SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #14

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

<Snip>

According to our sources, a dive team search taking place on Tuesday afternoon near Varnville, S.C. – a stone’s throw from the home of the late Randolph Murdaugh III – is tied to the ongoing ‘Murdaugh Murders’ crime and corruption saga.

In fact, the search – which encompasses a stretch of the Coosawhatchie River near Varnville – is specifically tied to the graphic slayings of 52-year-old Maggie Murdaugh, Alex’s wife, and the couple’s younger son, 22-year-old Paul Murdaugh.

“Dive teams are in the water,” one witness told me.

Murdaugh has been charged with two counts of murder and two counts of possessing a weapon during the commission of a violent crime in connection with the killings.

I think once the defense sees all the evidence, they'll put together some plea deal. Too many dirty people will be outted if it goes to trial as well. IMO of course.
Alex is already looking at spending the rest of his life in prison for the financial crimes, so unless the state decides on pursing the death penalty, I just can't imagine this guy will plea.

Apparently the prosecution has 30 days prior to trial in order to make their intention in that regard known, but from reading articles about the likelihood of them actually asking for this to be a death penalty case, it seems to be unlikely.

Alex is nothing if not arrogant too, so I think this one goes the distance.

Alex is already looking at spending the rest of his life in prison for the financial crimes, so unless the state decides on pursing the death penalty, I just can't imagine this guy will plea.

Apparently the prosecution has 30 days prior to trial in order to make their intention in that regard known, but from reading articles about the likelihood of them actually asking for this to be a death penalty case, it seems to be unlikely.

Alex is nothing if not arrogant too, so I think this one goes the distance.
I see your point but I think the fact he'll be in jail the rest of his life for the financial crimes makes it even MORE likely some plea will be put together, if not only to keep all the dirty deeds by others as well under wraps. He is definitely arrogant but he's also super concerned about the family name (which he's already tarnished) and having all the details made public during a trial would be horrible for him. IMO of course. Edit to add: It will be more palatable to the public for him to take a deal if he's already going to jail for life....

I think once the defense sees all the evidence, they'll put together some plea deal. Too many dirty people will be outted if it goes to trial as well. IMO of course.

What would be the benefit to the state for a plea? There appears to be no shortage of evidence nor crimes committed. Maybe some pressure against the state given some of the names that may come out seems the most likely in my opinion

<Snip>

According to our sources, a dive team search taking place on Tuesday afternoon near Varnville, S.C. – a stone’s throw from the home of the late Randolph Murdaugh III – is tied to the ongoing ‘Murdaugh Murders’ crime and corruption saga.

In fact, the search – which encompasses a stretch of the Coosawhatchie River near Varnville – is specifically tied to the graphic slayings of 52-year-old Maggie Murdaugh, Alex’s wife, and the couple’s younger son, 22-year-old Paul Murdaugh.

Murdaugh has been charged with two counts of murder and two counts of possessing a weapon during the commission of a violent crime in connection with the killings.
Wow, maybe the murder weapons?

I think it's a small town and a lot of dirty laundry will be aired. I would bet a lot of people have a lot to lose on both sides of the court room. JMO I certainly hope it goes to trial though.

You were quick on the draw. Ha ha. I added "Maybe some pressure against the state given some of the names that may come out seems the most likely in my opinion"

Wow, maybe the murder weapons?
I would bet a ton of money on it being at least one of the weapons. He had to dispose of it/them somewhere, didn't have a great deal of time, and water makes more sense than anything. It's almost a cliche at this point. You want to dispose of a weapon, chuck it in a body of water.

I would bet a ton of money on it being at least one of the weapons. He had to dispose of it/them somewhere, didn't have a great deal of time, and water makes more sense than anything. It's almost a cliche at this point. You want to dispose of a weapon, chuck it in a body of water.
I wonder if MM's phone was found in this same area?

I think her phone was found off the road close to the murder scene. There is absolutely no reason for anyone but Alex to remove the phone in the first place, but it is odd that he didn't destroy it.
I thought it was Buster that found the phone with the "find my phone" app thing? Just wondering how close in proximity this is in case maybe the phone was meant to end up in the water with the weapon but for whatever reason it didn't. Edit: Ah, yes, I agree there's no reason for anyone other than Alex to remove it.

I thought it was Buster that found the phone with the "find my phone" app thing? Just wondering how close in proximity this is in case maybe the phone was meant to end up in the water with the weapon but for whatever reason it didn't. Edit: Ah, yes, I agree there's no reason for anyone other than Alex to remove it.
So the fits article says that the dive team is searching the water near Alex dad's house, which is some distance from moselle.

"The State" reported that Maggie's phone was found on the road close to Moselle.

So logically, the phone must have been thrown out a car window either prior to Alex traveling to his father's property (most likely), or upon his return (highly unlikely imo).

Sources told the outlet that Paul Murdaugh's phone was found near his body on the night of the June 7 murders but South Carolina Law Enforcement Division detectives on scene had trouble finding Maggie's phone right away. When a family member used their phone's location accessory the next day, they were able to locate her phone on the roadside nearby.

Adventures with Purpose stated recently (can’t find the video) that they always search by bridges for bodies so yes that would make sense to look for guns by a bridge too.

<Snip>

I killed my first deer within yards of where they must be searching....October 1988.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LRebeccaB