SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The missing funds may be something as simple as a string of bad investments or just living beyond their means. They seemed to live quite an affluent lifestyle with multiple large dwellings and all those cost to run and furnish and maintain. In addition to two sons in college and one with various legal woes.

MOO
Plus! Isn’t his name on the company? I know from family businesses it is awfully easy to mingle your funds, personal and business sometimes overlapping if you own the company.

I don't know, but his son was criminally charged in Mallory Beach's death, and there is nothing but rumor connecting him to the death of the housekeeper. I suspect most of the money was spent on their fairly lavish lifestyle, his opioid addiction, and what have to be quite significant attorneys fees. He's been paying fees for more than two years to multiple attorneys representing PM in the criminal case and himself and BM in the civil case. The legal fees alone are probably well into the multiple six figures.
Really? I seem to remember Paul being charged with boating under the influence, not homicide. You're probably thinking of one of those pesky rumors that we all know never turn out to be true.

Thank you @Countem for your important insights. Greatly appreciated!

I'd love to hear your thoughts concerning a situation where a lawyer has been "diverting lawyer fees from the firm".

Have you ever heard of this?

Thank you in advance,

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/09/07/south-carolina-murdaugh-murders-resignation/

"Attorney Jim Griffin confirmed to The Post that Murdaugh had been accused of “diverting lawyer fees from the firm.”
Maybe it was this type of thing? I didn't know what that meant either.

Ex-Cozen Lawyer Accused of Diverting Law Firm Fees Is Sentenced for Tax Evasion

Anyone wonder how much the life insurance on MM and PM comes out to? Could it be equal to or greater than the amount stolen? Could it be enough to put the stolen money back before anyone found out? Not an accusation, just another theory.

As Raisenback illustrated, it depends on the cash flow of the business.

I am guessing that advertisements of mega million dollar verdicts aside (mean nothing in the end), this firm's cash flow might have been declining for quite some time.

There is a lot of competition from other Sue'em firms for truly viable suits targeting large companies. The state also limited the reach of the lawsuit machine regarding out of county, but still in SC cases. Car accident shake downs and "slipped and fell at Marge's" bring in steady cash, but I am thinking the needed volume is'nt there in rural SC.

So.... following Raisenback's lead, less cash flow means more needed time to embezzle large amounts- unless the thief gets reckless.

I am guessing that the firm partners and even part time attorneys on the periphery know in general terms how the firm was doing simply by studying local court dockets for volume and truly juicy cases (or the lack of both). Big uhmm.... "withdrawals" would probably get noticed.

In the end, I think the embezzler was taking relatively (key word) small amounts over a period of time.

I think the law firm has been described in being the go-to law firm to sue the railroad in the state of South Carolina. A recent settlement was reported at $15 million and they had numerous other such suits in the pipeline according to information about the law firm posted farther back on this complicated thread. This company does not appear to be dependent on clients with quickie slip-and-fall suits.

From what I have read, it was a substantial amount of money that was misappropriated. How long has this been going on. Wasn't this law firm ever audited?
In my state - only our title company audits our escrow /trust account- but it’s because we write title. If we did not - no audits.
Good questions. I am also curious as to how liable the Law Firm is for a Partner's "misappropriating funds". Don't they have a responsibility to their clients to protect them once they have been hired from a firm stand point? I bet the phones are blowing up with people getting in line. I will not be surprised to see that firm blow up and everyone running for personal cover. This is a really big mess.
IMO yes they have a fiduciary responsibility to their clients who they hold monies for in their trust account. We have to have an operating manual for our trust and each lawyer has to sign for their acknowledgment of how these funds are to be used and only one lawyer may sign checks. Each year they must attest to this process when renewing their bar membership.
Good question? Didn’t they have accounting safeguards in place? Most large law firms would have. IMO.
Apparently not - it would indicate to me the same person reconciled their trust account else how could this go unnoticed? I put a process in place where no check may be signed without the source document present - it took years of training to do this when we had more family members involved in the firm and coincidentally happened when they asked me to be a signer so even though I’m not an attorney I had to be responsible so I became somewhat paranoid to make sure everything was done to the letter by everyone - needless to say it was not met well initially. I didn’t care about any ones “feelings”.
Most all firms have safeguards in place to some degree. Of course, in a small firm, that can be difficult, but I would think easier to detect. I am interested to see what money was alleged to be taken, from trust account or operating account or if this was money skimmed before it made it to a firm account. There are various ways I could see it happening, mostly because of past occurrences I have heard of.
My guess is the trust account - very few non lawyers have access to those “books” in my experience but like you I want to see the “how” - JMO
Plus! Isn’t his name on the company? I know from family businesses it is awfully easy to mingle your funds, personal and business sometimes overlapping if you own the company.
That’s a big no no but I can see this happening in a family type firm
Diverting fees? Whatever is paid is not claimed and no record of it?
Yep- usually cash retainers or legal bills paid in cash- also some clients still write their checks to the individual lawyer and not the firm! The minute I see one of those out comes my “for deposit only”stamp (I open all the mail)

this part of the Case fascinates me
JMO

Fascinating stuff. No records. Who does this, and why?

