Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat, 4 Feb 2024 *Arrest* #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Exactly. The police could not possibly be certain of that. IMO that repeated comment from Vicpol was made for a strategic reason.

I am aware that Ballarat has a reasonably large regional population by Australian standards - 130,000.

Nevertheless, I'm not at all convinced that the accused and Samantha did not know each other. My experience having lived in large regional locations informs my opinion. The children of both the Murphy and Stephenson families attended private colleges, and accordingly are likely to have attended functions where these colleges paired up for various events. The children of both families were of similar ages. IMO at the very least, they would have known who those from the other family were. IMO they are likely to have moved in similar circles.

The families both owned and operated businesses in Ballarat, and had done for many years. Quite aside from school-related connections, I find it very difficult to believe that the senior Murphy and Stephenson family members did not know each other. The various business/community related organisations and associated functions would also, in all likelihood bring them into contact over the years.

Additionally Orren Stephenson, the accused's father, played Australian Rules Football for the Richmond Football Club

Samantha was known to be an avid Richmond fan. IMO that is possibly another reason whereby an additional contact between the families may have existed.

All MOO
It’s possible that Samantha also knew his father, perhaps the accused misinterpreted the relationship and sought revenge

It’s possible that Samantha also knew his father, perhaps the accused misinterpreted the relationship and sought revenge
I agree with you Porky1. IMO it's entirely possible that Samantha knew the accused's father - particularly as he was a former AFL player for Richmond, and Samantha was an avid Richmond supporter.

Additionally, the Stephenson family resided in close proximity to the Mt Clear area where Samantha frequently ran, so IMO it's not unreasonable to consider that the accused's father also ran in that area, and he and Samantha could have crossed paths, acknowledging each other as runners often do.

JMO

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaLegend71