Russia Attacks Ukraine - 23 Feb 2022 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is further disturbing me other than the obvious (war in Ukraine and potential to become a nuclear world war) is the fact that more than a million have fled Ukraine and they are only 34.5% fully vaccinated against CV19. I looked this data up when I saw a 4+ minute video of people fleeing the country, and out of the hundreds of people I saw, in various different areas, all bunched up together, I only saw TWO masks. One was worn as a chin decoration so it doesn't even count. :eek: That gave me pause and it really worries me. :(

View attachment 335599

Source is here, but I find the above pic fr Google search results easier on the eyes, but I did want to supply the source page that image came from: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Vaccinations

I have a feeling if I was trying to outrun a bomb I might not run back for a mask. Are they under an outside mask mandate?

What is further disturbing me other than the obvious (war in Ukraine and potential to become a nuclear world war) is the fact that more than a million have fled Ukraine and they are only 34.5% fully vaccinated against CV19. I looked this data up when I saw a 4+ minute video of people fleeing the country, and out of the hundreds of people I saw, in various different areas, all bunched up together, I only saw TWO masks. One was worn as a chin decoration so it doesn't even count. :eek: That gave me pause and it really worries me. :(

View attachment 335599

Source is here, but I find the above pic fr Google search results easier on the eyes, but I did want to supply the source page that image came from: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Vaccinations

oh boy this just keeps getting worse

Russia-Ukraine war latest news: Nato gives ‘green light to bombing’ with lack of no-fly zone, says Zelenskiy | World news | The Guardian
3h ago 18:58

Volodymyr Zelenskiy has critisized Nato for refusing to implement a no-fly zone over Ukraine, saying the decision has given “the green light for further bombing of Ukrainian towns and villages”.

“All the people who die from this day forward will also die because of you, because of your weakness, because of your lack of unity,” the Ukrainian president said in an emotional nighttime address.

[...]

Zelenskiy said Nato countries have created a narrative that a no-fly zone would provoke Russia’s aggression against Nato. “This is the self-hypnosis of those who are weak, insecure inside, despite the fact they possess weapons many times stronger than we have,” he said.

He also praised Ukrainians for their resistance against Russia’s invasion: “We are warriors of light,” he said. “The history of Europe will remember this forever.”

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 10 hours ago
⚡️A missile fragment, presumably from a Russian missile, falls in the yard of Zelensky's state dacha near Kyiv.

“Missed me,” joked President Volodymyr Zelensky, according to his spokesperson Sergii Nykyforov, who posted photos of the object.

FNBQ5PaWQAUg5FL
FNBQ8w2WYAQdIbi

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 9 hours ago
⚡️Three Ukrainian supermarket chains - Silpo, Novus, and Varus - stop selling Coca-Cola products as the company continues to operate in Russia.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 8 hours ago
⚡️ Mariupol Mayor pleads for help, asks for a humanitarian corridor.
According to Mayor Vadym Boychenko, the city is cut off from heating, water, and electricity, while people are running out of food and medicine.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - Video, 7 hours ago
⚡️Zelensky delivered a televised speech to the people of Europe.
“Do not be silent, support Ukraine. Because if Ukraine does not survive, the whole Europe will not survive. If Ukraine falls, the whole Europe will fall.”
Video: President’s Office.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter- 5 hours ago
⚡️ Armed Forces: Russia fires cluster munition in Pokrovsk, no casualties.
The use of cluster bombs targeting civilians may constitute a war crime, according to Amnesty International. The Kremlin has denied the use of cluster munitions.

Australia has a bumper wheat crop this year, due to an excellent growing season, and the increased orders are coming in because of the attack on Ukraine and its ramifications.

(My mum, who was a young RAF aircraft mechanic at the end of WWII, always used to say that - unfortunately - war is good for the economy.)

Black Sea Chaos Prompts Buyers To Seek Australia Wheat In Advance
Russia-Ukraine war: Australian wheat will dominate South-east Asia as Black Sea exports falter
https://graingrowers.com.au/news/record-wheat-harvest-in-australia-welcome-news
Unfortunately, as farmers, every time we benefit it's usually because of someone else's misfortune.

The Kyiv Independent@KyivIndependent·10m⚡️Pentagon: Russia has fired more than 500 missiles in the week since its full-scale invasion of Ukraine began.
Russia is launching all different types of missiles at a rate of about two dozen per day, a Pentagon official said.

The Kyiv Independent@KyivIndependent·12m⚡️As of March 3, more than 1.2 million refugees have left Ukraine since Russia's full-scale invasion began on February 24, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees reports.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1499949196450975745?s=20&t=LSxl6k23kdX9OrLX-kWEAw

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1499949903283433474?s=20&t=LSxl6k23kdX9OrLX-kWEAw

I wonder why their tweets won't link?

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 4 hours ago
Reuters: Ukraine still has a "significant majority" of its military aircraft available nine days after Russian forces started their full-scale invasion of the country, according to an unnamed U.S. defense official.

