SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #14

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The upcoming double murder trial of notorious former South Carolina attorney Richard “Alex” Murdaugh will be a battle between a trio of criminal law masterminds that is expected to captivate a national audience and display the best and brightest of Palmetto State legal prowess.

Last edited:

Creighton Waters has a history of putting "bad guys" away​

Waters has won State Grand Jury indictments on corrupt law enforcement officers, as well as school district and county officials. His work has earned indictments on more than 100 suspects following investigations into drug operations in the state prison system.

He also worked with other prosecutors on major white-collar cases that ranged from the misconduct allegations against former S.C. Speaker of the House Bobby Harrell of Charleston to the $9 billion V.C. Summer nuclear project criminal conspiracy.

Richard Harpootlian: A celebrity attorney with dual experience​

Harpootlian began his career as a prosecutor, deputy solicitor, and solicitor in the Fifth Circuit Solicitor’s Office. As the Fifth Circuit’s chief homicide prosecutor, he prosecuted hundreds of murder cases, including 12 death penalty cases, and defended one of those convictions on appeal before the United States Supreme Court

Jim Griffin has experience defending fraud, corruption cases​

In his criminal practice, Griffin has been the lead trial counsel in a number of cases featured in national and state news publications, magazines and television programs — including one major, televised acquittal — and he has also obtained multi-million-dollar verdicts and settlements for clients in several civil cases.

Judge:
....S.C. Circuit Court Judge Clifton Newman (Kingstree) is presiding over the case and will have some crucial pretrial motions to consider. Among the most important decisions he will make will concern whether or not state prosecutors can use evidence of Murdaugh's many alleged financial crimes as evidence of motive in the murder case.

Creighton Waters has a history of putting "bad guys" away​

Waters has won State Grand Jury indictments on corrupt law enforcement officers, as well as school district and county officials. His work has earned indictments on more than 100 suspects following investigations into drug operations in the state prison system.

He also worked with other prosecutors on major white-collar cases that ranged from the misconduct allegations against former S.C. Speaker of the House Bobby Harrell of Charleston to the $9 billion V.C. Summer nuclear project criminal conspiracy.
I think people have sold Creighton short because of Harpo and Griffin. I am confident in the State's case, it's the jury that scares me the most, but I have to hold out hope for truth. At least Great Grandpa Murdaugh won't be looking down in judgement (painting be removed) :)

MOO

Judge:
....S.C. Circuit Court Judge Clifton Newman (Kingstree) is presiding over the case and will have some crucial pretrial motions to consider. Among the most important decisions he will make will concern whether or not state prosecutors can use evidence of Murdaugh's many alleged financial crimes as evidence of motive in the murder case.

I admire Judge Newman, his decision on admitting the financial misappropriation is huge to the case and I believe he will allow it in. If not, man........

MOO

I think people have sold Creighton short because of Harpo and Griffin. I am confident in the State's case, it's the jury that scares me the most, but I have to hold out hope for truth. At least Great Grandpa Murdaugh won't be looking down in judgement (painting be removed) :)

MOO
I watched Waters making legal arguments against Harpootlian at a couple hearings (video). Each time, CW appeared uneffected when RH put on the bluster; I admired that. Also, CW appeared strong, stood his ground, made what seemed to be good arguments. I've read that CW is a legal wizard and a tireless investigator, so have high hopes for him. There is nothing I like better than watching a strong prosecutor in action, so am really looking forward to this showdown of attorneys.

I'll fret about the jury, hoping for a worthy selection during voir dire.

I admire Judge Newman, his decision on admitting the financial misappropriation is huge to the case and I believe he will allow it in. If not, man........

MOO

So sad... his son just died, may he rest in peace. Having lost a son, I'm beyond sympathic yet concerned for Judge Newman's emotional and mental well-being. However, it may also present a welcome diversion to his grief. Time will tell... I honestly feel like he should recuse himself but he probably will not.

