GUILTY SC - HT, 4, Johns Island, 13 Feb 2018 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A very interesting article on why he was released on time with the background of 11 in fractions plus taking a hostage while he was in prison.

The article speaks to two main reasons. Number one, that even with good behavior they cannot get out early. Especially because of number 2, the prosecutors usually do not prosecute anything that happens in prison. The article discusses how this has severely affected people's actions in prison.

https://www.postandcourier.com/opin...cle_8401ac26-1e59-11e8-aa9b-4b9f2405ace0.html

:bump: for those asking how he was released with his record

ETA.. as many of us have come to our limit for viewing, perhaps others can do Snippets from this article

:bump: for those asking how he was released with his record

ETA.. as many of us have come to our limit for viewing, perhaps others can do Snippets from this article

OK...from link, here is first snippet.

https://www.postandcourier.com/opin...cle_8401ac26-1e59-11e8-aa9b-4b9f2405ace0.html
Thomas Lawton Evans Jr., previously locked up for armed robbery, was released Feb. 1 on “community supervision” to a Spartanburg County apartment that authorities approved. He was apprised of a multitude of state services, assigned a caseworker and given a check-in date. Everything was by the book.

But Mr. Evans, 37, never showed up for the scheduled meeting with his caseworker.

He has since been accused of going on a crime spree, charged with beating a suburban Johns Island homemaker and kidnapping her 4-year-old daughter. Meanwhile, a Boiling Springs woman whose car he was driving remains missing. Mr. Evans is in federal custody.

Snippet (cont.)

Everyone from prison officials to the proverbial man on the street wants to know what went wrong, how a felon with a violent behind-bars record could have been released and what can be done to prevent something similar from happening. Some answers are emerging.

Mr. Evans was released from prison after doing 85 percent of his statutory 10-year sentence. But he also had 14 disciplinary actions against him, 11 in the past two years. And clearly he should have been charged for taking a fellow prisoner hostage just six weeks before his release, as prison officials reported.

Rarely, though, will solicitors take on such cases, according to the former prisons director Jon Ozmint, who said the real problem is the state’s “truth in sentencing law,” mandating that convicts serve 85 percent of their sentences. The reforms undertaken in the mid-1990s left prisoners with no chance for an earlier parole, therefore no incentive to reform, he said.

Snippet (cont.)

Everyone from prison officials to the proverbial man on the street wants to know what went wrong, how a felon with a violent behind-bars record could have been released and what can be done to prevent something similar from happening. Some answers are emerging.

Mr. Evans was released from prison after doing 85 percent of his statutory 10-year sentence. But he also had 14 disciplinary actions against him, 11 in the past two years. And clearly he should have been charged for taking a fellow prisoner hostage just six weeks before his release, as prison officials reported.

Rarely, though, will solicitors take on such cases, according to the former prisons director Jon Ozmint, who said the real problem is the state’s “truth in sentencing law,” mandating that convicts serve 85 percent of their sentences. The reforms undertaken in the mid-1990s left prisoners with no chance for an earlier parole, therefore no incentive to reform, he said.

I'm quite sure this former prison director knows a lot more about recividism than I do, but I tend to disagree with him on this. I actually believe that sentencing needs to be MORE standardized. Judges are given such a wide berth in their discretion when it comes to sentencing, that sentencing often depends on the judge and his mood on any particular given day. I live in Myrtle Beach (about 2 hours north of Charleston) and I'll just give you an example. Last year, a 30ish year old woman high on crystal meth drowned her 6-month-old in the pond behind her house. She was given a 27 year sentence. The following week, a 20ish year old woman robbed a residence at gunpoint with her boyfriend and they took off with some of the homeowner's jewelry. She was given the maximum sentence of 25 years. I was flabbergasted. So, you mean to tell me that the only difference between stealing the life of your six-month-old child and stealing a stranger's jewelry is a mere two year prison sentence differential? Something is clearly not right here and the system they currently have in place is broken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://counton2.com/2018/03/07/susp...medium=social&utm_source=facebook_WCBD_News_2

http://abcnews4.com/news/local/court-documents-outline-thomas-evans-charges-in-detail.

I just added the second article. New details about the attack...and the seven charges he will be facing...including sexual assault!!!!! (The charges are regarding the mom's assault not the kidnapping.)

What a nightmare! Makes me sick to think those babies watched their mom get attacked so viciously. I hope this depraved never sees the light of day! My blood is boiling!

http://counton2.com/2018/03/07/susp...medium=social&utm_source=facebook_WCBD_News_2

http://abcnews4.com/news/local/court-documents-outline-thomas-evans-charges-in-detail.

I just added the second article. New details about the attack...and the seven charges he will be facing...including sexual assault!!!!! (The charges are regarding the mom's assault not the kidnapping.)

What a nightmare! Makes me sick to think those babies watched their mom get attacked so viciously. I hope this depraved never sees the light of day! My blood is boiling!

Wow, I was not expecting that :(.

Some Quotes:
After a mother didn't pick her children up from school, a police officer sent to check on her Johns Island home could tell something was amiss.

The doors and windows were locked. Peering inside, the officer spotted a pair of glasses on the kitchen floor and blood near the front door. Then the injured mother opened the front door.

"Help," she screamed.

Charleston police supplemental reports released Thursday paint a more complete picture of the chaotic crime scene at the Whitney Lake home where authorities say Thomas Lawton Evans, 37, brutally assaulted the mother before abducting 4-year-old HT on Feb. 13.

The woman told officers that a stranger — "some skinny dude that was kind of tall, maybe Hispanic" — attacked her that morning as she returned home after dropping two of her five children off at school, according to the reports.
"He charged me, put me to the ground, beat me up and tied me together," the woman told police.
The police reports describe officers arriving to a bloody scene at the family's home. The woman's baby was sleeping in an upstairs closet. The toddler was with the mother. A shower in the master bedroom was running.

The woman suffered facial fractures, bleeding on her brain and neck injuries, documents said. Investigators found evidence that she had been sexually assaulted.

Authorities said Evans took the mother's purse. The woman told police she didn't realize her phone was left behind.

According to affidavits, the scene unfolded at 8:30 a.m. on Feb. 13, when Evans, a stranger, approached the woman as she was walking into her home on Johns Island.
Evans “immediately attacked” the woman from behind, while armed with a knife, and forced her into the house, affidavits state.

Evans then forced the victim onto the ground in the kitchen, where he “rammed her head into the hardwood floor multiple times and struck her in the face with closed fists causing multiple facial fractures, bleeding on the brain and blunt force trauma to the neck,” affidavits state.
The affidavits state that Evans later confessed to sexually assaulting the woman during the attack.
“The defendant stated that he used an unknown object to penetrate the victim during the commission of the assault armed robbery and kidnapping,” the affidavits state.
As Evans assaulted the woman, "she yelled at the 4-year-old victim to run,” affidavits state.
After the attack, Evans restrained the woman inside of her home for an hour and stole her purse before fleeing the scene, affidavits state.
http://abcnews4.com/news/local/court-documents-outline-thomas-evans-charges-in-detail

That poor poor woman! How did she ever survive that attack? She must have mustered up every bit of strength for her children's sake to survive that. My heart goes out to her, this was traumatize the poor lady for the rest of her life.

God speed to her and her family. I pray he did not sexually assault sweet H as well. Poor sweet girl, witnessing her mother going through that attack and then being taken by that monster.

That poor poor woman! How did she ever survive that attack? She must have mustered up every bit of strength for her children's sake to survive that. My heart goes out to her, this was traumatize the poor lady for the rest of her life.

God speed to her and her family. I pray he did not sexually assault sweet H as well. Poor sweet girl, witnessing her mother going through that attack and then being taken by that monster.
Yeah, her being in different clothes has always bothered me. I think you are exactly right. This mama bear would take any torture she had to, in order for her babies to be left alone. And then she pulled through that so that when they would be suffering the memories, losing her wouldn't be one of them. I'm amazed at her strength.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm confused about the baby in the closet and the shower running.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm thinking he must have taken a shower or tried to force her to take a shower after the attack. As for the baby in the closet, could HT have carried her baby sibling to the closet while mom was being attacked? Her mom told her to run and hide (this part just gets to me every time I read it I cry).

So.....where’s Sharon? Did I miss answer? Is she still missing?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xhononibb
Back