Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a big ground search happening on Saturday around the area where SM supposedly went missing. This is being organised by volunteers, an Aboriginal bush tracker is even flying in from another state to assist with the search.
I am surprised that the family is still so quiet about this - I understand if they don’t want to speak to the media in person or even if they don’t want to search themselves. But if it was me with a family member missing and strangers going out of their way, I would at least release a press statement thanking the people and giving them any cornerstone that may assist with the search: most frequently taken route and distance, the colour of her shoes and socks etc etc anything that might seem minuscule but can help the search efforts.
Also from The Age article I linked above … Published today

Mick said he hopes everyone who has been involved in the search so far know how grateful the family is for their support. “I just thank them for all their efforts and time that they’re putting into the search for Sam,” he said.

The fact that so many have foliage over them does suggest they wouldn't be used. Police did say in an earlier interview, they put drones down a lot of them.

Samantha knew about the mine shafts and always ran on the tracks according to friends.

There was a gentleman on the ABC who runs a forest rehabilitation with a group, he has lived close there for around 30 years, and he doesn't believe that could happen, he said most are closed over, and the council has gone through and checked them, including some have grates over them secured in so they can't be opened.

He said Council would have a huge liability on their hands, if they weren't secured

The police don't seem to be too interested in this theory, nor about reports of some weirdo hanging around in the bush
They haven't done a sketch of anyone of interest and haven't made a warning announcement for the public to beware when venturing to the bush, etc.

It sounds like they are following a good lead
It sure does sound like they are following a good lead. No pleas or further information from the family either which seems so strange.

Last edited:
Also from The Age article I linked above … Published today

Mick said he hopes everyone who has been involved in the search so far know how grateful the family is for their support. “I just thank them for all their efforts and time that they’re putting into the search for Sam,” he said.
Wasn’t aware, thank you for pointing it out.
I still don’t understand that the family isn’t putting up posters and releasing more information down to the colour of her phone case, any jewellery, most preferred distance and path for jogging etc

Wasn’t aware, thank you for pointing it out.
I still don’t understand that the family isn’t putting up posters and releasing more information down to the colour of her phone case, any jewellery, most preferred distance and path for jogging etc
I suspect it is the police that are withholding that information for some reason ????

Information also gets misconstrued, remember the Caddick Case, all the media reported she was wearing Nikes, but in actual fact she was wearing ASICS ..(Ironically)

IMO

It sure does sound like they are following a good lead. No pleas or further information from the family either which seems so strange.
There has been no new press conference from the detectives in charge of the case or taking questions from reporters and wanting to get information out there to the public. All quiet, something is happening in the background

There is a big ground search happening on Saturday around the area where SM supposedly went missing. This is being organised by volunteers, an Aboriginal bush tracker is even flying in from another state to assist with the search.
I am surprised that the family is still so quiet about this - I understand if they don’t want to speak to the media in person or even if they don’t want to search themselves. But if it was me with a family member missing and strangers going out of their way, I would at least release a press statement thanking the people and giving them any cornerstone that may assist with the search: most frequently taken route and distance, the colour of her shoes and socks etc etc anything that might seem minuscule but can help the search efforts.

They most likely have been told to keep away from the media, shut your mouths about any of this, as the police have probably said to them, we are following numerous important leads, the same reason why the police haven't been doing any updates press conferences. Everything has gone quiet.

The police have their own trackers as well, they have everything they need at their disposal

I suspect it is the police that are withholding that information for some reason ????

Information also gets misconstrued, remember the Caddick Case, all the media reported she was wearing Nikes, but in actual fact she was wearing ASICS ..(Ironically)

IMO
Possibly.

Seems strange that information released is conflicting:

10km/20km walk/ run
Meeting at 10am/11am
No clear indication where she would have gone but then the information MM went looking at Buninyong (which is 20km away)

Why don’t they issue a clear cut media statement, that is then distributed to media (hopefully most people involved in searches use the trustworthy media outlets that don’t construe information) and read out by the police.

I think of Madeline McCann whose parents made many appeals and even pointed out her unusual iris. Of course with an adult being missing it’s less likely they got abducted and are living a life elsewhere.

It still doesn’t make sense to me to not release clearer information. It doesn’t necessarily point to guilt (just as much pleading and making appeals wouldn’t be proof of innocence). IMO it does show some discontent in the wider family.

Possibly.

10km/20km walk/ run
Meeting at 10am/11am
No clear indication where she would have gone but then the information MM went looking at Buninyong (which is 20km away)

Why don’t they issue a clear cut media statement, that is then distributed to media (hopefully most people involved in searches use the trustworthy media outlets that don’t construe information) and read out by the police.

I think of Madeline McCann whose parents made many appeals and even pointed out her unusual iris. Of course with an adult being missing it’s less likely they got abducted and are living a life elsewhere.

It still doesn’t make sense to me to not release clearer information. It doesn’t necessarily point to guilt (just as much pleading and making appeals wouldn’t be proof of innocence). IMO it does show some discontent in the wider family.

There is really nothing that they need to tell the public, though.

Just ... this is what Samantha looked like when she disappeared, this was the last place she was known to be, on this date at this time, her regular run is trails through the Canadian Forest. She is still missing.

imo

I'd be screaming from the rooftop!

Possibly.

10km/20km walk/ run
Meeting at 10am/11am

We'll said

In a missing person case like this, the Police release exactly what information they need to. Also, we, the public probably know less than 1% of what the Police know. I suspect if they needed more specific information, they'd be asking for it.

This Age article (Feb 9th) says that posters have been handed out all around Ballarat. It says the posters show Samantha as she looked that morning, and the more formal photo of Samantha.

but then the information MM went looking at Buninyong (which is 20km away)
BBM

Is this information correct ???

One article states that “they” searched Buninyong … “They” could be the Police…. ??? Searching the last phone ping.. ???

he rang up and reported it and after that they started looking out the other side of Buninyong, which is 20-30km away.'

Or is there another article that states MM himself went to search down in Buninyong the day Samantha went missing???

BBM

Is this information this correct ???

One article states that “they” searched Buninyong … “They” could be the Police…. ??? Searching the last phone ping.. ???

he rang up and reported it and after that they started looking out the other side of Buninyong, which is 20-30km away.'

Or is there another article that states MM himself went to search down in Buninyong the day Samantha went missing???

This is the information I was referring to, might have interpreted it wrong. Thank you for double checking this.

This is the information I was referring to, might have interpreted it wrong. Thank you for double checking this.
There are just so many versions of the story, like the early days of many investigations, that it is hard to know what is correct ???
Sometimes things are correct and sometimes they are not …. Time will usually tell …

That is where the value of a good investigative journalist covering the case becomes so important … IMO

There is really nothing that they need to tell the public, though.

Just ... this is what Samantha looked like when she disappeared, this was the last place she was known to be, on this date at this time, her regular run is trails through the Canadian Forest. She is still missing.

imo
I didn't see where they gave a time (or even a date) for that photo of her holding the dog poo. What was the time then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crunchy Riff