SC - 5 dead, inc. Dr Robert Lesslie & 2 children in shooting, Rock Hill, Apr 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Oh my that it heart breaking. The parents of the children must be just destroyed. I guess Adams had been treated by Dr. Lesslie at some point, so I am guessing he was upset about something related to that. But how on Earth someone can shoot innocent little children is something I will never understand. I wonder if Adams had gotten addicted to pain medication due to his numerous injuries. Just speculation.

I wonder if Adams had gotten addicted to pain medication due to his numerous injuries. Just speculation.

I imagine that it is a very real possibility.

Good grief- even with the injuries, the absolute minimum wage for a player in the NFL is $610,000 per year.

My general understanding is that actually collecting on an NFL contract can be contingent on whether the player finishes the season and if so, in what status the player finishes in.

Even taking possibilities of a reduced contract, Adams played in 78 games over a six year period. It it appears that he was completing full seasons with one exception. He seems to also have been actively playing during most of those seasons- not just being on the team roster and playing in theory.

In short, it is very possible that Adams earned far more than enough money in those 6 years to live a very comfortable life in rural South Carolina.

Likewise, got cut by the NFL? Head north to the CFL for a re-boot. Sure, the salaries are far smaller, but you can still play football- and maybe rejoin the NFL.

Yet, despite all that, he murders five people?

Last edited:

Good grief- even with the injuries, the absolute minimum wage for a player in the NFL is $610,000 per year.

My general understanding is that actually collecting on an NFL contract can be contingent on whether the player finishes the season and if so, in what status the player finishes in.

Even taking possibilities of a reduced contract, Adams played in 78 games over a six year period. It it appears that he was completing full seasons with one exception. He seems to also have been actively playing- not just on the roster and playing in theory.

In short, it is very possible that Adams earned far more than enough money in those 6 years to live a very comfortable life in rural South Carolina.

Yet, despite that, he murders five people?
I don't think he had played for a few years. Due to injuries. I do think they get a sort of pension as well. I see that his father issued a statement saying he thinks Adam's football injuries are a factor. Very sad.

Even taking possibilities of a reduced contract, Adams played in 78 games over a six year period. It it appears that he was completing full seasons with one exception. He seems to also have been actively playing during most of those seasons- not just being on the team roster and playing in theory.

Likewise, got cut by the NFL? Head north to the CFL for a re-boot. Sure, the salaries are far smaller, but you can still play football- and maybe rejoin the NFL.

I am not sure that money prevents someone becoming a murderer.

I don't think he had played for a few years. Due to injuries. I do think they get a sort of pension as well. I see that his father issued a statement saying he thinks Adam's football injuries are a factor. Very sad.
Even with not having played recently, his earnings would have been enormous by the standards of ordinary people:

Lets say he had 5 complete seasons at the bare minimum NFL wage. That still equates to 3.05 million dollars. Then factor in say, a season at half wages and the total rises to 3.66 million dollars- plus as you say, the possibility of a pension.

Likewise, got cut by the NFL? Head north to the CFL for a re-boot. Sure, the salaries are far smaller, but you can still play football- and maybe rejoin the

If the address on 4280 Marshall Rd attributed to him is correct...it’s a modest home for someone who had many years of that earning power.
Realtor.com reference.

If the address on 4280 Marshall Rd attributed to him is correct...it’s a modest home for someone who had many years of that earning power.
Realtor.com reference.

Maybe he wasted his income on high living?

There is a chance that my rough estimate is high. But in the end, it does look like he was playing games and playing in complete seasons. This seems to reinforce high income potential.

Just as background, the minimum salary was about half that ten years ago, but you are absolutely right that he would have earned enough to have a nice quality of life - had he saved and budgeted, etc. Contracts cover 17 weeks of the season and a minimum salary contract player earns 1/17 of that salary for each week he is on the roster. (I did this for a living once upon a time.) So at the very least he was likely earning at least $300,000 a year. The problem is that the majority of these players, especially lower end roster guys often squander it away like they are making Tom Brady money or like a veteran on his second contract. They are young guys making more money than they often grew up with and have no idea how to handle. Everyone and their mama has a hand out wanting a house or bills paid. And they don't always know how - or that they can say no. A lot of people come out of the woodwork saying, "I helped you get here." Especially the drafted players. You would be shocked at how many go bankrupt by the age of 23 and can't even pay their electric bills. He had a lot of injuries and bounced around a lot to different teams.

And so many times, this was the only marketable skill they had focused on and football ends and they are lost. That said - so do many, many, many players and the majority of them don't commit crimes or mass shootings.

I'm also suspecting some kind of addiction or CTE or was he just some kind of sociopath, a la Aaron Hernandez. Would be interested to read team scouting reports, if there were any signs way back then.

But those poor victims whose paths crossed with this. It is tragic.

Former NFL player Phillip Adams battled concussions and was arrested before 'murder-suicide' | Daily Mail Online

• Phillip Adams battled concussion problems during his NFL career before allegedly killing five people in South Carolina and committing suicide Thursday
  • Adams's father Alonzo said he blames football for what happened to his 32-year-old son: 'I can say he's a good kid. I think football messed him up'
  • Phillip suffered at least two concussions while playing for the Oakland Raiders in 2015, although he curiously missed only one game because of the brain injuries
  • He was later asked by Raiders.com to describe what was going through his head on the play in 2012: 'I don't know. I couldn't tell you... I was kind of woozy'
  • Adams was arrested for assault and battery in 2009 but he was not convicted

Also in Daily Mail link above:

Before turning pro, Adams was arrested for misdemeanor assault and battery in 2009, although he was not convicted. He was also arrested in Charlotte for carrying a concealed gun in 2016.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces
Back