SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 - #15

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to google what a US Marshall was...(lol) get so confused reading about different types of LE... This article is from mid January but my question is...are these groups joining together to form a special task force standard in the US for a missing person?

http://www.wbtw.com/story/24415527/find-heather-elvis-efforts-continue-this-weekend

"Horry County Police formed a special task force with the Horry County Sheriff's Office, Myrtle Beach Police, SLED, US Marshal Task Force, 15th Circuit Solicitor's Office and the Drug Enforcement Unit to find Elvis."

dizzigirl1, there are some very good youtube videos on the US Marshals; their history, as well as many of the task forces that they have been involved in.
I researched the SC FBI & US Marshals offices a few weeks ago and there is also a lot of info available on their sites concerning the resources that they offer state & local LEAs upon request.

Imo, the catalyst for the multi-agency task force formation is the tremendous amount of awareness that has been created in the Heather Elvis disappearance. This awareness has not only caused her case to become high profile, but has shined the light on the other many unsolved missing/murdered person cases in Horry Co/Myrtle Beach, SC community, imo. Imo, this awareness has awakened the SC community and has reached all the way up to the Governors office..

TE & the Elvis family has done a remarkable job of exposing this silent epidemic and will not back down until HE is located and Justice is served..

'Criminals should never, ever harm a family member of a person that buys ink by the barrel'..

Thanks Foxfire! I saw that they get involved in things like witness protection and i thought it may possibly be why they were brought in. Just trying to think outside the box a little bit now i have some time to contribute here. Really appreciate you, Clu & the lovely Hockeymom helping me :-)

LE uses these agencies all the time. Some of it may be for staffing reasons, i.e they cannot give over a large number of staff to one case, and this way, each agency is using a few, and most often, each has speciality areas. I don't think anything has to be read into it.

Thanks Foxfire! I saw that they get involved in things like witness protection and i thought it may possibly be why they were brought in. Just trying to think outside the box a little bit now i have some time to contribute here. Really appreciate you, Clu & the lovely Hockeymom helping me :-)

You are welcome! They are also often involved with sex offenders, fugitives, kidnappings, terrorists, and sex trafficking. My very good friend works for the FBI and he works with them a lot.

Just an FYI of the skeletal remains located the 22nd of last month off A1A in South Ponte Verda, FL. Very little info has been released.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story...g-remains-found-in-south-ponte-vedra/4778827/

ST. JOHNS COUNTY, Fla. -- The St. Johns County Sheriff's Office is investigating after human remains were found Wednesday at Guana River State Park in South Ponte Vedra.

According to SJSO, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission discovered remains on the east side of State Road A1A during a scheduled controlled burn Wednesday afternoon.
<sniped - read more>

It is not standard for the US Marshals to be involved in a missing persons case if it were to be say the case as we know it and possible SM. TE has said that he has a lot of friends in LE, so it is my wonder if this is a favor for a friend, a help to the Dept, or if the case is way beyond what any of us think. Same goes for the DEA and FBI. All three have a typically list of guidelines they follow where the would normally follow before getting involved. So, it is not standard that on every case they would be involved and it's not necessarily that the guidelines were met before stepping in. They could be doing it as a favor to the family, to the dept, or because the case is bigger than we expect. Jmo.

I really don't think TE is as well connected as he is made out to be. There hasn't even been a PC for the case, barely any searches...It's hard for me to imagine he has the sort of pull to get multiple agencies involved. There would be 100+ LE working on the case, not 15, if he was getting special privileges.

LE uses these agencies all the time. Some of it may be for staffing reasons, i.e they cannot give over a large number of staff to one case, and this way, each agency is using a few, and most often, each has speciality areas. I don't think anything has to be read into it.

Are the same resources devoted to Zach and Amber's cases? I don't follow them as closely. I have never seen USMarshals, FBI and DEA on a case with the details we know. I had my friend in the FBI and his wife who works for another government agency read the articles on this case. They both said the same thing, either this is being done as a favor to the family, to someone in the dept or this is bigger than expected. For HE to go missing and if it is SM as many have made it seem, it isn't standard to have all these resources. People go missing everyday and this is not typical to assemble task forces like this. So, when I see a list, I think it would be odd not to read into it. I can't name one missing person who had the DEA, FBI and USM on the task force, that was missing after 6 weeks. I am being honest and giving my opinion.

Are the same resources devoted to Zach and Amber's cases? I don't follow them as closely. I have never seen USMarshals, FBI and DEA on a case with the details we know. I had my friend in the FBI and his wife who works for another government agency read the articles on this case. They both said the same thing, either this is being done as a favor to the family, to someone in the dept or this is bigger than expected. For HE to go missing and if it is SM as many have made it seem, it isn't standard to have all these resources. People go missing everyday and this is not typical to assemble task forces like this. So, when I see a list, I think it would be odd not to read into it. I can't name one missing person who had the DEA, FBI and USM on the task force, that was missing after 6 weeks. I am being honest and giving my opinion.

This case has 15 LE assigned to it, from all the agencies involved. There are many cases that have had 100+ LE...

High-profile cases tend to get more extensive investigations. Heather's case is still regularly on the local news, and has 45,000 people on the FB page. I don't think Zach or Amber's case have gotten anywhere near as much attention. I don't want to say it's a definite correlation, though.

This case has 15 LE assigned to it, from all the agencies involved. There are many cases that have had 100+ LE...

Agree. Can someone tell me when a case has included the DEA, USM, and FBI after a month when it was a case similar to this, such as possibly SM? My friend helped bring Jaycee Dugard home, so I know that cases involve huge tasks forces. I just have never heard of this combo before. Not making a bid deal about it. Just curious when this has been done before with a similar case. I have seen it in the big ones. That's why I was thinking maybe the dept needed help, couldn't handle things or it could be a bigger than we know case. Just tossing out ideas.

cluciano63, I respectfully disagree. Some missing/murder person's cases receive the resources of multi-agency task forces and local & national ms media attention, etc., for weeks, months, or even years. While others get very little media coverage as well as investigative resources, and quietly become statistics only days or weeks later leaving the families to pick up the pieces..

Compare the investigative resources used in Heather Elvis's case to those being used in the Amber Berbiglia investigation..

With as many missing as Myrtle Beach area has, there better be every darn agency involved. It's been back burnered long enough. Same with other states like this too..I'm very happy to see it! Woot. Now let's see action on finding the many missing in this area and all the missing.

Agree. Can someone tell me when a case has included the DEA, USM, and FBI after a month when it was a case similar to this, such as possibly SM? My friend helped bring Jaycee Dugard home, so I know that cases involve huge tasks forces. I just have never heard of this combo before in this capacity. Not making a bid deal about it. Just curious when this has been done before with a similar case. I have seen it in the big ones. That's why I was thinking maybe the dept needed help, couldn't handle things or it could be a bigger than we know case. Just tossing out ideas.

Agree. Can someone tell me when a case has included the DEA, USM, and FBI after a month when it was a case similar to this, such as possibly SM? My friend helped bring Jaycee Dugard home, so I know that cases involve huge tasks forces. I just have never heard of this combo before. Not making a bid deal about it. Just curious when this has been done before with a similar case. I have seen it in the big ones. That's why I was thinking maybe the dept needed help, couldn't handle things or it could be a bigger than we know case. Just tossing out ideas.

And that is exactly why i am asking the question about the combination. There is no POI after almost 2 months. I have limited knowledge about different US LE departments but had never seen the combination working together listed publicly in MSM. Media reports suggest that Heather's case is not related to any other Horry County ones. Which is why i started looking at what the different strengths the departments can bring into the task force to help find her. While we all have differing opinions on what may have happened, i think it can bring great discussion around new ideas which is what i love so much about websleuths...:-)

I'm not following Zach'a case that closely and Amber isn't missing.

It seems a larger task force would be needed in a missing persons case especially one that may have crossed state lines. JMO

With as many missing as Myrtle Beach area has, there better be every darn agency involved. It's been back burnered long enough. Same with other states like this too..I'm very happy to see it! Woot. Now let's see action on finding the many missing in this area and all the missing.

Well said DR Know...
When awareness is created and task forces of local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies are brought in. Not only are the probability of the missing/murdered persons investigations being solved increased, but future violent crimes are prevented, imo..

I am sure MB has been feeling pressure for unsolved cases. And they have a very vocal parent to deal with, along with possible threats against people, interference by searchers, etc.

This case seems less than usual to me...they need all the professional guidance they can get, IMO.

Agree. Can someone tell me when a case has included the DEA, USM, and FBI after a month when it was a case similar to this, such as possibly SM? My friend helped bring Jaycee Dugard home, so I know that cases involve huge tasks forces. I just have never heard of this combo before in this capacity. Not making a bid deal about it. Just curious when this has been done before with a similar case. I have seen it in the big ones. That's why I was thinking maybe the dept needed help, couldn't handle things or it could be a bigger than we know case. Just tossing out ideas.

I managed to find a case where the FBI, DEA, and USM were involved. It was for another "missing" person...Well...sorta:

An Amherst physician accused last month of giving narcotics to patients in exchange for sex now is the subject of a nationwide search after disappearing from Western New York.

The FBI , the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration and the U.S. Marshals Service are among the agencies looking for Burns.

All the other cases I find have to do with drugs...So I wonder about the DEA's involvement too.

http://www.justice.gov/dea/about/mission.shtml

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member