Speculation only: Being an active member of the Solicitor’s Office probably entitled him to carry a badge and opted him into a concealed or open carry permit depending on state law (the permit probably not a big deal in SC). The badge would come in handy for traffic infractions or getting into hospital rooms to speak to witnesses or meeting LE at the scene of a crime. It gave him access. IMHO.

The no records, IMO, means he simply had a sweetheart deal under which he did no work — zero, zilch, nada, zip — for the badge. That wasn’t historically a problem (other than blatant corruption and cronyism), but I suspect people could make it a problem now. MOO.

Hampton County Sheriff's Office
1h ·

HAMPTON COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE
OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE
SEPTEMBER 7, 2021
HAMPTON COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE RESPONDS TO REPORTED SHOOTING INCIDENT
On Saturday, September 4, 2021, at approximately 1:55 pm, Hampton County Sheriff's Office Deputies were dispatched to Old Salkehatchie Highway, in reference to a shooting incident that had already occurred near St. John’s Baptist Church, located at 15385 Old Salkehatchie Highway, Varnville, in the County of Hampton.
While en route, officers were informed that the victim, a 53 year old male, had a gunshot wound to the head, and was being flown out from a landing zone on Charleston Highway for further treatment.
Officers with the Hampton County Sheriff’s Office secured the scene of the incident until investigators with the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) arrived. This incident, in its entirety, has been turned over to and is now under investigation with SLED.

Oh I never thought of that. If there was a divorce in the works, would her lawyers be able to ask for an audit of the law firm? Is that how this all started, Then when things started showing up MM 's lawyers told her to hire a forensic accountant to go over her family's finances too?

It brings to mind The Beach case too. Didn't AM and BM refuse to give their financials? It was yet to be ruled on?
A divorce I'm following has discovery requests for the family business because the STBX is understating income. So far the family business has provided the minimum - I don’t know if they will be in a position to require an audit but I can see making a motion for that and a judge granting it if the discovery continues to be stonewalled.
jmo
Fyi the divorce pleadings for Jennifer Dulos are a textbook of this behavior by the husband IMO

ETA added “see” to “ making a motion”

Last edited:
1h ·

OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE
SEPTEMBER 7, 2021
On Saturday, September 4, 2021, at approximately 1:55 pm, Hampton County Sheriff's Office Deputies were dispatched to Old Salkehatchie Highway, in reference to a shooting incident that had already occurred near St. John’s Baptist Church, located at 15385 Old Salkehatchie Highway, Varnville, in the County of Hampton.
While en route, officers were informed that the victim, a 53 year old male, had a gunshot wound to the head, and was being flown out from a landing zone on Charleston Highway for further treatment.
Officers with the Hampton County Sheriff’s Office secured the scene of the incident until investigators with the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) arrived. This incident, in its entirety, has been turned over to and is now under investigation with SLED.

No one wants this hot potato!! They're all wishing they could turn it over to someone else, jmo

1h ·

OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE
SEPTEMBER 7, 2021

In other words, don’t call or blame us. It’s SLEDs deal.

I don't know, but his son was criminally charged in Mallory Beach's death, and there is nothing but rumor connecting him to the death of the housekeeper. I suspect most of the money was spent on their fairly lavish lifestyle, his opioid addiction, and what have to be quite significant attorneys fees. He's been paying fees for more than two years to multiple attorneys representing PM in the criminal case and himself and BM in the civil case. The legal fees alone are probably well into the multiple six figures.
Those fees must have been hefty. How ironic would that be, the lawyer going broke from lawyer's fees.

No one wants this hot potato!! They're all wishing they could turn it over to someone else, jmo
This is SLED all the way. They’re the ones investigating the double murders, and an investigation of this scope is going to be well beyond the capabilities of the sheriff’s department.

That would have partially been the reason they turned over the double murder investigation to SLED immediately (along with the obvious conflict of interest concerns).

Whoever was investigating the former, would also be investigating the latter. It’s all connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member