SC - Nine killed in Emanuel AME Church shooting, Charleston; Dylann Roof charged #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Justice Department to fast track $29 Million payment to families of the victims

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/19/us-usa-charleston-assistance-idUSKBN0OZ2CN20150619

This works out to $3.2 Million per family! Is this a normal practice for victims of mass shootings? Did the families of the little children murdered in the Sandy Hook massacre receive Millions in reparations from the Justice Dept? Or the families of the victims killed at Fort Hood?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/19/us-usa-charleston-assistance-idUSKBN0OZ2CN20150619

This works out to $3.2 Million per family! Is this a normal practice for victims of mass shootings? Did the families of the little children murdered in the Sandy Hook massacre receive Millions in reparations from the Justice Dept? Or the families of the victims killed at Fort Hood?

Isn't that for the whole state? Not sure how much families get. Certainly not the millions

$7 billion was distributed to the families of 9/11 victims:

There have been 2,983 families of those who died and received an average of just over $2 million tax-free per claim, according to Kenneth Feinberg, former pro bono administrator of the fund.
In addition, 2,300 physically injured 9/11 victims or those who suffered from respiratory problems cleaning up the World Trade Center were each awarded $400,000 tax-free, on average, Feinberg said.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/september-11-victims-family-seeks-justice/story?id=14364251

I don't know if the $29 million is going directly to the families, but there is definitely a precedent for it. Not saying I agree at all with it.

No -- you're quite mistaken, but it's not your fault. A number of racist websites have tried to persuade their members that this grant for victims of crimes is just a payout to the victims here. But that is not the case. This is a grant that all states have to deal with victims of crime, including people like first responders and the LE who deal with every sort of crime that occurs in a state.

Sorry to go OT, but I find it interesting how out of the 2800 families who had a loved one killed on 9/11, only two refused to accept any money, yet I guarantee you that the majority of the public would say "Why do they get all that money?" and call it ridiculous, selfish, entitled; the same words you see anytime there is a lawsuit in the news. Yet those 9/11 victims do not represent some special group of people with different emotions, motives, and thoughts than the rest of America. It just goes to show that people can scream about "free money" but would be right in line to grab some if the opportunity presented itself.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/september-11-victims-family-seeks-justice/story?id=14364251

I don't know if the $29 million is going directly to the families, but there is definitely a precedent for it. Not saying I agree at all with it.

It may be that the Reuters article is poorly written but the way it is worded the money would be going to the families. If not the families where else would the money be directed? (no businesses were wiped out as happened in Baltimore or Ferguson).

In the wake of the Sandy Hook disaster the DOJ compensated the community of Newtown with $10 Million but it was directed to various agencies such as the United Way to pay for counselling services for family and first responders.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/compensation-for-the-victims-of-the-sandy-hill-school-shooting/5387441

Originally Posted by eileenhawkeye View Post

This was a different situation. The money did not come from the DOJ but from a special fund setup by an act of congress and in exchange for receiving the money the families had to agree not to sue any third party for civil damages , i.e. airlines, building owners, government agencies who could conceivably have a civil liability for the deaths of their loved ones (after all Bush was informed weeks before the attack that Bin Laden planned to use airlines in attacks inside the US so the US government had HUGE liability towards the families).

In the case of the Church killings who are the families going to sue? The penniless killer?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_11th_Victim_Compensation_Fund

It may be that the Reuters article is poorly written but the way it is worded the money would be going to the families

No, the Reuters article suggests no such thing. Perhaps you might share with us the website where you read the Reuters article? Because I've read the article, and it does not suggest that there will be a cash payout to the family of the victims. Mind you, there are a number of racist websites that suggest that this state-wide fund for victims of crime is intended as a payout for the families of victims in Charleston -- and so it could educate us all if you shared with us where you received this interpretation of the facts, as it was not from Reuters, nor was it from MSM. (Or it could just be the way that you interpret facts.)

No -- you're quite mistaken, but it's not your fault. A number of racist websites have tried to persuade their members that this grant for victims of crimes is just a payout to the victims here. But that is not the case. This is a grant that all states have to deal with victims of crime, including people like first responders and the LE who deal with every sort of crime that occurs in a state.

