SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a thought.

Two vehicles removed probably indicates PM & MM arrived separately. Wonder who arrived first. Has it been said where MM & PM were before they arrived at Moselle. Possible one was killed before the other arrived. Yards apart from each other.? If if if, the killer/s were there when the second murdaugh arrived, they were then shot. I also wonder if they entered the property other then the driveway. 1700 acres across two counties.

I believe only one vehicle was removed, although there were 2 vehicles present at the property.

Just a thought.

Two vehicles removed probably indicates PM & MM arrived separately. Wonder who arrived first. Has it been said where MM & PM were before they arrived at Moselle. Possible one was killed before the other arrived. Yards apart from each other.? If if if, the killer/s were there when the second murdaugh arrived, they were then shot. I also wonder if they entered the property other then the driveway. 1700 acres across two counties.

I had heard early on that the Murdaughs had been staying at the hunting lodge for awhile. That they had been using it pretty much as their residence at the time.
On that night my impression was that PM and MM were already there and were just waiting on AM to return from helping his father.

I had heard early on that the Murdaughs had been staying at the hunting lodge for awhile. That they had been using it pretty much as their residence at the time.
On that night my impression was that PM and MM were already there and were just waiting on AM to return from helping his father.

Could be, but I find articles that are worded that seem to indicate differently.

Maggie and Alex raised their 2 sons in Hampton, South Carolina and enjoyed spending their summers at their beach house in Edisto.

https://obits.postandcourier.com/us...n/name/maggie-murdaugh-obituary?pid=198990874

Then it being referred to Murdaughs property, not home. Confusing

Plenty of bombshells in that reporting if accurate. One gun left at scene. DNA to be compared to DNA regarding Smith death. One boat passenger tested for gun residue. Moselle was used by many people and was loaned out often.

But it’s important to remember that none of these are official statements. The lawyer that contributed the most info would not put his name to the reporting.

Now some questions…

Don’t guns have serial numbers that have to be registered? Seems like that would be a huge break for LE.

I have questions/thoughts about Moselle.

On MM’s FB she links to a post by one of the other Murdaugh brothers..who rents his hunting lodge. He has an unexpected vacancy. He mentions it has an on-site manager. If AM was frequently allowing friends to stay at Moselle certainly he must have had an on-site manager too. The small 2 bedroom home in the utility area would be perfect for housing. So was that person on vacation, no longer employed, out for the evening?

Do these hunting lodges have a gun room where guns and ammunition are stored away from the main lodge? If so, perhaps it was in the utility area near the crime scene…which would give anyone access to guns that technically were registered to the family. If so, the gun removed from the scene might belong to the family but yield DNA, hence the testing. But LE was still looking in the swamp, presumably for another gun.

Has the older brother been tested for DNA…in other words, treated as the other young people around Paul have been treated?

We're hearing more unconfirmed details-
  • Trey Gowdy said Paul & Maggie may have been bound.
  • LE must have DNA from the crime scene (comparison to Smith).
  • A gun was left at the crime scene.
  • One vehicle was towed from the crime scene.
  • SLED re-opened the investigation in Stephen Smith's death based on new information found in the Murdaugh Investigation.
  • DNA from the Murdaugh crime scene to be compared with DNA from Smith case.
  • One of the boat passengers was tested for gunshot residue.
  • SLED was searching a swamp/bridge crossing not far from Moselle.
  • Paul's door to his college apartment was found open the day after the murders.
Puzzle pieces, what are they pointing to?

Could be, but I find articles that are worded that seem to indicate differently.

Maggie and Alex raised their 2 sons in Hampton, South Carolina and enjoyed spending their summers at their beach house in Edisto.

https://obits.postandcourier.com/us...n/name/maggie-murdaugh-obituary?pid=198990874

BBM

They might have been staying at the Moselle property as AM's father was very sick and close to death. I imagine the entire family wanted to spend as much time as possible with him before he died.

We're hearing more unconfirmed details-
  • Trey Gowdy said Paul & Maggie may have been bound.
  • LE must have DNA from the crime scene.
  • A gun was left at the crime scene.
  • One vehicle was towed from the crime scene.
  • SLED re-opened the investigation in Stephen Smith's death based on new information found in the Murdaugh Investigation.
  • DNA from the Murdaugh crime scene to be compared with DNA from Smith case.
  • One of the boat passengers was tested for gunshot residue.
  • SLED was searching a swamp/bridge crossing not far from Moselle.
  • Paul's door to his college apartment was found open the day after the murders.
Puzzle pieces, what are they pointing to?

Apparently nothing yet - we've got about 100 pieces of a 5000 piece jigsaw puzzle.

Not sure if is known about passengers on boat.

But Stone said he recused his office in the aftermath of a deadly 2019 boating crash for which Paul Murdaugh was charged. Mallory Beach, 19, died after the boat she was riding in with several others crashed in Beaufort County.

“In that case, it was immediately apparent Mr. Murdaugh would be a suspect, that his father owned the boat in which those involved were travelling and that other passengers were related to employees of my office,” Stone said. “Thus, any comparison of these cases simply is not apt.”

