SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 - #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO it is a possibility if OM was involved Heather could be located in Francis Marion National Forest. This would be approx an hours drive from PTL driving on 17A.
[modsnip]

JMO

Thanks for bringing this to the table again, WideOpen.
I went back to see what I could find on our earlier discussion about this, and found this post with some good local points of reference by DMiller.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - SC SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 - #2

(eta: interesting this came up before any mention of OM)

I don't think they would have locked it and how did they get the keys? They didn't break in because TE has said there was no damage to the car. And no alarm went off, or someone would have heard it.

I think the somebody would have been LE, or her father, or both, and that would have resulted in a stolen car report for which there would be a record and a statement by now.

I can see what you're saying about considering other scenarios, but I don't think this one is plausible. Heather would have been screaming if/while still alive, and her body would have drawn attention long ago if placed in one of the environments you suggest.

I'm confident this is a very sad case of a person or persons known to her deciding for vindictive reasons to lure her and end her life.

Ugh..my heart wants to say no but my brain says yes. Makes me sick to my stomach.

what if Heather had a bunch of different names to use so nobody else would know? If a distant cousing maybe she'd know the birthdate,etc and get away with it. Maybe she even had ID in different names?

I'd read that she had her roomies license (who was 22) and it was returned to roomie? Does that mean roomie took a trip tho Florida without ID,or did she have a duplicate?? Just curious :moo:

The roommate probably went to the DMV & had one made (telling the DMV that she lost hers) to give Heather for underage drinking purposes/admission into bars--the roommate is 22 & Heather's only 20.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But this is the original report according to the time and details. So, it appears the call came in for an abandon call, but turned out to be a missing person. When they got to the police station, the abandon car call was filled out was filled out as a missing person and later closed. This is typical to get a call for one thing, but fill out the report for another. What I am confused about is why the report is closed. I checked several databases and don't see her missing in any. I know they aren't always accurate, but just wanted to mention that is well.

I had rwad in media that officer came across it and called TE to pick up his car. TE had spare keys. Then TE tried calling Heather but it kept going to voicemail. Since heather was 20 maybe that's when the clock started ticking for filing a missing person report. So maybe the abandoned car was closed (cuz car returned to owner) AND a missing persons report couldn't be filed UNTIL the appropriate time frame passes? Maybe things didn't start to kick into gear until she didn't show up for work? Maybe if they were aware she had a few days off they figured maybe she just went somewhere?

I had rwad in media that officer came across it and called TE to pick up his car. TE had spare keys. Then TE tried calling Heather but it kept going to voicemail. Since heather was 20 maybe that's when the clock started ticking for filing a missing person report. So maybe the abandoned car was closed (cuz car returned to owner) AND a missing persons report couldn't be filed UNTIL the appropriate time frame passes? Maybe things didn't start to kick into gear until she didn't show up for work? Maybe if they were aware she had a few days off they figured maybe she just went somewhere?

From everything I understand there is no time frame that needs to pass to file a missing person report.

Chances of this being a runaway of any sort seems highly unlikely. People are very rarely able to do this and leave no traces or signs at all. I can't think of any logical reason at all that HE would do this with what she had going for her in life.

Someone from my area at 19, just called the family after being gone for four months. Anything is possibly. Considering her own father has said he didn't know about either ex, it shows that people keep secrets from those close to you. So, that goes to show that none of us would know the reasons that HE would leave if she did. So many people unexpectedly runaway everyday, parents, spouses, and the response is....they wouldn't do it. But, they do. We don't always know what is going on and that is why people runaway or committ suicide. I don't know if that's what happen here, but with no crime scene and no facts that I can see of a suspect, it can't be ruled out.

But 'close to home' could be three states away. If, as someone mentioned, there is a childhood home somewhere, or, if there is some other familiar place where the perpetrator has control or influence... I really think that's the issue. Not necessarily distance, near or far.

Absolutely--control and influence, as well as a possibly familiar/personal connection to the perp, favorite fishing holes, childhood camping spots, etc.

Distance can definitely play an important role, though, depending on the mindset of the perp and awareness space. Here are distances that have frequently come up in some of the cases I've studied:

6 miles
7 miles
22 miles
29 miles
55 miles

JMO

I would like to see a list of every bridge within a 60 mile radius.

Someone from my area at 19, just called the family after being gone for four months. Anything is possibly. Considering her own father has said he didn't know about either ex, it shows that people keep secrets from those close to you. So, that goes to show that none of us would know the reasons that HE would leave if she did. So many people unexpectedly runaway everyday, parents, spouses, and the response is....they wouldn't do it. But, they do. We don't always know what is going on and that is why people runaway or committ suicide. I don't know if that's what happen here, but with no crime scene and no facts that I can see of a suspect, it can't be ruled out.

The reason I discount this is I do not believe Heather had the resources to pull this off.
That's not to say no one does. Plenty of people do. Some younger people do. I just do not gather from all of the information available that Heather has the resources to walk away on her own without a trace.
I hope I'm wrong.

Ugh..my heart wants to say no but my brain says yes. Makes me sick to my stomach.

I know. And I would love to be wrong. But even if it was a crime of passion without any premeditation, the outcome, I believe, is the same. As we've both said, this doesn't seem to be a stranger abduction.

I suppose all scenarios are stomach turning.

My heart aches for her, and I'm troubled that she's somewhere alone and no one can help her, even if help is in the form of recovering her body for a respectful and dignified laying to rest by the people who love her the most.

Absolutely---a personal connection to the perp, favorite fishing holes, childhood camping spots, etc.

Distance can definitely play an important role, though, depending on the mindset of the perp and awareness space. Here are distances that have frequently come up in some of the cases I've studied:

6 miles
7 miles
22 miles
29 miles
55 miles

JMO

I would like to see a list of every bridge within a 60 mile radius.

Where's the center of your radius?
Just asking because with so many theories here I don't think I should assume.

I am way behind, but I just wanted to share.

Snipped by me bc we cannot link that. She's a minor. I asked a mod when it was posted on fb the night of.

So, she talked to OM last. Roommate said she "seemed upset" when they talked bc he was leaving his wife. When asked by LE about HE he said he last saw her in Oct then admitted to talking to her last night (during interview on 12/19 due to saying last night). Can't conclude a lie because we really don't know what was asked or answered. What are the other FACTS that make people think this first foul play and second OM?

I am in a state of confusion. Would like to understand the facts of why people got to the foul play opinion. Thanks.

Unfortunately I believe the reason most of us suspect OM can't be discussed bc... how do I put this... his name wasn't officially released so it was all rumors and we kinda went nutso in trying to help and for about a week the thread got locked at night bc no mods were around and we couldn't be trusted not to go off on a bear hunt. This is also a large part of why no more fb except HE and announcements of searches.

Hopefully soon we can bc the info is out there. Is sleuthable. And Salem (I think) told us exactly how we need to get it to open that door. I believe a couple people asked for what we need and are waiting on responses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

The reason I discount this is I do not believe Heather had the resources to pull this off.
That's not to say no one does. Plenty of people do. Some younger people do. I just do not gather from all of the information available that Heather has the resources to walk away on her own without a trace.
I hope I'm wrong.

I know she did. I just hope she used some of them and that's the case. However it worries me that it may not be.

Snipped by me bc we cannot link that. She's a minor. I asked a mod when it was posted on fb the night of.

Unfortunately I believe the reason most of us suspect OM can't be discussed bc... how do I put this... his name wasn't officially released so it was all rumors and we kinda went nutso in trying to help and for about a week the thread got locked at night bc no mods were around and we couldn't be trusted not to go off on a bear hunt. This is also a large part of why no more fb except HE and announcements of searches.

Hopefully soon we can bc the info is out there. Is sleuthable. And Salem (I think) told us exactly how we need to get it to open that door. I believe a couple people asked for what we need and are waiting on responses.

I hear what you are saying. I have seen rumors left and right, here, there and everywhere, but not facts. I am all for believing foul play and believing someone is guilty, but not until, I see the facts.

Suzanne’s Federal Law
http://www.achildismissing.org/suzanne.asp

In 2003 President George W. Bush signed into law “Suzanne’s Law,” requiring police to notify the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) when someone between 18 and 21 is reported missing, as part of the national “Amber Alert” bill. Previously police were only required to report missing persons under the age of 18. Any person under the age of 21 is considered a missing child.

Many law enforcement agencies are still unaware of the change in the law and their increased responsibilities. In addition to filing the information with the NCIC the law enforcement agency is able to file a report with NCMEC and receive services such as poster creation and age enhancement technology.