You may be right that the money is going to local agencies and not directly to the families of the victim. I am just going on what was reported by the MSM Reuters

The Justice Department will fast track the sending of $29 million to South Carolina to help families of victims of the mass murder of nine churchgoers at a historic black church in Charleston, a Justice Department spokesman said on Friday.

Yes it is the link that I posted above.

If the money is not all going directly to the families but into crisis counselling $29 Million would buy a hell of a lot of crisis counselling.

portion of the money, allocated under the government's national Crime Victim Assistance Formula Grant program, can be used to provide services to the families of victims of the shootings at Emmanuel AME Church, spokesman Kevin Lewis said.

To put this $29 Million into perspective. In the wake of the Boston Bombings Eric Holder awarded just $8.3 to support the victims and first responsders:

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/attor...lion-support-victims-boston-marathon-bombings

In the Boston bombings there were:

6 people killed
284 people with non-fatal injuries (in many cases life-altering e.g. loss of limbs)
Countless first-responders who had to deal with an unimaginable carnage who will be scarred for life.

Well, I'm still not sure about the details regarding the funding for victims, but you seem confident about them. Regardless, since you've posted this in a public forum, what is your point? Let's say your facts are correct -- what do you make of them? What is up?

Well, I'm still not sure about the details regarding the funding for victims, but you seem confident about them. Regardless, since you've posted this in a public forum, what is your point? Let's say your facts are correct -- what do you make of them? What is up?

The point is this. It appears from MSM reporting that the families of the 9 shooting victims are in line for a big cash windfall (whether they receive all or just part of the $29 million it is not clear from the msm reports). Every day dozens of people are killed as a result of violent crime and their families don't receive anything from the DOJ so the question is why do some victim families receive millions in monetary compensation and others receive nothing?

$15,000 per victim is the limit.

http://www.sova.sc.gov/index.html

The $29 million is federal assistance for the victims of all crimes in the entire state. The news release was that the $29 million dollar grant would be expedited, not that it was newly issued.

Any more than that, would have to be awarded by a court, wouldn't it?

The point is this. It appears from MSM reporting that the families of the 9 shooting victims are in line for a big cash windfall (whether they receive all or just part of the $29 million it is not clear from the msm reports). Every day dozens of people are killed as a result of violent crime and their families don't receive anything from the DOJ so the question is why do some victim families receive millions in monetary compensation and others receive nothing?

Reuters News release

The Justice Department will fast track the sending of $29 million to South Carolina to help families of victims of the mass murder of nine churchgoers at a historic black church in Charleston,
a Justice Department spokesman said on Friday.

An unspecified portion of the money, allocated under the government's national Crime Victim Assistance Formula Grant program, can be used to provide services to the families of victims of the shootings at Emmanuel AME Church, spokesman Kevin Lewis said.

Reuters BBM: From the first line of the Reuters new release, I can see how this could be misinterpreted - imo, it could have been written more clearly.

KevininTO BBM- For victims of violent crime, I wonder where the statistics are that reveal who get millions and who gets nothing, and why? Monies allocated to states are part of the Federal Budget - and are audited. There are many agencies that handle the application and disbursement of funds.

Is there any preferential treatment of funds allocated from one mass murder event to the next? - I think it would be a big deal if that were true.

We know there is definitely preferential treatment when it comes to missing persons. Some (white children from middle-class homes) get thousands of searchers, task forces, hundreds of LE working on the case, the National Guard, use of planes and drones, while most don't get anywhere near that amount of effort. Why would mass murders be any different? I don't think the entire $29 million is going to the families, but I have no doubt there is a disparity between how much money people get. I guarantee you that people on racist websites who think $29 million is being spent directly to the families have no issues with the massive disparities between money spent looking for missing persons.

Anderson Cooper 360° ‏@AC360 7m7 minutes ago

.@POTUS' #AmazingGrace was just one of the stirring moments at the #Charleston memorial: http://cnn.it/1e9bEDL
View summary
0 retweets 4 favorites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members