The official also said that Ukrainian aircraft had suffered some loses, including being destroyed by Russian forces, but did not give details.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 2 hours ago
⚡️Samsung Electronics said on March 5 that shipments to Russia have been suspended "due to current geopolitical developments."
Samsung is also donating $6 million, including $1 million in consumer electronics, to actively support humanitarian efforts “around the region."

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 1 hour ago
⚡️Around 74% of Americans - including Republicans and Democrats - said the U.S. and its NATO allies should impose a no-fly zone in Ukraine, a Reuters/Ipsos poll completed on March 4 found.
An equally bipartisan 80% of Americans said the U.S. should stop buying Russian oil.

Interesting to hear how Putin has been preparing Russian economy since 2014. An interview with Alistair Milne, Professor of Financial Economics at Loughborough University

*Flagging my own post as this source may not be approved.

MAR 4, 2022
'They Don't Want To Cause Panic': As War In Ukraine Rages, Russians Begin Grieving Over Dead Soldiers (rferl.org)
OZYORNOYE, Russia --

[...]

A conscript, Khanygin died in the early hours of Russia's invasion of Ukraine on February 24 -- the day before his 22nd birthday.

[...]

"Everyone is asking, 'When? When? When?,'" Khanygin's grandmother Natalya told RFE/RL, referring to the funeral plans.

"But we don't know when. A military representative came and said they will not bring my grandson home until after the 'special operation' is finished," she said, the wording the Russian authorities use -- and are pressuring all Russians to use -- to refer to the unprovoked war that has killed thousands of soldiers and Ukrainian civilians. "They don't want to cause panic."

[...]

Word of Khanygin's death came to his family in Ozyornoye on February 25, when the head of the regional military office called his mother, Lyudmila Khangyina, with the news.

"During the day on Friday, my youngest grandson, Fyodor, came running to me and shouted: 'Grandma, come quickly. Mama has fainted. Maksim is dead!,'" Natalya said.

Written notification came shortly afterward.

08640000-0a00-0242-6855-08d9fce3a30b.jpg

[...]

On March 3, a veterans' group reported the death in combat near the Ukrainian port city of Mariupol of Major General Andrei Sukhovetsky, one of Russia's most decorated and experienced combat officers.

[...]

On March 2, local authorities said on Instagram that 31-year-old Ali Batyrov, a native of the settlement of Batazhnoye in the southwestern region of Astrakhan, was killed in Ukraine on February 28. He held the rank of major, had been wounded and decorated in Syria, was a battalion commander, and left behind a widow and children.

The same day, officials in the Selenginsky district of Buryatia reported the death in Ukraine of Lieutenant Ilya Semyonov, who was also a veteran of the war in Syria, where Russia has given government forces crucial military support since 2015.

[...]

Galina Zinoviyeva lives in the village of Nizhny Ures, in Tatarstan. She hasn't heard from her serviceman son, 21-year-old Maksim, since January 28, when he reported that he had arrived in Belarus for exercises. He was due to return to his home base on February 20 -- the last scheduled day of the drills in Belarus, which lies north of Ukraine and has been a staging ground for the Russian invasion.

[...]

I thought it was Kyjiv. ?
I'm also confused about how people say Ukraine, like someone posted about a bit further up.
Why do some people say "the" Ukraine. How about the India, the Denmark, the France.
I know the explanation, but even some English-speaking people in the West say it like that. ?
Not that it brings anything useful to the discussion, I'm just curious.
It's interesting. We are referred to as "The" United States". But many countries refer to us as simply America (which is totally inaccurate as there is South America and North America. The United States is only one part of "America".

March 3 2022
'THIS IS CRAZY': Gas hikes, shortages as further record prices loom | Toronto Sun
''GTA gas prices are once again expected to reach record highs at 1.75 a litre, but gas analysts see potential for prices nearing $1.90 a litre in the not-too-distant future.''

“I guess the war in Ukraine is the reason behind the gas price spike,” he said.
Some stations ran out of gas as people stocked up before Thursday morning’s sticker shock.
“It’s difficult to get gas today,” said Natalie Hollinshead, who said it usually costs about $80 to fill her tank.
Now it costs her $100 to fill up''
Gas price hikes are going to be a painful inevitability for much of the world. DH drives a Prius Prime (which averages 133 miles per gallon on a full battery charge) and works from home. I commute 40 miles to work M-F, so I think I shall drive his car for now to reduce our gas usage.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 10 hours ago
⚡️A missile fragment, presumably from a Russian missile, falls in the yard of Zelensky's state dacha near Kyiv.

Missed me,” joked President Volodymyr Zelensky, according to his spokesperson Sergii Nykyforov, who posted photos of the object.

FNBQ5PaWQAUg5FL
FNBQ8w2WYAQdIbi
Respectfully snipped and bolded by me.

His comment "Missed me" made me cringe. I get it, but sometimes you really shouldn't poke fun at the insane. :eek: People like Putin feel it's Tit for tat, forgetting that they even started the whole thing. All of a sudden it's the other person who's the bad guy, totally (purposely) forgetting that you started everything. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AussyDog