SC - Gloria Satterfield, Murdaugh family housekeeper, 2018 Trip & Fall Insurance Fraud

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
According to the Netflix story, Gloria Satterfield had told Paul about AM's drugs and where he was hiding them. She did not want to tell Maggie for fear she might fire her. She and Paul were very close.

The Netflix story also said she never regained consciousness.
Oh wow, I don't remember that part in the Netflix series.

Correct me if i am mistaken but i thought she was alive when she left in the ambulance and died in the hospital. There is a rule where i live, if a patient dies within 48 hours of admission to the hospital, the coroner etc has the OPTION to order an autopsy. Sometimes, doctors will notify the powers that be...sometimes the doctors order it..then the coroner gets involved. Either this didnt look suspicious or someone was asleep on the job. Now, apparently LE didnt think it was anything but an accident weither, because when an ambulance was called i am sure LE was also present??? Of course, some with say this is all part of the MURDAUGH protection dynasty but i dunno... I do wonder if this woman took medication and if tox screens were done..accidental OD of for example blood pressure pills? Did she get dizzy? Did they do an MRI of her head after the fall? Mri/CT after a fall is standard...JMO
She was alive in the hosp for 20+ days before she died. She had even stepped down from ICU a few days after admission because she was starting to recover. She did develop pneumonia at some point and that combined with other health problems led to a stead decline.

She was alive in the hosp for 20+ days before she died. She had even stepped down from ICU a few days after admission because she was starting to recover. She did develop pneumonia at some point and that combined with other health problems led to a stead decline.
Very interested in what was going on in the M family, specifically with Alex, during that time. Panic?

As I mentioned in another thread long ago- the subdural being on the opposite side as the rib fractures is VERY sketchy to me.

Didn't know that either, but I guess a tumble down the stairs could do that if you tumble the right way.

A crushed skull, 12 broken vertebrae and broken ribs from a slip and fall going up the stairs?

From a $505K settlement, the attorneys would take about $200,000. Medical expense for 3 weeks of hospitalization could easily be another $200K, costs could be another $10K, so telling them they would get about $100K from that insurer isn't odd.

Did they know nothing about the umbrella policy?

Maybe Paul told Maggie about the stash of pills Gloria found.

As I mentioned in another thread long ago- the subdural being on the opposite side as the rib fractures is VERY sketchy to me.
Why? The rib fractures she sustained, when she fell. Did the subdural hemorrhage occur contemporaneously with the fall? That would have shown up on imaging as it is standard to do a ct or mri after someone sustains a fall, ESPECIALLY if they are unconscious or confused. Did she have the subdural hemorrhage at some point AFTER she had been in the hospital? Was it even subdural? Was it a documented medical report or someone using lay language who doesn't understand the various places a bleed or a clot can occur?

According to the Netflix story, Gloria Satterfield had told Paul about AM's drugs and where he was hiding them. She did not want to tell Maggie for fear she might fire her. She and Paul were very close.

The Netflix story also said she never regained consciousness.

Oh wow, I don't remember that part in the Netflix series.

GS was hospitalized for nearly a month and I truly hope nobody accepts Netflix as factual over GS's family who should know if they talked to GS. Also, nurses reported GS didn't remember how/why she fell.

IMO, except for witnesses that were speaking for themselves, I assumed typical Netflix creative liberties were taken in the series.

ETA: To be clear, GS was hospitalized for several weeks after the fall and eventually had a stroke where she may have become unconscious but it's not accurate if Netflix portrayed GS as never regaining consciousness once she fell.

Last edited:
I don't think this has ever been published before

Parts that stood out to me:
-Gloria was sitting up when AM arrived at Mosell?
- AM Was able to speak to Gloria before she went to the hospital. He was trying to access her by asking questions and she wasn't functioning at full capacity but she knew the answers to his questions.
-What AM assumed happened is that the dogs rushed her for affection

Is it completely unviable that he was there? Or could there have been a manipulation in timelines?

IMO, I don't know where else he'd have been, at that time of day. He typically didn't go to work until the afternoon, IMO.

To my way of thinking, AM has no alibi for that time period (PM and MM were apparently still sleeping).

IMO.

I think the medical records will be far more enlightening than the autopsy findings.

You mean the yet-to-be-done "new" autopsy? I think the nature of the fractures can be studied forensically to determine how she feel (what part of her body landed first, how fast she was moving at the time and potentially, whether she was shoved). This whole "stroke" thing doesn't sit well with me. She had a subdural hematoma, IIRC! Any further amount of brain bleeding could be related to the fall.

I agree that her medical records would show whether she was at risk for stroke (beyond what anyone that age might be). But she could have had a blood clot secondary to a fracture (so that would be a stroke caused by the accident) - since an autopsy wasn't done at the time, we likely can never know that for sure (although good forensics on the skull fractures would certainly give huge clues).

I wonder if they even did an MRI on her (to determine nature of stroke) at the time...

So many questions.

IMO.

Parts that stood out to me:
-Gloria was sitting up when AM arrived at Mosell?
- AM Was able to speak to Gloria before she went to the hospital. He was trying to access her by asking questions and she wasn't functioning at full capacity but she knew the answers to his questions.
-What AM assumed happened is that the dogs rushed her for affection

And didn't we learn from the 911 call that GS made it back up on her feet and was attempting to reach the home again unattended when she slumped, again? (i.e., PM was trying to help GS and she did not want his assistance).

You mean the yet-to-be-done "new" autopsy? I think the nature of the fractures can be studied forensically to determine how she feel (what part of her body landed first, how fast she was moving at the time and potentially, whether she was shoved). This whole "stroke" thing doesn't sit well with me. She had a subdural hematoma, IIRC! Any further amount of brain bleeding could be related to the fall.

I agree that her medical records would show whether she was at risk for stroke (beyond what anyone that age might be). But she could have had a blood clot secondary to a fracture (so that would be a stroke caused by the accident) - since an autopsy wasn't done at the time, we likely can never know that for sure (although good forensics on the skull fractures would certainly give huge clues).

I wonder if they even did an MRI on her (to determine nature of stroke) at the time...

So many questions.

IMO.
^^bbm

I've said before all we (the public) know is what interested parties wanted us to know. We have no knowledge about GS's prior medical history and/or pre-existing conditions.

From the DC and the attorney representing GS's estate (EB), this is all we have as fact at this time:

'She had a crushed skull and 12 broken vertebrae, so they just want to make sure it wasn't cause by human hands as opposed to a fall.

Local Island Packet reports:

Nov 30, 2021

— On Feb. 26, 2018, Satterfield died at the hospital after an “acute subdural hemorrhage” due to a stroke, her death certificate states.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ronin13
Back