever defense witnesses are up we all get upset by the things they say but for us to have an accurate account at the end of the day the reporter has to convey their message. Until Juan brings his expert in to turn things around, that's where we are.

She was talking about the viruses though and talked as if you could only get them from *advertiser censored* (which I'm sure BN implied) so her whole thought process could change when we shift to the other side

BBM: Good point there. Again, she just may not understand enough about computers and is just trusting the expert more than the lawyer. That isn't true about *advertiser censored* viruses. We got a nasty one once when my mom tried to download a bunch of screen savers. That was the worst virus ever. It turned the screen red, it would blare voices through the speakers all by itself, it would just start opening files. And yes, *advertiser censored* everywhere. It was terrible, lol. Most people know by now that, while *advertiser censored* is the most common way, it's not the only way you can get a *advertiser censored* virus.

I am now thoroughly sure I don't know what's going on. I don't know what Juan is saying, I don't know what BN actually looked at, I don't know what Juan is looking at now. I thought I understood what Juan wanted and now I don't.

Also, BN said...so why were all the files created in 2009 in re: to the copy that was provided Dworkin. Wilmott said, good point, we'll come back to that. And then they never did. Was it not really that important? Is it just because Lonnie received a copy that was made in 2009 of the original 2008 image and she knows that? This is so frustrating. I don't like it anymore.

I went back to read Beth's notes to clarify some of this, b/c some of the tweets were confusing. BN said he made a compressed & encrypted copy on his first visit and made a working copy of that, which he turned over to Juan. Was vague on what he used to do it, or who the person was that encrypted it. On his 2nd visit, he made a raw clone, which he used as his work copy so what he has is what remained after all the viruses were removed. Juan wants the actual image copy that was made on the first visit without encryption and not these work copies. BN says the 2nd copy w/o the viruses still has what Juan needs to see, but can't seem to understand why Juan won't settle for that. Says if Dworkin's file had the viruses removed it would equal this work copy. He also said that he and Dworkin went over Dworkin's file together last weekend and they did find the *advertiser censored* websites on it.

I read those tweets where he supposedly said all the files were created in 2009 too, but per Beth, what he said was if the image copy Dworkin examined was made in July 2008, then why are there 2009 files on it?

Also, this is to one of AZlawyer's questions. Juan did say he was not challenging content today, he would do that in court. Today he was trying to bring the subject back around to the allegations made of tampering, etc. and wants the evidence the defense used to bring those charges.

I went back to read Beth's notes to clarify some of this, b/c some of the tweets were confusing. BN said he made a compressed & encrypted copy on his first visit and made a working copy of that, which he turned over to Juan. Was vague on what he used to do it, or who the person was that encrypted it. On his 2nd visit, he made a raw clone, which he used as his work copy so what he has is what remained after all the viruses were removed. Juan wants the actual image copy that was made on the first visit without encryption and not these work copies. BN says the 2nd copy w/o the viruses still has what Juan needs to see, but can't seem to understand why Juan won't settle for that. Says if Dworkin's file had the viruses removed it would equal this work copy. He also said that he and Dworkin went over Dworkin's file together last weekend and they did find the *advertiser censored* websites on it.

I read those tweets where he supposedly said all the files were created in 2009 too, but per Beth, what he said was if the image copy Dworkin examined was made in July 2008, then why are there 2009 files on it?

Also, this is to one of AZlawyer's questions. Juan did say he was not challenging content today, he would do that in court. Today he was trying to bring the subject back around to the allegations made of tampering, etc. and wants the evidence the defense used to bring those charges.

So if Dworkin did find *advertiser censored* on his initial copy, then it's there, it was just wasn't found. Okay, that's good. BN can't say they were given a tainted copy anymore. I'd also be curious about the nature of the *advertiser censored* found. Was it also all scrubbed up, or was it out in the open? Sounds like Dworkin and Melendez both just didn't look in the right places.

I've always been the type of person that was not so impressed by the famous or super rich. Actors are people I don't respect if after getting famous they suddenly know all about everything. After all, they are getting paid vast amounts of money to pretend. I do not like or respect this Bryan person because he is so full of himself and his website reflects it. I don't give a flip how many 'regional' Emmy's he has won - the guy is a nut.

After a day of court or hearings, I swear I will not follow another minute of this travesty. Then I cave and follow it. I've never seen anything like it in my 64 years! I angry as h3ll at the judge for allowing Travis to be put on trial and letting his name be dragged through the mud every minute of every court session. I'm angry at the DT for their sleaze and wanting to persecute an innocent, murdered man and his family. I honestly mean it when I say I hope Nurmi and Willmott have lousy careers after this trial.

Maybe other judges do not like to criticize their peers, but doesn't even one of them care enough about JSS to talk with her as a friend and fellow judge? Maybe gently let her know that in the court of public opinion (pun intended) people are getting angry at her for not controlling her courtroom and letting so called professional witnesses insult the prosecutor? There are no rules in her courtroom? Does she not know how much this FUBAR is costing the hardworking tax payers of Arizona? I care, and I don't even live there.