So sad... his son just died, may he rest in peace. Having lost a son, I'm beyond sympathic yet concerned for Judge Newman's emotional and mental well-being. However, it may also present a welcome diversion to his grief. Time will tell... I honestly feel like he should recuse himself but he probably will not.

I'm sad to hear that, but I don't believe he should recuse himself because of it if he feels he can preside fairly and impartially.

MOO

Veteran murder trial prosecutor hired by SC attorney general. Will he join Murdaugh team?​

<snipped>
Weeks before the Jan. 23 start of one of South Carolina’s biggest murder trials — when a jury will decide whether disgraced lawyer Alex Murdaugh is guilty of murdering his wife and son — the South Carolina Attorney General’s Office has hired a veteran homicide prosecutor.

John Meadors, who has prosecuted dozens of murder cases in the trial-by-fire arena of a courtroom, boasts another credential: He has beaten one of Murdaugh’s two top lawyers, Dick Harpootlian, in a high-profile murder case involving a prominent lawyer as a defendant.

Veteran murder trial prosecutor hired by SC attorney general. Will he join Murdaugh team?

Well written article! A few things stand out:
-..."There were no bombshells: for all his unexpected affability, Eddie was careful about what he said, and most of what he told me matched statements that he or his lawyers had already made. We started with the roadside incident. By his account, he’d thought that he was meeting up with Alex to do an odd job, only to discover that he wanted Eddie to shoot him. He’d refused, and wrested the gun from Alex. The weapon had gone off during the struggle, but Eddie was certain that no bullet had hit Alex—suggesting that Alex must have injured his head in some other way. After the scuffle, Eddie said, he had hidden the gun in a place that he intended to keep secret until his “dying day.” None of this was new information, but, when I broached the topic of the double homicide, Eddie mentioned something that surprised me. He claimed that, although he’d spent a lot of time with Alex, he’d never met Maggie and barely knew her sons. (He was close enough to the family, however, to have paid his respects when Randolph Murdaugh III died, shortly after the murders.)"...

-...A portrait of his grandfather, Randolph (Buster) Murdaugh, Jr., hung at the back of the court. (The portrait has been taken down for the trial.) Buster was a notorious reprobate who was linked to an illicit liquor ring. His father, Randolph, Sr., died in what some suspect was a suicide made to look like an accident, staged with the intent of enriching his heirs. Nobody knows what caused his car to stall on railway tracks and get hit by a train one night, but he was in poor health, and his son certainly wasted no time in suing the rail company. Ancestral echoes seem to haunt the family."...

bbm

Alex Murdaugh accomplice Curtis Smith subpoenaed to testify at upcoming murder trial​

<snipped>

Curtis “Eddie” Smith has been subpoenaed to appear as a witness in Alex Murdaugh’s upcoming murder trial.

Smith’s criminal defense attorney, Aimee Zmroczek, has confirmed that Smith, who is accused of conspiring with Murdaugh as part of a money laundering scheme, has been ordered to appear at Murdaugh’s trial.

He was subpoenaed by the state Attorney General’s Office.

Alex Murdaugh accomplice Curtis Smith subpoenaed to testify at upcoming murder trial
Wow, talk about "being between a rock and a hard place". This guy, Curtis “Eddie” Smith is in a pickle.

Seriously, three weeks to select a jury and conduct the trial? I dunno -- I've watched a couple of motion hearings led by Dick Harpootlian so I'll say right now -- good luck with that calendar!

Jan 11, 2023

Disbarred attorney Alex Murdaugh will stand trial beginning in late January in the double slayings of his wife and youngest son. The trial is expected to last three weeks — Jan. 23 through Feb. 10 — according to a scheduling order issued Tuesday by state Judge Bentley Price, the administrative judge for Colleton County, where the trial will take place.

Judge Clifton Newman has been assigned to the case. “Alex is looking forward to his day in court and we are confident that he will be acquitted after an impartial Colleton County jury considers all the evidence,” Murdaugh’s attorneys Dick Harpootlian and Jim Griffin said in a statement Thursday.

Read more at: https://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article267226547.html#storylink=cpy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bwitzke