SC - Columbia - Sheriff Slams Female Student to Floor In Class

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You just don't treat a child that way for not doing what you say. It is straight up abusive behaviour no matter how you slice it.

Agreed.

But I would take this even a bit further and say that you don't treat ANYONE that way who, as far as I've seen on the video and have read no accounts disputing otherwise, was sitting down and doing nothing more threatening than refusing to obey an order to move.

I thought we all kind of agreed on this concept back in the 60s after being horrified watching Bull Connor turning firehoses on nonviolent protesters. (Not that I remember that directly, of course, :blushing: but I do know my history.)

If she had been standing up (or even still sitting down) brandishing a weapon or something, I would have a different opinion.

^ sbm I have not yet checked SC statutes for ^, but school district info refers to possible arrest. Another handbook discusses crim activity like drugs, weapons, etc for bases for arrests, suspensions, and expulsions.
"VERBAL CONFRONTATION"... "1-3 days suspension, may be arrested" bbm

Was that ^ the reason teacher & admn'r summoned LEO/SRO. If others below, nothing about arrests for them.
IDK.

"
DISRESPECT" ................"To Faculty or staff: Minimum 1-5 days suspension, may berecommended for expulsion."
"DISRUPTIVE BEHAVIOR" "Minimum 3 hours detention, may besuspended. (Includes promoting a fight.)"
"
POORATTITUDE"........... "Minimum 3 hours detention, may be suspended."
"REFUSAL TO OBEY"........."1-3 days OSS"

They also arrested a fellow student who was heckling the officer. Never heard of such a thing in IL.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

I hate these threads. They make me so angry. But I'm going to have my say. People today teach their children to respect no one. They are led to expect that they don't have to follow rules or respect authority or their elders. Then we have their adult counterparts that feel they need to decide whether or not they want to be civil disobedients and turn every traffic stop into a game of "I don't have to do what you say". Congrats America all this Bull ***** is doing is breaking down law and order. If she was my daughter I would give it to her good.
OK, I'm sure people are going to hate on me. I don't care to be politically correct anymore. Smh. Jmo. MOO.

I'm not saying extreme force was right. I reserve judgement on that.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I, for one, do not hate you for speaking your mind. I actually agree with all you have said, right down to your statement that the extreme force that was used to diffuse the situation was not right. I personally decided to not reserve judgment on the RO's actions but to each his own.

I do not see the student as without fault but the issue here is with the grown man who is trained LE coming in and throwing his weight around. He disliked the student for being impudent...OK, I accept that. I don't like that kind of attitude either and I see it often, but there is no justification for an adult manhandling a non-violent child, especially in a school setting where the adult is wearing a badge. There is not one single thing I can find that is right about that and I am happy to hear that the district administrator is not condoning what this RO did and has called his actions "reprehensible."

They also arrested a fellow student who was heckling the officer. Never heard of such a thing in IL.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

It happens every minute of the day. The number 1 crime in America: it’s not murder, it’s not rape, it’s not child molestation. It’s disrespect of a police officer. People die for it every day. It’s the only crime that can get you beaten up, or even executed on the spot, with no trial.

Both students were arrested for the misdemeanor Disturbing Schools which is an overly ambiguous SC law with legally undefined words like obnoxious in it.

But how crazy are those penalties in that handbook?
Why do parents in this discrict or any tax payers who pay for those schools allow such things to be written?

We have become so lazy in this nation that we allow school boards and legislators to concoct any random nonsense in some feel good knee jerk reaction.

I understand the need for rules but those are just ridiculous. Are these schools teaching or just punishing? I guess seeing the test scores this country produces and the dumbing down of courses and required credits the answer is we don't teach anymore.

Disgusting.

^ sbm I have not yet checked SC statutes for ^, but school district info refers to possible arrest. Another handbook discusses crim activity like drugs, weapons, etc for bases for arrests, suspensions, and expulsions.
"VERBAL CONFRONTATION"... "1-3 days suspension, may be arrested" bbm

Was that ^ the reason teacher & admn'r summoned LEO/SRO. If others below, nothing about arrests for them.
IDK.

"
DISRESPECT" ................"To Faculty or staff: Minimum 1-5 days suspension, may berecommended for expulsion."
"DISRUPTIVE BEHAVIOR" "Minimum 3 hours detention, may besuspended. (Includes promoting a fight.)"
"
POORATTITUDE"........... "Minimum 3 hours detention, may be suspended."
"REFUSAL TO OBEY"........."1-3 days OSS"

Yes, thank you.
And considering there has been a civil rights investgation opened in this case speaks volumes for the fact she has rights that might have been violated.

Post kind of landing at random in the midst of the debate, just chose this post to respond to.

I think the point isn't that children have the same rights as adults.

I think the point is that children have the same equal protection under the law (Constitution) as adults.

Just my two cents.
Carry on.

It happens every minute of the day. The number 1 crime in America: it’s not murder, it’s not rape, it’s not child molestation. It’s disrespect of a police officer. People die for it every day. It’s the only crime that can get you beaten up, or even executed on the spot, with no trial.

The fact so many people (not just on this thread ) were just fine with what transpired because he is a cop makes you realize how far down the rabbit hole we have fallen.

I am sure this officer still can't fathom how he was terminated for behavior that he probably not only witnesses from other officers on a daily basis but has probably done himself a time or two.

He is probably at home feeling like he is a scapegoat because some kid decided to choose him to make a currently PC stand against police violence. While failing to understand there are those of us who have been fighting this slide towards tyranny long before it became PC.

He is probably at home feeling like he is a scapegoat because some kid decided to choose him to make a currently PC stand against police violence. While failing to understand there are those of us who have been fighting this slide towards tyranny long before it became PC.

rsbm

Given the responses of so many posters here, I thought (and think) he could turn out to be a 'folk hero' in the way George Zimmerman has become for some.

Both students were arrested for the misdemeanor Disturbing Schools which is an overly ambiguous SC law with legally undefined words like obnoxious in it.

But how crazy are those penalties in that handbook?
Why do parents in this discrict or any tax payers who pay for those schools allow such things to be written?

We have become so lazy in this nation that we allow school boards and legislators to concoct any random nonsense in some feel good knee jerk reaction.

I understand the need for rules but those are just ridiculous. Are these schools teaching or just punishing? I guess seeing the test scores this country produces and the dumbing down of courses and required credits the answer is we don't teach anymore.

Disgusting.

Re BBM

I found it interesting that they seem to weigh more penalties on disrespect than disruption.
So if you disrupt the class and affect other kids then a few hours detention but lets pull out all the stops and throw the kids out of school for 5 days if you disrespect a teacher.

They are all bad things of course so why is the punishment more for the 1. It kind of relates to this case because the mindset of the officer was how dare you disrespect me in front of others. So he blows his top and freaks out.

""DISRESPECT" ................"To Faculty or staff: Minimum 1-5 days suspension, may berecommended for expulsion."
"DISRUPTIVE BEHAVIOR" "Minimum 3 hours detention, may besuspended. (Includes promoting a fight.)""

Do you have stats on that? Because I've never seen that in a juvenile courtroom, and also on the Travis County misdemeanor docket sheet for upcoming procedures, I've also never seen that listed. Petty theft, drug possession, DWI, DUI, larceny, trespass.

Re BBM

I found it interesting that they seem to weigh more penalties on disrespect than disruption.
So if you disrupt the class and affect other kids then a few hours detention but lets pull out all the stops and throw the kids out of school for 5 days if you disrespect a teacher.

They are all bad things of course so why is the punishment more for the 1. It kind of relates to this case because the mindset of the officer was how dare you disrespect me in front of others. So he blows his top and freaks out.

""DISRESPECT" ................"To Faculty or staff: Minimum 1-5 days suspension, may berecommended for expulsion."
"DISRUPTIVE BEHAVIOR" "Minimum 3 hours detention, may besuspended. (Includes promoting a fight.)""

Well, and when you think of what he had to do in front of that class, teacher, and admin, was to effectively remove that girl from the desk. In his mind, this could NOT be a drawn-out wrestling match. It had to be decisive, and quick, I'm sure, in his mind. Just as the teacher was not going to stand there with a verbal wrestling match in front of the classroom, neither was the cop going to get into a physical one. She looked to be at least 5' 8", and pretty wrapped around that desk and unwilling to be pulled up. My guess is, if no one else were present except the teacher it would have looked very, very different.

Well, and when you think of what he had to do in front of that class, teacher, and admin, was to effectively remove that girl from the desk. In his mind, this could NOT be a drawn-out wrestling match. It had to be decisive, and quick, I'm sure, in his mind. Just as the teacher was not going to stand there with a verbal wrestling match in front of the classroom, neither was the cop going to get into a physical one. She looked to be at least 5' 8", and pretty wrapped around that desk and unwilling to be pulled up. My guess is, if no one else were present except the teacher it would have looked very, very different.

It was definitely a quandary the principle, teacher, and LE officer was in. What to do in that situation?

I thought about it a lot last night and I think the best solution would have been to have 2 adults pick up her AND her chair and carry her out into the hall. Then shut the classroom door and let class continue without her.

I think that would have defused the situation once she was by herself out in the hall. Because she was obviously showing off to the other students that she was not going to obey anyone.

The problem with LE cases like this is they lose their temper and lose self control. Its a huge complex issue today and I think it relates to the whole job description and job satisfaction. Like take the show "COPS" for example. Watch how after a chase of a criminal all the LE give each other high-5's and seem to really ENJOY the whole take down and confrontation.