Today went beyond the pale and I'm sick of all of it. There sits CMJA acting as if she deserves a 2.5 million (and counting) trial. Justice in most cases does not cost that much. She has been found guilty of premeditated first degree murder with aggravating circumstances and she gets to sit there and act like a lawyer herself? I'm disgusted with all of it. I would not even want to breathe the same recycled air this vile monster breathes!

I'm sorry. I had to vent. When Nurmi and Willmott are much older and maybe wiser, I hope this trial and CMJA literally haunts them. I hope JSS has a time of reflection whereby she wonders how she ever let this circus happen in the first place. She needs to go back to presiding over juvenile court where everything really IS a secret (and rightfully so).

I'm done, I promise!

:moo:

So, Beth thinks Juan was badgering the witness and the witness calling Juan a liar is understandable? Because Juan doesn't know what the heck he's talking about and the guy with the eye reflection does?? Oh, and the dreaded appeal!! Like I said before.....so glad I trusted my instinct about BK. Are she and monica friends?

Wouldn't surprise me if Juan doesn't know a whole lot more about computers than BN.

She isn't wearing any lipstick in that fanning picture. I wonder if she isn't sick but came in to work anyway because the trial is already dragging on endlessly. Might also explain the 2 hour lunch they took almost immediately after court started. Who knows :)

Maybe her blood pressure is out of control. I don't mean that in a mean way. I used to think that JSS used a lot of blush on her cheeks, forehead, and chin. Now I wonder if it isn't blush because my face gets red in those same areas when my blood pressure goes way up. I also get white around the mouth. Your opinion, kaRN?

I've followed Beth Karas since the early days of Court TV. She is the one person I always take seriously. She doesn't go hyper like some other legal TH's we know. She always has a calm demeanor, observes what's happening in the courtroom and gives her opinion based on her knowledge of the law.

There are a lot of times when I don't like what she has to say, but I respect where she's coming from. I read her blog today and just watched her wrap-up of the day. Her opinions about Neumeister came from her experience and what she observed. I honestly don't know if she is right or wrong about him. We'll have to wait and see.

But, there is one thing I know, she will tell us if she was wrong. And she'll do it calmly and without a big hullabaloo. I've seen her do it so many times before.

One thing I do know, she's never given me a headache like a couple of other ladies and gentlemen have!

Jodi was never offered LWOP. She tried to get the Prosecutor's Office to give her 2nd degree murder, and when they wouldn't deal, she said she'd drag Travis's name through the mud. She's made good on that promise.
The first jury hung on the Death Penalty or LWOP.

Great post, oceanblueyes! I'm just now reading it!

ETA: I had not read yours when I posted mine - honest!

I don't know, I don't subscribe to her. I guess my problem with the mishandling of evidence allegation is that it was the defense who requested to view the evidence. If they had said no, GP basically said he'd have gotten a court order. It would not have gone over. I can't see how that is truly the state's fault, but maybe it is.

Maybe she buys into the idea that a user initiated click downloaded QuickTime onto the computer on the day the computer was picked up or that. But it sounds like Juan has an expert who will say it might have been something else. We really need to hear what his expert has to say.

Beth also seemed affronted that JM closed BN's computer to put it in sleep mode. Don't know what that's about.

So if Dworkin did find *advertiser censored* on his initial copy, then it's there, it was just wasn't found. Okay, that's good. BN can't say they were given a tainted copy anymore. I'd also be curious about the nature of the *advertiser censored* found. Was it also all scrubbed up, or was it out in the open? Sounds like Dworkin and Melendez both just didn't look in the right places.
Yes, but even BN said it was "impossible" for it not be found.

Was all the *advertiser censored* cleaned off with 22 anti-virus programs?

So confusing. Wish they would stream this part of the trial since Jodi is not there.

I find it very telling that juror won't say much about JA being the secret witness....

I've followed Beth Karas since the early days of Court TV. She is the one person I always take seriously. She doesn't go hyper like some other legal TH's we know. She always has a calm demeanor, observes what's happening in the courtroom and gives her opinion based on her knowledge of the law.

There are a lot of times when I don't like what she has to say, but I respect where she's coming from. I read her blog today and just watched her wrap-up of the day. Her opinions about Neumeister came from her experience and what she observed. I honestly don't know if she is right or wrong about him. We'll have to wait and see.

But, there is one thing I know, she will tell us if she was wrong. And she'll do it calmly and without a big hullabaloo. I've seen her do it so many times before.

One thing I do know, she's never given me a headache like a couple of other ladies and gentlemen have!

That's what I thought after I had read her blog today. She is much more detailed and seems to try to just report without bias until she has all of the facts.

I'm still not clear on what exactly BN has done or what his process has been. At least BK took the time to type out what he was saying instead of "more computery nonsense—and *advertiser censored*!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
behindthecrime