SC - Nine killed in Emanuel AME Church shooting, Charleston; Dylann Roof charged #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Charges possible against Charleston church shooter Dylann Roof’s associates
The Herald
July 3, 2015
BY JOHN MONK

"COLUMBIA, SC
A joint state and federal investigation into the activities of accused Charleston church shooter Dylann Roof has widened to include other persons of interest, according to multiple sources familiar with the ongoing investigation.

The expanded scope of the investigation now includes people with whom Roof associated in the weeks before the June 17 shootings of nine African-Americans at Emanuel AME Church in Charleston, the sources said. Roof, 21, of Columbia, is white.

Although it appears Roof traveled alone to and from Charleston on the day of the killings, it is possible others had some knowledge of what he planned to carry out, said the sources, who are not being identified because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the investigation.

Investigators began to explore how much Roof’s associates knew, and when they knew it, after reviewing his cellphone and computer records, the sources said.

Prosecutors are still studying exactly what charges, if any, some of those associates might face, the sources said."​

Read more here: http://www.heraldonline.com/news/state/south-carolina/article26216386.html#storylink=cpy

I wonder if his friend whose house Dylann hung out at weeks before will be included?

Seems bizarre that Dylann would suddenly reignite an old friendship when he is so consumed by his perceived mission. Why would he? I wonder if perhaps he was hoping friends could get him a weapon when he didn't have access to his gun?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3202d77f.gif

Dylann Roof, 4chan, and the New Online Racism

4chan’s trolling culture didn’t just birth Guy Fawkes hacktivism—it also inspired the racist and neo-fascist sites where the Charleston terrorist lurked.

To understand Dylann Roof’s thinking, he tells us, we have to go back to 2012. To Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman, the moment that Roof writes in his manifesto that he was reborn as a white nationalist. Roof’s inspirations are clear in a way that his psychology is not. They go back further than the Martin case into centuries of American history and, along another path, less clearly marked, to the peak years of a now widespread Internet culture, when a new kind of reactionary sensibility was hatched.

EYESR_zps1dff9e53.gif

The Daily Beast

[video=twitter;619150814318329856]https://twitter.com/AP/status/619150814318329856[/video]

Background Check Flaw Let Dylann Roof Get His Gun, FBI Director Says
Huffington Post
Posted: 07/10/2015 1:27 pm EDT

"A flaw in the background check system operated by the FBI, the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, didn't turn up a record of Roof admitting to drug possession, the FBI director told reporters, according to reports.

“We are all sick this happened,” FBI Director James B. Comey said Friday, according to The New York Times. “We wish we could turn back time.”​

There is much more.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/07/10/dylann-roof-gun-flaw-charleston_n_7771526.html

Is it too much to ask for these 'authorities' to get their stories straight?
(dated June 23, 2015)

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ch...-roof-bought-pistol-locally-officials-n380341
Law enforcement officials say the transaction was entirely legal, despite a pending drug charge.
.... Federal law prohibits the sale of a gun to anyone who is "under indictment for" a felony, but the drug charge Roof faces is a misdemeanor under South Carolina law. For that reason, according to several current and former law enforcement officials, the pending charge did not disqualify Roof from buying a gun.

NAACP votes to end its 15-year economic boycott of South Carolina

The civil rights group approved the measure Saturday at its national convention in Philadelphia to end the boycott of tourism and other economic activity. The boycott began in 2000 during debate over the flying of the Confederate flag atop South Carolina's Statehouse dome. The boycott continued after it was moved to a flagpole on Statehouse grounds.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/naacp-ends-15-year-economic-boycott-south-carolina/

David Bruck, death penalty attorney who defended Boston bomber, joins Dylann Roof defense team

"To help Roof fend off any push for capital punishment in federal court, U.S. District Judge Richard Gergel said in an order Thursday that law required Roof to have a “learned” lawyer on death penalty issues.

A South Carolina law graduate and a former public defender here, Bruck is known for helping killers avoid the death penalty at sentencing. The Canadian-born jurist works with the Federal Death Penalty Resource Counsel, an organization founded by the U.S. government that lends expertise to federal public defenders at no cost. It culls some of the best legal defense minds from law firms and academic institutions nationwide..."

http://www.postandcourier.com/artic...-to-be-arraigned-monday-on-33-federal-charges

Dylann Roof arraigned on federal hate crime charges; not guilty pleas are entered

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
Friday July 32, 2015

“A federal magistrate entered not guilty pleas on 33 federal charges, including for hate crimes, for a white man accused of gunning down nine African American parishioners at a church in Charleston, S.C.

During Friday's hearing for 21-year-old Dylann Roof, his attorney told U.S. Magistrate Judge Bristow Marchant that his client wanted to enter a plea of guilty to all the counts. But the lawyer said that because the government hasn't decided whether to seek the death penalty on some of the counts, attorneys could not advise Roof on the issue.

Marchant then entered the not-guilty plea on all counts.”​

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-dylann-roof-arraigned-20150731-story.html

news.yahoo.com/prosecutor-mulling-death-penalty-discuss-church-slayings-155225037.html

Wilson called Roof's actions "the ultimate crime that deserved the ultimate punishment." Wilson said she understands the desire of some victims' families to forgive Roof, but she said forgiveness doesn't eliminate the consequences of his actions.

