SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #14

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
<snipped & BBM>

The evidence includes autopsy and crime scene photos, phone records, GPS data, witness statements and thousands other other pages that an unscrupulous media outlet might pay $1 million or more to get, Waters said.

“This case is unique and it is unprecedented in South Carolina history in as much as it combines violent crime with alleged corruption of someone with a law license on a scale that is somewhat inconceivable,” Waters said.

Hardly the only corrupt lawyer or violent murder in SC history and the “scale” is debatable as the Susan Smith case garnered more media than this. The very reason the prosecution exists is to hold people accountable to rules and law so for them to stand up and excuse themselves for disregarding pesky rules of evidence just sets the appeal up like a bowling pin. The current trial doesn’t even matter anymore as this case will probably run for the next decade thanks to this incompetence.

Why not? Do you think Alex will die in jail first?
I think that's a possibility by his own hand or another's.

The prosecution must give all investigative materials to the defense. It's the law.

IMO, the Prosecution is ready to give everything to the Defense. They just wanted certain information protected from dissemination before trial. I agree with Judge Newman's ruling actually.

JMO

Can you believe that Dick had the 'nerve' to suggest AM needs to have a laptop so he can access his discovery while sitting in jail?? They can't spend all day with him there you know (even though they were the ones requesting a speedy trial). Ummmmmmmmm NO, I think not Dick. He then suggested accessing the AG's office, or AM could be transported with security to his offices. Again, ummm, no Dick, I think AM is a big ole' flight risk for sure.

MOO

It's common for inmates to be given their case file on a thumb drive to use while in the jail. I didn't hear what Newman's decision was on that part, did you?

<snipped>

A South Carolina judge sided with prosecutors who asked him to put strict controls on how Alex Murdaugh's defense can review evidence before the disgraced lawyer's murder trial in the deaths of his wife and son.

Monday's contentious hearing started with one of Murdaugh's lawyers interrupting Deputy Attorney General Creighton Waters less than 30 seconds after he started speaking saying prosecutors were “trying to hijack this proceeding."

In the end, Circuit Judge Clifton Newman sided with prosecutors and their desire for the rules to make sure evidence isn't released until Murdaugh's January trial for the June 2021 shootings of his wife and son.

Judge limits how Alex Murdaugh reviews evidence before trial
I loved how when Harpy said his client would be helping them in looking over the evidence because you know he's a lawyer, the prosecutor made sure to answer that statement with, he's not a lawyer anymore...zing

Hardly the only corrupt lawyer or violent murder in SC history and the “scale” is debatable as the Susan Smith case garnered more media than this. The very reason the prosecution exists is to hold people accountable to rules and law so for them to stand up and excuse themselves for disregarding pesky rules of evidence just sets the appeal up like a bowling pin. The current trial doesn’t even matter anymore as this case will probably run for the next decade thanks to this incompetence.
If some evidence overlaps the other crimes AM is accused of that could be a legitimate concern, IMO

If some evidence overlaps the other crimes AM is accused of that could be a legitimate concern, IMO

But just like DH stated, the time for that is done. They have a duty to this case according to court rules and that should be their concern since they have made the murder charges.

The part that screams APPEAL to me was that comment from the hearing about governing how the evidence is handled. It begs the question of what that entails? Does the state want to verify possible defense witnesses due to evidence clearance? I think DH has found out something that SLED shared with the M family and wants to use it to make them look shady. Which let’s face it, isn’t a tough task when it comes to SC law enforcement.

I thought the prosecution very clearly explained the issue with discovery. Harpootlian pulled out of an agreement being put together to protect sensitive information at the last minute. Then, instead of attempting to make it right, he immediately calls a press conference and misrepresents the entire situation to the public to try and score a few points with the public. Then today he attempted to grandstand again by putting people on the stand etc and Judge Newman, rightfully, shut him down.
Now, the defense will get all the discovery as they would have anyway, and the State will get sensitive things protected. All this could have been done weeks ago except Harpootlian wanted to put on a show.

But just like DH stated, the time for that is done. They have a duty to this case according to court rules and that should be their concern since they have made the murder charges.

