MI Rudy Bladel, "The Railway Sniper" killed from 1963 to 1978, MI and IN

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Bumping this thread up. Bladel's known killings went on for 15 years, and the first (known) murder took place a little over 60 ears ago.

Although all of the victims generally believed to have been shot by Rudy Bladel were Railroad men, it is possible that there were others as well.

I think looking at and testing any remains found at railroads or within reasonable distance of his timeline should be pursued. Chances are this man made at least one mistake in killing someone at a railroad who was not employed there, and another likelihood would be that clearly he was violent and his frustration could have been taken out on anyone who gave him the opportunity. I also think his persistence and ability to find a new gun whenever he needed to points to him being responsible for several other murders. Is there still an investigation on going? or since he's passed away they aren't looking to tie him to other possible murders.

I think looking at and testing any remains found at railroads or within reasonable distance of his timeline should be pursued. Chances are this man made at least one mistake in killing someone at a railroad who was not employed there, and another likelihood would be that clearly he was violent and his frustration could have been taken out on anyone who gave him the opportunity. I also think his persistence and ability to find a new gun whenever he needed to points to him being responsible for several other murders. Is there still an investigation on going? or since he's passed away they aren't looking to tie him to other possible murders.

Good observations and questions.

As with most "solved" murders and convicted perpetrators, criminal investigators often relegate them to a less urgent status. Even though it is a good bet that a known serial killer probably has more victims not found or identified.

Rudy Bladel was truly a nutcase. He was persistent in his desire to kill and he used a different pistol or shotgun for each of his murders.

His nickname of "The Railway Sniper" is really a misnomer because a sniper uses a rifle to kill at long ranges. Rudy, on the other hand, always shot his victims at close ranges, and never with a rifle.

A characteristic of serial killers is that they kill for the love of killing. They really don't need a reason. It is simply what they do. Although they may have patterns in their selections of victims, methods, weapons, etc, etc, their main compulsion is to kill - and this could over ride other proclivities or patterns they have.

In this case, much is made of Rudy's choice of railroad men as victims. It is a pattern of his which links several murders together. But... this does not necessarily mean that he killed ONLY railroad men. There could very well be other victims (male or female) near railroads, or that he came across in his random midnight wanderings.

I have suggested him as a potential suspect in a few other unsolved murders NOT connected to railroads, but which had some elements that seem to fit his methods and habits.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammiwinks
Back