Live updates: Russia attacks Ukraine

WS:

Russia Attacks Ukraine - 23 Feb 2022 **Media Thread** NO DISCUSSION

Russia Attacks Ukraine - 23 Feb 2022 **Media Thread** NO DISCUSSION
Media Thread #2

Russia Attacks Ukraine - 23 Feb 2022 **Media Thread** NO DISCUSSION #3

Military Times
Live Twitter updates from Russia’s massive Ukraine invasion

“As Russian President Vladimir Putin tonight announced a special “special military operation” and reportedly launched a major attack on neighboring Ukraine, President Joe Biden responded that the Russian government would be held accountable for “catastrophic loss of life and human suffering.”

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6

Last edited by a moderator:
APPROVED SOURCES
(In addition to approved MSM from around the world)

The Kyiv Independent
Ukrinform
Nexta TV
Hromadske
AtlanticCouncil.org
Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFE/RL)
Euromaidan Press

NON APPROVED SOURCES
(Do not link to the following Russian state affiliated agencies or sources that promote or spread false information)

TASS
Korrespondent media and all other UMH Group publications found here
RT and RT America
Sputnik
Russia 24
RIA Novosti
Dozhd TV
Ekho Moskvy
Komsomolskaya Pravda
Russia-24
VGTRK (Russia TV)
Aram Gabrelyanov media (including Zhizn, Lifenews.ru, Izvestia)
Global Times (Chinese publication, known for fabrications, disinformation, misinformation and conspiracy theories.)

From 2 days ago, so maybe this has already been posted, Zelensky addressing Canadian Parliament - bringing forward in case anyone missed it - I especially wanted to watch it since I heard about the extended clapping and standing ovation (like the UK address). It’s nice to see all this solidarity.

Eta:

Glad you posted this because I can’t hear the translation well in the video over the talking.

—-

Eta:

Last edited:
Or maybe they were actually headed east for California! Or maybe it's a bit more of the usual scaremongering.

I'll keep an eye out for them next time I'm in Whitby or Filey :confused:

Given the current state of affairs as they concern Russia and their actual war on Ukraine, I don't think "the usual scaremongering" are appropriate words to use concerning them in a military context (in my military opinion). Just a month ago, some people were also erroneously using that word to describe the concerns that Ukraine was raising about the threat they perceived (proven rightly so now) to their nation coming from these same Russians. :(

Russia's Pacific Fleet is stationed at Vladivostock on it's south eastern coast in the Sea of Japan. If I see Russian ships carrying landing craft, vehicles and troops begin to move south west through international waters there, I'm thinking they are heading westwards to the Suez, then north through the canal (so far - all international waters) and continuing with attempting to make a passage through the Chornomorsk (Turkish waters) and into the Black Sea ... so that they can land those troops to aid in their war against Ukraine.

It is the shortest route for them to take to get those reinforcements there. Seems to me that they want to cut Ukraine off from having a seaport and leave them landlocked at the very least should their quest to take the entire country fail.

What remains to be seen is will Turkey, a NATO country, let them through.

This can't go on!
We are watching,while Putin keeps pushing the world to its end.
I wonder if it can't be trucked/trained to EU countries and they can get it on other ships. Putin figures Russia can't get her grain transported why should Ukraine. Like you said he pushes and pushes...someone needs to shove his *** 6 feet under, AJMO

Ukraine conflict: Putin lays out his demands in Turkish phone call - BBC News
''The Russian demands fall into two categories.

The first four demands are, according to Mr Kalin, not too difficult for Ukraine to meet.

Chief among them is an acceptance by Ukraine that it should be neutral and should not apply to join Nato. Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky has already conceded this.''

''There are other demands in this category which mostly seem to be face-saving elements for the Russian side.

Ukraine would have to undergo a disarmament process to ensure it wasn't a threat to Russia. There would have to be protection for the Russian language in Ukraine. And there is something called de-Nazification.

This is deeply offensive to Mr Zelensky, who is himself Jewish and some of whose relatives died in the Holocaust, but the Turkish side believes it will be easy enough for Mr Zelensky to accept. Perhaps it will be enough for Ukraine to condemn all forms of neo-Nazism and promise to clamp down on them.''

''What about Vladimir Putin himself? There have been suggestions that he is ill, or possibly even mentally unbalanced. Did Mr Kalin detect anything strange about him in the phone call? Not at all, he said. Mr Putin had apparently been clear and concise in everything he said.''

BBM Of course they did... :rolleyes::mad:

Rescuers search theater rubble as Russian attacks continue | AP News
[...]

More than a day after the airstrike, there were no reports of deaths. With communications disrupted across the city and movement difficult because of shelling and other fighting, there were conflicting reports on whether anyone had emerged from the rubble.

“We hope and we think that some people who stayed in the shelter under the theater could survive,” Petro Andrushchenko, an official with the mayor’s office, told The Associated Press. He said the building had a relatively modern basement bomb shelter designed to withstand airstrikes. Video and photos provided by the Ukrainian military showed that the at least three-story building had been reduced to a roofless shell, with some exterior walls collapsed.

[...]

Russia’s military denied bombing the theater or anyplace else in Mariupol on Wednesday.

[...]

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 8 hrs ago
City council: Russian forces drop 50-100 bombs on Mariupol every day. The city council said that the southeastern city is in critical condition. Encircled since March 2, Mariupol has been cut off from electricity, water, gas, mobile network, food and medicine supplies.

NEXTA on Twitter
Volodymir @ZelenskyyUa was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.
FOFUd5NXMAAo_xm

t4526.gif

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 6 hrs ago
Over 320,000 Ukrainians return home since the beginning of war. According to the State Border Guard Service, most Ukrainians returning home are men.

Euromaidan Press on Twitter
Ignoring the decision of the UN’s Court of Justice, which ordered Russia to halt its invasion of Ukraine, Russia must give up all the rights granted under the UN Charter, primarily its right of veto in the UN Security Council, Ukrainian FM Spokesman said

NEXTA on Twitter - 2 hrs ago
On March 17, the #Ukrainian air defense forces hit at least 14 air targets.

Euromaidan Press on Twitter - 2 hrs ago
I spoke with President Macron. We are strengthening the defense of Ukraine. We coordinated our joint steps towards peace. Thank you. I am also grateful to President Biden for his new and effective support, — Zelenskyy

"Today I addressed the Parliament of Germany — one of the most influential countries in the world... We see how Germany is looking for a new path… We see that Chancellor Olaf Scholz has a great chance, a great mission — to give Germany renewed leadership," — Zelenskyy

"[Chancellor Scholz has a great chance] to give Europe peace, honest peace... I sincerely wish Chancellor Scholz from all Ukrainians, all Europeans, that Germany and its partners succeed in carrying out this mission," — Zelenskyy

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 1 hr ago
Russia's Ministry of Internal Affairs and FSB receive order to check all Ukrainian citizens living in Moscow. Russian news outlet OVDinfo spoke to 2 Ukrainian citizens living in Moscow who said security services searched their apartments & demanded they unlock their phones.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter
They reportedly offered some Ukrainians accelerated Russian citizenship, while others were charged with petty hooliganism.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 6 hrs ago
Over 320,000 Ukrainians return home since the beginning of war. According to the State Border Guard Service, most Ukrainians returning home are men.

Ignoring the decision of the UN’s Court of Justice, which ordered Russia to halt its invasion of Ukraine, Russia must give up all the rights granted under the UN Charter, primarily its right of veto in the UN Security Council, Ukrainian FM Spokesman said

NEXTA on Twitter - 2 hrs ago
On March 17, the #Ukrainian air defense forces hit at least 14 air targets.

