Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat, 4 Feb 2024 *Arrest* #12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I wonder what made the police initially ask for CCTV / dash cam up til 7pm?? ( this article is dated 10/2 )

As they announced an on-the-ground search that has canvassed large areas of Ballarat would be scaled back over the weekend, police called on members of the public to submit any CCTV or dashcam footage covering the Ballarat East, Mount Helen and Buninyong areas last Sunday.
Family of missing Ballarat woman Samantha Murphy make emotional plea for her return

“Even if the footage does not depict Samantha, detectives are keen to review all footage in the areas between 7am and 7pm on Sunday, 4 February,” they said in a statement on Saturday.

Last edited:

Police scour treacherous conditions in targeted search for Samantha Murphy’s body​

A scaled-back search into the remains of missing mother Samantha Murphy will resume tomorrow after police wrapped up a targeted operation in the Ballarat area today.​

I wonder what made the police initially ask for CCTV / dash cam up til 7pm?? ( this article is dated 10/2 )

As they announced an on-the-ground search that has canvassed large areas of Ballarat would be scaled back over the weekend, police called on members of the public to submit any CCTV or dashcam footage covering the Ballarat East, Mount Helen and Buninyong areas last Sunday.
Family of missing Ballarat woman Samantha Murphy make emotional plea for her return

“Even if the footage does not depict Samantha, detectives are keen to review all footage in the areas between 7am and 7pm on Sunday, 4 February,” they said in a statement on Saturday.
It does make you wonder why they didn't ask for at least all the daylight hours. Sunset on that day in Ballarat was 8.53pm, and it doesn't get fully dark until 20 minutes or more (roughly) after that time. I wonder how they come to a decision on the time frame for footage in any case? I'd like to think that anyone in the area would check their footage for anything suspicious on that day, and night, regardless of whether it was before or after 7pm.

It does make you wonder why they didn't ask for at least all the daylight hours. Sunset on that day in Ballarat was 8.53pm, and it doesn't get fully dark until 20 minutes or more (roughly) after that time. I wonder how they come to a decision on the time frame for footage in any case? I'd like to think that anyone in the area would check their footage for anything suspicious on that day, and night, regardless of whether it was before or after 7pm.
Yeah the 7pm is odd. Did they, some know how that she had already been moved & all done by than? Did they have PS in their sights back than?

Police scour treacherous conditions in targeted search for Samantha Murphy’s body​

A scaled-back search into the remains of missing mother Samantha Murphy will resume tomorrow after police wrapped up a targeted operation in the Ballarat area today.​

Scaled back? No! I wonder if that means they've covered most of the area in question?
This just makes me feel deflated. I was so hoping today would be the day.

Scaled back? No! I wonder if that means they've covered most of the area in question?
This just makes me feel deflated. I was so hoping today would be the day.
Maybe they were successful in finding whatever they were looking for in this targeted search, maybe tomorrow just needs a particular team? Frustrating as it is, we won’t hear either way.

Seems to me at least possible, that by now, VICPOL has a working concept of how long Stephenson had alone on that Sunday morning. One of the many things we don't know!!... with that parameter, ie. the time available to him without any witness, this is probably the radius they are working within, time = distance= out = back.

Vicpol would have narrowed down the area possible for him to travel, by whatever vehicle, or mode of transport , to dispose of the body, from Mt Clear to the burial site. It appears that VICPOL has decided that he went in a southerly direction, maybe that might change later on.....

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Herbstreit926
Back