Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Day 27, Part 2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think "conflicted" says it all. The DT tried to twist this into a reason why he abused her. I think the truth is he was simply exhausted by feeling conflicted, nonstop , about a woman who just would not leave him alone, ever.

I agree with you 100% that he was incredibly relieved to see her move back to CA. That journal entry of his is self explanatory....on an evening, shortly after she left, when he realizes he hasnt heard from her all day and writes:

Havent heard from her all day! Never thought that would happen! It feels great!
Both you and MeeBee made great points. The only thing I'd add is this:

I've been through a lot in my life and never have I been more confused and conflicted then when I was married to a psychopath. I desperately loved him (enough to spend 10 years with him and have two children), I couldn't then understand how he could appear to be so loving one moment but cold and distant the next. How he could make me feel ashamed for being who I was one day but leave me feeling irresistible the next. How a simple glare could leave me trembling but everyone else told me how lucky I was to have him. He told me he couldn't live without me but he acted, sometimes, as though he detested me. Psychopaths hold such power over their prey - they know exactly what to do, what to say - to both draw you in and push you away. I couldn't then understand any of it because I didn't then understand how insidious psychological abuse (which includes manipulation) is.

I think it would be difficult to be anything less than conflicted - especially for someone like Travis who always wanted to believe the good in others.

JMO and FWIW

I firmly believe Nurmi is working to get Jodi on death row..in a sly like a fox kinda way. Wilmott seems less then effective cross examining and it seems during this sentencing phase Nurmi has taken a back seat for most of it. Letting Wilmott do most of the work ,while he files countless motions to make sure the DP sentence sticks.

I also believe that JSS is so wishy washy that the Jury can't help but see her indecisiveness, and take the decision into their own hands in fear that JSS coddles the Murderer and gives her a possibility of parole.

In a backwards kinda way this very well may assure Jodi's life on death row (fingers crossed)

I thought she didn't have children?
Oh, thanks MeeBee. I thought at some point during the evidentiary hearings someone said she was a new mom. I had it wrong then. Is she married?

I think it's actually better that Juan doesn't cross examine Jodi while she's actually on the stand. I think the jury is smart enough to figure out why she didn't get up and finish ;)

I firmly believe Nurmi is working to get Jodi on death row..in a sly like a fox kinda way. Wilmott seems less then effective cross examining and it seems during this sentencing phase Nurmi has taken a back seat for most of it. Letting Wilmott do most of the work ,while he files countless motions to make sure the DP sentence sticks.

I also believe that JSS is so wishy washy that the Jury can't help but see her indecisiveness, and take the decision into their own hands in fear that JSS coddles the Murderer and gives her a possibility of parole.

In a backwards kinda way this very well may assure Jodi's life on death row (fingers crossed)

Careful!!!! Her minions likely stalk lurk here and they'd likely c&p such a notion and send it to Maria!!!

:giggle:

Her testimony is staying in because Juan WANTS it to stay in.

And the reason is because now he doesn't have to deal with her being on the stand while he crosses her, making up new lies as she goes along.

He can "cross" with her prior testimony (video) or with other witnesses or by commenting on her testimony in closing.

:tyou: AZL, for this explanation.

BBM: I trust Juan ... He is brilliant :great: and no doubt, he has thought this through completely.

So is this correct ? The jurors will not know the reasons why JA did not finish her testimony with Nurmi, and then had NO cross-examination by Juan ?

I understand that it may not even matter -- BUT -- will it confuse the jury -- and -- will it matter to the jury ?

I hope that made sense !

Again, :tyou:

The one thing said by JA in the first trial that was truth is her "I couldn't keep my lies straight" comment. And boy does this ring loud and clear in so many aspects of this case. All of the recent discussion and comments about her PPL history-when it started, where was she living, who was she with, when was she with them, all her tales are wrought with lies. It would be a tremendous sleuthing effort, but it sure would be something if it could all be laid out, cross referencing all her stories, all the testimony of others, all the documents, emails, texts, etc....to show that her entire tale is a jumbled, delusional mess. The whole issue raised by Juan of whether or not she and Travis ever were "dating" at all is so pointed. I think if they were, the DT would have been able to provide texts or emails from Travis to corroborate. But they haven't. They've got nothing. Nada.

If JM wasn't so busy with other pressing matters and cases, as well as this one, I bet he could actually do a chart strictly from memory. LOL

Maybe he'll attempt one for closing arguments? Nah...he's not really into "timeline charts" and destroys them at every opportunity. ;)

MOO

AZL or any attorney, After a jury trial I am sure you have spoken with the jurors. What kind of things do you feel they focus on the most? I am sure there are all kinds of crazy things. Are there specific kinds of things that stand out to you. I have never been on a serious jury trial and was just wondering.

Eta: I disagree very much she isn't trying to convince the world she knew him better. Very much. She is. That's exactly what all this is. It's the reason for that psychotic letter to the family. It's the reason she had to stamp all over Samantha and Steven's VIS's. Travis wasn't the glue, his grandmother was. You're wrong. Don't talk about your grandmother like I didn't know her. Travis confided in ME about her and I even met her. She had to be the one.

I understand your take. And not sure if I want to vigorously defend my different view. :).

Reality is, even though I've learned a lot about psychopaths during this trial, I can't claim any special understanding of how JA's mind works. She lies. She cares very much what others think of her. That much I get. Put together, she's lying now because she cares what people think of her.

Beyond that, who knows. Your version makes sense and so does mine. Maybe that means we're both wrong. :D

While ago Fox News had two guests on to talk about this trial. They both could not believe that the judge let Jodi give secret testimony and left it in without Juan being able to cross her. They said that put Juan at a disadvantage. They both think the jury will not give the death penalty. One mentioned the defense putting in all the things Travis was sending to different young women at the same time. He said something about this jury not seeing all the things the first jury did, like the gruesome crime scene. I can't remember if he mentioned the autopsy photos or not. I thought they had seen those photos. He said they wouldn't know how heinous the crime had been. I don't know if he forgot that this crime had already been proven to be "especially cruel."

I don't think Juan is at a disadvantage. I think it is an advantage. AZlawyer pointed out earlier that now JA won't be able to finesse her answers to fit the questions. No chance of the jury feeling sympathy toward her when Juan yells at her. Juan has everything he needs to show the jury that her secret testimony (really no new news) is still made out of lies, and even that none of these 14 mitigators apply to her. If Juan wants a specific statement of hers, he's got a wealth of evidentiary documents, audio, video and transcript testimony from which he can select. All this stuff from the last trial, the new jury has to accept. I believe I've read that he can also use her media interviews and her police interrogation too. The crime scene and autopsy images will be on the jumbotron again before the jury goes to deliberate.

I will be excited to hear from the jurors how they came to their decision, whatever it may be.

We love to go over the details (I love to). Then you hear from the jurors they really liked a certain attorney because he would tell them hello in the morning.

The whole thing just doesn't make sense. You never know what the jurors are going to focus on.

:seeya:

JMO ... but I only want to hear from these jurors is IF they give JA the DP.

Other than that, I don't want to hear any pathetic excuse why they could not give her the DP because she truly deserves it.

Also, it is what the Alexander Family wants !

:moo:

I'd think the Jury would be relieved no having her up there with her whoa is me stories for 18 days

AZL or any attorney, After a jury trial I am sure you have spoken with the jurors. What kind of things do you feel they focus on the most? I am sure there are all kinds of crazy things. Are there specific kinds of things that stand out to you. I have never been on a serious jury trial and was just wondering.

Since they're not online, I'll jump in and answer if you don't mind lol. AZL does appeals and doesn't deal with jurors. Boytwnmomm is not a trial attorney.

Gitana, Minor4th haven't been along for the ride this time around.

I'm sure AZL and BYTWNMOM will answer when they pop in again.. But can I recommend you do this: search on google or YouTube for Jurors Jodi Arias. A lot of them did interviews and talked about what left an impression and what didn't. The ones that voted for DP said her lack or remorse was one of the major things they considered.

http://www.examiner.com/article/jod...continues-maria-de-la-rosa-takes-center-stage

Scroll down and JM's computer expert Det. Perry Smith's part in the BN "*advertiser censored* hearing" is described.

"During Bryan Neumeister's testimony, Juan kept arguing that his expert [Det. Perry Smith] was going to throw everything the Judge just heard out the window. And he was right. Not only did Perry Smith testify that it was not picture files but link files, he also revealed some interesting information about the Recycling Bin of the altered clone, and the Incinerator program that was the subject of hours of cross examination last week. In that Recycling Bin was a copy of the Incinerator program that the defense and State have been arguing over. Not only will nobody ever believe anything Bryan Neumeister ever has to say about computers anymore, but for many that basically meant this motion is over."

I'm thinking she stalked him ahead of the Vegas convention and caused the initial encounter.

I don't think so. Some things in this sorry tale really are just bad luck. TA seeing her and choosing to pursue her at a convention of over 10,000 people was the worst luck he was ever going to have. :(

He even said it himself "you are the worst thing that ever happened to me". It's amazing how certain chance encounters can end that way.

MOO

A little off topic but just wondering if anyone knows if Deanna is married and has a family??(not asking to sleuth just wondering if its been stated)... I admire her strength and she has so much class...just think she deserves some happiness in her life!!!

:tyou: AZL, for this explanation.

BBM: I trust Juan ... He is brilliant :great: and no doubt, he has thought this through completely.

So is this correct ? The jurors will not know the reasons why JA did not finish her testimony with Nurmi, and then had NO cross-examination by Juan ?

I understand that it may not even matter -- BUT -- will it confuse the jury -- and -- will it matter to the jury ?

I hope that made sense !

Again, :tyou:

Honestly, my opinion is, unless something MAJOR happens, I'm guessing the majority of jurors have already made their minds up on how they will vote. All the deliberating this time, willbe to go over evidence to convince the 1 or 2 others, why they should vote death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fales922