GUILTY SC - Iyana Lowery, 8, found deceased, Marlboro County, 5 May 2017 *mother also found deceased* *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
@PayrollNerd - I have in my notes that the trial is supposed to start January, 2023. Anything yet in the court site about this?

TIA! :)

Finally!!

Jan. 18, 2023

MARLBORO COUNTY, S.C. (WBTW) — Jury selection is set to begin next month for a man accused of killing a Bennettsville mother and her 8-year-old daughter in 2017, according to Deputy Solicitor Kernard Redmond with the 4th Circuit Solicitor’s Office.

Jury selection is set to begin Feb. 6, Redmond said. He said no other details could be provided due to an order limiting pre-trial statements.

Jejuancey Harrington‘s trial was initially scheduled for July 5. The trial was delayed due to scheduling conflicts, Redmond told News13 in June.

Harrington, Jejauncey Fernando
2017A3410100234 Murder

2017A3410100232 Weapons

2017A3410100231 Weapons

2017A3410100235 Robbery

There isn't anything updated on the court site. I guess they don't update the online info often.

Last edited:
2017A3410100234 Murder

2017A3410100232 Weapons

2017A3410100231 Weapons

2017A3410100235 Robbery

There isn't anything updated on the court site. I guess they don't update the online info often.

Thanks for checking. I shall go with what the article says. :)

Monday, February 6th:
*Trial set to begin with Jury Selection (@ am ET) - SC - Iyana Lowery (8) & Ella Lowery (36) (Mom found in home May 5, 2017, Bennettsville; Iyana found in a creek May 14, 2017 in McColl outside of Bennettsville) - *Jejauncey Fernando Harrington (32/now 37) charged & indicted (9/12/17) on 2 counts of murder, kidnapping, 2 counts of possession of a weapon during a violent crime, armed robbery with a deadly weapon, and the use of vehicle without permission with intent to deprive. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek DP.
Iyana's DNA was found in the trunk of Harrington's car.
3/27/20: Filed: Harrington v. Ray et al. Plaintiff: Jejauncey Fernando Harrington; Defendant: Director Ray, Officer Blanche Quick, Officer Michia Johnson & Officer Tammy Moses; Case #: 4:2020cv01198; Filed: 3/27/20 Nature of Suit: Prison: Prison Condition
Trial was set to begin on 7/5/22 was continued due to scheduling conflicts, reset for 2/6/23 with jury selection.

Court info from 1/1/19 thru 12/21/21 reference post #313 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...her-also-found-deceased-arrest.337411/page-16

6/15/22 Update: Harrington filed several motions last year: have solicitor provide written notice of evidence, prevent state from seeking the death penalty against him, preclude public shackling, complete redecoration & transcript of all proceedings, prohibiting defendant from being in jail clothing, incorporate all federal & state constitutional bases, specially setting hearings on all pretrial motions, require constitutional grand jury proceedings, for an order compelling heightened scrutiny & for non-waiver of rights.
6/16/22 Update: Harrington‘s trial was initially scheduled for 7/5/22. The trial was delayed due to scheduling conflicts, No new date set for January, 2023. 1/18/23 Update: Jury selection is set to begin 2/6/23. Deputy Solicitor Kernard Redmond (with the 4th Circuit Solicitor's office) said no other details could be provided due to an order limiting pretrial statements. Harrington‘s trial was initially scheduled for 7/5/22. The trial was delayed due to scheduling conflicts.

Not finding any recent articles on this case...

Tuesday, February 7th:
*Trial continues with Jury Selection (Day 2) (@ am ET) - SC - Iyana Lowery (8) & Ella Lowery (36) (Mom found in home May 5, 2017, Bennettsville; Iyana found in a creek May 14, 2017 in McColl outside of Bennettsville) - *Jejauncey Fernando Harrington (32/now 37) charged & indicted (9/12/17) on 2 counts of murder, kidnapping, 2 counts of possession of a weapon during a violent crime, armed robbery with a deadly weapon, and the use of vehicle without permission with intent to deprive. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek DP.
3/27/20: Filed: Harrington v. Ray et al. Plaintiff: Jejauncey Fernando Harrington; Defendant: Director Ray, Officer Blanche Quick, Officer Michia Johnson & Officer Tammy Moses; Case #: 4:2020cv01198; Filed: 3/27/20 Nature of Suit: Prison: Prison Condition
Trial began on 2/6/23 with jury selection.

Court info from 1/1/19 thru 1/18/23 reference post #368 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...her-also-found-deceased-arrest.337411/page-19

2/6/23 Monday, Jury Selection Day 1: No info available. Jury selection continues on Tuesday, 2/7/23.

