Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but many people keep saying the accused won't get parole if police find the body first.
It is up to the Judge, if the accused is found guilty … when it comes to sentencing ….

The Judge can still rule “Life without parole” even if a body is found …

The accused could assist the Police to find Sam’s body, in the way of a plea deal, to attempt to reduce his sentence …

Even if it is the Police that find Sam’s body, the accused could still get parole …. (But may get a longer sentence)

The entire case is taken into consideration by the Judge, when sentencing …

If Police haven’t found the body by the time sentencing roles around … that is when the “no body, no parole” comes into effect …

There are many variables …

IMO

It is up to the Judge, if the accused is found guilty … when it comes to sentencing ….

The Judge can still rule “Life without parole” even if a body is found …

The accused could assist the Police to find Sam’s body, in the way of a plea deal, to attempt to reduce his sentence …

Even if it is the Police that find Sam’s body, the accused could still get parole …. (But may get a longer sentence)

The entire case is taken into consideration by the Judge, when sentencing …

If Police haven’t found the body by the time sentencing roles around … that is when the “no body, no parole” comes into effect …

There are many variables …

IMO
They should add, “no cooperation, no parole”.

Vector.svg

Criminal Defence Lawyers Australia

'Chris Dawson ‘No Body, No Parole’ Laws in Australia​

02/09/2022'

Article author: Criminal Defence Lawyers Australia

Excerpt:
'In contrast, other States and Territories such as Queensland, South Australia and Victoria have no body no parole laws effectively refusing parole to offenders who fail to disclose the remains of the victim’s body.'

I have complied with the rules of copyright of WS by providing the title of the article and the author and providing a link which is not paywalled.
Single quotation marks.
Thank you WS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vs.

What an extraordinary turnaround in sentiment Troops!! If I may say so…. o_O

I admire your willingness to look again, with “new eyes…”. ;) :)

JMO…
Imo, the same sentiments - just portrayed in different ways.

And I agree, this is someone who, at 22, is barely out of ‘boy hood’, holds an electrical qualification & is employed in the family business, has a long term girlfriend, and who’s lawyer is on record as saying he has no mental or drug issues, and has never previously been in custody - however, here he is charged with murdering a 51 year old woman, who was unknown to him, at around 8am one Sunday morning !
Wtf !

They should add, “no cooperation, no parole”.
This would take away an individuals Right To A Fair Trial, as per Australian Law ….

Including the following, but not limited to …..

• right not to testify against oneself: the defendant has a right ‘not to be compelled to testify against himself or to confess guilt’;

• presumption of innocence:the defendant should be presumed innocent until proved guilty—the prosecution therefore bears the onus of proof and must prove guilt beyond reasonable doubt;[22]

The other considerations for a Fair Trial can be found here …

Imo, the same sentiments - just portrayed in different ways.

And I agree, this is someone who, at 22, is barely out of ‘boy hood’, holds an electrical qualification & is employed in the family business, has a long term girlfriend, and who’s lawyer is on record as saying he has no mental or drug issues, and has never previously been in custody - however, here he is charged with murdering a 51 year old woman, who was unknown to him, at around 8am one Sunday morning !
Wtf !

"Not all that glitters is gold."

Allegedly.

JMO

At 01:30 mark, the reporter says "reigniting calls to introduce no body no parole laws in Victoria".

I was under the impression from this forum, that Victoria already had that law. Or have I been reading it wrong?
I was puzzled by this as well. Because I looked up what states a had No Body, No Parole a while ago and those that did were; Qld, Victoria, WA, SA, NT and recently NSW. Nother about Victory changing rules again. Maybe it meant the LE might need to use that law again. Maybe they didn't use it. MOO.

Do we know for a fact that she had headphones/earbuds in? The grainy CCTV image of Samantha in her workout gear does not show any visible headphones/earbuds. We know she had a phone and an Apple watch. Perhaps the phone was also Apple? I don't believe I've seen any mention of headphones/earbuds in any news or police statements. I'm not tech savvy, but I would assume the watch is for tracking her exercise and the phone for making calls if needed? Maybe she preferred the sound of the bush to music while running
Just re the BBM above, this BBC article says ‘Ms Murphy's phone, Apple watch and headphones - which she was carrying at the time - have still not been located.

