SC - 5 dead, inc. Dr Robert Lesslie & 2 children in shooting, Rock Hill, Apr 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
FYI — the DEA has made recent changes in regards to controlled substances (prescriptions must be submitted to the pharmacy electronically now). I only know this because I’m prescribed Adderall. I don’t know when this policy went/goes into effect (my dr might be preparing in advance) because I only see him every three months. I just saw him a few weeks ago, and that was my first visit with him since December.

Point being — this change will make it nearly impossible to forge prescriptions and could also discourage physicians from overprescribing controlled substances.

I’m so sorry to serial post but I’m fighting tears. Seriously. This is just too damn much to handle. Why?...

After the shooting, Robert Lesslie's website administrator posted on his Facebook page with words that Lesslie had written in his book:

“One day, when I depart this body and find myself in the presence of the Lord, my time, however it will be measured, will be filled with the praises and the wonder of Jesus," he wrote. "I know that I will once again be able to hug my mother and walk and talk with my father. There are a lot of people I want to see as well — family and friends, grandparents, some of whom I never met on this side."

"We have no idea what Heaven will look like, only that it will be perfect," he continued. "I will find myself walking with Barbara in a field of lush, green grass, surrounded by gently rising conifer-cloaked hills."
Phillip Adams: Robert Lesslie, family dead in South Carolina shooting
*These siblings illustrate immeasurable classic grace. How they must be grieving and mourning at this very moment. A treasure chest full of hope, love and peace was waiting on you, Barbara and Robert. RIP dear ones.

Last edited:
FYI — the DEA has made recent changes in regards to controlled substances (prescriptions must be submitted to the pharmacy electronically now). I only know this because I’m prescribed Adderall. I don’t know when this policy went/goes into effect (my dr might be preparing in advance) because I only see him every three months. I just saw him a few weeks ago, and that was my first visit with him since December.

Point being — this change will make it nearly impossible to forge prescriptions and could also discourage physicians from overprescribing controlled substances.
Mandatory E-Prescribing Law
Act 65 of 2019 added Section 44-53-360(j) to the South Carolina Controlled Substances Act (Title 44, Chapter 53 of the South Carolina Code of Laws) that requires practitioners to electronically prescribe controlled substances, unless they fall under one of the exemptions.

The mandatory e-prescribing law is effective as of January 1, 2021, and is provided below. Practitioners with questions about whether they fall under one of the exemptions should consult their attorney.
Drug Control Laws Effective as of January 1, 2021 | SCDHEC

I see that the killer was a former NFL player. I wonder if he was being treated by the doctor for any of the residual effects ...head injuries etc...from pro football. But why the little children...and the poor soul just there, working for the family?

Eliminating witnesses is my guess.

Haven't read the whole thread, but I wonder if maybe the suspect wanted drugs that the doctor refused to prescribe for him?

Mandatory E-Prescribing Law
Act 65 of 2019 added Section 44-53-360(j) to the South Carolina Controlled Substances Act (Title 44, Chapter 53 of the South Carolina Code of Laws) that requires practitioners to electronically prescribe controlled substances, unless they fall under one of the exemptions.

The mandatory e-prescribing law is effective as of January 1, 2021, and is provided below. Practitioners with questions about whether they fall under one of the exemptions should consult their attorney.
Drug Control Laws Effective as of January 1, 2021 | SCDHEC
Thanks for the link! So, I guess it’s not a federal law but one enforced by the state of SC. (I think it’s a pretty smart one, though!)

Universal health care also does that. Health providers overservicing are flagged.

Phillip Adams football: Ex-NFL player's 'mental health degraded fast'

“His mental health degraded fast and terribly bad,’’ Lauren Adams told USA TODAY Sports of Phillip Adams, a cornerback who played in the NFL between 2010 and 2015. “There was unusual behavior. I’m not going to get into all that (symptoms). We definitely did notice signs of mental illness that was extremely concerning, that was not like we had ever seen.

About 18 months ago, as things deteriorated, Phillip Adams would not tell family where he lived before he recently moved back with his parents in Rock Hill, according to his sister.

As things got progressively worse, she said, her brother neglected his hygiene and withdrew from people.

Two weeks ago and family gathered for a funeral and Lauren Adams said her brother talked about having applied for disability benefits with the NFL.

“I know he had been applying for disability and he said they were making it hard for him,’’ Lauren Adams said. “And towards the end he felt like they were trying to basically stiff him on money.”

Phillip Adams football: Ex-NFL player's 'mental health degraded fast'

“His mental health degraded fast and terribly bad,’’ Lauren Adams told USA TODAY Sports of Phillip Adams, a cornerback who played in the NFL between 2010 and 2015. “There was unusual behavior. I’m not going to get into all that (symptoms). We definitely did notice signs of mental illness that was extremely concerning, that was not like we had ever seen.

About 18 months ago, as things deteriorated, Phillip Adams would not tell family where he lived before he recently moved back with his parents in Rock Hill, according to his sister.

As things got progressively worse, she said, her brother neglected his hygiene and withdrew from people.

Two weeks ago and family gathered for a funeral and Lauren Adams said her brother talked about having applied for disability benefits with the NFL.

“I know he had been applying for disability and he said they were making it hard for him,’’ Lauren Adams said. “And towards the end he felt like they were trying to basically stiff him on money.”

About 18 months ago, as things deteriorated?
That makes it sound like things had been going on for years.
Where had he been living? Had he been a transient prior to moving in with his parents?
Had he not worked since April 2016?
It mentions a smoothie shop - was it in Rock Hill?

17 min (8.3 mi) via US-21 S

He supposedly moved home from Ft Mill. This is the distance between Ft Mill SC and Rock Hill SC. For some reason, even though he lived so close to his family, the sister reports that they hadn’t seen him in 18 months and did not know where he lived. There’s probably a lot more to this story to come out.

‘About 18 months ago, as things deteriorated, Phillip Adams would not tell family where he lived before he recently moved back with his parents in Rock Hill, according to his sister.’ Interview with sister in USA Today.

• Phillip Adams

• To see the rest of the Phillip Adams' contract breakdowns, & gain access to all of Spotrac's Premium tools, sign up today. Already Subscribed? Login Here

atl2.png
    2015-2015

CONTRACT:1 yr(s) / $745,000 SIGNING BONUS- AVERAGE SALARY$745,000 GTD AT SIGN:- TOTAL GTD:- FREE AGENT:2016 / UFA

sea1.png
    2014-2014

CONTRACT:1 yr(s) / $795,000 SIGNING BONUS$25,000 AVERAGE SALARY$795,000 GTD AT SIGN:- TOTAL GTD:$25,000 FREE AGENT:2015 / UFA

oak1.png
    2013-2013

CONTRACT:1 yr(s) / $775,000 SIGNING BONUS$65,000 AVERAGE SALARY$775,000 GTD AT SIGN:- TOTAL GTD:$65,000 FREE AGENT:2014 / UFA

sea1.png
    2012-2012

CONTRACT:1 yr(s) / $540,000 SIGNING BONUS- AVERAGE SALARY$540,000 GTD AT SIGN:- TOTAL GTD:- FREE AGENT:2013 / UFA

sf.png
    2010-2013ENTRY LEVEL

CONTRACT:4 yr(s) / $1,848,000 SIGNING BONUS$57,848 AVERAGE SALARY$462,000 GTD AT SIGN:$57,848 TOTAL GTD:$57,848 FREE AGENT:2014 / UFA

Last edited:
Adams made a lot of money in a short period of years. Where did it all go? His agent said he had no drug or alcohol problem. He doesn’t seem to have been married and divorced.

Where was he in those 18 months before moving home? Where was this juice bar he opened...in Ft Mill? Why all the mystery?

Does a mental health issue prevent people from getting guns?
My understanding is that in theory, yes. But in practice, usually not.

I am generally aware that being placed on the "no buy" list for mental health reasons is difficult and includes a formal diagnosis of a severe mental illness. Being a "type A" guy with a temper and mood swings does not mean a person is mentally ill.

It may also include say, the formal diagnosis of a less severe mental illness in conjunction with an officially documented refusal to obtain treatment etc.

In the end, formal diagnosis takes time and a willingness of the individual to submit to an examination or a court to order it. Likewise, being officially documented as having refused treatment also takes time. Then factor in complications like: "He is participating in treatment- well, to a relative degree").

Adams made a lot of money in a short period of years. Where did it all go? His agent said he had no drug or alcohol problem. He doesn’t seem to have been married and divorced.

Where was he in those 18 months before moving home? Where was this juice bar he opened...in Ft Mill? Why all the mystery?

An expensive apartment rental in uptown Charlotte perhaps? New expensive fast cars?
Reported as being a loner - doesn’t sound like he was partying in the clubs with his friends?

I think his issues started when his last season playing football ended in 2015, when he wasn’t picked up to play for a team.

Maybe he thought it would last a lot longer or he got caught up in all that money and he couldn’t handle it ending. He didn’t have a plan on what to do when football fizzled out and turned into a bitter angry young man who blamed football for causing his troubles.

JMO

Last edited:
Adams made a lot of money in a short period of years. Where did it all go? His agent said he had no drug or alcohol problem.

As member SCDV stated..... the money can, just well.... "go":

- Players come from backgrounds where money management skills are few and far between.
- New players cant differentiate between themselves and long lived super stars like Tom Brady- then start spending like Brady.
- Players are constantly approached by family, friends, friends of friends and people "from the neighborhood" with endless "needs", wants and favors.

Then factor in things that impact everybody- it costs alot to live in Seattle, San Francisco and Oakland.

Also, though I have a very limited understanding of NFL contracts, I believe there can be a difference from being offered say, 750K per year and actually collecting the full amount.

Adams did seem to play regularly and also seems to of played full seasons. But as Scdv also noted, moved from team to team and had injuries. Perhaps that reduced his ability to collect the full contract amounts?

Last edited:
My heart goes out to all of Dr. Lesslie's family, especially the parents of the two children whose little lives were torn away from them. Unimaginable grief.

And also to the loved ones of the HVAC employee, James Lewis, father of three who was murdered as well at the scene. Hoping greatly that the sixth victim, Robert Shook, survives.

This is all so unfathomable and heart-breaking.

Phillip Adams: Robert Lesslie, family dead in South Carolina shooting

Excerpt:

Who are the victims?
Dr. Robert Lesslie, 70, Barbara Lesslie, 69, and their grandchildren Adah Lesslie, 9, and Noah Lesslie, 5, were pronounced dead at the scene, according to the York County coroner's office.

James Lewis, 38, was found dead outside. Lewis was working at the home at the time, police said.

The sixth victim is Robert Shook, who is in very critical condition, Tolson said. He is an employee of GSM Services, the HVAC company where Lewis was also employed.

Last edited:
“I know without a doubt that life is fragile,” the 70-year-old doctor wrote in one of his books, a collection of missives he termed “inspiring true stories” from his medical work. “I have come to understand that humility may be the greatest virtue. And I am convinced we need to take the time to say the things we deeply feel to the people we deeply care about.”

“Life is uncertain. Things happen. Lives are unexpectedly changed or ended. And it happens suddenly,” he wrote in his online blog entry. ...

“When I talk about angels, I do believe that God ministers to us in a lot of different ways,” Lesslie said. “I don’t write about wings and halos and that kind of thing, but I do believe that God does speak to us through his spirit - and through other people.”

In a Thursday message to congregants, pastors from the Lesslies’ church, First Associate Reformed Presbyterian Rock Hill, wrote that all four of the Lesslies “are in the presence of Jesus and worshipping Him face to face. One day we will see them again. Therefore, we can grieve as those who have hope.”
Slain South Carolina doctor wrote of faith, life's fragility

Personal Statement from the Lesslie Family – Robert Lesslie

April 8, 2021

The four Lesslie siblings wrote this statement:

On behalf of the Lesslie, Alexander, and Kulbok clans, we would like to address the outpouring of heartbreak, shock, grief, and support from our family, friends, and community.We are truly in the midst of the unimaginable. The losses we are suffering cannot be uttered at this time.

While we know there are no answers that will satisfy the question “why,” we are sure of one thing: we do not grieve as those without hope. Our hope is found in the promise of Jesus Christ, and we are enveloped by peace that surpasses all understanding. To that end, our hearts are bent toward forgiveness and peace. Toward love and connectedness. Toward celebration and unity. We honor all of those involved in this story with prayers and compassion specifically for the Shook family, the Lewis family, and the Adams family.

As Robert Lesslie would say, when peace like a river attendeth my way, when sorrows like sea billows roll, it is well with my soul.

If you would like to do something for the family,

Adah and Noah would want you to stock the free pantries and libraries in your community.

Barbara and Robert would want you to be good stewards of what you are given, leaving every place better than it was before you got there.

Adah, Noah, Barbara, Robert, and the rest of the family would ask any memorials or gifts to be sent to Camp Joy in honor of hope and the promise of eternity.

Camp Joy North Carolina
918 South Pleasantburg Dr.
Greenville, SC 29607

-The Lesslie, Alexander, and Kulbok Families

Autopsy reports are pending. When asked whether Adams' autopsy would include an examination of his brain or whether he suffered from Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE), Wendy Bailey, a case manager and evidence technician for the York County coroner's office, told USA TODAY that "Normal forensic autopsies do not identify CTE injuries, however we are researching options to include this study."
Phillip Adams, South Carolina shooting: Police search for motive

Adams often isolated himself, even as a player, his agent, Scott Casterline, told the AP. Casterline said he spoke regularly with Adams’ father, who left him a voicemail Wednesday morning.

“This is so unlike him. He had to not be in his right mind, obviously,” Casterline said, adding that Adams struggled away from the game.

“He had an injury his rookie year. Some teams wrote him off and he had that stigma of a guy who was hurt,” Casterline said. “It was hard for him to walk away from the game, especially a guy as dedicated as he was.”

“We encouraged him to explore all of his disability options and he wouldn’t do it,” Casterline added. “I knew he was hurting and missing football but he wouldn’t take health tips offered to him. He said he would but he wouldn’t.”

Cowboys cornerback Kevin Smith, who trained Adams, said the former NFL player had opened a shop selling smoothies before COVID-19 hit. Both he and Casterline emphasized Adams didn’t drink or do drugs.
Authorities: NFL player Phillip Adams killed 5, then himself

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sleutherson90
Back