Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe if they had their time again, if knowing what people are saying now, they would have released it.
If they released it now, it would make them look foolish for not having released it before
Releasing it 3weeks on serves no purpose and has no benefit. Police do not have crystal balls.

The police would surely be able to request login details from Google? Even maybe metadata?

Location data stored by Google is collected by the phone (and watch?) GPS (and possibly cellular and wifi helps refine it), but the phone would need to be on.

If say the phone was swiched off and the apple watch was kept on, should the watch keep working normally in regards to location data and cellular communications?
i think its quite hard to get this info isnt it, remembering theo hayez parents trying to unlock his account?

i think its quite hard to get this info isnt it, remembering theo hayez parents trying to unlock his account?
Was that for the phone itself or for the data stored in the Google cloud server.
I am talking about the the data/metadata on the Google servers that Google should be able the access if it was subpoenaed.

Last edited:
Was that for the phone itself or for the data stored in the Google cloud servers?
sorry i cant remember, just that it was nearly impossible to check into his online accounts, could have been google or facebook? south aussie referenced here it a few pages ago

i found this info about theos info, not really relevant here sorry....

Therefore, WhatsApp is only able to access and disclose information that can include a user's name, last seen date, IP address and basic information but not the content of messages. Apple's iMessage and FaceTime also use end-to-end encryption though this is only when both the sending and receiving Apple device have iMessage turned on - if your texts are green, they're not encrypted

https://www..au/theo-hayez-whatsapp/
https://www..au/dakota-johnson-madame-web/

Last edited:
sorry i cant remember, just that it was nearly impossible to check into his online accounts, could have been google or facebook? south aussie referenced here it a few pages ago
Google had stored detailed phone data that they wouldn’t easily release…… this is the article…..

It's not as easy as one would think to get access to a missing persons data from google, facebook, apple etc. They use a program called iAsk. This is for NSW so not sure if it is the same in Victoria?

The coroner made lots of recommendations in her findings of the Theo Hayez case ( NSW )

Here are the findings with the recommendations.

From memory it was Theos family who was eventually able to access his accounts

Pages 17-30 is about digital data.

The whole inquest is also on youtube

Looked to me like she probably had her phone in the Lt hand side pocket of her tights / leggins?

View attachment 484581
This photo a split second later would have revealed so much more..shoes, clothing, direction of sight, unnatural or uneven clothing (like a phone, bumbag ), car rego, even facial expression... IMO

This photo a split second later would have revealed so much more..shoes, clothing, direction of sight, unnatural or uneven clothing (like a phone, bumbag ), car rego, even facial expression... IMO
Could have been not captured due to limitations of a cheap battery trigger recorded CCTV ( as I talked about a few pages back).

Having such a nice property/house and the extra additions added to the property since they bought in less than three years ago, and MM's car collection on the property, you would think that they would have spent the money for a decent CCTV system to help secure it all.

The police would surely be able to request login details from Google? Even maybe metadata?

Location data stored by Google is collected by the phone (and watch?) GPS (and possibly cellular and wifi helps refine it), but the phone would need to be on.

If say the phone was swiched off and the apple watch was kept on, should the watch keep working normally in regards to location data and cellular communications?
When Theo Hayez went missing in Byron Bay NSW it took Police longer to get any information from the phone company so Theos family had someone experienced get into his Google account which was alot quicker then waiting for the phone company.
I’m really not sure about the watch working if phone is switched off as I haven’t read much about them but might look into that tonight and get myself up to date on technology!

T
That was What's App info they could not access for Theo. It was because that app is super locked, so ever the app owners could not access it.

When Theo Hayez went missing in Byron Bay NSW it took Police longer to get any information from the phone company so Theos family had someone experienced get into his Google account which was alot quicker then waiting for the phone company.
I’m really not sure about the watch working if phone is switched off as I haven’t read much about them but might look into that tonight and get myself up to date on technology!
Even if they were able to get GPS location data from the phone/watch from the cloud severs, it would be very useful. Or maybe GPS coordinates are also encrypted and needing both public and private keys to decrypt?

I think she is in this vast park.
The place is huge, full of sinking holes and dense foliage.

So many women I read about who went running and never returned :(
After seeing how small and unnoticeable some of the mineshaft’s are I do wonder if any have been missed while searching? I read a news article of a man who had been out and searched some, he said the some of the sites still had foliage over them so he thought they hadn’t been checked out but one would think if there’s foliage still covering then the site hasn’t been disturbed by someone falling in.
Would be awfully scary being stuck in something’s like that

Even if they were able to get GPS location data from the phone/watch from the severs, it would be very useful. Or maybe GPS coordinates are also encrypted and needing both public and private keys to decrypt?
imho she would not have gone off-track.

There are snakes in there! and if she had've gone off track for some reason, she would have left a trace behind her, trampled grass etc, and the dogs wouldve found her.

That's a good question actually - does anyone know what the dogs indicated?

Even if they were able to get GPS location data from the phone/watch from the severs, it would be very useful. Or maybe GPS coordinates are also encrypted and needing both public and private keys to decrypt?
Someone in the comments stated the watches have their own esim so you wouldn’t need the phone on to get a location so thats good to know.
Makes me wonder if Samantha listened to music while running because on the “find my iphone” app my sons airpods come up on the map too

imho she would not have gone off-track.

There are snakes in there! and if she had've gone off track for some reason, she would have left a trace behind her, trampled grass etc, and the dogs wouldve found her.

That's a good question actually - does anyone know what the dogs indicated?
I was more comming from the point of view that she meet with foul play at some point along the track and having the location data could help to determine at what point that might have occured along the track.

I do not think she went wandering off the track either, particularly on that day that she had other appointments in the morning to get back to.

Last edited:
There is a big ground search happening on Saturday around the area where SM supposedly went missing. This is being organised by volunteers, an Aboriginal bush tracker is even flying in from another state to assist with the search.
I am surprised that the family is still so quiet about this - I understand if they don’t want to speak to the media in person or even if they don’t want to search themselves. But if it was me with a family member missing and strangers going out of their way, I would at least release a press statement thanking the people and giving them any cornerstone that may assist with the search: most frequently taken route and distance, the colour of her shoes and socks etc etc anything that might seem minuscule but can help the search efforts.

After seeing how small and unnoticeable some of the mineshaft’s are I do wonder if any have been missed while searching? I read a news article of a man who had been out and searched some, he said the some of the sites still had foliage over them so he thought they hadn’t been checked out but one would think if there’s foliage still covering then the site hasn’t been disturbed by someone falling in.
Would be awfully scary being stuck in something’s like that
The fact that so many have foliage over them does suggest they wouldn't be used. Police did say in an earlier interview, they put drones down a lot of them.

Samantha knew about the mine shafts and always ran on the tracks according to friends.

There was a gentleman on the ABC who runs a forest rehabilitation with a group, he has lived close there for around 30 years, and he doesn't believe that could happen, he said most are closed over, and the council has gone through and checked them, including some have grates over them secured in so they can't be opened.

He said Council would have a huge liability on their hands, if they weren't secured

The police don't seem to be too interested in this theory, nor about reports of some weirdo hanging around in the bush
They haven't done a sketch of anyone of interest and haven't made a warning announcement for the public to beware when venturing to the bush, etc.

It sounds like they are following a good lead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member