Euromaidan Press on Twitter - 2 hrs ago
I spoke with President Macron. We are strengthening the defense of Ukraine. We coordinated our joint steps towards peace. Thank you. I am also grateful to President Biden for his new and effective support, — Zelenskyy

"Today I addressed the Parliament of Germany — one of the most influential countries in the world... We see how Germany is looking for a new path… We see that Chancellor Olaf Scholz has a great chance, a great mission — to give Germany renewed leadership," — Zelenskyy

"[Chancellor Scholz has a great chance] to give Europe peace, honest peace... I sincerely wish Chancellor Scholz from all Ukrainians, all Europeans, that Germany and its partners succeed in carrying out this mission," — Zelenskyy

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 1 hr ago
Russia's Ministry of Internal Affairs and FSB receive order to check all Ukrainian citizens living in Moscow. Russian news outlet OVDinfo spoke to 2 Ukrainian citizens living in Moscow who said security services searched their apartments & demanded they unlock their phones.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter
They reportedly offered some Ukrainians accelerated Russian citizenship, while others were charged with petty hooliganism.
I don’t know what petty hooliganism is but that’s a great term.

Disturbing, graphic video at link.

Bodies Litter The Floors Of Mariupol Hospital As Ukrainian Medics Fight To Save Lives

A hospital in Ukraine's besieged southeastern port city of Mariupol is overflowing with patients. With Russian forces having destroyed all the other medical facilities in the city, it serves as an emergency department, a maternity ward, and a morgue. WARNING: Viewers may find the content of this video disturbing.

Interview: What To Expect In The Next Phase Of The Ukraine War (rferl.org)
[...]

To find out more about what to expect, RFE/RL spoke with Russian military expert Michael Kofman, who heads the Russia Studies Program at the Virginia-based think tank CNA.

[...]

Michael Kofman: ...

I think the way the war is going right now is that Russian forces are making steady progress, [but] most of the initial objectives in the war, I don't think they can reach at this point. I do not see a strong proposition for them being able to assault and capture Kyiv, for example, and [it is beginning to] look like Russia is revising its war goals down towards some sort of political settlement [with the Ukrainian government].

[...]

Kofman: ...

So, the future of the conflict most likely is that the Russian military is probably going to become exhausted in the coming weeks and need operational pauses. They’re going to become combat ineffective, and they’ll need to replenish and reorganize and rearm units. So that means that we're probably going to be looking at a cease-fire of some kind -- maybe not a full political settlement -- in the coming weeks. That's my projection [and] it's about the most optimistic I’ve been in this conflict.

Having said that, I think the war is still going to get ugly over the course of this time period and you will see the Russian military in some areas using outright pressure tactics by barraging cities and just hitting the civilian population to put pressure on Ukraine's political leadership.

[...]

RFE/RL: Beyond what you've already mentioned, what has surprised you most about how this war has been fought?

Kofman: The fact that the war was essentially kept secret from large parts of the Russian military [was very surprising], so they were materially unprepared, psychologically unprepared, and had very low morale with very little organization for a proper military operation. That, of course, really ceded the initiative to the Ukrainian side. The Ukrainians have put up a tremendous resistance, they fought smartly, leveraged urban terrain, [and] attacked Russian supply lines, which were the Achilles' heel of their effort.

[...]

It's also a good opportunity to reflect on to what extent this is the problem of the [Russian] military itself or to what extent it really was just a bad plan. It's really [President Vladimir] Putin's war and I think that's what surprised me. The Russian military is prosecuting it, that's very clear, but ineffectually and unimpressively.

This is fundamentally Putin’s war and it turns out that when he tried to characterize it as a special military operation, he really meant it.

It looks like he really thought this was going to be a special military operation. They were going to be in and out in a few days and they were going to somehow conduct regime change and overthrow the government of what is the largest country in Europe outside of Russia, which sounds wild. It’s phenomenal [to think of] the delusions that [would] have led to those kinds of assumptions and that plan, but nonetheless, here we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cliff77