I get sick watching shows like COPS. I actually end up rooting for the criminal because I get disgusted watching LE ENJOY the physical hurting of other people. And some of them do enjoy it. Not all, but some on those shows.
LE should not be a form of entertainment for us OR officers. But it is what it is and I do think it attracts a certain person to that profession that enjoys human confrontation. Some cannot control their tempers and emotion when situations like this case happens. The good officers are the ones that have much more self control.

There is no doubt something needed to be done with that student. Handling it in a professional manner with self control and no loss of temper is a tough thing. Good officers are able to do that.

It was definitely a quandary the principle, teacher, and LE officer was in. What to do in that situation?

I thought about it a lot last night and I think the best solution would have been to have 2 adults pick up her AND her chair and carry her out into the hall. Then shut the classroom door and let class continue without her.

I think that would have defused the situation once she was by herself out in the hall. Because she was obviously showing off to the other students that she was not going to obey anyone.

The problem with LE cases like this is they lose their temper and lose self control. Its a huge complex issue today and I think it relates to the whole job description and job satisfaction. Like take the show "COPS" for example. Watch how after a chase of a criminal all the LE give each other high-5's and seem to really ENJOY the whole take down and confrontation.

I get sick watching shows like COPS. I actually end up rooting for the criminal because I get disgusted watching LE ENJOY the physical hurting of other people. And some of them do enjoy it. Not all, but some on those shows.
LE should not be a form of entertainment for us OR officers. But it is what it is and I do think it attracts a certain person to that profession that enjoys human confrontation. Some cannot control their tempers and emotion when situations like this case happens. The good officers are the ones that have much more self control.

There is no doubt something needed to be done with that student. Handling it in a professional manner with self control and no loss of temper is a tough thing. Good officers are able to do that.

I agree with a lot of this post. However, it did warm my heart to see that alleged defiant teen taken down. Had it been one of my own children/grandchildren in the same circumstances, I would have shook his hand.

My opinion only

Excellent point!
It just shows that this has nothing to do with education or producing productive members of society or whatever other feel good mission statement the school pretends it is.

And I imagine most "problem" students don't have an adult to fight any of these arbitrary suspensions in front of the board. And the board is counting on that or most of these wouldn't have lasted long before being defeated.

Re BBM

I agree with a lot of this post. However, it did warm my heart to see that alleged defiant teen taken down. Had it been one of my own children/grandchildren in the same circumstances, I would have shook his hand.

My opinion only

Find this a very tragic thought.

That take down resulted in injuries and loss of someones job - such consequences could warm someones heart?

An adult over the age of 25 is suppose to be able to see and predict the consequences of their actions - imo, the teacher and administrator knew what was coming with former officer Fields aka 'slam' on the job. Tragic. What Fields/slam didn't predict imo, was his society has pretty much had enough of violence from LE. A good thing.

All jmo.

Find this a very tragic thought.

That take down resulted in injuries and loss of someones job - such consequences could warm someones heart?

An adult over the age of 25 is suppose to be able to see and predict the consequences of their actions - imo, the teacher and administrator knew what was coming with former officer Fields aka 'slam' on the job. Tragic. What Fields/slam didn't predict imo, was his society has pretty much had enough of violence from LE. A good thing.

All jmo.

BBM- What injuries ?

BBM I think this could have been done before the tragedy we all witnessed.

It was unsettling watching the policeman use such force, the principal/teacher watching and the students hardly looking. Strange indeed.

My daughter is a teacher and they have discipline problems like this every day.

Teachers not only have to hope they don't get shot by some crazy person entering the school with a shotgun but they have to manage children that have terrible emotional problems from disfunctional homes. Some living in cars. Sigh.

Our prisons are full, our police officers are reaching their limits, our teachers get no respect and only college or minimum wage fast food jobs upon graduation for students. 50% of parents are not parenting. MOO

I have never seen our society so bad. It breaks my heart what is happening in our country.

Do you have stats on that? Because I've never seen that in a juvenile courtroom, and also on the Travis County misdemeanor docket sheet for upcoming procedures, I've also never seen that listed. Petty theft, drug possession, DWI, DUI, larceny, trespass.

Disrespect of a Police Officer is not on any docket. It’s an instant execution (or beating, or whatever else they feel like) carried out by the disrespected officer, acting as the judge, jury, and executioner, in total disregard for the United States Constitution.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2015/jun/01/the-counted-police-killings-us-database#

I think the post was speaking toward this type of offense (disrespecting an officer) being one where you pay a penalty without benefit of your day in court. IOW, you can be beaten or killed without your supposed transgression ever appearing on a court docket. That's how I interpreted it, anyway.

ETA: KaaBoom said it first; I really need to read all posts before hitting the reply button.

But it's good to see others have interpreted the OP the same way I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nosey2b