SBI probe into possible juror misconduct

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
With this case, I have learned not to make any predictions. I am interested in why you think the timing of this becoming public would be a whole different situation. Leaking information about the trial (if that indeed happened) is the same whenever it happens or becomes public knowledge. Do you mean that at this stage you think JS won't do anything but let the appealate courts sort it out if it is determined that there was jury misconduct? Just curious.

JMO, If it was that easy to have a 1st degree murder conviction thrown out none would stand. After a verdict has been reached it is very hard to overturn. JS jumped right on it and did what he wa s supposed to. I await the resolution, JY will not get another trial. IMOO?

http://www2.nbc17.com/news/2012/mar...-jason-young-juror-possible-misco-ar-2010958/

Raleigh attorney Hart Miles says it is unlikely the matter would cause the case to be tried for a third time.

"It's unlikely," Miles said. "Judge Stephens will make sure there is a thorough inquiry. But it's in his discretion. There has to be substantial prejudice for the verdict to be set aside."

that's what I've been reading too Talina. :)

I heard IS re-interview the foreperson of the jury yesterday and she said it was a small jury room where they all just fit at the table and she knows nobody was using their cell phones during the actual deliberations. She also said she had not received her letter as of yet but was confident in her fellow jurors that they took this too seriously to have broken the rules.

did anyone else hear that interview?

In Remmer v. U.S., the United States Supreme Court first established the basic rule on external communications with jurors, stating:[A]ny private communication, contact, or tampering directly or indirectly, with a juror during a trial about the matter pending before the jury is, for obvious reasons, deemed presumptively prejudicial, if not made in pursuance of known rules of the court and the instructions and directions of the court made during the trial, with full knowledge of the parties. The presumption is not conclusive, but the burden rests heavily upon the Government to establish, after notice to and hearing of the defendant, that such contact with the juror was harmless to the defendant.
The Court later receded from the presumption of prejudice took the view that a party alleging improper juror communications must demonstrate actual prejudice. In Smith v. Phillips, the Court observed:
[D]ue process does not require a new trial every time a juror has been placed in a potentially compromising situation. Were that the rule, few trials would be constitutionally acceptable…t is virtually impossible to shield jurors from every contact or influence that might theoretically affect their vote. Due process means a jury capable and willing to decide the case solely on the evidence before it, and a trial judge ever watchful to prevent prejudicial occurrences and to determine the effect of such occurrences when they happen. The party raising the alleged external communication must show by competent evidence that the extrajudicial communication was more than a mere innocuous intervention. If this burden is satisfied, the other party must then prove that there is no reasonable possibility that the jury’s verdict was influenced by the communication. The question is whether there was any contact, communication, or tampering, directly or indirectly, with a juror during trial about a matter that was before the jury.

http://www.thefederation.org/documents/18.Juror Misconduct and Social Media-Kiernan.pdf

IMO, I think alot of things have got took out of context regarding what these jurors talked about!!

IMO, I think alot of things have got took out of context regarding what these jurors talked about!!

Which is precisely why many of them do not speak publicly after a verdict. I can't say that I blame them.

I like seeing them all together, being questioned as a group, where a question is asked - one will answer, another will expound, another will clarify, etc.

There is no room for all of what is going on right now with varying recants of this count, that count, this consideration, that, etc. One person's reason for something might be totally different and not even considered by the other. Now, with this misconduct investigation, everything any of them say is going to be parsed word by word looking for something out of place.

I think they should just all be quiet now until this investigation is concluded. Not because of hiding anything but just to keep their comments and recitals of the process they went through from being misquoted, out of context, etc. They can give all their interviews in a few weeks.

IMO

Hmmm....

Comments taken out of context. Media takes snippets of something said and turns it into a pithy headline. People read the media reports and think it's gospel. Or they watch the news snippet and hear a few words and nuance the meaning and start a diatribe on that. It's like a world of Emily Litellas (Gilda Radner/SNL reference for those confused).

People clamor for jurors to talk and give their thoughts. Then, when jurors do just that, their comments are parsed and the verbal attacks begin.

Typical and Expected. :rolleyes:

We live in a world in which the average attention span is less than the length of a Twitter message (140 characters or less). Comprehension is somewhere around a 6th grade level.

Knowing how selective hearing works and how statements get twisted, I stand by my assertion I would remain silent and never speak about my verdict in any case.

Hmmm....

Comments taken out of context. Media takes snippets of something said and turns it into a pithy headline. People read it and think it's gospel.

Typical.

:rolleyes:

I've noticed a lot of news reports where the reporter says "jurors" instead of "a juror" which is bugging me a lot.

if you are posting about anything other than the sbi investigation into facebook postings and your post is no longer here it was moved to the other thread.

I think it's pointless to argue about what **advertiser censored* juror may have said when giving an interview about *their* verdict in this case. JMO I think all that does is muddy the water and result in yet more rumor and innuendo. After all, these people aren't professional speakers. They aren't accustomed to being interviewed on TV. Their words taken out of context, etc. I prefer to wait for the SBI investigation to conclude and hear their findings. JMO. I'm content in the knowledge that the killer is behind bars where he belongs, and none of us know anything more about this, nor will we until the investigation is complete. MOO

I think it's pointless to argue about what **advertiser censored* juror may have said when giving an interview about *their* verdict in this case. JMO I think all that does is muddy the water and result in yet more rumor and innuendo. After all, these people aren't professional speakers. They aren't accustomed to being interviewed on TV. Their words taken out of context, etc. I prefer to wait for the SBI investigation to conclude and hear their findings. JMO. I'm content in the knowledge that the killer is behind bars where he belongs, and none of us know anything more about this, nor will we until the investigation is complete. MOO

Can anyone give an educated statement as to how long this investigation could last. Are there any precedents to research? tia

I've noticed a lot of news reports where the reporter says "jurors" instead of "a juror" which is bugging me a lot.
Correct terminatrixator. . .Take this headline:

Jurors: Lacking physical evidence pointed to Jason Young's guilt

^^How is the general public to interpret this headline, if I am reading it correctly, it states there was no physical evidence, therefore, jurors found JY guilty, it’s sensationalism, media wants to keep the story in the news.

The public feeds on this and spins yet more of their own headlines to fit their own misguided theories, lol. . .go figure.

Can anyone give an educated statement as to how long this investigation could last. Are there any precedents to research? tia

There was an article someone quoted yesterday saying it could be a few days or a few weeks. The juror issue in the Cooper trial took a morning to resolve. It really just depends on how quickly SBI can get the things they need to get.

My *guess* is that the Judge will inform the attorneys on either side of the outcome in chambers (i.e. no press). If it's nothing, then we'll likely get an article saying it was nothing, and that'll be it. If it's something, the Judge may hold a hearing for the motion for mistrial (since it will all need to be on record). That would likely be televised, if wral gets advance notice.

I don't know of any precedent in recent time in NC. It just doesn't happen too often here.

Jurors shouldn't be allowed to talk to the media without an attorney, lol.

There was an article someone quoted yesterday saying it could be a few days or a few weeks. The juror issue in the Cooper trial took a morning to resolve. It really just depends on how quickly SBI can get the things they need to get.

My *guess* is that the Judge will inform the attorneys on either side of the outcome in chambers (i.e. no press). If it's nothing, then we'll likely get an article saying it was nothing, and that'll be it. If it's something, the Judge may hold a hearing for the motion for mistrial (since it will all need to be on record). That would likely be televised, if wral gets advance notice.

I don't know of any precedent in recent time in NC. It just doesn't happen too often here.

Thanks, Wolfpack.. I can't find any precedent in recent times in NC either. I would think this might take more than a few days to be honest. MOO

Jurors shouldn't be allowed to talk to the media without an attorney, lol.

That actually happens a lot! And I've been in a few cases where people who aren't even a party in a case will bring an attorney, if they have to get on the stand!

I was one of those saying the jurors should speak out, because I was interested. I truly appreciate their honesty and integrity in the process. And one thing I can't do is malign how they got to their verdict.

I have stayed out of this SBI probe thread because of exactly what you wrote Glee. I will read on here and certainly follow along with the news but until the SBI completes their investigation and makes it public none of us knows anything for certain. I don't like that this issue has arisen but I'm going to take it with a grain of salt until or unless the investigation creates the need for a retrial--which I doubt.

IMO the news media and talking heads do more harm then good by spreading yet more rumors, when they too, don't know any more then the rest of us. And often times they get things all wrong. Unless and until the investigation is complete, they should simply report there *is* an investigation ongoing, and not speculate as to what *they* think happened or didn't happen. All that does is malign this jury further, IMO, spread more rumors, and single out jurors when they have no idea what they are reporting is true or false. MOO I long for the days of the original Court TV, when the coverage was far more complete, commercials were taken at appropriate places in the trial/testimony, and the cases didn't turn into media events, but rather a way for we common citizens to observe the trial process. These days it's become like sporting events, people cheering on one side or the other. MOO

There are really two separate issues (or topics).

1. The SBI probe into possible juror communication to someone during the deliberation process.

2. The jurors' public comments and interviews about how each of them reached their G verdict and what the process was like for them.

These two things have gotten munged together as if there is some misconduct about how the jurors came to their guilty verdict.

The only issue being investigated by the SBI is if any juror communicated to someone outside the jury during their deliberations, as claimed by a friend of a hairdresser of a juror on Facebook.

The jurors' arrival at their verdict is not under investigation, though their comments are being publicly attacked on some mainstream and social media sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kellieshoes