Solicitor releases statement on killings that targeted prominent Murdaugh family

I live in a small town, rural NC (I am a native), anyone owning a beach property (they don't rent out) an hour or two away lives more at the beach in the summer than back at home. JMO, my guess is the M family lived more in the beach house during the summer months. Maybe they were not expected back at the hunting property and surprised someone. But on the other hand, EB is more populated this time of year than back in rural Colleton County (if this was something planned).

SC has very loose gun laws. I personally know people who are “gun dealers” that often buy-sell-trade guns and want no government involvement at all. Gun show parking lots are very often the point of sale and nobody knows anything. Firearms are as easily found as heat and humidity here.

I live in a small town, rural NC (I am a native), anyone owning a beach property (they don't rent out) an hour or two away lives more at the beach in the summer than back at home. JMO, my guess is the M family lived more in the beach house during the summer months. Maybe they were not expected back at the hunting property and surprised someone. But on the other hand, EB is more populated this time of year than back in rural Colleton County (if this was something planned).

Makes sense about beach property, some folks here in Md do same at ocean city Md. Maybe Alex went to see dad while MM PM checked moselle property. Is it a fact that dogs were on the property? Our last home we had chicken coop with chickens, new owned still have coop up but no chickens.

something I wish I’d caught (tbh have tried not to think about the boating incident:( to not get off track) - what were the circumstances of the crash? EG was boat driven into rocks? or something else? or no collision, just reckless handling? Etc … thanks

My guess is that they were staying at the lodge to be near the very sick patriarch. That night…my current unsubstantiated theory is…that the long-anticipated family emergency finally occurred. I think AM took his car in order to get Dad to the hospital…and MM took her car to stay awhile with Mom. I don’t see PM going over to his grandmothers…if it were my son, he’d have more than likely gone with his father. Or just stayed home and alerted the other relatives for them.

My guess is that this tragic incident began between PM and his killer/killers when he was at the house alone. My current theory is that he was lying there dead when MM arrived on the scene and got out of the car. This necessitated her murder.

I wonder if PM took a gun over to the dog kennel to investigate something or confront someone. He was then shot with their gun. Then someone picked up PM’s gun and shot MM. They may have left PM’s gun there…forgetting about DNA and gun residue.

something I wish I’d caught (tbh have tried not to think about the boating incident:( to not get off track) - what were the circumstances of the crash? EG was boat driven into rocks? or something else? or no collision, just reckless handling? Etc … thanks

They hit a bridge foundation and people got ejected from the boat, including the Beach victim.

A thick fog rolled over Archers Creek as six young friends sped along the water in a 17-foot boat just before 2:30 a.m. on Feb. 24, 2019. When the boat, allegedly driven by Paul Murdaugh, suddenly slammed into a piling near a bridge, all six people were violently tossed from the vehicle.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/06/18/paul-murdaugh-homicide-boat-crash/

Seems anything is possible in this case. Having a hunting lodge and a home at the beach, where would you store weapons?

I’m on the fence about a targeted hit or burglary.

Sunset in Hampton june 7th 8:31 the gun shots if heard would have been odd that time of night for hunting but as rural as it is maybe not.

Seems anything is possible in this case. Having a hunting lodge and a home at the beach, where would you store weapons?

I’m on the fence about a targeted hit or burglary.

Sunset in Hampton june 7th 8:31 the gun shots if heard would have been odd that time of night for hunting but as rural as it is maybe not.

I’m in a rural area and hear gunfire all the time. Targets, hunting, or just to make noise.

I’m in a rural area and hear gunfire all the time. Targets, hunting, or just to make noise.

I have to agree. I live in a rural community with a golf course. The management hires hunters st night to shoot wild pigs because they would make mincemeat of the golf course. We think nothing of hearing gunfire at night.

Summer is also firecracker season on the lake…doesn’t have to be July 4.

My guess is that they were staying at the lodge to be near the very sick patriarch. That night…my current unsubstantiated theory is…that the long-anticipated family emergency finally occurred. I think AM took his car in order to get Dad to the hospital…and MM took her car to stay awhile with Mom. I don’t see PM going over to his grandmothers.
<snipped for emphasis>
I wonder if PM took a gun over to the dog kennel to investigate something or confront someone. He was then shot with their gun...someone picked up PM’s gun and shot MM. They may have left PM’s gun ...

stmarymead I like your logic. I posted my theory in this thread post #874.

‘In your scenario it seamlessly takes care of my main sticking point.I truly believe MM was collateral damage.

So jumping off your talking points the circle is complete. Which is the possibility that the ambusher(s)knew AM would be driving back to the lodge responding to a possible security sensor alert or a text from PM on his mobile.

The ambushers were anxious to get out of there. Perhaps they thought MM vehicle was AM. They had a dead PM and now MM is a witness to their murder so they shot her. They had ‘jumped the shark’. I think their window of opportunity closed after MM murder.The ambusher(s) left.

‘In my unsubstantiated theory AM was the intended target. But the ambushers planned execution luring AM to the CS was thwarted by his delayed arrival. Which necessitated murdering MM. AND in a twisted turn of fate saved AM life.

My unsubstantiated theory.
MOO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics