SC - Nine killed in Emanuel AME Church shooting, Charleston; Dylann Roof charged #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that some members were offended by my words and for that I humbly apologize. Quotes are respectfully made bold by me.

Actually, it sounds like an annual grant to help all crime victims in the state of South Carolina this fiscal year.

From the link:

BBM

Some of the money. I hope the DOJ clarifies this so people will stop making hateful, racist inferences about buying off victims' families. I harbor no expectation that this incident will make much of a dent in racism in the US. Talk about a payment to victim's families just shows that racism is still alive and well in the US.

Reporting that $29m will be fast tracked to the families is not racist. It is fact. I used an exclamation point to show my own surprise.

Agreed. I thought it was shameful and offensive when I read it suggested here that the victims' families were willing to forgive Roof quickly because they were going to receive a large cash payout. It was a preposterous and mean-spirited inference.

This is the first mass murder when we had many of the victims' family members telling the killer that they forgive him. It would be most difficult for me to forgive the creature overnight if they murdered my child, mother, or father.

That doesn't make a particle of sense. Everybody, right wing, left wing, blogs, msm, and the false flag people are "reprinting" the same thing from the one source said to be Reuters. One article identified the source for the article as Kevin Lewis press spokesman for the Department of Justice. However, there is no indication of such an action when one goes to the department's website.

I think its a phoney story planted to cause outrage.

As is apparent, it was not a phony story meant to cause outrage.

I am concerned about this government action. If, or when, the next mass murder occurs, the killer(s) may target to kill those whom they wish for their families to become millionaires. This law was passed after the evil Sandy Hook massacre. In the past, charities have donated to the victims' families.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/04/where-does-money-donated-victims-mass-shootings-go

I wish to commend the owner of the South Carolina Panthers for paying the funeral expenses for the victims killed during their Bible study at Emmanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church.

In latest hint at more charges, Dylann Roof assigned federal public defenders
The Post and Courier
By Andrew Knapp
Jun 23 2015 4:18 pm Jun 23 10:42 pm

“Two of the top federal public defenders in South Carolina have been assigned to represent suspected Charleston church shooter Dylann Roof, another indication of the FBI’s intent to pursue charges against the 21-year-old.

The agency and federal prosecutors already have confirmed that they’re conducting a hate crimes investigation into the June 17 attack that killed nine black people at Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church.

Assistant U.S. Public Defenders Ann Walsh of Charleston and Bill F. Nettles IV of Florence were assigned Monday to the case, according to an order from Magistrate Judge Bristow Marchant of the U.S. District Court in downtown Charleston.

The order was the first public document filed in connection with the federal case.”​

Article is at:
http://www.postandcourier.com/artic...dylann-roof-assigned-federal-public-defenders

I understand that some members were offended by my words and for that I humbly apologize. Quotes are respectfully made bold by me.

Reporting that $29m will be fast tracked to the families is not racist. It is fact. I used an exclamation point to show my own surprise.

This is the first mass murder when we had many of the victims' family members telling the killer that they forgive him. It would be most difficult for me to forgive the creature overnight if they murdered my child, mother, or father.

As is apparent, it was not a phony story meant to cause outrage.

I am concerned about this government action. If, or when, the next mass murder occurs, the killer(s) may target to kill those whom they wish for their families to become millionaires. This law was passed after the evil Sandy Hook massacre. In the past, charities have donated to the victims' families.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/04/where-does-money-donated-victims-mass-shootings-go

I wish to commend the owner of the South Carolina Panthers for paying the funeral expenses for the victims killed during their Bible study at Emmanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church.

The payments were not "fast-tracked". Following are links to the Crime Victim Funds web sites. Grants are given out annually to states for crime victim compensation and other activities related to crime. The states control and manage the funds and match the federal funds with their own. These federal grants are likely just now arriving because the non-military federal budget process has been hampered for the last several years. States often wait long periods of time to receive grants and matching federal funds for various programs.

Victim Compensation

What Is Crime Victim Compensation?

Crime victim compensation is a direct reimbursement to or on behalf of a crime victim for the following statutorily identified crime-related expenses:

Medical costs.
Funeral and burial costs.
Mental health counseling.
Lost wages or loss of support.

Other compensable expenses may include the replacement orrepair of eyeglasses or other corrective lenses, dental services and devices, prosthetic devices, crime scene cleanup, and forensic sexual assault exams. However, property damage and loss are not covered.

How Are VOCA Funds Allocated for Crime Victim Compensation Programs?

Every state administers a crime victim compensation program that provides financial assistance to victims of both federal and state crimes. Under VOCA, each state compensation program receives an annual grant equal to 60 percent of what the program spends in state money annually. This calculation is based on the state dollars paid out for the federal fiscal year 2 years prior to the year of the federal grant. Although each state administers its own program independently, most programs have similar eligibility requirements and offer comparable types of benefits. No more than 5 percent of each year's VOCA compensation formula grant may be used for administration and training; the rest must be used for awards of compensation to crime victims.

As you can see, the amount of each state's federal grant is a standard percentage match of federal to state funds, with the federal grant amount based on the amount a state paid out to victims 2 years prior.

There's more information at the link below:

http://ojp.gov/ovc/pubs/crimevictimsfundfs/intro.html#VictimComp

According to the link, the minimum amount a state receives is $500,000 per yr. for all victim assistance payments. Though none of the reporters are clear, it seems logical the $29 million that SC received was for the entirety of their annual federal victim assistance grant. Unless you can provide a link that states this $29 million is only for the victims of this massacre, we'll have to assume its the entire annual grant.

As for terrorist killers targeting families likely to get large payouts, how would a terrorist know if one victim was going to be eligible for more federal assistance than another? And why would a terrorist care about making sure their victim earned a lot of money from the government? Terrorists usually hate their victims and don't seem likely to want to help their families in any way.

ETA: the Federal VOCA program was established in 1984, according to the web page below

http://ojp.gov/ovc/about/victimsfund.html

Other victim compensation programs related to Sandy Hook Massacre, 9/11 and other tragedies apparently had separate funds established from private donations. Those probably had more flexibility for compensating victims and people may establish a separate fund for these victims, but the standard federal VOCA has set formulas for how money can be spent. If you've ever had to fill out a federal grant application for a non-profit or agency program, you know those applications are long and complicated.

In latest hint at more charges, Dylann Roof assigned federal public defenders
The Post and Courier
By Andrew Knapp
Jun 23 2015 4:18 pm Jun 23 10:42 pm

“Two of the top federal public defenders in South Carolina have been assigned to represent suspected Charleston church shooter Dylann Roof, another indication of the FBI’s intent to pursue charges against the 21-year-old.

The agency and federal prosecutors already have confirmed that they’re conducting a hate crimes investigation into the June 17 attack that killed nine black people at Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church.

Assistant U.S. Public Defenders Ann Walsh of Charleston and Bill F. Nettles IV of Florence were assigned Monday to the case, according to an order from Magistrate Judge Bristow Marchant of the U.S. District Court in downtown Charleston.

The order was the first public document filed in connection with the federal case.”​

Article is at:
http://www.postandcourier.com/artic...dylann-roof-assigned-federal-public-defenders

Well I am glad because this was such a hateful crime, he was full of racist rhetoric. I find it a shame some don't understand why he was forgiven by the victims....they are full of love and faith. He made a vast mistake when he targeted a bible study group. They have shown the world what it means to be generous of heart. If only we all could have that faith whichever God we believe in.

These families have responded with such grace that it has swept the country into rethinking attitudes about race and racist symbols. That Nikki Haley wants the flag brought down speaks volumes to the effect they have had. All in response to HATE.

I want to see hate crime charges so badly. All I can say is that God must have meant for these beautiful souls to come to him early as a message to the rest of us that things must change. We were to casual, to ready to let racist comments pass especially in the media and politics. We looked at a minority of criminals and tarred the same brush on to the majority of good people who live in pain daily just because of their skin color. I read a comment on sm about a man who refuses to drive the cars he works on in the street. Because he is black and would be stopped by police (they are Tesla's) Yet they need to be test driven so others do it. Can you imagine such a thing? That it would even be imagined by someone that they would be stopped because of skin color??? It is a small story but there are millions of these small stories around the country. And we accepted it. We accepted the confederate flag being flown even though it caused untold pain to a huge amount of people nation wide. We accepted that black unarmed men could be shot to death because somehow they were more dangerous than white unarmed men who are not shot to death on a regular basis. We accepted racist hate groups in the name of free speech and looked away as they proliferated.

If there is one thing Roof has done is blow away the cobwebs in front of our eyes

CIS48suW8AEzPet.jpg

NBC Nightly News ‏@NBCNightlyNews 17m17 minutes ago

Charleston shooting victim Rev. Clementa Pinckney honored at South Carolina State House http://nbcnews.to/1Lv6EHK

Don't be sorry, I thought it was very good! We all need to be reminded to stand up against racism when we see and hear it, instead of walking away.

Well I am glad because this was such a hateful crime, he was full of racist rhetoric. I find it a shame some don't understand why he was forgiven by the victims....they are full of love and faith. He made a vast mistake when he targeted a bible study group. They have shown the world what it means to be generous of heart. If only we all could have that faith whichever God we believe in.

These families have responded with such grace that it has swept the country into rethinking attitudes about race and racist symbols. That Nikki Haley wants the flag brought down speaks volumes to the effect they have had. All in response to HATE.

I want to see hate crime charges so badly. All I can say is that God must have meant for these beautiful souls to come to him early as a message to the rest of us that things must change. We were to casual, to ready to let racist comments pass especially in the media and politics. We looked at a minority of criminals and tarred the same brush on to the majority of good people who live in pain daily just because of their skin color. I read a comment on sm about a man who refuses to drive the cars he works on in the street. Because he is black and would be stopped by police (they are Tesla's) Yet they need to be test driven so others do it. Can you imagine such a thing? That it would even be imagined by someone that they would be stopped because of skin color??? It is a small story but there are millions of these small stories around the country. And we accepted it. We accepted the confederate flag being flown even though it caused untold pain to a huge amount of people nation wide. We accepted that black unarmed men could be shot to death because somehow they were more dangerous than white unarmed men who are not shot to death on a regular basis. We accepted racist hate groups in the name of free speech and looked away as they proliferated.

If there is one thing Roof has done is blow away the cobwebs in front of our eyes
If I could give you a thousand + thumbs up I would!!!!

Who else would have written this for him? It appears he was just parroting the talking points he read on the white supremacist web sites and on hate talk radio. It's the same old litany of complaints these disgusting people have been making since the early days of the KKK. Not very original, nor very intelligent.

what radio stations you listening to?

Web posts before church shooting called for killing black people with .45-caliber gun
The Post and Courier
By Doug Pardue and Glenn Smith
Jun 24 2015 7:30 pm Jun 24 7:49 pm

http://www.postandcourier.com/artic...-called-for-killing-black-with-45-caliber-gun

Three days before a white man killed nine black worshippers at a Bible study, a commenter on the website of a hate group credited with inspiring the killer proposed taking a .45 caliber pistol into a black community to “help mitigate black violent crime at its source.”

It’s not known if Dylann Storm Roof, the man charged with nine counts of murder in the Emanuel church shootings, saw that posting on the Council of Conservative Citizens’ website or was influenced by it.​

Its a very interesting article. Different than some of the other articles..

From the Post and Courier article showing the arrest.

Radio, 911 audio: Bowl haircut led police to ‘Charleston killer’
The Post and Courier
By Melissa Boughton
Jun 23 2015 6:26 pm Jun 23 11:14 pm

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20150623/PC16/150629721

"South Carolina plates on the car Roof was driving turned out to be stolen from a 1995 Mazda out of Little River Inlet, according to radio communications."

...the FBI’s intent to pursue charges against the 21-year-old.

The FBI is an investigative agency; it does not make prosecutorial decisions. That's up to the Attorney General's office.

In latest hint at more charges, Dylann Roof assigned federal public defenders....
In state General Sessions Court, Roof already faces nine counts of murder and a charge of using a firearm in a violent crime.

Is Roof going to be tried in federal and state courts simultaneously? Why will he not be tried by the City of Charleston criminal courts? Compare to James Holmes, who is not being tried by the Fed or the State of Colorado. He is being tried by Arapahoe County, the location of the crime.

Late in the evening of the shooting, the cops had a description:

[video=twitter;611362927615021056]https://twitter.com/CharlestonPD/status/611362927615021056[/video]
"Suspect in shooting on Calhoun St is a w/m approx 21 slender small build...."

When the issue was raised as to how the cops already knew his age before any ID had been made, people pointed out that the cops probably got his car's license plate number from the church parking lot video to make the ID. But now they are saying the car had phony plates:

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20150623/PC16/150629721
The South Carolina plates on the car Roof was driving turned out to be stolen from a 1995 Mazda out of Little River Inlet, according to radio communications.

So the question is raised again: how did they already know he was 21 before anybody IDed him(his father and uncle IDed him to cops the next morning, after the surveillance video stills had been released to the media)?

So the question is raised again: how did they already know he was 21 before anybody IDed him(his father and uncle IDed him to cops the next morning, after the surveillance video stills had been released to the media)?

They never said that they 'knew' -- the estimated his age at 21 -- that's why they said 'approx[imately]'. It just turned out that they were correct.

They never said that they 'knew' -- the estimated his age at 21 -- that's why they said 'approx[imately]'. It just turned out that they were correct.
Exactly!

A better, more peculiar anomaly to ponder is:
When the only information about the shooter reported was his gender, age and a description of the clothes he was wearing, how did Roof's sister decipher that the shooter was her brother and was so confident in this belief that she called law enforcement on Wednesday night?

Again, at the point she called law enforcement the only information reported about the shooter is what I listed above.

It's odd to say the least...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member