Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Presumably the police know exactly where SM was attacked or hit by car and what may have happened soon after (eg. Did she die, was she taken to a car).
Why wouldn’t the police give the exact location of the attack and provide more information? Is the information too revealing for what happened and could it scare locals? If she died, do the police want to keep the exact location secret as only the killer would know so they can potentially use that information down the track?

Because it might interfere with investigation?
Why did the family members suddenly get the gag order?
The family know much more than the general public about SMs disappearance IMO - they would get regular police updates I'd assume. Without a gag order, the media wolves would pounce to further their careers and derail police progress and possibly successful prosecution IMO

The family know much more than the general public about SMs disappearance IMO - they would get regular police updates I'd assume. Without a gag order, the media wolves would pounce to further their careers and derail police progress and possibly successful prosecution IMO
I hope they do know more, from our outsider perspective it is very frustrating not to know more but I trust the police are doing their jobs well behind the scenes…

I wonder also would there be a media surpression order in place as well, to stop certain info being published? Is this common? How would we know?

I hope they do know more, from our outsider perspective it is very frustrating not to know more but I trust the police are doing their jobs well behind the scenes…

I wonder also would there be a media surpression order in place as well, to stop certain info being published? Is this common? How would we know?

Those working in relevant fields of work would know.

Here is a link to the recent car burnt in Eureka st.
i know from my own neighbourhood that kids who steal cars and commit these type of crimes are linked to drugs/ dealers.

Presumably the police know exactly where SM was attacked or hit by car and what may have happened soon after (eg. Did she die, was she taken to a car).
Why wouldn’t the police give the exact location of the attack and provide more information? Is the information too revealing for what happened and could it scare locals? If she died, do the police want to keep the exact location secret as only the killer would know so they can potentially use that information down the track?

I noticed in an article yesterday this comment by the police ....

Police told NCA NewsWire they would not be elaborating on intelligence received or items found from the case 'unless it is determined this will assist the advancement of the investigation'.

But would they tell us the exact location? I'm not trying to be rude but them telling the public does little to further their investigation all it does is soothe our curiosity for a little while and possibly be a detriment to the case.

I've been thinking about this a lot the last couple of days. The info police have given so far is enough so that if someone from the public saw her or has any info they can let them know. Any other related info serves no purpose to the public. Sure we want to know about the dinner or the brunch or what relationship she had with Mike or if there was an AVO yes police must know these things and I'm sure they do but the general public knowing these things makes no difference to whether Joe Blow drove past her running that day or if Susie down the road gave her a high 5 as they passed each other on the walking track.

Sorry not having a go at anyone just think its something we should keep in mind

My understanding is that S and M have very large grounds to maintain at their home and unlikely they could do it all themselves given they are flat out with their business. Hope that the police have thoroughly checked out anyone employed by them to do gardening, landscaping, maintenance, that sort of thing. Such employment is a perfect opportunity to check out a family without drawing much attention to yourself. My aunty was assaulted and robbed by her gardener and it's a strange thing but I asked her a couple of times beforehand if he'd had a police check. She always said that she felt a bit awkward asking him and that there was probably no need as he wasn't working in the house. Turns out that when he was arrested he had a rap sheet a mile long. I am assuming that the police have all that under control and that they have moved well and truly on from those sort of checks in their extensive and diligent investigation.

I imagine there is a media suppression order. It was obvious to me that Liz Hayes knew a lot more than she was able to say in Under Investigation. And there are so many investigative journalists around these days that the police would not want their case to be in jeopardy. Nobody wants this case to be thrown out of court because we have a need to know. Frustrating, but for a good reason

I imagine there is a media suppression order. It was obvious to me that Liz Hayes knew a lot more than she was able to say in Under Investigation. And there are so many investigative journalists around these days that the police would not want their case to be in jeopardy. Nobody wants this case to be thrown out of court because we have a need to know. Frustrating, but for a good reason
Agree Toowong/s ... do you know whether it is often the case that missing people are declared most likely dead when there is no body and seemingly no evidence at this relatively early stage in an investigation. There are many people missing for years with no body or evidence they are dead and they aren't necessarily declared most likely dead ...

But would they tell us the exact location? I'm not trying to be rude but them telling the public does little to further their investigation all it does is soothe our curiosity for a little while and possibly be a detriment to the case.

I've been thinking about this a lot the last couple of days. The info police have given so far is enough so that if someone from the public saw her or has any info they can let them know. Any other related info serves no purpose to the public. Sure we want to know about the dinner or the brunch or what relationship she had with Mike or if there was an AVO yes police must know these things and I'm sure they do but the general public knowing these things makes no difference to whether Joe Blow drove past her running that day or if Susie down the road gave her a high 5 as they passed each other on the walking track.

Sorry not having a go at anyone just think its something we should keep in mind
If someone was assaulted and taken in an Urban location like Melbourne, I’m pretty sure the police would be telling the public exactly where they believe it happened in order to try and be more specific to possible witnesses.
Maybe they don’t know exactly and can’t be specific. Maybe they believe from the data that she has died at the location and they want to keep that information from anyone as only the killer would know in case someone comes forward with information about what happened. I’m thinking the later.

Agree Toowong/s ... do you know whether it is often the case that missing people are declared most likely dead when there is no body and seemingly no evidence at this relatively early stage in an investigation. There are many people missing for years with no body or evidence they are dead and they aren't necessarily declared most likely dead ...
Sorry ... meant for breakingnews.

If someone was assaulted and taken in an Urban location like Melbourne, I’m pretty sure the police would be telling the public exactly where they believe it happened in order to try and be more specific to possible witnesses.

I think they have been pretty specific. And I think everyone in Victoria (maybe even Australia) knows that Samantha disappeared ....

a) most likely in the Canadian Forest
b) probably even Mt Clear
c) and her phone last pinged in the Buninyong area
d) and she was last seen leaving her home in Eureka Street
e) and everyone knows what Sam looks like
f) and the police clearly want any CCTV and dashcam footage from 7am to 7pm that day, and reports of any suspicious behaviour, damage to a vehicle, damage to property

It should be all that is needed for possible witnesses to come forward, I would think.

imo

Or anyone really who knows more about this issue.
I have never heard police state that someone missing for only a month is likely dead when no body or evidence of murder ...
Would the police have to tell the public if they had a body or evidence of murder or could they suppress that?
I guess that the flatlining watch is their evidence of likely death.

I find it very interesting that MM reported Samantha missing Only two hours after she failed to return home at 9 am
She was reported missing at around 11 am

Normally you would go out and do a good search, get some mates in 4WDs and walk around and have a good look where she might have gone or if she had fallen on the path

And normally you would give it still a couple of hours more, before you carried out a good search, just in case she might have decided to walk back etc, and then after that call the police

but it seems too soon for the police to have been called

The police would be able to track if any calls and messages were made to her phone or friend's phones from him in a worry concern, as there would be numerous calls and messages made

Unless of course he knew she wasn't in there
I agree Nifty!

I think they have been pretty specific. And I think everyone in Victoria (maybe even Australia) knows that Samantha disappeared ....

a) most likely in the Canadian Forest
b) probably even Mt Clear
c) and her phone last pinged in the Buninyong area
d) and she was last seen leaving her home in Eureka Street
e) and everyone knows what Sam looks like
f) and the police clearly want any CCTV and dashcam footage from 7am to 7pm that day, and reports of any suspicious behaviour, damage to a vehicle, damage to property

It should be all that is needed for possible witnesses to come forward, I would think.

imo
My point is around the specificity of the location of the attack - the police’s information about it happening around the 7km mark of her run. Presumably they know the exact location given the electronic devices SM had. Why not be specific about the location, that was my point. What is the reason? Do they not know exactly where it happened or are they holding back as they know SM died at that location and they want that information in their back pocket?

I'm thinking police have more info about a motive. And they may be relying on her watch health data. I think they know the exact time that she died. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soraxtm