That is the only article I could find on this case. So I shall just keep posting until someone tells me different.... :)

Wednesday, February 8th:
*Trial continues with Jury Selection (Day 3) (@ am ET) - SC - Iyana Lowery (8) & Ella Lowery (36) (Mom found in home May 5, 2017, Bennettsville; Iyana found in a creek May 14, 2017 in McColl outside of Bennettsville) - *Jejauncey Fernando Harrington (32/now 37) charged & indicted (9/12/17) on 2 counts of murder, kidnapping, 2 counts of possession of a weapon during a violent crime, armed robbery with a deadly weapon, and the use of vehicle without permission with intent to deprive. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek DP. DA withdrew DP (2/3/23).
Trial began on 2/6/23 with jury selection.

Court info from 1/1/19 thru 1/18/23 reference post #368 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...her-also-found-deceased-arrest.337411/page-19

2/3/23 Update: State withdraws death penalty.
2/6/23 Monday, Jury Selection Day 1: No info available. Jury selection continues on Tuesday, 2/7/23.
2/7/23 Tuesday, Jury Selection Day 2: No idea what is happening… Jury selection continues?? Trial continues on Wednesday, 2/8/23.

well - still not finding anything new - so I shall continue... :) And going to "assume" the jury has been selected & trial starts today! ;)

Thursday, February 9th:
*Trial continues (Day 2) (@ am ET) - SC - Iyana Lowery (8) & Ella Lowery (36) (Mom found in home May 5, 2017, Bennettsville; Iyana found in a creek May 14, 2017 in McColl outside of Bennettsville) - *Jejauncey Fernando Harrington (32/now 37) charged & indicted (9/12/17) on 2 counts of murder, kidnapping, 2 counts of possession of a weapon during a violent crime, armed robbery with a deadly weapon, and the use of vehicle without permission with intent to deprive. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek DP. DA withdrew DP (2/3/23).
Trial began on 2/6/23 with jury selection & ended on 2/7/23. Trial to begin on 2/8/23.

Court info from 1/1/19 thru 2/3/23 reference post #372 here:

2/7/23 Tuesday, Jury Selection Day 2: No idea what is happening… Jury selection continues?? Trial continues on Wednesday, 2/8/23.
2/8/23 Wednesday, Trail Day 1 (maybe): no info available. Trial continues on Thursday, 2/9/23.

In case you can't access this article @Niner, here's a snip:

Circuit Judge Michael Nettles is conducting a bench trial in the case, meaning there is no jury. Prosecutors said Harrington recently waived his right to a jury trial in an agreement that removed the death-penalty option if he is convicted.

Only one witness is expected to testify on Thursday, the 4th Circuit Solicitor’s Office said. The witnesses’ testimony was scheduled in advance of Monday’s start date for the trial because the person was not available next week.

The trial had been scheduled to start with jury selection on Feb. 6 but was pushed back a week after the agreement. The solicitor’s office said prosecutors talked to the victims’ family before signing off on the agreement.

Dang - can not access this article - about the State withdrawing the death penalty on this case... anyone - can you give me a 10% synopsis on this, please? TIA! :)

Here's a snip:

Harrington’s trial was set to take place on February 6.

However, officials said he will now have a bench trial, scheduled to take place on February 13 at the Marlboro County Courthouse in Bennettsville.

Initial testimony will be taken on February 9 in Bennettsville because one of the State’s witnesses will be unavailable during the week of February 13.

Here's a snip:

Harrington’s trial was set to take place on February 6.

However, officials said he will now have a bench trial, scheduled to take place on February 13 at the Marlboro County Courthouse in Bennettsville.

Initial testimony will be taken on February 9 in Bennettsville because one of the State’s witnesses will be unavailable during the week of February 13.

Ah - thank you! I have changed my notes.

So from what I understand - only one witness today & the bench trial continues (for real) on Monday, 2/13.

Can not access this article. Can you help me @PayrollNerd ?

I would like to know the name of the witness(es) & whether there were opening statements by prosecutor Name? & defense attorney name?

And this is is the State's witness that can not be there next week?

TIA!
The Waving Smiley Smiley

I would like to know the name of the witness(es) & whether there were opening statements by prosecutor Name? & defense attorney name?

TIA!
The Waving Smiley Smiley
Snip:

Three witnesses for the State testified Thursday, including a radiologist and forensic scientist.

Harrington has filed several motions since his arrest, including:
  • Motion to have a solicitor provide written notice of evidence
  • Motion to prevent the state from seeking the death penalty against him
  • Motion to preclude public shackling
  • Motion for complete redecoration and transcript of all proceedings
  • Motion prohibiting defendant from being in jail clothing
  • Motion to incorporate all federal and state constitutional bases
  • Motion specially setting hearings on all pre-trial motions
  • Motion to require constitutional grand jury proceedings
  • Motion for an order compelling heightened scrutiny and motion for non-waiver of rights

TIA!
The Waving Smiley Smiley
The article is very vague, no names of witnesses nor attorney's names.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adr5879
Back