SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #14

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prosecution subpoenas Snapchat, Google to testify in upcoming Murdaugh trial​

<snipped & BBM> Wowzers

Alex Murdaugh's youngest son Paul sent his friends a Snapchat video shortly before his murder — and it is a key piece of evidence in the state's case against him, South Carolina prosecutors revealed Wednesday in a new court filing.

The disbarred attorney, 54, is slated to go to trial Monday for the double slaying of Paul, 22, and Murdaugh's wife, Maggie, 52, in June 2021.

"Amongst other things, critical to the case is a video sent out to several friends at approximately 7:56 p.m. on the night of the murders," wrote Senior Assistant Deputy Attorney General Creighton Waters in a petition to secure the attendance of a Snapchat witness. "The contents of this video is important to proving the State's case in chief."

Murdaugh murders: mysterious snapchat video 'critical' to case: prosecutors

Last edited:

While the trial is slated to start on Monday, January 23, it could be days before opening arguments are heard in the case. The judge and both the prosecution and defense will need to select 12 jury members from a rather large pool and at least two alternates.

The court will also need to discuss a handful of motions before the trial can get underway. It is a process that could take a few days.

News 2 and counton2.com will provide extensive coverage of the trial, including a livestream from inside the courtroom each day. You can watch that livestream at counton2.com/murdaugh-trial or inside the News 2 appwhich you can download here.

Judge Clifton Newman will preside over the trial. It is expected to last through February 10, 2023, depending on when the trial officially gets underway following jury selection and discussion of the filed motions.

WALTERBORO, S.C. — Hotel rooms have been booked for weeks in this small South Carolina city, about 50 miles west of Charleston, where some residents have advertised their homes on Airbnb for hundreds of dollars a night.

In a parking lot across from the Colleton County Courthouse, food trucks will be catering to an anticipated throng of legal teams, law enforcement, news outlets and members of the public, from true crime enthusiasts to curious gawkers, all converging for what one local newspaper has headlined “the trial of the century.

“The city is not making one cent off of the food trucks. The food trucks are setting up, because we could not feed a lunchtime of one hour, with people having to leave the property, go down to one of the other restaurants. In the city of Walterboro, we have two restaurants on Main Street, both of them would be overwhelmed if we didn’t use the food trucks,” said Grooms.

Bring on the Food Trucks!
(I promise...this is my last mention of the f.t.)

I keep hearing "Baaaaaaald peanuts" aka boiled peanuts. :) I have a feeling this is going to be quite the sheet show outside of the courtroom.

Are they allowing cameras in the courtroom? I wish we could see and hear first hand what's happening inside.
Yes, TV cameras in courtroom.
But not until after jury selection.
moo

I keep hearing "Baaaaaaald peanuts" aka boiled peanuts. :) I have a feeling this is going to be quite the sheet show outside of the courtroom.

Are they allowing cameras in the courtroom? I wish we could see and hear first hand what's happening inside.

Fox Carolina has a link to follow it and I’ve read that HLN or somebody will have it. The camera issue is usually up to the judge.

This is an hour preview to the Sunday special that is audio only. It's very shocking to me to hear from the mouths of these reporters that have lived/worked in this area that the corruption and power stories are all true and that the community does fear the powerful family. Unbelievable...

ETA: My first clue should have been defense requested no change in venue!

Last edited:
This is an hour preview to the Sunday special that is audio only. It's very shocking to me to hear from the mouths of these reporters that have lived/worked in this area that the corruption and power stories are all true and that the community does fear the powerful family. Unbelievable...

ETA: My first clue should have been defense requested no change in venue!

I just listened to this too! I really enjoy these spaces he has been doing lately on Twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member