Let there be swift justice !
:moo:

For the victim's families, loved ones, friends & colleagues, this has to be an unbearable crossroad moment in time because their loss was so targeted, not only on race, but on their very faith; and the welcoming of a stranger into their prayer group that fateful night. -Thoughts and prayers to all those grieving. -Know that your forgiveness will never be forgotten.

If Roof was a lone wolf in this crime, is he part of a larger group with similar intentions? -Did the FBI find evidence (computer, tweet, FB, etc.), or receive a tip that Meek knew specifics when he said he didn't, either before or after the fact? --Or, would the arrest of Meek flush out others? According to the article Meek was one of the first to identify Roof while he was still at large. It's odd because he did call the authorities yet is arrested for withholding, or misrepresenting his statements. I don't think the authorities are dealing with the brightest light bulb in the box with Meeks, but I wonder if the specifics of Roof's plans were known before hand. -Or even worse, that very night.

--Really tragic to think that if someone had knowledge, and did the right thing with it, could it have somehow prevented the massacre? What would the police do if they got a tip like that? The other thing I am reading in comments section of the article is the charge often applies to terrorist groups at the federal level... And, even though it is classified as a hate crime, I do think this crime is an act of domestic terrorism. (imo)

If Roof was a lone wolf in this crime, is he part of a larger group with similar intentions? -Did the FBI find evidence (computer, tweet, FB, etc.), or receive a tip that Meek knew specifics when he said he didn't, either before or after the fact? --Or, would the arrest of Meek flush out others? According to the article Meek was one of the first to identify Roof while he was still at large. It's odd because he did call the authorities yet is arrested for withholding, or misrepresenting his statements. I don't think the authorities are dealing with the brightest light bulb in the box with Meeks, but I wonder if the specifics of Roof's plans were known before hand. -Or even worse, that very night.

--Really tragic to think that if someone had knowledge, and did the right thing with it, could it have somehow prevented the massacre? What would the police do if they got a tip like that? The other thing I am reading in comments section of the article is the charge often applies to terrorist groups at the federal level... And, even though it is classified as a hate crime, I do think this crime is an act of domestic terrorism. (imo)
BBM There have been other cases such as school massacres and the Boston Marathon bombing in which other individuals have had information that could have tipped off authorities to avert a tragedy, but the individuals claimed they didn't take their friend's/acquaintance's comments or actions as a threat at the time, and claimed they didn't "connect-the-dots" until after the fact. Several of the Marathon bombers' friends have been tried and convicted -- I don't know if any have been convicted of accessory to a crime for having prior knowledge of the bombers' plans, but they have been convicted of obstruction of justice for disposing of evidence after the fact.

I have read of several instances in the past year in which school massacres have been averted when someone with knowledge of a plot has alerted authorities. I think more and more high school students and younger are realizing that threats and sinister comments should not be taken lightly. Adults, no matter how young, have no excuse for not realizing the seriousness of such comments and threats, and should be held accountable for withholding incriminating information from authorities. MOO

IF Meek was a co-conspirator and knew that information on Roof's computer and cell phone would incriminate him, he may simply have turned on Roof hoping for more leniency for himself. Again, MOO

SC bills aim to close loophole that allowed Dylann Roof to buy a gun

Roof’s drug arrest last February should have prevented the sale, but data entry errors meant a background check didn’t produce the pertinent details in time. Federal law gives the FBI three business days to tell a gun dealer if someone can’t legally buy a firearm. Once that window expires, as in Roof’s case, the sale can proceed by default.

Proposals by a Democratic senator and Republican House member would extend to 28 days the allowed time for reviewing criminal records. Rep. Doug Brannon said when he learned Roof should not have been allowed to buy the gun, “I was sickened to my stomach.”

“If the law had not had that loophole, I can’t tell you Dylann Roof wouldn’t have gotten a gun, but it wouldn’t have been that gun,” and it should’ve been harder for him to obtain any gun, said Brannon, R-Landrum.

But when three days passed without those details, Roof was allowed to buy the .45-caliber handgun authorities say was used in the June 17 shooting at Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston that killed nine African-Americans.

“We can’t have these mass shootings as just another day in America,” Malloy said. “This is one thing we can do, and it will make a difference.”

Daughter of Charleston shooting victim: 'Six months later, it's hard to believe this happened'

For Gracyn and Kaylin Doctor, the 17th was always just another day, until it became the one to dread. It's been six months since their mother, Depayne Middleton Doctor, was gunned down inside a Charleston, South Carolina church.

"Even six months later, it's hard to believe that all of this has happened," Gracyn said.

The girls told WBTV that on the evening of June 17, their mother went into Wednesday night Bible study at Emanuel AME as she did every week, but she never came out.

"It will get better. Each day away from the actual event is better," Gracyn said. "And I feel like as the days go by, the stronger we'll get, the closer we'll get to being healed."

Trial delayed for Charleston church shooting suspect friend

Authorities say that 21-year-old Meek failed to tell investigators all he knew about Dylann Roof's plans to shoot nine black parishioners at Emanuel AME Church last June.

Delayed until at least May.

As for Roof:

Roof is charged with nine counts of murder in state court and with hate crimes and other charges in federal court.

U.S. District Judge Richard Gergel holds a hearing next week to discuss the status of both federal cases.
http://www.heraldextra.com/news/nat...cle_e5c7d27f-9c89-564e-aaf1-6a672739cedd.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainsilversquirrel