Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat, 4 Feb 2024 *Arrest* #12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
They must have some specific intelligence to search here twice. As I have discussed before, it’s usually a location the perp is familiar with. Either camping or motor bike trails. Does anyone know whether he used off road bikes?

Psychologically would you dump a phone in the same direction as a body. I am not sure I would.

They have the great dividing range. Majority of population is coastal or semi coastal.

Inland is all desert

View attachment 533272View attachment 533273
I read this paper and most of the findings are statistically not significant. The idea of dumping a body East was based on 2 extra bodies. No statistical analysis in the paper. Everything else was largely expected. What I note is that the mean dump distance of 16 km is less than the Korean study. I think the fact that Australia is less densely populated means that good dump sites are closer to home.

They must have some specific intelligence to search here twice. As I have discussed before, it’s usually a location the perp is familiar with. Either camping or motor bike trails. Does anyone know whether he used off road bikes?
Not sure about an off road bike, but around the 47 second mark his neighbour mentions PS coming and going on his motorbike and having an army uniform.

Psychologically would you dump a phone in the same direction as a body. I am not sure I would.
Yes, if I was in a hurry and knew people would be looking for me before too long, I’d just want to be rid of it all asap.
That dam looks to be the first dam situated right beside the south bound side of the road as you drive out of town. It’s a good choice really if you want to dump and run, as you could pull over easily, not be seen, and throw things under the thick bushes and over the fence into the water within a minute or two and be on your way down the road.
I’m doubtful he had the privilege of taking his time solely due to him knowing someone (his partner, friends and/or family) would soon notice his absence.

Yes, if I was in a hurry and knew people would be looking for me before too long, I’d just want to be rid of it all asap.
That dam looks to be the first dam situated right beside the south bound side of the road as you drive out of town. It’s a good choice really if you want to dump and run, as you could pull over easily, not be seen, and throw things under the thick bushes and over the fence into the water within a minute or two and be on your way down the road.
I’m doubtful he had the privilege of taking his time solely due to him knowing someone (his partner, friends and/or family) would soon notice his absence.
How do you know he was short on time? We know that a gap of at least 9 hours between murder and dumping the phone. It may have been even longer. Did he really keep the body in his car for 9 hours?

Well, he’s in jail so he wasn’t that incredibly careful.
Seems like they have loads of video evidence which led to him and then physical evidence that he killed her.
Also he was sloppy and now they have her undamaged phone too.
He’s just lucky they haven’t found her yet.
Praying that they are indeed closer and that they find her soon.
All IMHO

Agreed. Sometimes perps just get lucky - especially in non-urban areas where finding a body in a shallow grave can be needle in a haystack time.

How do you know he was short on time? We know that a gap of at least 9 hours between murder and dumping the phone. It may have been even longer. Did he really keep the body in his car for 9 hours?
I of course don’t know. Just like you don’t know that there was a gap of at least 9 hours between murder and dumping the phone. 22 year old girlfriends though, tend to want to know where their boyfriends are, especially if they live with them.

Last edited:
Are you sure that the phone was underwater? It didn't seem to be underwater in the photos of the police finding it.
Also, the phone is IP67 rated so will continue to ping for a short while when submerged.
Ip67 waterproofs the phone. Microwaves don’t penetrate water hence no ping., no signal. The camera will work underwater. The dam level had fallen significantly. Yes it was underwater.

Ip67 waterproofs the phone. Microwaves don’t penetrate water hence no ping., no signal. The camera will work underwater. The dam level had fallen significantly. Yes it was underwater.
How do you know the phones an Ip67?
How do you also know it was underwater?
How are you privy to all of this knowledge whilst the rest of us are simply guessing?

I don't think it has ever been confirmed that there was a phone ping at 5pm?
Even if it is correct, there's no way of knowing if that 5pm ping was before or after the phone had been chucked.

We also don't know if it was the phone that pinged, or if Sam had a newer model Apple watch with an eSIM. An eSIM also pings the network.

Apple Watch GPS vs. Cellular
... the eSIM several times per minute connects to the host network plus pings all the other networks around (from Quora forum)

And her phone was found quite close to the edge of that dam. At the time the phone was discarded, it may not have been in water.

imo

How do you know the phone pinged at 5pm?
Correct me if I’m wrong but VicPol has never shared that.
1727386903587.png

What phone 'pings' can tell us in the Samantha Murphy case

1727386903597.png
Herald Sun
https://www.heraldsun.com.au › news-story

Mar 5, 2024 — There were initial reports Ms Murphy's phone pinged off the Buninyong tower at 5pm on the day she was doing a 14km jogging course.

This isn't paywalled...
Initial reports claimed Ms Murphy's phone pinged off the Buninyong tower at 5pm on the day she went missing. However, that information, which remains to be confirmed, came in 10 hours after she had left for her run.Mar 3, 2024

Phone twist in search for missing mum Samantha Murphy​

not really sure if the 5pm was "confirmed" or there was a data delay or what.... there were sources saying 5p.m. at the outset

Last edited:
View attachment 533722

What phone 'pings' can tell us in the Samantha Murphy case

View attachment 533723
Herald Sun
https://www.heraldsun.com.au › news-story

Mar 5, 2024 — There were initial reports Ms Murphy's phone pinged off the Buninyong tower at 5pm on the day she was doing a 14km jogging course.

I think we have all read that. We just don't know where the "initial reports" came from - the source - because the police have never confirmed any ping time. Not in their press releases, not in their pressers, nowhere that we can find.

We do know that Sam's uncle was speaking to the media, before the police asked him to stop doing that. So the ping time could be 3rd or 4th or 5th hand information, which can be distorted.

imo

Last edited:
I think we have all read that. We just don't know where the "initial reports' came from - the source - because the police have never confirmed any ping time. Not in their press releases, not in their pressers, nowhere that we can find.

IMO,
it was a "leak".
Because why would Press write it?
Why would they write about this particular time?
(Very specific 5 PM)

I personally remember reading this info in more than one early reports in MSM.

Police sometimes don't officially confirm some info appearing in Press.

But, of course, I might be wrong.

JMO

Last edited:
IMO,
it was a "leak".
Because why would Press write it?
Why would they write about this particular time?
(Very specific 5 PM)

I personally remember reading this info in more than one early reports in MSM.

Police sometimes don't officially confirm some info appearing in Press.

But, of course, I might be wrong.

JMO

To me, it is like the info from Sam's uncle that 'all the towers were out that day, everything was going through Buninyong'.

Which towers were out?
Did Sam and PS have the same phone service provider, or did they have different providers?
Were the towers out (except Buninyong) for Sam's phone service provider, but not for PS' service provider?
How far reaching were the towers out?
Did a tower(s) on the other side of Enfield State Park still have service, and was able to pick up PS' phone pinging in the park's direction?

In other words, it is incomplete information. Did Sam's phone (and/or watch) ping up until 5pm-ish, then stop. Did it have a solitary ping that afternoon? Was it 5pm, was it earlier? Or did the towers come back on at 5pm-ish and it pinged? And if the info came from Sam's uncle, was it correct - or did it filter through Mick, then Sam's dad, to Sam's uncle?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Herbstreit926
Back