The part that screams APPEAL to me was that comment from the hearing about governing how the evidence is handled. It begs the question of what that entails? Does the state want to verify possible defense witnesses due to evidence clearance? I think DH has found out something that SLED shared with the M family and wants to use it to make them look shady. Which let’s face it, isn’t a tough task when it comes to SC law enforcement.
I think the prosecutor meant by the how evidence is handled meant just that, who is being allowed to see everything, most importantly that the witnesses's personal information not be available to any who might be tempted to leak it. I think that's a legitimate concern with flash drives and emails bouncing info around between computers...even PI's handling of it needs to be careful. Yhere's a lot of people who have been very afraid to ever speak out against the M's, for going on 100 years it's been ingrained into the community. AJMO

I think the prosecutor meant by the how evidence is handled meant just that, who is being allowed to see everything, most importantly that the witnesses's personal information not be available to any who might be tempted to leak it. I think that's a legitimate concern with flash drives and emails bouncing info around between computers...even PI's handling of it needs to be careful. Yhere's a lot of people who have been very afraid to ever speak out against the M's, for going on 100 years it's been ingrained into the community. AJMO

I just don’t respect getting a murder charge on anybody, rich lawyer or street crackhead, based on anything they wouldn’t be willing to show the world. It’s a murder charge warrant based on secrets? Again, DH gets blamed for showboating but he got a ruling today on the state withholding evidence. I’ve got a feeling that is going to stick with this case.

I just don’t respect getting a murder charge on anybody, rich lawyer or street crackhead, based on anything they wouldn’t be willing to show the world. It’s a murder charge warrant based on secrets? Again, DH gets blamed for showboating but he got a ruling today on the state withholding evidence. I’ve got a feeling that is going to stick with this case.

I don’t really see how this is different from other trials or murder charges that have been brought. The Samantha Josephson trial, the Mollie Tibbett’s trial and others, we had no idea what the prosecutor had on the defendants until things were brought out in the trial.
Harpootlian was going to get the discovery as he should. He made it more complicated by pulling out of the agreement.
My friend worm, I totally respect you and your opinion, as always. I guess we’ll just disagree on this one point.

I don’t really see how this is different from other trials or murder charges that have been brought. The Samantha Josephson trial, the Mollie Tibbett’s trial and others, we had no idea what the prosecutor had on the defendants until things were brought out in the trial.
Harpootlian was going to get the discovery as he should. He made it more complicated by pulling out of the agreement.
My friend worm, I totally respect you and your opinion, as always. I guess we’ll just disagree on this one point.

The ruling was for the defense because they withheld it from the accused, not the public unfortunately. DH got what he needed from this hearing today with that ruling. I just fear that this will be a mess.

@worm, I doubt you are over-cynical. Is it shocking the State also wants a gag order? Maybe not...but... Add this to the recent resignation of the two highly vocal FITNews reporters. Makes me wonder how far and how deep corruption extends in S.C.'s world of AM et al.
I can only imagine what the two FITNews reporters uncovered that we don't know about. This is as deep and corrupt as it gets. jmo

Echoing strongly worded court filings that accused the Attorney General's Office of prosecutorial misconduct, Harpootlian asked Newman for an order requiring prosecutors to turn over their evidence in the case.

“I don’t trust the state to honor the rules," Harpootlian said. "They haven’t so far at this point.”

Waters fired back that he was ready to turn over the discovery material weeks ago until Murdaugh's lawyers suddenly refused to agree to a protective order keeping it secret. He said the material includes data dumps from cellphones, personal identifying information, crime scene photos and other sensitive material that could be worth more than $1 million if an unscrupulous character decided to capitalize on the Murdaugh media frenzy and sell it.

Snipped

Harpootlian, a sharp-tongued Democratic state senator, said his legal team hasn’t gotten a shred of the pre-trial discovery material it needs to hire expert witnesses and begin strategizing Murdaugh’s defense.

Jim Griffin, one of Murdaugh's attorneys, said his client is a lawyer who could help plot his own defense.

Hire expert witnesses and begin strategizing Murdaugh’s defense.?

Jim Griffin, one of Murdaugh's attorneys, said his client is a lawyer who could help plot his own defense.?

I do understand and agree with you about the public's right to know but after seeing the court today and what was said I do get what the concerns are. I tell you I was shocked that AM's lawyers are only allowed to see him an hour every other day! That, in all fairness, doesn't sit well with me. The man's on trial soon for the double murder of his wife and son. He needs more access to his lawyers. If the need is there thry should be able to visit more frequently and for longer period of time. AJMO

I do understand and agree with you about the public's right to know but after seeing the court today and what was said I do get what the concerns are. I tell you I was shocked that AM's lawyers are only allowed to see him an hour every other day! That, in all fairness, doesn't sit well with me. The man's on trial soon for the double murder of his wife and son. He needs more access to his lawyers. If the need is there thry should be able to visit more frequently and for longer period of time. AJMO
Could this lead to a mistrial?

I didn't realize it was stated that the Defense is only allowed to see AM an hour every other day. Maybe I missed that?

The State was not protesting giving Defense discovery, they just wanted the protective order to keep certain information from being shared before trial. That isn't outside the norm, we don't see the evidence until trial.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members