SC - Columbia - Sheriff Slams Female Student to Floor In Class

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea who Lt G is. It appears that using GI Joe is an affectionate name and not a disparaging one.

The name variation you applied to deputy Fields was a disparaging one IMO.

Could you please link to the specific rule you're referring to? I've tried searching and can't find anything.

TIA.

This isn't a discussion about my parents. You also grossly misunderstood this entire discussion.

I certainly don't mean to be insulting, and I think you'd probably agree with me that your parents wouldn't approve of this girl's behavior any more than I do. I raised my kids to think independently also, and if they are asked to do something immoral by an adult to stand their ground. You were the one who said you were brought up to not obey authority, and not obey teachers and cops just because they are teachers and cops, and I am asking you, were you brought up to behave like this girl? I highly doubt it, or you probably wouldn't have turned into a successful adult.

Legitimate authority?
Who decides what authority is legit or not?

Yes. There's a correct way to challenge authority. I don't know if you are kidding with that question. If she didn't think she should have to put her cell phone away, she could have said "i'm so sorry, can I go out in the hall? This is an emergency call from my mom" (if in fact it was) Then, when the admin came in, apologize and say she's put her phone away now and sorry for being a disruption, and if he still wants to talk to her in the hall, that's fine. And then certainly when the cop tells her to get up, get up and then later take it up with the principal/counselor as to what happened. People challenge authority all the time, and win, but you can't just sit there and bluntly refuse to move when told to, by someone with legitimate authority. And then you certainly can't punch them.

There have been studies that have shown children who are afraid to question authority are more likely to be molested.

Hmmm. That seems plausible. Especially with the nut jobs that we read about on this site everyday.

I did act like that when I was in school. But they never called the cops on me. They just gave me after school detention, and sometimes they would call my parents in to discuss the matter.

You refused to get out of a chair when the teacher told you to go to the office?

I did act like that when I was in school. But they never called the cops on me. They just gave me after school detention, and sometimes they would call my parents in to discuss the matter.

Worked out good for you I guess. But I don't think that this student left teacher or the officer any choice.

Legitimate authority?
Who decides what authority is legit or not?

Teachers in a classroom have legitimate authority when telling their students to put away their cell phone, which is against the rules to have out in the school. Administrators have legitimate authority when telling students to get up out of their chairs and come to the office. RO's have legitimate authority when called by admin to tell a student to get up and come out into the hallway so the classroom disruption can end, and the teacher can get back to the business of teaching.

I'm sure you really don't need to know what "legitimate authority" is.

I think that kids can be taught to be safe and at the same time be taught to respect authority like their teachers. JMO

A scary thought when you consider that police officers commit sexual assaults at a higher rate than the general population. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that about teachers, too. One reads stories about this happening every week.

Not knowing the full situation of why she did what she did I don't know if my parents would have accepted that as sound reasoning for my actions.

And yes, I essentially was taught teachers and cops work for me, not the other way around.
I certainly don't mean to be insulting, and I think you'd probably agree with me that your parents wouldn't approve of this girl's behavior any more than I do. I raised my kids to think independently also, and if they are asked to do something immoral by an adult to stand their ground. You were the one who said you were brought up to not obey authority, and not obey teachers and cops just because they are teachers and cops, and I am asking you, were you brought up to behave like this girl? I highly doubt it, or you probably wouldn't have turned into a successful adult.

It's in terms of service. You can't call someone a disparaging nickname.

Do you have a link? I'm having trouble finding anything that specifically says that. And as I've said I've seen people use nicknames in many threads.

Could you please link to the specific rule you're referring to? I've tried searching and can't find anything.

TIA.

NAME CALLING and DEROGATORY NAME VARIATIONS

In an effort to keep case discussion constructive, name calling, general bashing and using derogatory name variations for any of the case players is not tolerated. Regardless of how we may feel about many of the people that are the focus of our discussion here,it is always best to elevate the conversation and avoid this type of posting behavior. Feel free to express your displeasure with individuals that are being discussed, just avoid petty nastiness,name calling, name changes and over the top rude posts directed at case players.

Initials may be used, and are encouraged.

Hope this helps.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?65798-Etiquette-amp-Information

No, I need to understand who grants them this authority and how it is legitimized.

Teachers in a classroom have legitimate authority when telling their students to put away their cell phone, which is against the rules to have out in the school. Administrators have legitimate authority when telling students to get up out of their chairs and come to the office. RO's have legitimate authority when called by admin to tell a student to get up and come out into the hallway so the classroom disruption can end, and the teacher can get back to the business of teaching.

I'm sure you really don't need to know what "legitimate authority" is.

A scary thought when you consider that police officers commit sexual assaults at a higher rate than the general population. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that about teachers, too. One reads stories about this happening every week.

What's scary is what children are not taught and what they are taught by their parents.

I would like to know what this teenager in SC was taught in regards to her teachers and what kind of behavior is acceptable when dealing with them.

The officer had choices. He chose to do what he did.

Well, that's a good thought for discussion. What should he have done, in front of this classroom full of students when she was told to get up out of her chair by a teacher, a principal and the RO, and she refused? At what point is the teacher allowed to get back to the lesson if she won't get herself out of the chair as requested? I ask because earlier on my radio show, Dr. Jeff Ward - a college professor - had all kinds of amusing ways to deal with it, but he's a college professor and you can deal with college students differently. His suggestion was telling the class, "it's a pretty day, everyone up except Freda there, who won't get out of her chair. Everyone else, get up and lets go outside. Zero grade for the day, Freda, good job, you can sleep in that chair overnight for all I care, the rest of us are going outside to continue the lecture for the day."

My parents would have more of a problem with the officer's behavior than the student's. It doesn't matter, imo, that she was misbehaving or not handing over her cell phone. What matters is she was physically assaulted in her classroom for behaving the way teenagers often behave. She wasn't breaking any laws. She was not threatening to harm anyone. She was unarmed. Yet she was attacked.

In my opinion nothing she did justifies his actions.

Aren't we being quick to judge her based on this video? Was she brought up to behave that way? Who knows. Maybe she's usually docile and obedient and was having a bad day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hawk53