SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That doesn't make sense. I would think then they would be out of luck.

Not sure I follow ? Who is they ?

The folks named in the civil lawsuit were those who aided and abetted PM's consumption of alcohol to the point where he could not safely navigate the boat - Buster for providing the ID, Parker's convenience for selling PM the booze, and Luther's in Beaufort for serving an underage PM. AM is named as well as the owner of the boat and letting PM take it out.

Not sure I follow ? Who is they ?

The folks named in the civil lawsuit were those who aided and abetted PM's consumption of alcohol to the point where he could not safely navigate the boat - Buster for providing the ID, Parker's convenience for selling PM the booze, and Luther's in Beaufort for serving an underage PM. AM is named as well as the owner of the boat and letting PM take it out.
Buster I can see giving him his license. AM was not there when he took out the boat, they were at someone else's place. I'm not trying to stick up for anyone just trying to understand this. I still do not see why Paul's name was not on the lawsuit. He was an adult, the main adult who caused this.

I really hope the national news media starts shining a brighter light into these cases and this family. If not then I’m afraid these 2 murders will get swept under the rug like the previous ones related to this case. They could easily have some of the SLED officers under their thumb too.

Oh, no question, this case definitely screams future Dateline episodes.

I hope Keith Morrison covers it.

Nobody does atmospheric story-telling like Keith.

JMO.

The Edisto Beach house was/is jointly owned. All of the rest (at least Colleton County props) were quitclaimed to MM in Dec 2016.

Not sure about the 2nd question, but I assume it would only be AM's assets.

To evaluate MM's assets, probate would most likely look at an estate plan/will prepared in MM's name. With AM being a lawyer, I'm sure they had that covered.

qPublic.net - Colleton County, SC - Search

Any connection between the 2016 quitclaim to MM and personal court proceedings? Maid, SS?

To the M's credit, they were willing to enter into settlement negotiations with the family of the victim.

When the settlement talks broke down, they then raised the possibility that one of the other also intoxicated boaters had throttled the motor (not a far fetched possibility- though the driver could have throttled it back down equally fast).

Likewise, the more senior "M" (the one with the money) was being sued indirectly as he was not even present when the accident occurred.

In the end, unless the details of the settlement talks become public (highly unlikely), it can be difficult to say to what extent the M's were playing legal "hard ball" regarding the case.

As the M's know from long experience as "Sue'em" attorneys, some times the plaintiff's attorney can be the one playing legal hard ball in the hopes of winning a mega settlement.

Do we have any info on what caused the settlement talks to stop?

Me too...this could have been Randy Sr. or Randy Jr.

It bothers me that the brothers did a televised interview very quickly, combined with saying “no known enemies” <modsnip>Three decades of court proceedings with no thought of even mildly disgruntled people is unrealistic. Whether on the winning or losing side there are always going to be unresolved emotions along the way. And knowing that the MB civil case was still active how could they think all was well for everyone involved?? Makes no sense to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Murdaugh mystery deepens as murder cold case with ties to family reopens

Some new details in this article. This is a strange comment from a friend of MM. “dragged through the dark to the dog kennels to see the carnage.”

Dragged from where? The main house? Her car?

“She is the victim, having lost her son, being part of the slaughter at the farm, and [having] her world turned upside down,” one woman who claimed to know Maggie told The Post. “Have [people] ever thought of the terror she faced that night being dragged through the dark to the dog kennels to see the carnage?”

The woman said it is impossible to “understand Southern women” if you are from the North.

“The silent grieving will soon end and there will be an eruption like Mt. Vesuvius … mark my words,” she added.

How does this woman know this? It sounds to me like a certain narrative is settling into the community - but I'd sure like some confirmation.

Do we even know if any dogs were harmed? Or that Paul was shot first?

I thought what was found to reopen the SS case was found at the Moselle property? Did I misread it?

My post #187

First article about evidence of link is june22 the apartment was found with door ajar june 8th day after murders by building/maintenance?person. LE went to apartment week preceeding june 18.

Iirc

I thought what was found to reopen the SS case was found at the Moselle property? Did I misread it?

Murdaugh murder case leads SLED to open investigation into Hampton teen's 2015 death

SABBM:

State Law Enforcement Division spokesperson Tommy Crosby confirmed June 22 the agency had opened an investigation into Smith’s death based on information gathered during the course of the case looking into the deaths of Paul Murdaugh, 22, and his mother, Maggie, 52, in Colleton County.
________

LE hasn't disclosed what type of information they've uncovered or where it was found, only that something they've learned as a result of the Murdaugh murders investigation has led them to reopen SS's case.

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, and by other shoe here, I mean an announcement that SLED is also opening an investigation into the "accidental fall" of GS.

I have to believe they're taking a hard look at that one.

JMO.

Last edited:
Having heard no info that there were security cameras at Moselle, I'm thinking this was perpetrated by someone who knew the property well -- well enough to know that they would not be caught on camera. JMO.
And that's why they were way out by the kennels. unless like I said before, it was a bunch of hooligans.

Having heard no info that there were security cameras at Moselle, I'm thinking this was perpetrated by someone who knew the property well -- well enough to know that they would not be caught on camera. JMO.

Also I wondered if they knew AM wouldn’t be there or they thought he would there. Not sure how long AM’s dad was in hospital before AM went to visit.

Do we have any info on what caused the settlement talks to stop?
To the best of my recollection there was a legal dispute with the Murdaugh's insurance company that concluded it was not obligated to pay out as there was a watercraft exclusion and it held up in court. My guess is that is the point at which the family decided to take the actual lawsuit to court, as they would be required to pay any settlement out of pocket.

I’ve assumed that AM got a call that his Father needed to be taken to the hospital. Actually. We don’t know where any of them were when that call came in. Maybe AM was at work and MM and PM at the beach house.

Maybe AM said he’d stay at the Lodge that night because it would be closer to the hospital and his parents…and MM and PM decided to drive to the lodge s well…with the family crisis underway.

Maybe they had just arrived and interrupted something in progress at the kennels. The killers would have had no way to know that a family emergency would bring them there that night.

I'm going to go on record as saying that I ain't buying the suggestion that PM was the sole intended target and that MM was simply "in the wrong place at the wrong time."

It was, after all, the woman's house.
It was after 9 pm on a weeknight.
I'm not exactly sure where else she was supposed to be after dark on a weeknight.

I can't imagine the woman's presence at her own home on a weeknight would come as a complete shock to the killer(s).

I'm seeing signs of someone perhaps planting a false narrative.
Someone may be attempting to muddy the investigative waters so that that LE can't spot the monster slithering beneath the surface.

I'm openly speculating that someone would LIKE us all to believe PM was the sole intended target.
If PM was the sole intended target, the list of suspects is long, indeed.

But if MM was ALSO an intended victim, that list likely becomes considerably shorter, and this case becomes much more straightforward.

I think this will prove to be a two birds/one stone crime.

The fact that two guns were used, notwithstanding.

J.M.O.
I agree and have thought this since the beginning-
Who would benefit from this double murder ??
Of course, if PM was the main target, then the list is long, as you said.
Then just a few days later, dad/grandpa passes away.

I know LE /news has not reported exact spots their bodies were found, but only that they were found by the dog kennels.
Makes me wonder if the dogs were out there and barking if that is what brought them outside or if they were chased out from house area to the kennels area ??

A lot of tragedy surrounding this prominent family, both within the family and outside of family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crunchy Riff