Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Day 8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure the jury will see for themselves that CMJA doesn't suffer from a lack of self esteem. Haven't we been here before?

This whole phase is really becoming a rinse+repeat of the original trial.

I still dont understand why some of it can't be reeled in when we are supposed to just be deciding her penalty. She is guilty already.

It's almost like Nurmi is trying to tell the jury how many stabs he should have gotten because of how many times he had sex with Jodi. Its really unbelievable and I have never seen a trial like this one.

How many people with self esteem issues would be confidant enough to contact a network offering to do a story.

Sentencing someone to death is a very big deal. Many think it's a no-brainer, slam-dunk. I don't think that's the case in the vast majority of DP cases. It's easy to sit in a comfy recliner or behind a computer and be all, "yeah, I'll pull the switch no problem!" Quite a different thing to have to make that decision. And I believe in the DP and am not a softie. But even I realize the gravity of such a decision.

I think people need to stop seeing Arias getting the DP as the only 'win.' I think the 'win' was when she was convicted of first degree murder. The rest is really more of a show. Either way she will not be executed and will spend life in prison.

Personally, I don't think I could ever be able to make that decision, but I can honestly say that I stand behind whatever the Alexander Family wants. So if they see that as the ultimate justice, then I will gladly stand with them.

Wel, IMO, she SEEMS to be making a negative judgment upon his making out with various young ladies and then not making them serious relationships. And that seems to be from a belief upon her part that it was bad behavior on his part. Maybe it is not from the generation gap, but it seems possible to me.

I know the 60's very well. Went through them in Berkeley as a teen, A wild FREE LOVE attitude took over for me. :nuts: :loveyou: But I also felt the judgmental blowback from the older generation. And many of the non-hippies in my generation. And being a victim of child sexual abuse made me even more promiscuous than many of my FREE LOVE generation. And I learned full well of the generation gap as I matured. JMO :cow:

I loved your response! Thanks!

I really don't think her views are due to being older- I think they are strategic. I think you have to be slow/stupid otherwise. The point I'm making is that if you want to challenge an opinion, stick to their reasons.

So what if Travis just wanted to "hit it and quit it"? Men and women do it all the time. I confess as a female that I have. :shame:

I told y'all Juan had it. But its freaking hilarious to find out it was the DEFENSE who deleted the sites. Lolololol Nurmi needs to sit in a corner with a dunce cap on!

Quick question: Is this "expert" supposed to be on the stand for 2 more days?

What is not to get? The Hughes' perceived his behaviour and thought it dubious. Why is this an issue when most true, good friends would challenge a friend on something that concerns them? I am scratching my head, honestly.

We obviously have differing opinions on the Hughes and that is ok.

In my opinion, Travis sex life should have been none of their business and I dont see where Travis ever asked them for advice on the subject. Maybe he did. I have no idea.
I dont know their relationship well enough to comment further and will avoid discussing them further after this.

All I know is the words that the Hughes said in those emails are now being used against Travis in a murder trial, and their words seem hurtful to the Prosecution, as well as most likely being hurtful to Travis family. And that is horrible.

And the fact they are writing a book bothers me. Unless I see where ALL the profits from that book go to a charity, I am left to wonder the real motive for the book.

So, we can just agree to disagree about them. Hopefully they will be forced to testify and they can better explain things.

I do want to apologize to you and anybody else if you took it wrong for my earlier careless use of calling the witness today an "old lady". I went back and found my post, and I honestly was just calling her that because she is old and I dont know her name (still dont) and didnt know what else to call her. There was nothing malicious or inferring about my description of her. And I swear that I am practically as old as she is.

I will be more careful in future so people dont take things wrong.

Personally, I don't think I could ever be able to make that decision, but I can honestly say that I stand behind whatever the Alexander Family wants. So if they see that as the ultimate justice, then I will gladly stand with them.

I'll stand behind whatever the jury decides, assuming they make a unanimous decision. I well understand the Alexander family's desires and I have no problem with those either but ultimately it's up to the jury (or the judge).

I am sure he wanted her for the sex but I'm also sure she wanted him to need her for the sex. It was the one thing that only she could give him - kinky sex. And that, gave her more power over him than he ever had over her.

Yes, she used sex, that was her one and only power over men. She wanted the power so much, that she went to extremes that some women would not go to, thus more power. jmo

If the evidence presented in front of me showed that the crime was absolutely heinous and brutal.. I could make that choice. I don't see her conviction only as a win.. Because there still IS a chance she could get life WITH parole. the chances of that are slim.. but stranger things have happened *coughCASEYANTHONYcough*. Because of how she murdered travis, she deserves to sit on death row. She may not be executed for a long time but she deserves to sit on DR. I understand why the Alexanders wanted to retry this phase of the trial. They most likely feel that if they would pull the DP off the table and let then judge sentence her, it's a win for Jodi, and that's not good for anyone. IMO.

Nicole Goodman Esq @msesquirette · now 3 seconds ago
#JodiArias. Dr. F even has Alyce LaViolette's "Oh yes" expression down every time she reads into or "outside" the emails to base her opin.

Nicole Goodman Esq @msesquirette · 2m 2 minutes ago
#JodiArias Dr. F says JAs indiscretions were okay because she was a convert and his were wrong because he was mormon longer

Then why bother converting? Oh, yeah, to manipulate Travis!!!

Converting to get a young man or a young woman is not that uncommon. Mormons are very serious about premarital sex. If anybody is interested, they can look at these comments from their Prophets and Apostles. Not a Mormon friendly site but the quotes are true. Just a bit of perspective on Mormon chastity. Missionaries/ returned missionaries or members that have been endowed in the temple are held (usually, there are exceptions) to a higher standard than new converts who have not been to the temple yet. A person makes special covenants with God there. TA had already lost his temple recommend due to premarital sex with Deanna. I do not know if he was found worthy to be issued one again, but the pressure must have been enormous when he slipped up with JA. A member must keep a temple recommend in order to be admitted into the highest level of Heaven, the Celestial Kingdom. IMO, if there any Mormons on the jury, they might be more judgmental towards TA than persons not of their faith.

"Better Dead and Clean than Alive and Unclean

It may be hard for nonmembers to comprehend just how serious Mormons consider my sin [sex outside of marriage] to be. Former prophet Spencer W. Kimball said that “[e]ven mortal life itself, when placed upon the balance scales, weighs less than chastity.” In his 1969 book, Miracle of Forgiveness, President Kimball quoted two other Mormon prophets: David O. McKay said, “Your virtue is worth more than your life. Please, young folk, preserve your virtue even if you lose your lives” (not at all a pleasant thing to believe for rape victims who are overpowered but not killed); and Heber J. Grant said, “There is no true Latter-day Saint who would not rather bury a son or a daughter than to have him or her lose his or her chastity” (both quotes on p. 63). Apostle Bruce R. McConkie, in the 1966 version of his classic Mormon Doctrine, put it bluntly: “Better dead clean, than alive unclean. Many is the faithful Latter-day Saint parent who has sent a son or daughter on a mission or otherwise out into the world with the direction, ‘I would rather have you come back home in a pine box with your virtue than return alive without it.’” (p. 124)

Thank you so very much SulaSmith!

Someone upthread made a comment about good Mormon's being as good in bed would be common knowledge, however - in the LDS religion, sex is purely for pro-creation. Sex outside of marriage is taken very seriously along with fornication and masturbation are considered sins equivilent to breaking one of the 10 Commandments in not being able to reach your spiritual potential.

I wanted to address this issue but you have done it so much more eloquently than I ever could and you gave references to back up what you are are saying.

From what I remember of the radio program where Tricia interviewed Sky, Sky said that Jodi had lied to her about Travis and that is why they were so upset with him. Once he talked to them, they realized that it was Jodi that was not telling the truth. I believe that was the start of the turning point. Not sure that is exactly right but it is from what I remember. Sometimes things are never as they seem.

I tried to read all the Twitter-litter that collected while I was at work, and—maybe I'm just tired—my poor brain cannot make a cohesive story out of it. My karasoncrime.com membership is going to save my sanity while trying to follow this trial. Her site is much improved. There's a whole thread for it, so I won't rave about it more here, but it's worth every penny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pama_213