Samantha Murphy: Man charged with murder of missing Australian woman

And yes, who knows the truth about anything to do with PS, his childhood or otherwise.
There have been so many ‘anonymous’ stories, with comments toward him in both the positive and negative, that I’m disregarding all until I see something from LE, or at least from someone prepared to stand up & put their name too it.

My heart breaks for Samantha’s family, as it does for the family of PS. By all accounts, they are all good people who don’t deserve the horribleness of this occurrence.

I will say that if PS is found guilty of this, he must be locked up for the rest of his life. Someone so young, who can commit murder, thoroughly dispose of body & the evidence, and then carry on as normal for 5 + weeks afterwards, is far too dangerous to be allowed to roam around in society, imo.

The accused's vehicle would have to be used, unless he put her over his shoulder and ran with her

Hair is very hard to get rid of inside a car, it sticks

Saliva as well is hard to see, then you have blood

I just hope there is some good news this week and the police find poor SM

And some more important info coming in

I think about her lying out there somewhere all this time by herself in the elements

Did she suffer ? Was she abused ?

Horrible for a lady to just want to go out and enjoy herself, probably wanted some peace and quiet after a busy work week, keeping fit and going for a quick run,
and then she was going to enjoy the rest of the day with her family
But this dreadful situation happens to her, and It's still unfolding.
Unfairly taken away !
I keep thinking about the police requests all along for people to be on the look out for damaged vehicles - I wonder if PS took his vehicle to a repairer away from Ballarat. … but then how would he explain the absence of his Ute ?

Are kangaroos a problem on roads in that area ? If was in Qld regions it could easily be said he hit a roo.

It is law in Vic, people are now pushing for sentences to be extended if no body is produced.
Can’t see it getting up.
Uumm - I’m not so sure.

I think there’s pressure for an overhaul of our sentencing /punishments / deterrents, which don’t seem to be working, given the increased crime rates across all levels.

It seems that life has now become so cheap & so disposable for many … someone annoys you, someone refuses you, your wife wants a life, your wife wants a divorce, someone muscles in on your crime patch etc. etc. - the solution now is to murder them !
That mentally cannot be allowed to continue its growing curse on our society.

Imo it’s way past time for genuine accountability.

I’m an advocate for improvement. I’d like to see the figures on ‘rehabilitated’ v ‘reoffenders’ who pass through our jails, from juvenile > adult. And I’d like to see the $ cost of these ‘reoffenders’, I’d like to see their rehab program and the consequences of non-participation.

I’m also an advocate for change, and I would bring in the death sentence where there is no doubt.
eg. murders of Sian Kingi Murder of Sian Kingi - Wikipedia
and Daniel Morcombe Brett Peter Cowan - Wikipedia
and many others who are not fit to be cared for, at the expense of good people in our society who can’t get hospital treatment due to overcrowding!

All just my opinion.

I keep thinking about the police requests all along for people to be on the look out for damaged vehicles - I wonder if PS took his vehicle to a repairer away from Ballarat. … but then how would he explain the absence of his Ute ?

Are kangaroos a problem on roads in that area ? If was in Qld regions it could easily be said he hit a roo.
Perhaps there was data gleaned from the phone provider and/or analysis provided by apple that indicated an irregularity on her run. That irregularity may have recorded an impact of some sort or other data that indicated that Sam had been struck by some kind of motor vehicle?

Perhaps there was data gleaned from the phone provider and/or analysis provided by apple that indicated an irregularity on her run. That irregularity may have recorded an impact of some sort or other data that indicated that Sam had been struck by some kind of motor vehicle?

The 2nd generation Apple watch has crash detection (if the user has enabled it). But presumably a person would have to be traveling as fast as a car for this to activate when a 'crash' happened. And Comm Patton has made it clear that they know Sam made her way on foot.

And, as we know, the Apple watch can have fall detection (if the user has enabled it).

I think the accused's vehicle has a roo bar (bull bar) on the front. Link

Maybe Sam's watch picked up a hard fall. And the police have a couple of options. Something happened to Sam at a certain point - in Mt Clear - and it could have been a hit by a person or a hit from a vehicle.

And maybe they think it was deliberate as Sam's heart rate escalated suddenly, then it fell as an incident happened. As if Sam could see something was going to happen, so presumably the perpetrator also knew something was going to happen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member