Also, they are now able to enter long term missing persons up the age of 21 who were reported missing before the law went into effect.

This Federal law is named for Suzanne Lyall, a State University of New York at Albany student who has been missing since 1998.
<sniped>

FYI: Suzanne Lyal's Parents are CUE Members and are warriors in the Missing Person Family..

Since there's only one other Heather Elvis in the area, isn't HIPAA law being broke by saying it was a different HE at the hospital, since it automatically points to the other HE?

And just because they have the same first and last name, how do they know they are "distant cousins"? Is that one of those "You're related to everyone with your last names" things?
It's here:http://www.carolinalive.com/news/story.aspx?id=996452#.UuXgTLTTnDc
"According to an Horry County police report, hours before she disappeared, Heather was admitted to a hospital, something that Terry and Horry County police now confirm is inaccurate.

"Even I thought by name that it would be her. It didn't make any sense but it was checked out earlier that morning and it was found out that it wasn't the right Heather," Terry said.

Apparently, the Heather Elvis referred to in the report was a distant cousin with the same name."

So, she talked to OM last. Roommate said she "seemed upset" when they talked bc he was leaving his wife. When asked by LE about HE he said he last saw her in Oct then admitted to talking to her last night (during interview on 12/19 due to saying last night). Can't conclude a lie because we really don't know what was asked or answered. What are the other FACTS that make people think this first foul play and second OM?

I am in a state of confusion. Would like to understand the facts of why people got to the foul play opinion. Thanks.
I suspect foul play first (but am open to other possibilities) because she came in around 2:00am, sat down and started posting, spoke with her roommate( see link below), then did not respond (to my knowledge) to anyone after the last phone calls at 6:00 am, calls reportedly between HE and OM.
http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/local/aynor/article_e27b8722-81fa-11e3-a440-001a4bcf6878.html
"According to the report, the last phone calls were at about 6 a.m. Dec. 18, about four hours after Elvis and Shiraldi ended their date.

The calls were back and forth between the victim and the older man, the report said."

If it is important enough for HE to call her roommate when she first got home to talk "due to receiving a call from a man the report says was nearly twice her age." (also at above link), it makes no logical sense that HE would not also call her roommate again after the 6am calls, at least sometime during that day. Yes, my opinion based on facts.

If OM is the last person to speak with HE, suspicion naturally falls to him( ask any LEO). Suspicion also falls to the last known person to see her, but SS has been cleared, and OM has not. Opinion based on the fact that the last person to speak to HE has not been cleared, for whatever reason.

Those are two reasons I suspect foul play.

Put it this way (and, I've had this conversation with myself and others)... if you were taken to an empty car of a close loved one by a cop, wouldn't you completely panic and freak out? Or, would you simply dismiss it as an ordinary, everyday situation?

I know if it were me, I sure as heck wouldn't touch the car and would be extra precocious not to step on any tire tracks or footprints. Then, I would make damn sure that the Officer contained the area until their forensic team was called in. I surely wouldn't have threw my hands up in the air and drove the car home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One would think if TE had many LE "friends",I'm sure they'd tell him what needed doing and might make some extra effort to "resolve" things. But it also depends on Heathers behaviors-maybe she was increasingly estranged so they wouldn't necessarily know her every day comings and goings? It would seem if they were unaware of her SM then maybe it was just brushed off as "these crazy kids" & letting TE drive the car home would save impoundment fees,etc? :moo:

I believe it is a fact that the last person known to speak with Heather was the married guy. That on its own leaves him open to suspicion, IMO. I might think differently if she last spoke to her sister, for example, or her great aunt. But no, this is a married man she has allegedly had an affair with, and he needs to be considered a POI above all others, IMO, until/unless he is cleared by LE. Maybe he has been cleared, but not publicly. So maybe, probably he has not. JMO

I hear what you are saying. I have seen rumors left and right, here, there and everywhere, but not facts. I am all for believing foul play and believing someone is guilty, but not until, I see the facts.

Agree. Just with this case it... is frustrating bc there's no info and the pr did help ease my mind a little that they know more. I just wish some more of it could be shared. I mean, I've been hearing rumors in rl that I either heard way before they were released or that haven't been mentioned as rumor online yet. Though one keeps popping up in some of y'alls theories.

Mostly wanted to answer your question as best I could under the circumstances. So... did I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members